DirecTV Now

164,069 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nobody Knows My Name
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't get it.. this looks like standard old cable package pricing? What is new? Did they get rid of equipment charges??

hph6203
AG
The absolute cheapest advertised price for a DirecTV package without the introductory price is $88/mo. There's no contract with these services either, so if you're primarily a football fan and don't watch much cable the rest of the year you can do the $35/mo service for the 4 months of college football and then for 8 months you save ~$900.

And no, there aren't any equipment charges. It's a BYOB (Bring your own box) service.
62strat
AG
Oh, I didn't know directv was that expensive and you have to have your own equipment. I've paid $49 for my dish package for years, and it's not even the cheapest one.

But, add in dvr fee, and a few extra boxes, and cable comes to $85. (was only $70, when it went up I called and they offered $15 off for 12 months)

So that advertised DTV price is the bottom line?
dave99ag
AG
I have unlimited data with Suddenlink and tv with DirecTV. We watch the ESPN family live for sports and a handful of shows (Shark Tank, etc) when we get the chance.

I think I'll jump on board to lock in at that $35 price and hope the DVR comes sometime soon since we don't watch much live TV. This will sure as hell be cheaper than the $110 I pay now for DirecTV even if they charge for DVR.

How are Apple TVs? I'm Android, but my wife is full Apple and I do have a Macbook Pro.
benMath08
AG
Internet TV also doesn't have a lot of taxes and fees that get tacked onto cable bills. Not sure how long that will last though...
drewser95
AG
62strat said:

So that advertised DTV price is the bottom line?

Yes, other than sales tax (SlingTV charges it so I assume DirecTV Now does as well).
boy09
AG
I've been contemplating PS Vue for a while now. This is very interesting though. It appears to have everything I'm looking for. I love Dish, but it may finally be time to say bye bye to my $155/mo bill.
62strat
AG
boy09 said:

I've been contemplating PS Vue for a while now. This is very interesting though. It appears to have everything I'm looking for. I love Dish, but it may finally be time to say bye bye to my $155/mo bill.
I hear people say this all the time.. do you really pay $155 just for cable? I pay $130 for cable and internet, which is half of it ($70 for each with $10 bundle discount.

I can't imagine how you could actually pay $150+ for tv only.
gougler08
AG
62strat said:

boy09 said:

I hear people say this all the time.. do you really pay $155 just for cable? I pay $130 for cable and internet, which is half of it ($70 for each with $10 bundle discount.

My Uverse bill is over $200 for TV and internet and I've had no luck getting them down to promotional rates lately. I'm about to move to a new house and will be cutting the cord when I do
WoMD
Are these channels are HD?
Artorias
AG
If I want to stream to a 2nd TV, I assume I will need a 2nd Apple TV connected to the 2nd TV?
gougler08
AG
mugwurt said:

If I want to stream to a 2nd TV, I assume I will need a 2nd Apple TV connected to the 2nd TV?
One box per TV is how I understand it (it's on Amazon Fire as well)
WoMD
mugwurt said:

It looks like an amazon device can also work.
Aggiejue
AG
TexasAggie008 said:

Don't see NFL Network or FoxSportsSW (RSN's)...any word on if they'll be included?

Image shows FSNSW under regional coverage. I don't have it yet so I cannot confirm.

62strat
AG
gougler08 said:

62strat said:

boy09 said:

My Uverse bill is over $200 for TV and internet and I've had no luck getting them down to promotional rates lately. I'm about to move to a new house and will be cutting the cord when I do
Well damn.. I stand corrected. I would never pay over $200 for what I have now. That's crazy. Hell when my bill increased from $135 to $150 and I called to lower it, because $150 was too much. They responded quickly. I think at this point they know it's too easy to lose customers, so knocking off 10% is a no brainer for them.
gougler08
AG
62strat said:

gougler08 said:

62strat said:

boy09 said:

Well damn.. I stand corrected. I would never pay over $200 for what I have now. That's crazy. Hell when my bill increased from $135 to $150 and I called to lower it, because $150 was too much. They responded quickly. I think at this point they know it's too easy to lose customers, so knocking off 10% is a no brainer for them.
Uverse hasn't been responsive lately as they are trying to get people to convert to Directv (which I don't want). My wife and I have been watching less TV lately anyways so it's looking like cutting the cord makes the most sense.

I was able to keep the bill around the $150 mark for a while, but it's crept up over the past year and I haven't had any success getting it back down. Time to bail
Artorias
AG
Gonna give it a shot, and grab the 3-month plan with the free Apple TV. We'll see how it compares to PS Vue. Worst case, if after 3 months we aren't liking it as much, I cancel and go back to PS Vue, and have an Apple TV to play with.
hph6203
AG
dave99ag said:

I have unlimited data with Suddenlink and tv with DirecTV. We watch the ESPN family live for sports and a handful of shows (Shark Tank, etc) when we get the chance.

I think I'll jump on board to lock in at that $35 price and hope the DVR comes sometime soon since we don't watch much live TV. This will sure as hell be cheaper than the $110 I pay now for DirecTV even if they charge for DVR.

How are Apple TVs? I'm Android, but my wife is full Apple and I do have a Macbook Pro.

Of all the interfaces the new version of the Apple TV is my favorite and the voice search is superior to the Fire TV (don't have a voice capable Roku, I do have a Chromecast TV, Fire TV Stick, Roku Stick and Roku 3).
dave99ag
AG
Now that football is pretty much over, I can live without CBS. Hopefully they figure something out by the time March Madness rolls around.
easttexasaggie04
AG
So if you don't live in one of the big markets you don't get any local channels? I don't wanna mess with an antenna.

