DirecTV Now

164,092 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nobody Knows My Name
WGann3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Am I moron or is the 7 day trial all you can do from their directvnow.com website right now?

My DirecTV first year pricing is up in April and I want to go ahead and lock in this $35 grandfathered in deal with the free Apple TV while I can because this is the exact package I've been waiting on. No FSSW for a Rangers/Mavs fan was the only real reason I didn't cut the cord earlier.
bigboykin
AG
It has been much better this evening, and I expect a few bugs at launch, but it was virtually unusable last night and this morning.

That's a good idea, the in-laws and my sister are in DFW and Im sure I could work something out with one of them. Nice perk to get FSSW instead of SunSports (even native Floridians don't give a crap about the Rays or Marlins).

I do have a Plex server, but haven't used it in forever for various reasons. Worth a shot though. Wife is the main driver for locals too. She just wants news/GMA going on the morning while getting ready. Not really any specific network shows we want that we can't find elsewhere.

Yeah, free ATV and no contract... It's almost crazy not to try it for 3 months.

Fam is good, man. Hope yours is doing well too.
CRM1712
AG
How does the VOD work for Directv now? Where do you access it?
jtmoney03
AG
Can I do this as a current DTV subscriber, off contract? I'd like to test it out and get the Apple TV. If it's not cutting it, I'll just stay with DTV. I'd be willing to drop $105 now and give it a test run, maybe cancelling DTV in the middle, for the chance at that massive savings if it all works out. Wasn't sure if they would let you have both services.
AggieFrog
AG
jtmoney03 said:

Can I do this as a current DTV subscriber, off contract? I'd like to test it out and get the Apple TV. If it's not cutting it, I'll just stay with DTV. I'd be willing to drop $105 now and give it a test run, maybe cancelling DTV in the middle, for the chance at that massive savings if it all works out. Wasn't sure if they would let you have both services.

Sure can. That's exactly what I'm doing.
WGann3
AG
WGann3 said:

Am I moron or is the 7 day trial all you can do from their directvnow.com website right now?

My DirecTV first year pricing is up in April and I want to go ahead and lock in this $35 grandfathered in deal with the free Apple TV while I can because this is the exact package I've been waiting on. No FSSW for a Rangers/Mavs fan was the only real reason I didn't cut the cord earlier.
I'm just a moron... Once you enter your email address and password on that 7 Day Free Trial screen it prompts you to pick your package and what not.
AggieLong
AG
Signed up today. I was already thinking about dropping Uverse for sling. With the free Apple TV and grandfathered pricing, it was hard to pass this deal up.
WGann3
AG
AggieLong said:

Signed up today. I was already thinking about dropping Uverse for sling. With the free Apple TV and grandfathered pricing, it was hard to pass this deal up.
I just did the same. This is the package I've been waiting on to finally cut the cord... I've still got 4 months left on my regular DirecTV contract but that $60 for $35 locked in for pretty much forever made taking a small leap of faith totally worth it in my opinion.
CoolAggie
AG
Any word on whether they will increase the # of concurrent streams? Two works fine for me on the weekdays but need at least 3-4 on the weekends. This is what I like about PS Vue.
drewser95
AG
mugwurt said:

It does say it will take a couple weeks to receive the AppleTV. Hopefully it arrives quicker than that.
This guy was able to get it same-day by walking into an AT&T store:
Hands-on with AT&T's new DirecTV Now streaming TV service

Quote:

I thought it sounded a little too good to be true until I walked into an AT&T store, pre-paid for three months of service, and walked out with a new Apple TV.

klsmith89
AG
So what's everyone's current opinion of the service? I'm really debating which service to cut the cord with.
No DVR is a major drawback for us. Every show we watch is recorded. And no NBC, CBS, or Fox for Houston area?? Also, no Root Sports is tough.
I've been reading and hearing that PSVue is still better. What say you?
dave99ag
AG
I'm streaming the Western Michigan game on ESPN2 via Chromecast. There is compression, but not lots different than DirecTV.

A deal breaker in the long run is lack of locals (no ABC, CBS, NBC or Fox in B/CS) and DVR. I've got 3 months to test it out though.
TX_AG_10
AG
Just got my Fire stick. Pretty impressed it only took a couple days!
TexasAggie008
AG
Dang really? Did you get an email saying it had sent ? Maybe I'll get Apple TV earlier than expected
TX_AG_10
AG
No email. Just a knock at the door today!
YouBet
AG
So I have dumb HW questions... We are 100% AT&T ecosystem: wireless, uverse internet, Digital Life security (which sucks; don't get it), and DTV.

If I switch to DTV Now what HW do I need to continue running my tvs? We have 3 tvs we use regularly and the only HW I have outside of DTV Genie boxes are an Xbox 1, Xbox 360, and a Google Chromecast.

I would get an Apple TV with the deal so that would handle one tv but what about the other two?
boy09
AG
YouBet said:

Xbox 1, Xbox 360, and a Google Chromecast.

I would get an Apple TV with the deal so that would handle one tv but what about the other two?

Google Chromecast is supported, but only with Android devices. Chromecast with iOS devices is supposed to be coming later. The DTV Now website just says Xbox One is "not yet supported".
BEaggie08
AG
YouBet said:

So I have dumb HW questions... We are 100% AT&T ecosystem: wireless, uverse internet, Digital Life security (which sucks; don't get it), and DTV.

