DirecTV Now

164,065 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nobody Knows My Name
bigboykin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

bigboykin said:

Ordered 11/30 and got my ATV today.

So far, the lack of live TV pause/rewind and lack of local channels are the two glaring issues for us. My wife officially "hates" it, so i don't know if I'll be able to hold out long term. I'm going to try to get her to stick out the 3 months and see if she comes around and/or they are some missing features.
No, pause. But you can kind-of rewind. If you click on a channel, not a program, there is a 72 hr. back-log.
But if you go back and play a show from earlier, can you pause/rewind in-show? My issue is that I have loud ass dogs and loud ass kids and somebody is always making noise or needing a diaper change, more milk, etc. so I miss parts of shows or even just a few lines of dialogue. I like to be able to pause it to go do those things and/or rewind it to see and hear what I missed.

Can anybody expand on the differences/improvements of navigation and functionality with ATV vs. Fire stick? I got my ATV, but I'm debating whether to keep it or keep it factory sealed and resell. I'm sure it's nice and all, but is it worth $100?

AggieFrog
AG
Ordered first day and am still waiting for my Apple TV this way.
Bregxit
AG
AggieFrog said:

Mine just arrived yesterday and I ordered day 1 also. Should be any day I'd guess.
AggieFrog
AG
dlance said:

AggieFrog said:

Mine just arrived yesterday and I ordered day 1 also. Should be any day I'd guess.

Delivered just now. Never got a shipment email.
zurcaled11
AG
As far as I know there isn't an Xbox One app for direct TV now, correct?
Bregxit
AG
zurcaled11 said:

Not at the moment.
Pman17
AG
zurcaled11 said:

I hope they make one soon, I've got my Fire Stick plugged into my Xbox One.
RangerRick9211
AG
WTF: "NFL Football is blacked out in your area on Fox Houston".
TX_AG_10
AG
Not on PSVue mobile either, FWIW
ElectricAg13
AG
Are you viewing on mobile or on some sort of streaming device connected to a tv?
hph6203
AG
Verizon has exclusive rights to mobile streaming for NFlL. It'll only work on a streaming box.
bmc13
AG
hph6203 said:

Verizon has exclusive rights to mobile streaming for NFL. It'll only work on a streaming box.

I hate that deal 10 times more than the Sunday ticket deal. such crap from a fan's perspective
Agmechanic
AG
I cant get the dtv now app to work right on the fire tv.
TX_AG_10
AG
I can get mine to load, but the audio is always out of sync. Does it on every channel. Kind of frustrating..
AggieLong
AG
Just got email notification that my Apple TV shipped Dec 11th. I signed up Dec 2nd.
Pman17
AG
Me too, signed up like the 5th or 6th. Email says by the 17th.
BEaggie08
AG
bigboykin said:

RangerRick9211 said:

bigboykin said:

Ordered 11/30 and got my ATV today.

So far, the lack of live TV pause/rewind and lack of local channels are the two glaring issues for us. My wife officially "hates" it, so i don't know if I'll be able to hold out long term. I'm going to try to get her to stick out the 3 months and see if she comes around and/or they are some missing features.
No, pause. But you can kind-of rewind. If you click on a channel, not a program, there is a 72 hr. back-log.
But if you go back and play a show from earlier, can you pause/rewind in-show? My issue is that I have loud ass dogs and loud ass kids and somebody is always making noise or needing a diaper change, more milk, etc. so I miss parts of shows or even just a few lines of dialogue. I like to be able to pause it to go do those things and/or rewind it to see and hear what I missed.

Can anybody expand on the differences/improvements of navigation and functionality with ATV vs. Fire stick? I got my ATV, but I'm debating whether to keep it or keep it factory sealed and resell. I'm sure it's nice and all, but is it worth $100?

I opened up my Apple TV on Saturday night, got it updated, and most of the apps I want installed.

The Bad: No Amazon Instant Streaming app. You can still stream to the Apple TV using Airplay, but there is no app available at this time. Apparently Amazon isn't cool with giving Apple 30% of their sales on the device. If a compromise could be struck, then I imagine we'd see an app quickly, but I wouldn't count on it.

