DirecTV Now

164,086 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nobody Knows My Name
tmaggie50
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Firetv
trueaggie2782
AG
Newest version? What's your internet speed look like at the firetv?
WoMD
My fire stick gets l**** and freezes often when my internet connection is acting up. 99% of the time that's the issue, not the service itself.
nwspmp
My DTVN has been pretty reliable in general. The Roku app needs a bit of polishing compared to the AppleTV app, but in general both work pretty much as expected. One location is wired (AppleTV, Roku Ultra) and the other (Roku 3) is not, but all locations work pretty well.
TxAggieBand85
AG
Have DirecTV Now since the beginning. I was fairly sure that there would be some growing pains, but have stuck it out. Also use an antenna for OTA.

Apple TV - Works great, really fast to switch channels.
Amazon Firestick - Painful at times, but currently working fine. I take one on the road with me and use in hotels.

Provider Apps
Pain in the ass as no Single Sign on on Apple TV.

For the price point and watching habits, it is going to work. Can watch college football. Actually watch some OTA now, like the old days. No DVR yet.

Nice to watch some content at the office when a worthy news event breaks or see some market information.

Reality is that entertainment distribution has changed. Focus on getting a streaming device, get your antenna working and switching providers is fairly painless.

All this assumes your Internet connection is solid.
trueaggie2782
AG
nwspmp said:

My DTVN has been pretty reliable in general. The Roku app needs a bit of polishing compared to the AppleTV app, but in general both work pretty much as expected. One location is wired (AppleTV, Roku Ultra) and the other (Roku 3) is not, but all locations work pretty well.

This has been my experience too. I've got 3 latest gen fire TVs and 1 last gen Fire tv stick. I've got gigabit Internet from AT&T and live in Houston. All devices are on WiFi. Have had ver few issues with dtvn. The firetv stock is l a g g y but don't care as it's rarely used. Once it tunes to a channel though, the stream is solid.
Pman17
AG
How does one watch the Cowboys game in Houston?
agdaddy04
AG
You don't. Just like you wouldn't be able to if you had any other type of tv programming. Well unless you get Sunday Ticket.
gougler08
AG
Pman17 said:

How does one watch the Cowboys game in Houston?

Move or find a stream online...those are NFL blackout rules, nothing with DIRECTV now
flakrat
AG
I've been with DTVN since the beginning. I installed an outdoor OTA antenna for locals and purchased a Tivo for OTA DVR.

My main issues with DTVN has been that while watching a channel it will go black without sound. The solution is to change channels then change back. Usually this clears things up for the duration of that TV watching session. It does this on Apple TV and on FireTV, clearly the app or the service.

I can't wait until the DVR is made public!
agdaddy04
AG
So my xfinity internet had creeped over $100. When trying to reduce that the only way to make it cheaper was to bundle it with basic cable. What kind of sense does that make? Anyone experienced the same?
WoMD
agdaddy04 said:

So my xfinity internet had creeped over $100. When trying to reduce that the only way to make it cheaper was to bundle it with basic cable. What kind of sense does that make? Anyone experienced the same?

Yep. I've had high speed internet with xfinity for a few years now. Two years ago they doubled the speed and kept the price the same, but had to make it a package with basic cable to make it happen. They also threw in HBO for free.

The cable box is in the closet in the box it was shipped in.
Pman17
AG
Yea, there's a lot of bugs with DTVN. All of the development attention is the new redesign.
gougler08
AG
Pman17 said:

Yea, there's a lot of bugs with DTVN. All of the development attention is the new redesign.

Maybe I'm lucky but any bugs I've had have been very minor. We've had a couple times where not all of the channels show up on the guide (and aren't available) and then sometimes scrolling through the guide gets messed up and you have to leave the guide and go back. But for $35/month, I'll take that any day without complaints
agdaddy04
AG
Do yalls favorites keep getting reset? It's happened twice in the last week.
Pman17
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Do yalls favorites keep getting reset? It's happened twice in the last week.

All the time, given up on it. Hopefully it'll be fixed in the redesign.
bbattbq01
AG
I don't think they actually get "reset", they just don't dont populate for some reason.

I've never bothered to re-select my favorites but they come back. Very annoying, agree hopefully it's fixed in redesign. Especially since scrolling quickly through the guide makes it get stuck.
RangerRick9211
AG
gougler08 said:

Pman17 said:

Maybe I'm lucky but any bugs I've had have been very minor. We've had a couple times where not all of the channels show up on the guide (and aren't available) and then sometimes scrolling through the guide gets messed up and you have to leave the guide and go back. But for $35/month, I'll take that any day without complaints
I suffered the blackout screen bug until I upgraded my router to Google's mesh. I really think many of the bugs are home network related.

I don't drop streams anymore nor have I had any issues with my favorite list. The only recurring bug I have is sometimes the guide selector box disappears. It will scroll between channel and time slots, but the white selector box won't be there. Back out and return to guide usually fixes it.
Charpie
AG
Yeah I have that bug too
gougler08
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

gougler08 said:

Pman17 said:

I suffered the blackout screen bug until I upgraded my router to Google's mesh. I really think many of the bugs are home network related.

I don't drop streams anymore nor have I had any issues with my favorite list. The only recurring bug I have is sometimes the guide selector box disappears. It will scroll between channel and time slots, but the white selector box won't be there. Back out and return to guide usually fixes it.

Yep that's the only bug I have (you explained it better than I did)
trueaggie2782
AG
This occurs because as you scroll up and down through the guide, the selector seems to move to the right (seemingly moving with the whole program slots). When it disappears, hit the left arrow a couple of times and you should see the selector again.
agdaddy04
AG
The box I've found is typically on the bottom. So if you keep scrolling to the top eventually it shows back up.
agdaddy04
AG
The box I've found is typically on the bottom. So if you keep scrolling to the top eventually it shows back up.
aezmvp
The only reason I've kept them at this point is that I only pay $10 for it through AT&T. I've had more problems with watching Cowboys games and am constantly having to sign out and in to access my channels. I'd greatly prefer to go with Vue, but just can't justify the extra cash.
Charpie
AG
What?
Bregxit
AG
I have both Vue and DTVN and lately Vue has been way buggier. Especially on mobile.
jtmoney03
AG
I have it, too. If you choose the unlimited family plan on the mobile side, you get $25 credit on DTV or DTVN. So if you've been in since the beginning and are grandfathered with $35, then you can have it for $10!
AggieFrog
AG
jtmoney03 said:

I have it, too. If you choose the unlimited family plan on the mobile side, you get $25 credit on DTV or DTVN. So if you've been in since the beginning and are grandfathered with $35, then you can have it for $10!
Note that corporate discount doesn't apply so would actually be more expensive for me. Also the unlimited plan is limited to 3 Mbps.
texag06ish
AG
AggieFrog said:

jtmoney03 said:

Note that corporate discount doesn't apply so would actually be more expensive for me. Also the unlimited plan is limited to 3 Mbps.

It does suck that they took away the corporate discount.
trueaggie2782
AG
This go completely down for anyone else?
txag2k
AG
trueaggie2782 said:

This go completely down for anyone else?
Yup!
trueaggie2782
AG
Back up now but that was just strange.
92ags
AG
Called in. It was a massive server issue. Outages across country. Had to reboot entire system per support person.
Charpie
AG
Got an email about cloud dvr being added to my account by 11/7!!
Bregxit
AG
Charpie said:

Got an email about cloud dvr being added to my account by 11/7!!

Cool! Hope it works better by then than it has in beta. I have literally never been able to record a show and always get the following. Sent yet another feedback email that will probably go unanswered.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.