DirecTV Now

164,102 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nobody Knows My Name
WoMD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Heismenberg said:

Haven't had any issues with it. Got the free Apple TV with pre paying for 3 months of the cheapest package. When the 3 months is up I'll be switching to YouTube TV as they offer all local channels in my area. DirecTV Now doesn't give me any. PS Vue gives me CBS but none of the others. That's going to be a no for me come football season.

Funny, for some reason today all the locals are showing at least 4 feeds on the guide (except CBS, which shows one). I think they're from different markets, since some are showing different programming. You can have one of my extras.
Charpie
AG
Can't you change that now? I thought your locals traveled with you? So simply saying you live in someplace that has all the locals should work, no?

And dammit, why haven't I tried this out yet
WoMD
Charpie said:

Can't you change that now? I thought your locals traveled with you? So simply saying you live in someplace that has all the locals should work, no?

And dammit, why haven't I tried this out yet

I think they're based on billing address. I've always had Bay Area locals, now I get others in additional to those. I haven't tried any of them, but one was from Detroit based on the programming description. Just popped up yesterday, no idea why. No one else have this?
Objective Aggie
AG
when i travel i get no locals. What do I need to do?
agdaddy04
AG
No way around that.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Well crap...I was all ready to pull the trigger and pay for 3 months up front to get Apple TV then I checked to see what locals were available in my area....none. That's a deal breaker for me. I wonder how long it would be before I got locals?
Ag12thman
AG
I have DirecTV Now and they don't do my locals either. I just have a small antenna and am getting those over the air (old school, yes, I know). I can't record anything off them is the issue. Not sure if they make a separate DVR I could run that over-the-air signal through to record, for example, Aggie football games when we play on CBS this upcoming season or not. Guess I need to check Amazon and/or do a little stand-alone DVR research.
texag06ish
AG
I wish the app was better intigrated with Siri. For example, if I asked Siri (via the Apple TV remote) to search for "FIFA World Cup Games" it would be nice if it would open the DTVNOW app and change it to the proper station.
Objective Aggie
AG
texag06ish said:

I wish the app was better intigrated with Siri. For example, if I asked Siri (via the Apple TV remote) to search for "FIFA World Cup Games" it would be nice if it would open the DTVNOW app and change it to the proper station.

Agree. Works on netflix. But not DTVN.
nwspmp
easttexasaggie04 said:

Well crap...I was all ready to pull the trigger and pay for 3 months up front to get Apple TV then I checked to see what locals were available in my area....none. That's a deal breaker for me. I wonder how long it would be before I got locals?
If you're considering going to a AppleTV 4K anyway, just consider the DTVNow 3 month promotion an aTV for ~$50 off.

What I do for locals is this;
https://shop.silicondust.com/shop/product-category/hardware/?scrollto=410837

Plus the Channels app ($25) or Plex server with the DVR additions.

Gets me the best of all the worlds; good DTVNow, locals and DVR.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Oh wow I've never heard of this... haha. This puts a whole new wrinkle in things...do you mind explaining what this is?? Sorry, I'm not quite as tech savvy as some. I apologize in advance.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Should I go that route with the additional equipment or opt for YouTube TV that has locals where I live for $40/month? And just wait until DTV gets locals then switch?
nwspmp
easttexasaggie04 said:

Should I go that route with the additional equipment or opt for YouTube TV that has locals where I live for $40/month? And just wait until DTV gets locals then switch?
I dunno on that. It depends on your area as to when/if DTVNow will ever get the locals. If YTTV has them now, then maybe jump on the DTVNow aTV deal, because it's cheaper than buying from the store, and get YTTV service.

I had the HDHR device (which picks up the locals over the air and converts them to a signal over the WiFi/Ethernet network in your house) before DTVNow, and had Plex, so it was a no-brainer for me (that and the grandfathered in $35/month DTVNow top package).

I use the DTVNow for all of the non-local content and switch over to the Channels app for local viewing. Has good WAF (wife approval factor).

When Plex started the DVR functions last year, as a Plex Pass subscriber, I tested it for a while. It was pretty crummy. The last few months though it's been nice and stable and working pretty darned well. I schedule DVR recordings through Plex and it dumps them into the Plex system.

DTVnow + Channels + Plex are pretty much the only apps I use on the aTV in general.

Plex can take a bit to setup but is well worth it once running.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Thank you for the insight. Since my wife is an AT&T customer we would be able to get the $35 plan on DTV for $20 and free HBO for life. That's pretty hard to pass up. I'm thinking of going that way and just hoping they'll get locals eventually. Sadly they AT&T discount doesn't kick in until the third month...they are smart that way.
nwspmp
easttexasaggie04 said:

Oh wow I've never heard of this... haha. This puts a whole new wrinkle in things...do you mind explaining what this is?? Sorry, I'm not quite as tech savvy as some. I apologize in advance.
Not a problem. I alluded a bit to it previously, but here's the scoop

The HDHR device is an OTA capture device. It tunes into the OTA local channels via a conventional antenna and converts the video signal to one for streaming over your WiFi or Ethernet. The one I use doesn't have a compressor built it, so a good WiFi network or (ideally and what I use) Ethernet connection is required.\

This lets other devices such as iPads, phones, TVs, etc view the converted video signal, with the proper software. Unfortunately, my Roku devices can't view these streams, but my AppleTV can, through the Channels app. So, the Channels app finds the HDHR device on the network and then scans for OTA channels, which are available for viewing after that.

