DirecTV Now

164,053 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nobody Knows My Name
saltydog13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Would y'all recommend DTVN for someone who currently has directv? My only reservation is that we have satellite internet. It's really enticing to have directv now for only ~$25 a month though vs $80-90
dave99ag
AG
It's a steaming only service. How good is Netflix streaming over your satellite service? You could always try it out for a month. There's no commitment like DTV.
saltydog13
AG
Flawless while we only had Netflix last year. Just signed up for the free 7 day trial to see how we like it. Have att unlimited so the lowest package is only $10 a month
AggieFrog
AG
I'm actually surprised satellite internet has the speed and low latency for streaming. Any issue with a data cap? We're averaging 500GB-1TB a month.
saltydog13
AG
I think the cap is 250gb. From my understanding I can use att wireless to stream and not use any data. So I can mirror if we get an Apple TV. We don't watch that much tv anyways
Pman17
AG
CBS On Demand Added for those without CBS Live
saltydog13
AG
I'm not that tech savvy, but is there any difference between satellite internet and fixed wireless? We supposedly have fixed wireless. Just tested the speeds today and it's 15mb down and 5mb upload speeds
tamusc
AG
saltydog09 said:

I'm not that tech savvy, but is there any difference between satellite internet and fixed wireless? We supposedly have fixed wireless. Just tested the speeds today and it's 15mb down and 5mb upload speeds
Fixed wireless is a much better option than satellite and generally isn't a bad option at that if you can't get cable or another true high speed option. Satellite internet is the absolute last resort for just about any use case.
saltydog13
AG
Okay then yeah we have wireless. In BCS area, but Rise broadband is our only decent option. Picked up a Fire Stick for the 7 day trial
Forum Troll
AG
Fantastic stuck job here on fox for game 5, I've seen the last 15 seconds of this altuve at bat about 10 times now. It's stuck.
Forum Troll
AG
Omg that mofo hit a home run. **** you directv now
TexAgBolter
AG
Yep. Same exact thing happened to me. Bailed over to fox sports go app
saltydog13
AG
Used fox sports go app and it worked flawlessly
saltydog13
AG
Just cancelled our Directv today and never looking back! Just need to get an Apple TV and an antennae for the local stations and we'll be good to go. Can't wait to get rid of the satellite off the house
saltydog13
AG
Is the Apple TV my only option for screen mirroring with my iPhone or does another device work with iOS?
texag06ish
AG
saltydog09 said:

Is the Apple TV my only option for screen mirroring with my iPhone or does another device work with iOS?

I use native app on AppleTV. It's a decent interface and you can still use your phone to web browse.
saltydog13
AG
texag06ish said:

saltydog09 said:

I use native app on AppleTV. It's a decent interface and you can still use your phone to web browse.

Trying to decide if I want to pay up for the Apple TV or just go get another firestick/4K roku
texag06ish
AG
saltydog09 said:

texag06ish said:

saltydog09 said:

Trying to decide if I want to pay up for the Apple TV or just go get another firestick/4K roku

I'd say it's worth it. Especially on your main TV.
WoMD
saltydog09 said:

texag06ish said:

saltydog09 said:

The Apple TV is infinitely better with directv now than the firestick. I'm not sure if the blame is with the app or the firestick itself, but it is pretty awful.
saltydog13
AG
I don't have a 4K tv in the house currently, so should I just get the 4th gen Apple TV or get the 4K ATV I case I get one down the line?
aTm2004
AG
Do you have to be tied to Apple? I just can't see how you can justify paying for for Apple TV vs Fire TV.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
saltydog13
AG
Only reason I'm looking at Apple TV is airplay through my iPhone and having the option of streaming using my ATT service. I'm open to suggestions though if there's other devices I can do that with.
aTm2004
AG
You could buy a lightning/HDMI adapter and accomplish the same thing.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
BCG Disciple
AG
There are also airplay apps for the fire tv. AirReceiver is one app, but there are more. I have used it from a fire stick and it is very lagy and may be better through a fire tv.

I use and have used both. I use fire stick for VPN + kodi access. I prefer the layout of the Apple TV for navigation and am extremely annoyed by the amazon centered presentation on the fire tv. It may be customizable, but I much prefer Apple home screen navigation than the categorized groups. Too many ads and I have to work to decipher whether the content is something I have feee with prime or it's something I have to pay for. Apple is much cleaner and does not constantly bombard me with marketing/pay content.
saltydog13
AG
So just buy the adapter and don't by a streaming device?
aTm2004
AG
If your plan is to stream from your phone 100% of the time, then yes. If it's only going to be some time while wanting to stream via something else, then look at a streaming device. To me, paying double for Apple TV when Fire TV or Roku are just as good isn't something I can do. To the above poster about Fire TV's layout...for me, I have my apps laid out in my favorites and rarely go searching for shows. When I do, I don't feel it's any different than Hulu or Netflix, especially when I can voice search for what I'm looking for.

I'll say that this is coming from an Apple guy (iPhone, iPad, Macbook, and Mac).
ArticPenguin:

saltydog13
AG
Yeah it won't be full time streaming through my phone.
saltydog13
AG
flakrat
AG
College football is almost over and DTVNow still hasn't released their DVR nor support pause / rewind / resume of live streams.

Bleh.... Of course I'me locked in right now to keep the low price and free HBO, but I really expected them to release some of these features in time for / during football.
trueaggie2782
AG
flakrat said:

College football is almost over and DTVNow still hasn't released their DVR nor support pause / rewind / resume of live streams.

Bleh.... Of course I'me locked in right now to keep the low price and free HBO, but I really expected them to release some of these features in time for / during football.

You're right. It sucks that they aren't done yet but I've been beta testing and I think they're almost ready for public release.
Pman17
AG
Saw an article, says early next year we'll get 2.0.
Beta testers think it's not ready yet.
https://reddit.com/r/DirecTVNow/comments/7b6956/att_promises_new_version_of_directv_now_early/
trueaggie2782
AG
Could be true. I'm just saying that from a personal perspective, I haven't seen the issues on the platforms that I've been testing. I'm actually surprised how cleanly the app has been flowing.
Bregxit
AG
trueaggie2782 said:

Could be true. I'm just saying that from a personal perspective, I haven't seen the issues on the platforms that I've been testing. I'm actually surprised how cleanly the app has been flowing.

Lucky you! Beta tester here as well. I have been going back and forth with them for over a month because I have not once been able to select a program to record. It always says "Oop, something went wrong. Try again." And for some reason local networks won't work on my beta versions.

Color me unimpressed based on my testing experience.
flakrat
AG
I have to use a Tivo OTA for locals. I suspect NE Tennessee locals will arrive on DTVnow in about half a century
trueaggie2782
AG
Which platform are you testing? I was able to successfully record without errors on both chrome and iOS platforms.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.