DirecTV Now

164,020 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nobody Knows My Name
nwspmp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TXAGBQ76 said:

The old saying "be careful what you ask for, because you might get it" may be coming true. Many people (myself included) have been moaning about having to pay for crap they never watch. Now, with many of the major providers like Disney/Hulu, ATT, Viacom, Apple, Sony etc. pulling all of their content back in house their streaming services, it could get very interesting. You might need to have multiple streaming services at ever increasing prices to get everything you actually do watch. Like cable and satellite, they all gave great introductory prices and then began to creep them up.

Also, there is a lot of talk in the industry about new players getting into the sports business. Companies like YouTube, Apple, Amazon, etc. have all said they are looking at bidding on some of the conferences packages, as well as the major pro sports. IF that happens, now you will have to subscribe to multiple streaming services to get all of the sports you like.

My belief is that at the end of the day, at some point your ala carte package of the things you like could reach cable/ sat tv pricing. They know many, many people are already willing to pay those prices, so why will they leave money on the table long term.
My old bill with DirecTV when you factored in the taxes, surcharges, fees, extra receivers, etc was around $220 a month (HD, DVR, 2x TV, Choice package I think)

I had Internet as well, paying that regardless. That's $76/month. So, I was around $296/month.

My Internet is the same, $76/month.
I pay (now) $53/month for DirecTV Now (grandfathered plan with HBO)
I pay $12.95 for Hulu (limited commercials)
I don't pay for Netflix, but have it free of charge through T-Mobile
I don't pay for MLB all access, also free of charge through T-Mobile
I pay $6.48/month for the CBS streaming account.
I pay $119/year for Amazon Prime

So, I pay around $82.50 per month for service equivalent to what I had with DirecTV.

So, I've got another $137.50 or so until I hit the same price barrier.

Now, I did do upfront work do get a few things.

1) I have a Plex system onto which I've ripped all of my DVDs, BluRays and CDs and such. Had that before, so I don't count that, but if you did a good off the shelf QNAP or Synology will run about $500-800.

I added a Plex Pass (on sale, lifetime pass for $89) and an HDHomeRun Dual (was $85; new version is $70) and an interior antenna for OTA ($15).

Now, my Plex system can record and cut the commercials directly out of OTA recordings, which get stored on my NAS which is running my Plex system. They're fully integrated and work just as any other media on Plex. Seasons and shows can be setup to record new only, new and reruns, limited to certain channels, etc.

2) I bought a software called PlayOn TV which allowed me to record live streams and OnDemand shows and movies from Netflix, Hulu, DirecTV Now, Amazon Prime, Vudu, CBS, Fox, etc. Basically, it uses a desktop computer, streams the show just as if you were sitting there, but records the video and audio. Saves it into a standard format and filename, which I have dumped into Plex as well. It has the ability to record shows and seasons, similar to how a conventional DVR works. This and the PlexPass+Live TV/DVR above made up for the horrible joke that is DirecTV Now's DVR. This software was also $69 during a sale and is a lifetime updated software)

So, around another $260 in upgrades to my existing Plex system allowed it to do a LOT more.

In addition, if I see a show or movie I like on the various streaming services, I record it and don't have to worry about it leaving the service again. That's been wonderful for a few shows I liked, but never really caught on, and aren't available on streaming, purchase or anything that I can find anywhere anymore.

One thing I do like about the streaming service availability is even if you did have ALL of the services, you don't have any contracts, so when you've seen what you want out of a service, cancel it with no further costs and do something else. Binge the site-specific show, then cancel. HBO's about to feel that one...

Edit: Hardware for the TVs. I have two main TVs that I care about. Same as with DTV. When I signed up with DTVN I did the "three months of service up front and we send you an AppleTV", so that $105 then was less than the price of the AppleTV normally, and we had the service paid for. I had a Roku on the second TV at the time (Roku 3, and then a beta test device from Roku). When they did the same thing for the AppleTV 4K, we did that under a second account and closed out the account immediately. So, for three months we "double payed" DirecTV Now, but in reality we bought an AppleTV 4K for about $105.
TMoney2007
AG
Or you can just watch the things that are on the streaming services you have like I do with music. I've heard artists say "Spotify is ripping us off, so I'm not going to put my music on it"... the result is I don't listen to their music because that app is where I go to consume music.

One huge thing we gained is none of these things are contract based anymore. Want to see game of thrones? Add HBO go for a couple months. Want to stream the new season of a Netflix show? Pick that up for a month and drop it.

I have a plex server myself, so I'm certainly not above pirating content (partly out of protest), but even if you are less technically inclined or less morally corrupt than we are, you have better options than you did before.
nwspmp
TMoney2007 said:

Or you can just watch the things that are on the streaming services you have like I do with music. I've heard artists say "Spotify is ripping us off, so I'm not going to put my music on it"... the result is I don't listen to their music because that app is where I go to consume music.

