DirecTV Now

164,049 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nobody Knows My Name
texag06ish
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How do you make the AppleTV app default to no closed captions? I've turned them off multiple times but every time I turn on the TV, they are right back.
agdaddy04
AG
Did you go into the main settings?
texag06ish
AG
I did.
bigboykin
AG
Anybody else not able to access local channels since the update?

EDIT TO UPDATE: Just got off a chat with CS. Apparently it is a known bug many users are experiencing and they are working hard to fix it. They did give me a $5 credit for my trouble. So at the very least, if you have this bug spend a few minutes on the live chat and get a credit.
agdaddy04
AG
With the new app it doesn't appear you can restart a show that aired earlier in the day even if it has the restart symbol. Very strange
The Collective
AG
Not a huge fan of the app. Is this what I've been waiting for all this time? Really tempted to just go back to PS Vue.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
New app does suck, but for $35 a month for the GO BIG package, I'm definitely going to give them plenty of time to get things worked out.
Objective Aggie
AG
COtto1984 said:

New app does suck, but for $35 a month for the GO BIG package, I'm definitely going to give them plenty of time to get things worked out.
Bregxit
AG
The new app was working for me on FireTV, then an update got pushed and it won't load. Kinda blows.
dave99ag
AG
I rarely use the DTV Now app and stick with the native apps. I'd probably use it more if they somehow replicated the old DTV interface.
ccaggie05
AG
Just signed up just to get the Apple TV 4K for $105.

Maybe I'll use DTV Now to DVR the World Cup since my cable DVR is almost full.
Ag12thman
AG
trueaggie2782 said:

New app available for Roku now.
I just signed up for the Go Big package and am trying to set it up on my actual televisions as so far I have only been watching on my computer via Chrome. What Roku device do you guys recommend?
nwspmp
Ag12thman said:

trueaggie2782 said:

New app available for Roku now.
I just signed up for the Go Big package and am trying to set it up on my actual televisions as so far I have only been watching on my computer via Chrome. What Roku device do you guys recommend?
https://www.thrifter.com/roku-ultra

This is the one I have and did some pre-release testing with. Works great with DTVNow. Also happens to be on sale right now for $10 more than the Streaming Stick+ model.I like it for the physical Ethernet port; I have a small switch at my entertainment center and it's Ethernet port means no WiFi interference problems, not that I really have those. Just good to not have to worry about it. Also has the 3.5mm jack for private listening and MicroSD/USB media play options.
Ag12thman
AG
Wow! Looks to be a very good deal and I was looking hard at (and almost ordered) the Streaming Stick + last night. Thanks for sharing this. I did not catch that it was only $10 more last night, but that was probably because I just felt like the Stick + model would be enough for me.

I'm not quite sure I understand the "500,000 + movies and TV episodes" that is advertised along with it. How does that work? Also, I have two TVs that I'd like to be able to stream DirecTV Now to. I assume I'd need two Roku streaming devices, correct?
agdaddy04
AG
Did you not get the free appletv with 3 month prepay?
Ag12thman
AG
No, it wasn't offered to me, but I signed up at the store after going to the unlimited plan with AT&T. Maybe that's why?
goose91
AG
Anyone else having issues with DirectNow at the moment?

The app takes forever to load. Channels taking "longer than expect to load your video". I've got several channels that won't load at all. Then if the channel does start playing, they constantly freeze up and are unwatchable. All of this started yesterday evening.

I am able to stream other services without issues so it is just DirectvNow for some reason.

Chris '91
AgShaun00
AG
goose91 said:

The app takes forever to load. Channels taking "longer than expect to load your video". I've got several channels that won't load at all. Then if the channel does start playing, they constantly freeze up and are unwatchable. All of this started yesterday evening.

I am able to stream other services without issues so it is just DirectvNow for some reason.

