DirecTV Now

164,095 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nobody Knows My Name
aggiechugger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This morning my Direct Now wouldn't load any of the channels. I could bring the guide up and select a show but it would never load. I was actually enjoying the idea of streaming and doing away with my Dish but I seem to always have some kind of problem about every 2 to 3 days. I know it's not my internet connection since I am on fiber optic 500 meg service. My Apple TV 4k is brand new and it is fully updated. I will give it another week and if its not better I will probably call Dish and work out the best deal I can since its almost college football season.
Ag12thman
AG
aggiechugger said:

This morning my Direct Now wouldn't load any of the channels. I could bring the guide up and select a show but it would never load. I was actually enjoying the idea of streaming and doing away with my Dish but I seem to always have some kind of problem about every 2 to 3 days. I know it's not my internet connection since I am on fiber optic 500 meg service. My Apple TV 4k is brand new and it is fully updated. I will give it another week and if its not better I will probably call Dish and work out the best deal I can since its almost college football season.
Exactly what I had to do. Too much trouble with DirecTV Now caused me to dump it as College Football Season nears closer. I hit the panic button, basically, because I was headed for missing tons of CFB with the way Now was acting up in various ways. I think a lot of it is going to take DirecTV several more weeks (if not months) to straighten out. My internet connection was not the best, but it should have been enough to stream to one TV. I called Dish Network and they gave me a great locked-in-price 2 year deal. I speak from experience in this -- Do not call standard DirecTV for satellite service. They were horrible to deal with and customer service was basically non-existent. Dish was a little more to go with, but the service and equipment is so much better than DirecTV's.
WoMD
Aside from the DVR being a POS and basically useless I haven't had any of the problems regularly voiced on here. I'm not trying to be snarky here, just curious about the prevalence of these issues since it's been rock solid for me for over a year (since I accepted that my internet network was the actual problem and solidified it). It's confusing why this is an unusable service for a few (or many?) lucky folk...
WoMD
Ag12thman said:

aggiechugger said:

Exactly what I had to do. Too much trouble with DirecTV Now caused me to dump it as College Football Season nears closer. I hit the panic button, basically, because I was headed for missing tons of CFB with the way Now was acting up in various ways. I think a lot of it is going to take DirecTV several more weeks (if not months) to straighten out. My internet connection was not the best, but it should have been enough to stream to one TV. I called Dish Network and they gave me a great locked-in-price 2 year deal. I speak from experience in this -- Do not call standard DirecTV for satellite service. They were horrible to deal with and customer service was basically non-existent. Dish was a little more to go with, but the service and equipment is so much better than DirecTV's.

I don't mean to be rude, but at 6-7mbps your internet speed is most definitely the culprit, unfortunately. Not the DTV Now service, aside from being inefficient. Based on what I've heard and experienced I'd only feel comfortable using a streaming service if my speed was at least 10mbps.

You're absolutely better off with Dish.
Charpie
AG
I have only had issues on my roku and fire sticks. It works great on my Apple TV
Ag12thman
AG
Not taken as rude at all. I'm not an expert at all on this stuff and just figured it was partially my internet speed but also partially issues on the DirecTV Now side since many others have been expressing troubles. I wish it would have worked because I did not want to go back with another long-term contract. I can't be missing Aggie Football plays, so I really had no choice. I need plenty of DVR space and also something that doesn't freeze or buffer, which obviously would cause me to miss football plays.

Please do correct me if I am wrong on something like this. I would like to maybe go back to streaming TV if it is to improve in the future or if I am able to get a better internet speed in the future - whichever happens first.
JSKolache
AG
aggiechugger said:

NEVER watch games on DTVNow app - use the WatchESPN app instead. It's much more stable.
aggiechugger
AG
When I got home from work Directv Now was working like a champ. I wonder what it was that locked it up this morning.
flakrat
AG
JSKolache said:

NEVER watch games on DTVNow app - use the WatchESPN app instead. It's much more stable.

This in addition many of the other shows, use the channels native app when possible.
boy09
AG
boy09 said:

Raptor said:

NFL Network just added.

Has anyone seen/heard anything about the Redzone Channel?
Just got the NFL Sunday Ticket email. I forgot you had to get the whole package to get the Redzone Channel on DirecTV. On Dish you could add just the RZ channel for like $7/mo. Oh well, guess i'm not doing that. Another year of reddit streams.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Are you able to do the service address change to get different locals like you used to be able to do with the satellite service? Just wondering if there might be a way around the local blackouts.
Charpie
AG
My locals are dependent on the IP address. For instance, when I stream here at work, I get Seattle locals one day. The next day I'll get Chicago..the next, Dallas.
GrapevineAg
AG
I had the same problems with DTV Now on a Roku - lots of instability. I did notice a pattern though... it was much better during the day or late at night, but during prime time it would crap out. That led me to believe that they have server capacity problems on their end. I could log out of DTV Now and login to Sling (or Hulu, or YouTube TV, or Watch ESPN etc.) and not have any problems, so I know the problem wasn't with my connection. It's either a problem on their end, or a problem with their app on Roku. I have tried them about 3 different times over the past year, and the problem persists.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I was thinking the same thing last night. Turned on the preseason game and had periodic issues with it displaying a message that there was a problem with my network. I've got 150mbps down. It ain't me.
texag06ish
AG
I am strongly considering making the switch to YTTV. I think I am going to give the 7 day trial a run during week 1 of CFB. Mainly because I'm looking for a more traditional DVR experience.
WoMD
GrapevineAg said:

I had the same problems with DTV Now on a Roku - lots of instability. I did notice a pattern though... it was much better during the day or late at night, but during prime time it would crap out. That led me to believe that they have server capacity problems on their end. I could log out of DTV Now and login to Sling (or Hulu, or YouTube TV, or Watch ESPN etc.) and not have any problems, so I know the problem wasn't with my connection. It's either a problem on their end, or a problem with their app on Roku. I have tried them about 3 different times over the past year, and the problem persists.