Plex is a media management server software. It's an incredibly robust system. Last year they added the ability to stream/convert the signal and to record them as well. So, my Roku devices can view the live TV through Plex, and the Apple TV can do either.

http://www.plex.tv
nwspmp
easttexasaggie04 said:

Thank you for the insight. Since my wife is an AT&T customer we would be able to get the $35 plan on DTV for $20 and free HBO for life. That's pretty hard to pass up. I'm thinking of going that way and just hoping they'll get locals eventually. Sadly they AT&T discount doesn't kick in until the third month...they are smart that way.
You should be able to walk into the ATT store and get the 3/month free aTV deal as well.

Good luck!
easttexasaggie04
AG
Since I already have a Playstation 4 and a Roku in another room I opted to try the PSVue streaming service instead. It's $39.99 for the channels I want and it has CBS (local). This way I don't have purchase any new equipment at all. It sucks I won't be getting HBO and I'm paying double what DTV cost, but I get local weather and don't have to buy equipment. Was this a dumb move?
jaggiemaggie
AG
I Still use my TiVo Roamio DVR to record local channels. Are the cool kids still doing that these days?
nwspmp
easttexasaggie04 said:

Since I already have a Playstation 4 and a Roku in another room I opted to try the PSVue streaming service instead. It's $39.99 for the channels I want and it has CBS (local). This way I don't have purchase any new equipment at all. It sucks I won't be getting HBO and I'm paying double what DTV cost, but I get local weather and don't have to buy equipment. Was this a dumb move?
The good thing about all of these services now is that there's no contract. Testing out the services with the hardware you have is the perfect way to step into the cord cutting/cord shaving arena. Worst case, you're out a month's worth of service cost and you may have missed a promo deal.

If your TV has a digital tuner in it, as most still do, you can switch over to the tuner and pick up the locals without any hardware either. A simple TV antenna would help there.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Well I got DirecTV to match my PSVue monthly price. And DirecTV has all the locals where PSVue just had CBS. Looks like they sucked me back in for another 12 months.
Objective Aggie
AG
I just don't see how Cable and satellite will stay afloat?

Does everyone get hi speed internet that would enable streaming tv? No. But most people can.

I am sure old people and folks in remote areas will cling to their service. But streaming tv will win market share each month.
saltydog13
AG
As someone who is in a rural place and not an old, there's no choice but to have directv/dish for entertainment. The internet data caps and prices for rural folks are pretty pathetic. Plus I can call and ***** out directv once a year and pay $20-30 for their service
easttexasaggie04
AG
What kept me from going with streaming is lack of local channels. Plus DTV matching PSVues price for another 12 months. It's for sure on the way out though.
agdaddy04
AG
I like streaming for not having no contract.
DeBoss
AG
I'm in the city with DTVNow and DTV. DTVNow just doesn't cut it for me yet due to limited DVR capabilities. Also, lots of the shows we watch aren't available for full season on demand, so if I'm not watching weekly, I can miss several episodes.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Thankfully DTV matched PSVue price without entering into a new contract. DTVNow wasn't an option as they had zero locals in my area and honestly I didn't want to mess with an antenna.
nwspmp
DeBoss said:

I'm in the city with DTVNow and DTV. DTVNow just doesn't cut it for me yet due to limited DVR capabilities. Also, lots of the shows we watch aren't available for full season on demand, so if I'm not watching weekly, I can miss several episodes.
I had a lot of the same issues. Between the Plex/OTA DVR and Playon.TV, pretty much all the recordings I've needed have worked, and they just get thrown into my normal Plex system. The only time I typically leave Plex is to watch something live on the non-locals.
goose91
AG
Anyone else's local channels screwed up today? I've got locals out of Kansas City instead of my normal Austin stations.
AgsWin2011
AG
We finally just got locals in College Station. I was about to switch to YouTube TV but now that we get locals just in time for football, I think I'll stick with DTV Now.
Charpie
AG
Damn. I'm not home to check.
Charpie
AG
And I really wish they would add KXAN in Austin
Bregxit
AG
Interesting...I don't recall having all the locals a while back in Houston. Have them all now. Looks like it is time to compare my DTVN channels versus PSVue. May be time to drop PSVue.
trueaggie2782
AG
Houston has had all of the locals for a few months now.
aggiechugger
AG
I ended up going with Directv Now due to the AppleTV offer. I'm streaming it now through my fire stick and it has a great picture. I do have local channels, I have all the Waco stations, all the Dallas stations, and KBTX out of Bryan / College Station. I'm hoping it's even better through the Apple TV in a couple of weeks when I receive it.
Bregxit
AG
Just when I am ready to pull the trigger on dropping PSVue, DTVNow decides not to work for whatever reason. Ugh.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.