One huge thing we gained is none of these things are contract based anymore. Want to see game of thrones? Add HBO go for a couple months. Want to stream the new season of a Netflix show? Pick that up for a month and drop it.

I have a plex server myself, so I'm certainly not above pirating content (partly out of protest), but even if you are less technically inclined or less morally corrupt than we are, you have better options than you did before.
Completely agreed. In fact, that's actually what we do. Most of our streaming is from Amazon Prime, but there are two shows we watch on CBS and a few on Hulu that aren't available externally. To be perfectly honest, the service that provides the least value for us right now is DirecTV Now. I'm hesitant to get rid of it, only because I do have the grandfathered in discount, which I'd lose, but any more price increases and I'll probably drop it. Most of my Plex content came from ripped DVDs and BluRays (both my owned copies and RedBox/Netflix OG rentals) and now from the stream rips from PlayOn

A toddler helps limit our viewing time naturally anyway. Our viewing these days is typically an episode of a show while we're eating dinner and that's about it. I'll watch a few woodworking and CNC YouTube videos when kiddo is headed to bed, but that's really our only viewing these days. The kid's viewing is a bit of Sesame Street or the like when having breakfast or lunch, but other than that, they're not viewing screens of any form, and we're hoping to forestall that as habit as long as possible.
Diggity
AG
This reminds me of when I used to rip all my DVD's, find the perfect album art, verify the metadata, and host them on my home server with a beautiful front end.

Problem was, I think I spent about 95% of my time backing up and 5% watching.

It was a fun nerd project but not exactly useful (for me)
nwspmp
Diggity said:

This reminds me of when I used to rip all my DVD's, find the perfect album art, verify the metadata, and host them on my home server with a beautiful front end.

Problem was, I think I spent about 95% of my time backing up and 5% watching.

It was a fun nerd project but not exactly useful (for me)
I remember those times too. I did the same on the MP3s and had a whole toolchain just to get the naming conventions right...

My Plex system is almost fully automated now. Files from the PlayOn are dumped in automatically, Plex handles the metadata and art automatically, it's all super easy to maintain now. The extent of my involvement is if I want to manually add a show or movie and it's copying it into the folder.

My worst case is when I do an upgrade on my NAS and the new system software bonks the Plex running on it. Usually a reinstall from the web portal and it's back up and working.
Diggity
AG
I get that. Just curious as to how often I would watch what I record.

I tend to be a media hoarder.
Gordon McKernan
I haven't read the entire thread but just realized i am now being charged $50 for DTVNow. I subscribed when it was first launched and grandfathered into the GO Big package for $40 a month. I just checked out YouTube TV and it is $50 as well... Is YouTubeTV that much better to switch?

Biggest benefit i can see is the 6 users as i could just split this with my brother in law in Austin and let my in-laws use it as well. We would never have more than 2 streams going at once in our household.

Nobody Knows My Name
AG
For whatever reason, the $10 price increase has not hit my account yet. I'm on the "grand-fathered" Go Big plan that was originally $35. As of this month, they are still billing me just over $40.

When the new $10 price increase was announced, I did login to their chat to voice my displeasure, but they didn't "offer" my anything. What's also weird is that when I login to my DirecTVNOW account, it says my rate is $50/mo. I'm sure the extra $10 will catch up with me at some point.
boy09
AG
I cancelled and they were very quick to offer me 6 more months of my grandfathered plan at the same $40/month
Pman17
AG
Gordon McKernan said:

I haven't read the entire thread but just realized i am now being charged $50 for DTVNow. I subscribed when it was first launched and grandfathered into the GO Big package for $40 a month. I just checked out YouTube TV and it is $50 as well... Is YouTubeTV that much better to switch?

Biggest benefit i can see is the 6 users as i could just split this with my brother in law in Austin and let my in-laws use it as well. We would never have more than 2 streams going at once in our household.

You lose Viacom channels, HBO, and some other channels, so if you're willing to ditch those and you're not an AT&T customer then YouTube TV is worth it when you can get Unlimited DVR and it's reliable.
Pman17
AG
I started getting charged $50 with the early adopter GoBig. Still in it because I get the most channels for the money out of all the cord cutting services. But I am getting sick of these random service wide blackouts. DirecTV Now Servers went down seconds before the Warriors and Raptors game ended and pissed everyone off.
bbattbq01
AG
Just noticed the price increase to $50. Only thing I really care about is access to espn app (which seems to have stopped from trying to watch Aggie baseball last weekend) and fox sports app. Do they have stand alone options yet for rsns and espn
Pman17
AG
ESPN+
Pman17
AG
Getting the DTVN Streaming Box Beta sent to me.
TxAggieBand85
AG
bbattbq01 said:

Only thing I really care about is access to espn app (which seems to have stopped from trying to watch Aggie baseball last weekend) and fox sports app. Do they have stand alone options yet for rsns and espn
ESPN is a bit complicated with respect to DTVN.