If I switch to DTV Now what HW do I need to continue running my tvs? We have 3 tvs we use regularly and the only HW I have outside of DTV Genie boxes are an Xbox 1, Xbox 360, and a Google Chromecast.

. I'd probably opt for a couple of FireTv sticks in that scenario.
Pman17
AG
Tempted to lock in the rate for the future. I already pay for Xfinity TV. Though I work on a boat half the year with an unlimited hotspot. That Apple TV is a hell of a deal. Gonna try to stop by AT&T next week.

Wish these expensive TV services included streaming like this, they do but not to TV sticks.
CRM1712
AG
I went in to at&t store today and signed up and got Apple TV. In Houston and get ABC and Fox. Live TV has been flawless. The on demand shows are obviously a problem right now But I figure that'll get fixed in short order. Hoping they are able to get connected with more individual network apps As I'd prefer to use those then VOD through DTVnow.
Post removed:
by user
dave99ag
AG
I may need to "move" to Houston to at least get ABC and Fox since there's nothing in CS.
suprafly03
AG
SheriffBarclay said:

Signed up Thursday night, I've yet to have a live TV channel actually load in 3 days of trying. Errors every time, every channel.

Hard wired to router, Netflix, prime, every other streaming service works flawlessly.
That is crazy. I have used mine with perfect results for two days straight.

I'm thrilled!
suprafly03
AG
dave99ag said:

I may need to "move" to Houston to at least get ABC and Fox since there's nothing in CS.
I'd like to know how this would work...I'd happily "move" from Tyler to dfw for that.
dave99ag
AG
I think you just need to change your service address; same with regular DirecTV. I did that for years to get Houston locals. I really don't care about locals, but DTV Now doesn't even offer national locals.
SteveG
AG
Great info in this thread!

Somebody please help a tech idiot. I am seriously considering this and want to know more about chrome cast. On the directv now web site it says it is supported. On this thread and others in app review on Apple it says it is not.

I have 2 Apple tv (v2 and v4). chrome cast (early v and brand new one). I have apple 7 phone and iPad (3?). Why would the chrome cast not work for me on those tvs that have it? Can't I just cast from my iPad or phone?

I hate cox and would like nothing more than to ditch them.

TIA
aggielax48
AG
Anybody compare PSVue vs. DirectTVNow? The grandfathered price has me interested, currently have Rokus with Amazon Prime so getting back some cable at a lower price is appealing.

I have an all Android ecosystem, is apple TV fairly standalone or might I be better off with the fire TV stick if I try it out?

Might do the trial of each, although with Rokus I don't have a good avenue to try the DirectTV.
RangerRick9211
AG
Chromecast support on Android only. iOS didn't get it.
Bregxit
AG
VOD library is still all jacked up.
klsmith89
AG
I'm really enjoying the live DTV Now so far. There are definitely some improvements they need to make, but it's worth getting in on the $35/month rate right now. We're keeping cable for a couple more months till they can get the rest worked out (DVR, NBC, CBS, on demand, etc). Excited for my free Apple TV too.
Post removed:
by user
SlackerAg
AG
Maybe the DNS settings need to be changed.
txag2k
AG
Signed up for the 3 mo. deal with free Apple TV. Now that football season is winding down, it will be easy to drop DirecTV's $225/mo fees.
zip04
AG
Can't speak to Direct TV Now, but really like PSVue. I switched from Sling to PSVue and am glad I did. DTV Now has more channels (PSVue had MTV and a few others until recently, so it may get them back), but the PSVue stores shows in the cloud for 28 days. I stream it on my PS4 in the living room and an Apple TV in the bedroom (was using PS3 until they added the Apple TV app). Works flawlessly.

What I'm curious about is whether I could give up HULU if I switched to DTV Now. Cut that service and with $10 cheaper HBO, I would save another $20/month. We use HULU for shows like Designated Survivor, Last Man on Earth, etc.

Edit: Just saw HULU will be releasing their own live streaming service. I'm going to keep PSVue until that comes out and then compare.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/01/hulus-live-tv-streaming-service-will-have-channels-from-fox-disney-including-abc-espn-more/
TxAggieBand85
AG
Really exciting times for home entertainment delivery. Price points being driven down, then pay for convenience which is important to the buyer. And now the entertainment is really portable within the US*. One great feature of the new services is the month to month model. The providers will always have to be on top of their game, otherwise we will simply switch.

I cut the cord for Sling in August. Now doing DirecTV Now and the first switch was mostly painless. When I subscribed to Sling, I put a Fire TV Stick on each television.

Like many others, the breaking point was a triple digit bill for U-Verse on the television part. I got tired to calling and 'reducing my bill'. I liked U-Verse but not the delta of the payment versus the base price of the streaming services.

Really interesting to see the user comments on DVR available or no DVR. I understand on not wanting to view ads.

I got an OTA** DVR for $50 at Wal Mart. It is clumsy, but it works. Able to do the few CBS shows without subscribing to All Access. Was considering doing Tablo, but the $150 to $250 price delta was huge.
I am personally in the mind set that if a service with advertising wants to be in my home, then they will find a way to make that happen. No NFL Network, no LAstros, no whatever. When those services are not available there is always something else to take up the entertainment time.

*Speaking for legal usage of the service. I am quite aware of the many ways to steal services.
**OTA Over the Air

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.