DirecTV Now

164,054 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nobody Knows My Name
bdenby
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just ordered the Harmony Hub. Have you been pleased with it? I only plan to use it for my A/V system at this point.
aTm2004
AG
Well, I'm set up to make the switch to streaming come next month. My old ass router bit it Wednesday afternoon. Since I needed to get a new router, I decided to take my internet provider up on their offer for a new modem since I kept getting alerts that it wasn't allowing me to get the speed I was paying for. My plan was to just buy a modem/router combo, but they gave me a new modem for free (not leased), so I figured what the hell. I also learned that I had a 350 gig data cap, but for the same damn price, I could upgrade to double my speed and get unlimited. Since I'm going to be streaming a lot more, it was a no brainer. So, I'm set up to start streaming, but need to get the FireTV and an antenna.

Any recommendations on a good outdoor antenna? I want to get one because I want to get CBS and want a backup for the network channels should the internet go down or something. I have a couple of friends in my area (Kingwood) that have done this and had bad luck with indoor antennas due to the radiant barrier in their attic. I'm looking at this one from Amazon and am thinking about taking my satellite down and mounting this on the pole since the coax is already running from the outside to the hub inside. Has anybody else tried this with any success?
GT_Aggie2015
AG
I've done it to where you put the indoor antenna in the attic and use the existing coax cables to run it throughout the house with a high quality splitter. So I guess a similar set up as you. It worked well until spring time happened and trees started getting full of leaves. We just moved the antenna. I'd imagine getting a decent outdoor antenna would work as well
agdaddy04
AG
Seems like there are a few new channels?
dummble
AG
I really like it. Well I really liked my previous harmony remote so this one just added more support for more devices and the ability to control it from your phone. The one we got also controls smart lights as well.

the biggest plus is one remote for the tv, receiver and amazon fire. Simplifies things for the people who do not live with us.
Pman17
AG
agdaddy04 said:

They just added Reelz if you're into that celebrity stuff.
crowman2010
AG
agdaddy04 said:

BUT STILL NO *******ED ROOT SPORTS!!!
Pman17
AG
Annoying we dont get NBC in Houston right now.
agdaddy04
AG
You can use NBC app. Just can't watch live tv.
gougler08
AG
Just buy an antenna for $20, works great
Silvertaps
AG
I just started up DTV Now a month age...I'm not understanding this. I can't watch NBC on DTV Now during a game?
agdaddy04
AG
At least not in Houston. Haven't reached an agreement yet. It's set by local market
AggieFrog
AG
agdaddy04 said:

You can use NBC app. Just can't watch live tv.

Not working for me in Fort Worth.
agdaddy04
AG
Can you search for NBC shows inside DTV Now app?
AggieFrog
AG
Nope - doesn't work on Apple TV or phone. Also can't use NBCSports.com, but can use DirecTV Now via a browser on my desktop and then cast to the TV. That's the only way that seems to work.
aezmvp
AggieFrog said:

Nope - doesn't work on Apple TV or phone. Also can't use NBCSports.com, but can use DirecTV Now via a browser on my desktop and then cast to the TV. That's the only way that seems to work.
Chromecast and FireTV failure had to do the computer as well.
Bregxit
AG
Just got the invite and signed up for DTVNow cloud DVR beta! Crossing my fingers I get to play!
Silvertaps
AG
I'm using DTV Now via firestick...not showing on NBC. I'm
Just gonna have to get a long range HDTV antenna
texag06ish
AG
That's awesome! How do I get an invite?
Bregxit
AG
texag06ish said:

That's awesome! How do I get an invite?

Dunno. Just got an email from them asking if I wanted to participate.
Pman17
AG
gougler08 said:

Just buy an antenna for $20, works great
Yea, I got one coming in today. Bought a used Mohu Leaf 50 for $35.
AggieFrog
AG
Deal wil CBS announced.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/content/directtv-now-strikes-cbs-deal/414432
Charpie
AG
Fantastic
texag06ish
AG
AggieFrog said:

Deal wil CBS announced.

With DVR coming in Q4, it looks like we are set for Football season.
aTm2004
AG
Well, I'm glad I didn't order the antenna yet. I was going to go with PS Vue and get an antenna for CBS, but this might make me spend the extra $5/mo. Hopefully it's on their lineup by the end of the month.
texag06ish
AG
I was going to invest in TiVo. Glad I waited.
A1_Ag_95
AG
So even without locals in SA does this mean I can watch cbs game of the week on an app with DTV sign in?
Pman17
AG
AggieFrog said:

Deal wil CBS announced.

Sweet because the antenna I bought doesn't pick up CBS Houston in Galveston, basically I paid $40 for an antenna with a cable mounted to my living room floor to the window to get NBC Houston. All I need is NBC Houston on DirecTV Now! Other than that, I'm set for football season.

Looks like DirecTV Now reins the supreme service as long as they don't add an extra charge for CBS. YouTube TV can't even get the Viacom Channels.
aTm2004
AG
Does DTVN not have NBC?
gougler08
AG
aTm2004 said:

Does DTVN not have NBC?
I log in fine to NBC Sports, so I would assume they would have normal NBC things as well. It's not a local we get in Houston though (only FOX and ABC right now)
texag06ish
AG
dlance said:

Just got the invite and signed up for DTVNow cloud DVR beta! Crossing my fingers I get to play!

Have you found out if you are going to be able to participate?
Pman17
AG
gougler08 said:

aTm2004 said:

Does DTVN not have NBC?
I log in fine to NBC Sports, so I would assume they would have normal NBC things as well. It's not a local we get in Houston though (only FOX and ABC right now)
Not the live channel in Houston but we do get NBC on demand. I think live sports is only viewable on the little screens through the Sports Network app.
Pman17
AG
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cbs-networks-to-launch-on-directv-now-300500262.html

Details...
they said only 25 local stations
and it starts initially with these below
  • New York
  • Los Angeles
  • Chicago
  • Philadelphia
  • Dallas Ft. Worth
  • San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose
  • Boston
  • Detroit
  • Minneapolis-St. Paul
  • Miami-Ft. Lauderdale
  • Denver
  • Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto, CA
  • Pittsburgh
  • Baltimore

Dang, no Houston

but, Fox, NBC, and ABC will be adding 30 more local stations in the coming weeks

Showtime added as an option to the extra movies packages (HBO, CineMax, Starz) for $8/mo
Bregxit
AG
texag06ish said:

dlance said:

Have you found out if you are going to be able to participate?

Haven't heard anything yet.
trueaggie2782
AG
I just got the beta program email.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.