DirecTV Now

164,030 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nobody Knows My Name
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm still on the fence with all this. Vue is the closest to satellite cable IMO, but still lacks locals where I live. None of these are quite competing apples to apples with Dish Network yet, and I only pay $60 for cable. I have all the channels I need including local, 1000 hours of whole home HD DVR for 4 TVs, no lagging issues or limits on streams, can change rooms in the middle of a show, download DVR content to ipad or iphone, etc. I hate to take a few steps back just to save $20-$30.

I don't see any dish customers chiming in on this thread that they are cutting, maybe there's a reason for that. I think they are at the right price as it is and they are ahead of the tech curve in my opinion.

I have an apple TV and a firestick with prime, but I never use them. Netflix is built into the Dish guide, and that's about the only time I am not watching DVR bank or live TV.

It seems these options are really geared towards the person who was paying $200 for their cable, and now they see these $30-$50 price points and it's a no brainer to drop cable..

I was the same, but I cut down to a $60 package years ago.

suprafly03
AG
If I only paid $60 per month for Direct TV, I probably wouldn't bother. the price difference simply isn't worth the compromise.

I was paying A LOT more than $60. And I rarely (almost never) watch live TV. My family only uses ipads to watch their shows.

For us it was a no-brainer.

The thing that kept me from pulling the trigger was live sports. I now feel that is overcome. The only compromise left is DVR functionality...
jagouar1
AG
62strat said:

I dropped dish a few yrs ago... the programming package isn't bad but that changes when you add all the fees. For just 2 joeys and hopper dvr (3 TV's total) it was adding $30 to my bill which is not insignificant and one of the big advantages of these systems is using existing equipment you likely already have (Roku, amazon firetv, xbox, etc) and it is effectively on any tv you have and not just the ones I choose to have a joey on.

jopatura
AG
That's kind of where I am with all the cable cutting. We pay $45/mo for our second-tier DIRECTV package. That includes the equipment and fees. We do save some since we have AT&T for our cell phones. DIRECTV Now comes the closest to getting everything we want streaming, but we're not in a good location for local channels through an antenna.

I would consider paying for ROOT Sports extra, but DIRECTV requires us to buy the full sports package. That's just not worth it to us. I'll wait until MLB.tv dissolves the blackout cities, which I think is supposed to happen this season or next.

The only "streaming" service we pay for is Amazon Prime and that's used for the shipping. I will queue up Daniel Tiger for my kid on it though.
62strat
AG
jagouar1 said:

62strat said:

I dropped dish a few yrs ago... the programming package isn't bad but that changes when you add all the fees. For just 2 joeys and hopper dvr (3 TV's total) it was adding $30 to my bill which is not insignificant and one of the big advantages of these systems is using existing equipment you likely already have (Roku, amazon firetv, xbox, etc) and it is effectively on any tv you have and not just the ones I choose to have a joey on.

There is no charge for a hopper, but the Joeys/Superjoeys are $7/$10. DVR is $12, which is a bit steep.. but it's like 1000 hours on the hopper, and it's something that I absolutely can not live without at this point.

But to me, this isn't just throwing money away.. for one, joey's are wireless now, so you can move tvs around or put them where you don't have an outlet like many of these other devices. (garage, back deck, etc), and all the equipment talks to each other. SuperJoeys also have extra tuner capabilities, so I have like 6 tuners in all (basically allows me to have any combination of 6 tvs playing live or recording at once.), not including prime time networks, which doesn't count against your tuner availability or your DVR storage (it's unlimited) I have 1 DVR bank with hundreds of hours of content that I can pull up on any tv or phone/ipad with internet connection to watch. I can set to record anything from any tv, computer or other device with the app. I can hit pause in the den at the end of the night, and go up to master bedroom and hit resume. I can download dvr'd content onto a device to watch without a connection (like on the plane)

Also, when dish upgrades their equipment, I can upgrade for no additional cost (that's been my experience after 10 or so years, and three different sets of equipment) This is obviously not the case for equipment you buy.

