DirecTV Now

164,083 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nobody Knows My Name
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
$35 intro pricing ends January 9 if anyone is still on the fence.
http://www.rttnews.com/2729287/directv-now-is-raising-price-of-35-bundle.aspx
tamusc
AG
Good call, I' probably going to give it a shot for three months and get a free Apple TV out of the deal.

https://directvnow.com/appletv#slide1
gougler08
AG
tamusc said:

Good call, I' probably going to give it a shot for three months and get a free Apple TV out of the deal.

https://directvnow.com/appletv#slide1
That's what I did, signed up last week. So far the service has been good outside of a couple times where it was unwatchable
TwoTimeAg
AG
The prepay for 1 month, get a free Amazon Fire stick...3 months get a 32gb Apple TV deal is still valid as well. If you can find a corporate store that still has them in stock, you can sign up there and get your freebie on the spot. I signed up and got the Apple TV yesterday.
tamusc
AG
Good to know! I've got a couple stores right around me so I might try that rather than waiting on one to be delivered.
Charpie
AG
I want an apple tv
tamusc
AG
Can you not use the link I posted to get one by prepaying for three months?
flakrat
AG
I'm sure they'll add this, but right now Apple TV single sign on doesn't support DirecTv Now, only stock DirecTv
Charpie
AG
link doesn't work
tamusc
AG
Hmmm, just tried it on both mobile and desktop browsers and it worked on all of them.

Did you make sure you're logged out of DirectTV Now on the browser you're using?
Charpie
AG
Yup.

I think I'm gonna create a new account just to get the apple tv..then set a reminder to shut it off once the 3months are up.
flakrat
AG
I have both the Fire TV and the Apple TV (the latter thanks to DTVNow). So far, the DTVNow app performs better on the Apple TV. However, the standalone apps like WatchESPN, HBO Go etc... all appear to perform equally as good on both AND they perform better than the DirecTV Now app.

My recommendation to anyone just starting out, use the DTV Now app for live TV and if available use the dedicated network app when available.

I'm sure the DTV Now app will get a lot better, especially when they add DVR functionality, but right now for on demand I find it clunky and the stream pauses a lot.

For reference, I have 80Mbps down / 20 Mbps up fiber through our electric company that routinely gets or slightly exceeds that performance on speedtest.net and others.
Pman17
AG
I love my DirecTV Now and sticking with it at the grandfathered price.

Some people are experimenting each service. Hulu just showed off what theirs will look like, but no details on pricing and line up.

Cloud
Performance has been a lot better for us on Apple TV he past few weeks.
boy09
AG
Anybody else experiencing the DTV Now app just randomly signing out? It's happened to me 3 or 4 times the past 2 days on the Fire TV stick. The stream will just stop and I have to re-enter my password..
ktownag08
AG
Happened to my twice today while watching the Packers game. Something is up with their system.

Also was having trouble with Disney Junior using DirecTV Now credentials. Had to clear app cache and sign back in.
always gig em
AG
Signed up today for 3 months and really hoping it doesn't take the 2-3 weeks stated in the welcome email for me to receive my appletv.
AGSmith
AG
Does the limit of 2 streams per account only apply to streams within the DTV Now app, or across all apps (e.g., Does using the WatchESPN app signed in with my DTV Now login info count as 1 stream)?
agdaddy04
AG
It told me 2-3 days
txag2k
AG
Streaming the natty but for sure see resolution is not optimal (looks like non-digital cable). I've got 1Gig service @ home from Suddenlink fwiw.
belowpar
AG
I'm a Playstation Vue guy, more expensive but gives me all the channels I need/want. DTV now had some holes. Very good deal tho. We use Fire TV's on main TV's and Fire stick on outside TV, Kids TV, etc. Allows up to 5 streams at once and has the locals in DFW (minus ABC live, only on demand). I pay $75 but includes HBO, Showtime, EPIX, locals, everything they offer.

Absolutely love it.
tamusc
AG
belowpar said:

I'm a Playstation Vue guy, more expensive but gives me all the channels I need/want. DTV now had some holes. Very good deal tho. We use Fire TV's on main TV's and Fire stick on outside TV, Kids TV, etc. Allows up to 5 streams at once and has the locals in DFW (minus ABC live, only on demand). I pay $75 but includes HBO, Showtime, EPIX, locals, everything they offer.

Absolutely love it.
I'm probably going to go back to Vue after the three months with DirecTV Now as we're missing the DVR and dropping down to two streams has caused a few issues.

Overall, not bad and I basically got a free Apple TV out of the deal.
tamusc
AG
Pman17 said:

I love my DirecTV Now and sticking with it at the grandfathered price.

Some people are experimenting each service. Hulu just showed off what theirs will look like, but no details on pricing and line up.

Very intrigued by this as well. IF they have better coverage for locals than Vue, this could be a serious contender.
dave99ag
AG
I don't really care about locals (B/CS news? meh), but I do want a service that offers all the networks (ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox). Hopefully one of them will figure that out at some point.
tamusc
AG
dave99ag said:

I don't really care about locals (B/CS news? meh), but I do want a service that offers all the networks (ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox). Hopefully one of them will figure that out at some point.
That's more what I meant when I said locals. I want to be able to stream the big four live and not have that restricted by content (like sports blackouts or streaming restrictions on mobile).
gougler08
AG
tamusc said:

dave99ag said:

That's more what I meant when I said locals. I want to be able to stream the big four live and not have that restricted by content (like sports blackouts or streaming restrictions on mobile).
Agreed, that's really my only frustration with Directv Now (we don't get CBS or NBC in Houston). I'll probably just go get an antenna, but I'd like to have everything in one interface
AggieLong
AG
I just picked up an HD antenna off Amazon for ~$25. I now get all of the local Houston stations.
TexasAggie008
AG
AggieLong said:

I just picked up an HD antenna off Amazon for ~$25. I now get all of the local Houston stations.
Same with me in Dallas. Some of you guys who for whatever reason are not cool with the HD antenna option are missing out. Its $25 and literally takes maybe 10 minutes to set up. You can then hide all of the BS channels you don't want and have a clean 5-6 OTA channels to flip through when you aren't watching the Apple TV/fire stick for "cable".
gougler08
AG
TexasAggie008 said:

AggieLong said:

Same with me in Dallas. Some of you guys who for whatever reason are not cool with the HD antenna option are missing out. Its $25 and literally takes maybe 10 minutes to set up. You can then hide all of the BS channels you don't want and have a clean 5-6 OTA channels to flip through when you aren't watching the Apple TV/fire stick for "cable".
Which one do you use? I'd like to go ahead and order it today so I have it for the games this weekend
txag2k
AG
AggieLong said:

Link to the one you got please.
AggieLong
AG
1byone 50 Miles Amplified HDTV Antenna with Amplifier Booster USB Power Supply To Boost Signal and 20foot Coaxial Cable, Shiny Antenna
Bregxit
AG
TexasAggie008 said:

AggieLong said:

Keep in mind it all depends in where you are in relation to the transmitter as well. For example in Houston they are all SW of the city in Missouri City. I live on the north side and would have to have my antenna up 40' to get reception.

Line of sight is a *****.
TexasAggie008
AG
This is the one I got almost 3 years ago

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007MXZB2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

is actually $44...but still. as long as you pick one with good reviews I'd imagine they're all about the same.
gougler08
AG
Hmmmm, is CBS not an over the air channel in Houston?
Bregxit
AG
gougler08 said:

Hmmmm, is CBS not an over the air channel in Houston?
Of course it is. Why?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.