Chris '91
it is awful right now.
goose91
AG
AgShaun00 said:

goose91 said:

Chris '91
it is awful right now.
Tried watching ESPN last night.... play for 30 seconds, freeze for 30 seconds, play for 30 seconds.... all evening.

Hopefully they get it fixed soon.

Chris '91
easttexasaggie04
AG
Is this promotion still going on (free Apple TV)? I can't seem to find it.
Bregxit
AG
goose91 said:

Chris '91

Yep. For a couple of days now.
bigboykin
AG
I can't believe they kept it in closed beta so long, only to release it in worse-than-alpha condition. The app is absolute garbage right now. Honestly, if it wasn't for the grandfathered Go Big package rate, I would've dumped them a long time ago.
Jackie Daytona
AG
Don't forget you can use the ESPN app when this happens
agdaddy04
AG
bigboykin said:

I can't believe they kept it in closed beta so long, only to release it in worse-than-alpha condition. The app is absolute garbage right now. Honestly, if it wasn't for the grandfathered Go Big package rate, I would've dumped them a long time ago.

My wife, who rarely watches tv, said if it doesn't get any better we're going to have to dump it. The app absolutely sucks now and has a lot of glitches. I love paying the $35.00 but not if it's unusable for most of the time.
WoMD
Everything was freezing and not loading a couple days ago. I'm not sure if it's relevant to the problems you guys are having or not, but I checked the connection speed to the Apple TV and it was basically zero. After rebooting the modem and router everything has worked perfectly again since then, just like before. No more freezes. Might be complete coincidence, or not the same issue as you guys are having.
Bregxit
AG
WoMD said:

Everything was freezing and not loading a couple days ago. I'm not sure if it's relevant to the problems you guys are having or not, but I checked the connection speed to the Apple TV and it was basically zero. After rebooting the modem and router everything has worked perfectly again since then, just like before. No more freezes. Might be complete coincidence, or not the same issue as you guys are having.

My issue was on both FireTVs in my house. Also my iPhone for a bit last weekend.
WoMD
dlance said:

WoMD said:

Everything was freezing and not loading a couple days ago. I'm not sure if it's relevant to the problems you guys are having or not, but I checked the connection speed to the Apple TV and it was basically zero. After rebooting the modem and router everything has worked perfectly again since then, just like before. No more fremezes. Might be complete coincidence, or not the same issue as you guys are having.

My issue was on both FireTVs in my house. Also my iPhone for a bit last weekend.

It was doing the same on my iPad. Also had poor connectivity when attempting to stream and also resolved after rebooting. I assumed my problem was limited to a network issue as it responded to a simple reboot. All other internet use was working while having the problems, though, including browsing on the iPad. Again, it's likely a coincidence but never know what could help.
cr
goose91 said:

Chris '91

Software meets TV. Ain't it grand!
goose91
AG
JDB1996 said:

Don't forget you can use the ESPN app when this happens
It is actually what I end up doing most of the time. This time I decided to just turn it off and work on some stuff around the house.

Chris '91
jaggiemaggie
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

Is this promotion still going on (free Apple TV)? I can't seem to find it.
https://www.directvnow.com/appletv
Jackie Daytona
AG
fyi, an update hit the appletv and ios today, but i haven't had a chance to try either out.
Tabasco
AG
In case anyone has to cancel, it is incredibly easy. You just go to their website, sign in, go to account information, and click the cancel plan button. No need to call, get the run around, sent to retention, and all that BS. Props for simplicity.
agdaddy04
AG
That's the big reason i like streaming programs. Although cancelling YouTube TV was a pita
ktownag08
AG
Still working flawlessly on Amazon Fire TV for us.
AgsWin2011
AG
Haven't had any issues with it. Got the free Apple TV with pre paying for 3 months of the cheapest package. When the 3 months is up I'll be switching to YouTube TV as they offer all local channels in my area. DirecTV Now doesn't give me any. PS Vue gives me CBS but none of the others. That's going to be a no for me come football season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.