Did you check how it was working on another device during those times?

Also, maybe try a speed test during those times. I had the same situation during those times and it did turn out to be my network slowing down. It seems that DTV Now doesn't handle those situations as well as other services.
WoMD
Lucky #007 said:

I was thinking the same thing last night. Turned on the preseason game and had periodic issues with it displaying a message that there was a problem with my network. I've got 150mbps down. It ain't me.

Was this speed verified during those times?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
No, but I stream exclusively and I almost never encounter these issues across any other platform the way I have with DirecTV Now.
Charpie
AG
That happens to me on my roku..but not as bad as it was on the Fire Stick.

Got my free month after complaining. If it happens again, I'll ask for another free month
GrapevineAg
AG
WoMD said:

GrapevineAg said:

Also, maybe try a speed test during those times. I had the same situation during those times and it did turn out to be my network slowing down. It seems that DTV Now doesn't handle those situations as well as other services.
Nope, I only have Roku devices. I suppose I could have checked on my laptop or phone (if they have apps for those). I am certain it wasn't my network. Everything else in my house on the network, and other apps on the same Rokus, were all functioning normally. My son's online gaming wasn't affected. DirecTV Now has a problem on Roku and/or a problem with load during peak viewing times.
WoMD
Lucky #007 said:

No, but I stream exclusively and I almost never encounter these issues across any other platform the way I have with DirecTV Now.

As mentioned above, I suspect that DTV Now applications do not handle slowdowns in the network as well as other services/apps. This is taken from direct experience when my network would go from 150+ mbps most of the day to less than 5mbps after about 7pm every night. DTV Now would have drop offs in my Apple TV and Firestick, but all other services seemed to handle it ok. I never would've known how ****ty things were on my network without DTV Now crapping out like it was. Once I added a 5Ghz network to my system everything has been fine. This may be worth exploring further, if only to make sure that you are getting what you are paying for on the internet side of things. Regardless, if speeds are truly ok then this sounds like an issue that warrants a change of tv service.
WoMD
GrapevineAg said:

WoMD said:

GrapevineAg said:

Nope, I only have Roku devices. I suppose I could have checked on my laptop or phone (if they have apps for those). I am certain it wasn't my network. Everything else in my house on the network, and other apps on the same Rokus, were all functioning normally. My son's online gaming wasn't affected. DirecTV Now has a problem on Roku and/or a problem with load during peak viewing times.

You can probably watch on your laptop and phone. But first I would run a speed test throughout the day to get an idea of if your network is playing a role, and if that can be addressed. See post above.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'll try running a speed test. The AppleTV is already on a 5Ghz Network though.
boy09
AG
5 GHz band isn't always necessarily your best option..
Quincey P. Morris
AG
It's got good signal where it's at. I use the 2.4 for the smaller devices as the 5 does have some slow spots in farther parts of the house.
boy09
AG
Just making sure. 5GHz is faster, but it doesn't transmit as far as 2.4. If you got a strong signal that's not the problem.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Yeah, I learned real quick about it's range limitations when I switched to a dual band router. There's some corners of the house where it's worse than cell phone internet circa 2003.
GrapevineAg
AG
WoMD said:

You can probably watch on your laptop and phone. But first I would run a speed test throughout the day to get an idea of if your network is playing a role, and if that can be addressed. See post above.
Speed tests on my network are fine - getting 145Mbps down. You said that once you added a 5GHz band to your network then everything was fine. Well, I had problems with DTV Now on 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Again, the only app that had problems in my setup was DTV Now. Even if (huge if) there were problems with my network, and all other apps handled it well, why would I stick with DirecTV Now? The app's stability/reliability sucked in comparison to the other streaming providers I use.
WoMD
GrapevineAg said:

WoMD said:

Speed tests on my network are fine - getting 145Mbps down. You said that once you added a 5GHz band to your network then everything was fine. Well, I had problems with DTV Now on 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Again, the only app that had problems in my setup was DTV Now. Even if (huge if) there were problems with my network, and all other apps handled it well, why would I stick with DirecTV Now? The app's stability/reliability sucked in comparison to the other streaming providers I use.

This speed was during the prime time trouble issues?

I agree. Might not be worth keeping the service, just trying to brainstorm possible causes/solutions.
GrapevineAg
AG
Well, I can pay $75/mo for an unstable and unreliable service, or I can pay a lot less for a much better product. Definitely not worth it.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone to give it up, I'm just sharing my experience so that others have more info on which to base their decisions. For me, it was very problematic, and the problems were not within my walls. It's the most expensive of the major streaming TV options, and it has the poorest quality on my Roku (Premiere+ btw). It's a shame too, because I liked their channel lineup, and parts of their interface, the best.
adamsbq06
AG
Or I can hold them accountable for unreliable service and get a credit on my account every time their service fails to meet my expectations.
jaggiemaggie
AG
Had to DVR the game tonight.... kept reseting to beginning... total POS
Bregxit
AG
jaggiemaggie said:

Mine worked fine. Which is something I rarely say about it. I always have the apps on standby.
Dro07
AG
no problem for me but I'm always on the espn app
nwspmp
dlance said:

jaggiemaggie said:

Mine worked fine. Which is something I rarely say about it. I always have the apps on standby.
Mine too. I watched it partly via ESPN app (living room aTV connected via Ethernet), but when kiddo needed to be put down to sleep, I was in there with my phone (via WiFi) and DTVNow app. Worked perfectly.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.