All of this has value to me, so I think the $7 is justified. All these devices work for 1 tv (unless you're moving them, but that seems archaic) and it's not like they're free, some of them are substantial like apple tv, and you are probably upgrading them once every 18-24 months. (apple tv is on 5th version after 9 years, so ~21 months per)

Also you say you 'already have' these other devices.. why would you have them if you have cable? I have an apple tv because I got it free from work, and I recently bought a firestick because I was contemplating trying out Vue and I got it on prime day for cheap.. but otherwise, I have none of these items.. because I don't need them since I have traditional cable. I don't understand that argument at all.

TX_AG_10
AG
http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/5/13845928/cbs-ceo-directv-now-streaming-deal-likely
flakrat
AG
I'm loving the $5 additional charge for HBO.

The user interface on Amazon Fire is pretty weak, almost alpha quality.

We just purchased a new house and are going to attempt to use DTVnow when we move and drop our DTV SAT service.

We'll see.

I'm thinking of getting a Tivo and good quality HD antenna to deal with locals and DVR functionality.
jonj101
Pretty decent comparison here:

https://www.cnet.com/news/directv-now-vs-sling-tv-vs-playstation-vue-channels-compared/

Personally, I don't have enough of a reason to move from Vue yet. I primarily watch sports and the golf channel. DT Live won't get me into the Golf Channel until the Go Big package for $60, whereas Im paying $45 for it now.
TX_AG_10
AG
Go Big had a limited time grandfathered price of $35. I would think they would run that promotion longer than 1 week.
bigboykin
AG
TX_AG_10 said:

Go Big had a limited time grandfathered price of $35. I would think they would run that promotion longer than 1 week.
Still shows $35 limited time offer for me.
Bogey1996
Just went to att store and got the Go Big package for $105, for 3 months and walked out with the Apple Tv box for free. Will be $35 a month starting in March. I'll be checking it out and if I like it, will be dropping my Directtv at $156/ month shortly after hopefully.
Pman17
AG
None of the AT&T stores around me had the Apple TV. I assume it's in the double sized stores. Ordered instead.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/technology/2016/12/06/week-launch-att-ceo-says-directv-now-exceedingexpectations

Glad I bought some T stock. Been going up!
Bregxit
AG
TX_AG_10 said:

Just got my Fire stick. Pretty impressed it only took a couple days!

Who did it ship through? Still waiting on my Apple TV and I signed up on launch afternoon.
JBAggie00
I signed up on launch day and my Apple TV is delivering tomorrow.
Bregxit
AG
JBAggie00 said:

I signed up on launch day and my Apple TV is delivering tomorrow.

Via what carrier? How/where did you get tracking info?
Charpie
AG
Got the fire stick since I already had Apple TV. I love the fact since I have AT&T on my phone it doesn't go against my data.
WoMD
After a few days playing around with this on my new Apple TV (only time I've ever been inside an AT&T store) I have a few questions.

1. Is there a way to go back to the previously watched channel?

2. When using the guide, is there an easy way to view the information about the currently playing programs? It might say "college basketball" but I have no clue who's playing.

3. After doing the rewind to the beginning of a program feature, is it possible to fastfoward from there? Same question after pausing.

The lack of even simple DVR features are getting more noticeable after extensively use. But for right now it might be worth the significant savings compared to DIRECTV.

So far I've been pleased with the quality of the picture though. I would assume that some of the missing features will be added as time goes on.
JBAggie00
FedEx. AT&T sent the tracking number in an email (in small print)
Bregxit
AG
JBAggie00 said:

FedEx. AT&T sent the tracking number in an email (in small print)
Thanks. I'll keep on the lookout for an email then.
TX_AG_10
AG
FedEx as well. My FireTV was delivered before I got the email.
Cloud
Ordered day one as well. No tracking info and haven't received my Apple TV yet.
bigboykin
AG
Ordered 11/30 and got my ATV today.