Also, can you stream on two different TV's at once?
RangerRick9211
AG
Aggiejue said:

TexasAggie008 said:

Don't see NFL Network or FoxSportsSW (RSN's)...any word on if they'll be included?

Image shows FSNSW under regional coverage. I don't have it yet so I cannot confirm.

**Available in select markets where available.

I'm a Houston data point. Not offered.
Cloud
On board for the Apple TV offer.
Artorias
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

Aggiejue said:

TexasAggie008 said:

**Available in select markets where available.

I'm a Houston data point. Not offered.

No FSSW in Austin it seems. Do get FS1 and FS2.
bigboykin
AG
Just signed up for the 3 months w/ ATV. We'll see how it goes. I'd been a DTV customer for years and they didn't even put up a fight when I told them I was cancelling to move to this. I found that a bit odd, at the very least they should've said "well...you won't be getting your local channels, and you won't be getting Hallmark (or whatever)..." They didn't feed me any lines at all to even attempt to keep me paying more and paying equipment fees and all.

I've been trying to cord-cut for years, but my wife was the holdout. She's at home with the little ones for now, and she likes to have disgruntled housewives and/or little people on in the background pretty much constantly. This has streaming Bravo, so she should be good. My bill was only about $90 with HBO, but this gets me to $40.

I don't live in a major city, so I'm a little bummed about locals. As of now, it looks like I don't have any networks available to stream, and my nearest broadcast comes from 50+ miles away and I'm not constructing a 50' antenna tower, so I may be SOL there for a while.

Also, to whoever asked above, you can only stream 2 devices at once according to the CSR I talked to.
coastalAg
AG
So far I think the interface is faster and the stream quality is better than PS Vue.

Beyond that the lack of DVR and On Demand lineup are kind of a bummer. A lot of the network specific apps don't have a DirectvNow authentication option yet either. I'm sure it will come with time. My wife needs a way to watch Bravo or this will be a no go.

I am also not seeing an easy way to see the last few channels I have watched. A little more difficult to switch between two or three channels than on Vue.
bigboykin
AG
Any of y'all experiencing as many bugs as I am? It's been terrible so far, getting logged out randomly, not being able to log back in due to errors, log-in not recognizing my plan and thus having the subscribe icon over almost all channels. I'm going to give them a little time to work the kinks out, but if this persists I'm going to ask for a refund.

That said, when it's working I like the interface on Fire TV, and nav is smooth, lag/buffering is fairly minimal/comparable to other streaming apps I've used, and picture quality is good.
AggieFrog
AG
I had a few hiccups last night but haven't tried today. Some bugginess is to be expected early on.

I don't see FS Southwest yet either here in Fort Worth. Will need that to make this viable for me (for Rangers games next year).
JBAggie00
I've only been able to watch on my iPhone so far.

Last night I kept getting an error that I had already used my two streams. Later in the evening and this morning, it was streaming perfectly over LTE.
CRM1712
AG
Where is the link for the Apple TV offer? Do you have to call?
BEaggie08
AG
bigboykin said:

Any of y'all experiencing as many bugs as I am? It's been terrible so far, getting logged out randomly, not being able to log back in due to errors, log-in not recognizing my plan and thus having the subscribe icon over almost all channels. I'm going to give them a little time to work the kinks out, but if this persists I'm going to ask for a refund.

That said, when it's working I like the interface on Fire TV, and nav is smooth, lag/buffering is fairly minimal/comparable to other streaming apps I've used, and picture quality is good.
I've only used it on my phone so far. No problems yet. My wife was the holdout as well...for those summer months and holiday breaks. This gets me Disney, Nickelodeon, HGTV, and Food Network to pacify her. I'll be saving $100/mo by canceling DISH, so I'm stoked.

As far as locals, eligibility is determined primarily by your billing zip code. I wonder if you couldn't figure out a way to use a metro area zip of friend or family member and set up payment with a visa gift card or something.

Another thought, if you're running a Plex Server, you can add the network channels and gain access to recent primetime network television shows. I use Plex channels when my DVR doesn't catch a show because sporting events push the time slot.

I'll try it out on the FireTV tonight and report back.

I'll stick with it for 3 months, regardless, just to get the free Apple TV. I had planned on waiting for the next version in 2017, but figured this was a no brainer.

I really hope they add some cloud DVR functionality and CBS in the near future and open it up to some NFL packages as well.

How's the fam?
BEaggie08
AG
CRM1712 said:

No, it's a couple of steps into the sign up process. It defaults to that deal, I believe.
Artorias
AG
BEaggie08 said:

CRM1712 said:

No, it's a couple of steps into the sign up process. It defaults to that deal, I believe.
Yeah it is part of the sign up process if you pick the plan that is discounted to $35 from the normal $60. It does say it will take a couple weeks to receive the AppleTV. Hopefully it arrives quicker than that.
CRM1712
AG
Anyone called directv to figure out if they'll let you out of contract to join?
Aggiejue
AG
CRM1712 said:

I inquired yesterday and it's a no go. I have 4 months on my contract so it will be $80. Planning to pull the trigger this weekend on the prepaid option for $35. We currently have 2 atv4, so I will use the 3rd as a floater until the max streams are increased.
suprafly03
AG
CRM1712 said:

I called today. My "commitment" isn't up until 12/24/17 (a full year). It'll cost me the rest of this month AND a $200 early termination penalty.

I pay $154 per month as is. So I'm dropping it.

It'll still save me nearly $1500 over then next year AND I get a free appleTV.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.