The NCAA Baseball tournament selected games shown on ESPN channels with the balance on ESPN3. It is ESPN3 that is the issue. DTVN dropped ESPN3, however ESPN3 is available from some of the broadband providers as a benefit to their service.

Example: I have Xfinity broadband service. ESPN3 works with Xfinity, but not with DTVN. If my ESPN App is logged into DTVN, cannot watch ESPN3 with that app. Log out of DTVN and ESPN3 works.

I have two streaming devices with ESPN3 on each. It is a matter of selecting the correct device to watch.

Nice and complicated and PITA to consume content. This is also the ecosystem I play in to control price for delivery of legal entertainment. DTVN grandfathered plan with HBO is hard to beat at under $60 / month.

saltydog13
AG
It might've been said already, but aside from the $50 and $70 packages, all the other ones are just the directv packages offered as a streaming package without all the hardware. Do they still offer the $25 unlimited discount?
TMoney2007
AG
So this is fun,...

Merged ATT-WarnerMedia will eventually kill off DirecTV Now. Seems like they would kill off ATT's DirecTV streaming only live tv service at some point.
dave99ag
AG
Looks like I'll be switching to YouTube TV at some point. Only wish they had History Channel.
saltydog13
AG
Philo Tv has history and very little overlap with YouTube tv
Thisguy1
Does YouTube TV have ABC in BCS? When I put in my zip it goes away?
AgsWin2011
AG
Thisguy1 said:

Does YouTube TV have ABC in BCS? When I put in my zip it goes away?

I get all the locals in BCS
Thisguy1
And that includes ABC? It's weird that their site says we don't get it. I've gotta make sure I have all my channels for football season.
Pman17
AG
DirecTV Now has been rebranded to AT&T TV Now.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Finally pulled the trigger and cancelled DTVN after 2.5 years.
bigboykin
AG
Likewise. I bit my tongue and took it when they raised the price $5 after having promised to let us keep the intro rate as long as we had the service. But when they went up another $15, and basically told me to eat **** when I called about getting a better rate, that was the last straw.

Now I've gotta find another way to get football. Maybe the $13 Disney+/ESPN+/Hulu package is worth a shot.
dave99ag
AG
The Disney deal doesn't include the standard ESPN channels (ESPN, ESPN 2, SEC, etc). It only is for ESPN+ which mostly will have smaller conference games, MMA, etc. I've been contemplating dropping DirecTV Now for YouTube TV or Hulu, but the price isn't much different, so I'll stay a bit longer.
Thisguy1
How many accounts can you have with DTV? YouTube allows 6 different accounts so that $55 or whatever it is can get down pretty low a month. I've got my family about to join with me.
dave99ag
AG
I think just one account and maybe two simultaneous streams, so that's a bonus for YouTube TV.
bigboykin
AG
dave99ag said:

The Disney deal doesn't include the standard ESPN channels (ESPN, ESPN 2, SEC, etc). It only is for ESPN+ which mostly will have smaller conference games, MMA, etc. I've been contemplating dropping DirecTV Now for YouTube TV or Hulu, but the price isn't much different, so I'll stay a bit longer.
Well, that's stupid. WhoTF wants that? Guess I'll probably do the free month of YoutubeTV first and then check out Hulu Live and Fubo 7 day trials, then maybe Sling.
hbc07
AG
I'm still at $35/mo for the live a little package. I'm still on board at that price point, but if it goes up much more I'll probably bail.
joerobert_pete06
AG
Does directvnow offer SEC network?
agracer
AG
joerobert_pete06 said:

Does directvnow offer SEC network?
Yes, but you have to buy the $70/mo package to get it.

I canceled DTV Now a few months back after NCAA ended b/c other than sports, we don't watch a lot, esp. in the summer.

With football starting up soon, PS Vue has a $54.99 package that includes SEC Network. All the others (DTV, YouTube, etc.) Charge a lot more to get SEC Network included (or don't even have it as an channel). I have a PS4, Apple TV and Fire TV and PS Vue works on all of them.

I've tried them all, and PS Vue had a much better guide than the others. YouTube's guide was just terrible when I tried it...don't recall the exact interface but I remember getting in and going..WTF is this!
Thisguy1
YouTubeTV has the SEC network in their channel lineup
agracer
AG
Thisguy1 said:

YouTubeTV has the SEC network in their channel lineup
Yes my mistake it's $49.99/mo. Ps Vue however allows 5 streams while YTube TV limits you too 3.

Strongly recommend new users give each service a 1 week free trial and just pick the one that you like best. I just recall thinking the guide on YouTube might have been designed by a 3yr old...
Thisguy1
Even if YouTube only allows 3 streams, you can have 6 different accounts on the same $49.99 main account. So if each account only allows 3 streams, you can technically have 18 TVs streaming at 1 time for $49.99 of I understand it right.

We did the free trial and liked it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.