So far, the lack of live TV pause/rewind and lack of local channels are the two glaring issues for us. My wife officially "hates" it, so i don't know if I'll be able to hold out long term. I'm going to try to get her to stick out the 3 months and see if she comes around and/or they are some missing features.
BEaggie08
AG
bigboykin said:

So far, the lack of live TV pause/rewind and lack of local channels are the two glaring issues for us. My wife officially "hates" it, so i don't know if I'll be able to hold out long term. I'm going to try to get her to stick out the 3 months and see if she comes around and/or they are some missing features.
I'm afraid my wife is going to hate it too. So, she hasn't gone live with it yet. So far, only my 8 year-old and I have used it. I too hope that it improves over the next 3 months. If not, I'll probably try Vue.
TexasAggie008
AG
Finally got Apple TV in mail!

Few questions

- Is there a "previous channel" button (e.g. - flip from channel A to channel B, perform a function to automatically flip back to channel A)

- Anyone else have a local channel disappear on Apple TV? NBC 5 in Dallas not showing up on ATV, but on my Ipad it's viewable and works just fine.
Cloud
Pretty sure NBC is mobile and browser only right now
TexasAggie008
AG
Dang really? Sling TV had it on TV, figured the network as a whole operated the same on all plans but maybe not
Cloud
https://consumerist.com/2016/11/30/att-confirms-live-access-to-nbc-is-still-mobile-only-on-directv-now/
RangerRick9211
AG
Cloud said:

Ordered day one as well. No tracking info and haven't received my Apple TV yet.
I was day one. Received an email yesterday titled, Full stream ahead! You big screen is about to take over...

It had shipping details, FedEX, tracking and ETA of 12/13/16.

Ok, cool I'll get it Tuesday of next week. Then I got home and it was there.

Shipped from Rock Island, IL on 12/06.
Bregxit
AG
TexasAggie008 said:

Dang really? Sling TV had it on TV, figured the network as a whole operated the same on all plans but maybe not

DTV Now was released as, at best, a beta level platform. The enticement was getting in at a low price and a heavily discounted Apple TV. It is going to take some time to work everything out (like NBC on TV, CBS at all, DVR function, VOD content). I just hope they make some noticable progress quickly before everyone bails and it goes bye bye.
dave99ag
AG
Signed up on 11/30 and the Apple TV is arriving tomorrow.

Jury is still out b/c I want locals, but I'm giving them at least the 3 months to figure stuff out.
Bregxit
AG
dave99ag said:

Jury is still out b/c I want locals, but I'm giving them at least the 3 months to figure stuff out.

I doubt you'll ever get all your locals.
RangerRick9211
AG
bigboykin said:

No, pause. But you can kind-of rewind. If you click on a channel, not a program, there is a 72 hr. back-log.
TexasAggie008
AG
Got it

Only minor complaints on DTVNow on Apple TV-

1. There needs to be a "back" button (to flip to last channel viewed)
2. The guide needs to be more detailed..instead of saying "College Basketball" for instance on ESPN, should say the matchup as it does on every other guide ever
3. Full access to subscribed channels' on demand....AMC is limited and didn't have the last Walking Dead, as an example
4. Obviously DVR ability would be nice, but I'm sure that will come along...Sling doesn't have it either, so Vue is only real winner here.

Overall I'm happy with it, and as yall said it will only get better. Besides people who have had severe technical issues, I'm not sure how one could objectively say that its "worse" than Sling....or, at worse, has just as much upside over the next year as Vue (assuming DVR cloud happens).
RangerRick9211
AG
dlance said:

dave99ag said:

Mas dinero, but Apple TV + HDHomeRun + Channels get's you OTA locals.
Bregxit
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

dlance said:

dave99ag said:

Mas dinero, but Apple TV + HDHomeRun + Channels get's you OTA locals.
Does one of those re-broadcast OTA signals? I cannot receive OTA at my location without having an antenna on a tower because the transmitters are on the extreme opposite side of Houston from my house.

ETA: Looks like not

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.