The Good: I was going to say interface. I played around with the Apple TV on Saturday night and throughout the day Sunday. I really liked the navigation much better than that of the Fire TV. I have grown really tired of the original Fire TV interface. - totally personal preference though. Well, low and behold, I moved the Fire TV to my bedroom on Sunday and it updated to the new interface. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but it looks like it may be similar to the Apple TV setup.

I have the 4k version of the Fire TV and it has been giving me fits with Plex lately. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times. Everything is running smooth on the Apple TV as of now. I have watched a couple of movies on Plex with no problems, watched some stuff on Hulu and Netflix as well. All seamless and smooth with good, clear video. I also attempted to watch the Cowboys v Giants game on the NBC Sports app. It looked horrible. Had to switch over to Dish.

Apple TV has voice dictation. You can use this when entering usernames and passwords for your apps. This is very nice.

I'll stick with the Apple TV in the living room, primarily because Plex works on it, but I'll keep the FireTV for the bedroom.

If there is anything specific you want to know, feel free to ask. If you want screenshots or video of anything, I'd be happy to give that a shot.
BEaggie08
AG
And by the way - I received my Apple TV on 12/10, and then received the shipping notice from DirecTV Now on 12/11. Nice.
WGann3
AG
I ordered on December 2nd and just got a tracking notification today. Looks like it's scheduled to be delivered on Wednesday the 14th by end of day. Pretty pumped to play around with this bad boy and if all goes well, cancel my regular DirecTV subscription.
Cloud
I love the ATV4. Very smooth in all facets.

However, AT&T's DirecTV Now app is ****ing horrible. Every other night it's pretty much unwatchable between freezing, error codes, and just straight up refusing to play. If it doesn't improve in 3 months I'll be looking elsewhere.
coastalAg
AG
I received my AppleTV on Saturday and then received the shipping notification Sunday as well...

I like the AppleTV interface and app better than the Amazon Fire so that has become my primary viewing device.

I was having a lot of reliability issues up until Friday night's outage, but has seemed pretty stable since.

Biggest thing I would like to see is improved on demand or more watch anywhere authentication options. True DVR is not as important to me if I can watch on demand.

Only content changes I would really like to see are local NBC and CBS, NFL Network, and Root Sports, but those arent deal breakers.

Overall, I am relatively happy. I will probably stick with DirecTVNow until Hulu launches their service and evaluate everything again. Having flexibility as a consumer is one of the best parts of these streaming services in my mind.
Ferg
CBS All Access has live streaming in a lot of markets. Its another $6/Month, but might be worth checking out.
BEaggie08
AG
Ferg said:

CBS All Access has live streaming in a lot of markets. Its another $6/Month, but might be worth checking out.
That's the rub for me. I have a hard time paying $72 a year for content that is otherwise free. They're barely charging less than what I pay for Netflix, where I can watch a wider variety and larger amount of content. I can afford it, but I just have a hard time getting over the fee.
TexasAggie008
AG
Assuming one lives in a city, why not just order a $30 fancy rabbit ears antenna on Amazon and get them all for free?

It takes maybe 20-30 mins at most to set up. In Dallas I get all but WFAA, which I think broadcasts on a different frequency..or something.
dave99ag
AG
All of this streaming stuff reminds me of the early days of HD.

I had a big ass antenna setup to pickup HD signals all the way down in Missouri City where the Houston antennas are located. CBS was easy in CS, but ABC, NBC and Fox weren't that easy.

I feel like I'm going backwards trying to cordcut from DirecTV with DirecTV Now. Early adoption woes and not sure I want to deal with it until they get those locals figured out completely.
WGann3
AG
Got my Apple TV this afternoon and got a chance to stream a few hoops games on SEC Network and Fox Sports SW and didn't have any issues or interruptions whatsoever. Being able to get my regional Fox Sports channel was what finally drove me to try a streaming service out and so far I'm extremely happy that I did. If the performance is like this over the weekend I'll be calling and cancelling my regular DirecTV.
ktownag08
AG
Switched from PS Vue to DirecTV Now. Overall, experience has been great using the Amazon Fire TV.

