DirecTV Now

164,073 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nobody Knows My Name
Burt Macklin, FBI
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry if this has already been covered, but 30 pages is a lot to read through and I didn't want to start a whole new thread.

I just bought the whole family new phones. While we were in the store, the guy was telling me about DirecTV Now, and I ended up signing up for a 3 month trial for the Just Right package since it includes ESPN, SEC network, etc.

I just got home to see if any of my tv's had the DirecTV Now app preloaded, and the one in the living room and the one in my bedroom do not.

One is an LG and one is a Samsung. I searched the content stores, but didn't see the apps available for download.

What's the best way to get the app? Am I going to need to buy a Firestick/AppleTV/Roku stick for each one? If so, what's the best way to go?
agdaddy04
AG
If you prepaid for 3 months hopefully you were able to get the free appletv. I do think it just came out for Samsung TV app but only the brand new TVs have it. You'll need to buy something, I've got two apple TVs so that's all I have experience with. I know some people with the fire stick we're having buffering issues at the beginning but not sure if that's still an issue.
Burt Macklin, FBI
AG
I didn't know the prepaid for the AppleTV was an option. I did a trial for the Just Right package which is normally $55/month, and I got it for $25/month for the first 3 months. And he took an extra $25 off of a phone case to offset the first months payment because I bought 4 iPhones and cases. So basically I got 3 months for $50.

What's the advantage of the AppleTV over something else if buffering issues have been fixed?
Cloud
Switched to YouTube TV this month and haven't looked back. Better app, better quality, haven't had a single stream drop.
agdaddy04
AG
Did they ever develop appletv app? That's what kept me from sticking with them before.
adamsbq06
AG
go back and prepay for 3 accounts at the lowest package for the appletv deal it still come out to like a $40-60 savings...
k20dub
AG
DirecTV Now Rolling Out more Local Stations

Article states some have appeared in Austin. Anyone notice any differences in Houston?

I don't have DirecTV Now but thought y'all would be interested.
agdaddy04
AG
Houston's been full on locals for awhile now.
Jackie Daytona
AG
Thanks for the heads up. Austin now has NBC, the last of the four majors to be added.
Charpie
AG
Finally
boy09
AG
Raptor said:

NFL Network just added.

Has anyone seen/heard anything about the Redzone Channel?
flakrat
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Did they ever develop appletv app? That's what kept me from sticking with them before.
Looks like they have an app for Apple TV 4th gen and 4K devices:
https://tv.youtube.com/learn/devices/
flakrat
AG
Unfortunately, I won't be switching to Youtube TV anytime soon since Google and Amazon are still in a pissing contests and won't release a YTTV app on the FireTV.

I'd like to since they now have my locals, which DTVNow doesn't.
agdaddy04
AG
Where are your locals out of?
Bregxit
AG
flakrat said:

Unfortunately, I won't be switching to Youtube TV anytime soon since Google and Amazon are still in a pissing contests and won't release a YTTV app on the FireTV.

I'd like to since they now have my locals, which DTVNow doesn't.

Can you access YTTV through Firefox on the FireTV? That's how I get to Youtube on there since they took away that app.
AgsWin2011
AG
One thing that drives me crazy is that sometimes I want to pause (for longer than a few minutes) or rewind to replay something I missed. Why can't you do this on DTVNOW? Does YTTV allow you to pause AND rewind live tv? If so I will gladly make the switch.
flakrat
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Where are your locals out of?
Tri-Cities (Bristol), TN. Currently, I use an HD antenna to pick up the locals and pipe them thru a Tivo.
Bregxit
AG
I do wish they'd get their ****ty DVR working properly. Tried to record the finale of Alone tonight, only have the last 22 minutes out of an hour.

I think this thing has recorded one show in its entirety for us since the feature went live.
adamsbq06
AG
Im actually cool with it sucking...

Every time it messes up I get a free month...
Bregxit
AG
AdamsBQ06 said:

Im actually cool with it sucking...

Every time it messes up I get a free month...
How are you getting that? That would make it suck less.
adamsbq06
AG
Login on your computer and chat!
Charpie
AG
Gonna try this out today
texag06ish
AG
I wish they would show frames when fast forwarding the DVR so you don't have to guess when to push play.
Charpie
AG
Got my free month for next month
Ag12thman
AG
Cloud said:

Switched to YouTube TV this month and haven't looked back. Better app, better quality, haven't had a single stream drop.
I don't believe any streaming service would work for me with my rural wireless service (averages 10 mbps), but DirecTV Now was bad with this for us. We didn't watch one show without a stream drop, which caused us to miss at least part of the airing. I still don't know if it was due to our internet speed or if it was more on the DirecTV Now side. I think it definitely has some potential, but we couldn't do it any longer and get enough value out of it, even paying much less than regular satellite TV.
dave99ag
AG
So chat online about how their sh*tty DVR? Mine has been horrible if you try to timeshift a live show.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Just got it this last week. Is there anyway to not have the stupid instructional "help" screens that pop up when you open the app?
agdaddy04
AG
What do you mean by help screens?
Charpie
AG
I complained about how it would simply just stop streaming. She said she would give me 50 percent off. I said 100 percent. Bam got it
Quincey P. Morris
AG
It pops up to tell me I can swipe right or left to go to the next channel, press menu to get to the guide, etc. the type of stuff you expect the first time you open the app but not every time you open it.
agdaddy04
AG
That's strange. For me it only did that once.
texag06ish
AG
Mine does this too. It also will not keep my CC settings tuned to off.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Considering making the move form Dtv to DtvNow - trying to catch up with all of the available information to help me make the decision.

One thing that I haven't seen answered (that I can find) is about whether or not picking up programs "in progress" is a problem?

Real life example --> Aggie games that kick at 6:30+, I often wait to start the game after I've gotten the kids in bed - is the DtvNow DVR reliable enough to allow me to do this or is there another way to get the game streaming that's not live?

Appreciate the help here if anyone can answer.
texag06ish
AG
It will record it but navigating it is difficult IMO. For example, when you FF it freezes the frame your on and only moves the time forward.
dave99ag
AG
I've tried to timeshift (wait 10-15 minutes to help skip commercials) with the DVR and it's been a disaster. I'd be curious to know other experiences. I just watch sports live and usually with the native app (WatchESPN, Fox Sports, etc).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.