We've been cord cutters for a few years now and the minor hiccups DirecTV Now has had pale in comparison to when we first got Sling TV. Interface is quicker, mostly well laid out, and little if any buffer. Was an app issue I believe at I've point, but I just switched to Netflix. No different than cable randomly going out IMO.

Wife and I liked PS Vue, but them losing the Viacom channels and DirecTV $35 deal for a LOT of channels was a no brainer. I look forward to the continued competition making the offerings even better.

I really can't ever see going back to a dish or traditional cable after cord cutting. It's been great saving money, overall watching less TV, and having flexibility to start/stop/change services at will.

For anyone in the fence, there's really no downside. Can always go back to your cable/dish provider if you don't like it.
Pman17
AG
Got my Apple TV today!
Thomas Ford 91
AG
Hooked up the AppleTV 4 today. Very impressed. We have a couple of prior generation ATVs and this thing blows them away. Most pleasant surprise is that it automatically controls the tv and the sound bar.

This eliminates a Harmony One remote and transmitters, an IR switch, a uverse box, and a 3rd gen AppleTV.

And, finding kid shows by dictation is a game changer. We have PJ Mask in less than 15 seconds!

So far, no complaints about DirectTV Now.
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
Is there playback really bad for y'all? We're trying it out now and the frame rate is awful. It's very choppy and nothing like streaming from a service like Netflix. I just ordered it so I'll see if it improves on Apple TV when it arrives. We're currently using Fire TV sticks.
Bregxit
AG
Playback is incredibly good on mine both on mobile and Apple TV.
lobwedgephil
Playback has been great for me.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
Everything was already choppy on my fire stick, which is why I quit using it. I prefer my tv hardwired.
TexasAggie008
AG
To clarify

You can only re start a show and watch as is, no fast forward, right? Want to make sure I'm not missing something here
TxAggieBand85
AG
Hope the following helps some folks.

I cut the cord in August. Dropped U-Verse due to bill being high, but for the record, U-Verse delivered what was stated. The ability to move Settop boxes to where ever there is WiFi and electricity. Started with Sling and now using DirecTV Now.

So the times are a changing. We get lots of entertainment from various sources, mostly available from a high speed Internet connection. Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, CBS All Access, HBO Now and others. Add up the cost of these plus a high cable bill from Comcast, Time Warner, DirecTV and others makes for a compelling reason for most households to re-evaluate the entertainment options.

I'm on the edge of reasonable OTA* availability. Now have an antenna in the attic and can get NBC, ABC, Fox and some other channels. CBS remains elusive, but mostly works. PBS remains unavailable at my home. Guess no Downton Abby* this January.

Sling worked great, call it up on demand and it starts streaming. If the number of streams was exceeded, a player was halted. This is not the case with DirecTV now, if streams is exceeded, then I have to track down where it is playing and halt. I added a low end OTA DVR**, found it at Wal Mart for $50. It works but is clumsy.

There are more providers coming for streaming content, going to be great deal after another. I really like the no contract, bring my own device and my provider has to earn my business every month. I have 3 Fire Sticks and 1 Apply TV 4. Also have multiple Apple TV 3. I'm really disappointed with Apple to drop much support for the Apple TV 3, thus the Fire Sticks arrived.

Fire Sticks deliver varying performance with DirecTV Now, sometimes choppy. The Apple TV 4 is normally really clean, both hardwired to ISP Router or WiFi. I do stream with iPads and iPhones also.

Lack of DVR is an issue, but for the $70 delta it is not worth it. I can do lots of commercials for the price. 2 Steams at a time is acceptable, just have to manage it.

*OTA Over the Air
** RCA model. Very clumsy, but hook up to antenna and figure out the interface and can get OTA recording.
*** I know Downton Abby is finished.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.