DirecTV Now

164,038 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nobody Knows My Name
gougler08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dlance said:

gougler08 said:

Hmmmm, is CBS not an over the air channel in Houston?
Of course it is. Why?
Never mind, the website I was looking at to show all the options didn't have it listed as CBS...but channel 11 is on there

irish pete ag06
AG
What DVR do yal use for the OTA antenna?
bbattbq01
AG
I bought a TiVo roamio OTA.
nwspmp
irish pete ag06 said:

Previously TVHeadend, now PlexDVR
irish pete ag06
AG
bbattbq01 said:

TiVo is great, I just hate paying $15 a month.
irish pete ag06
AG
nwspmp said:

irish pete ag06 said:

Previously TVHeadend, now PlexDVR
Mind sharing your thoughts about those? Any monthly fees with them?
bbattbq01
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

bbattbq01 said:

Roamio OTA has no monthly fee.
irish pete ag06
AG
bbattbq01 said:

irish pete ag06 said:

bbattbq01 said:

Roamio OTA has no monthly fee.
Wat. I had the Roamio 2 summers ago when it first came out and it was $15 per month. Has something changed?
irish pete ag06
AG
Aha. They changed that. When the first Roamio came out in 2014 it was $15 per month... That's awesome.
Charpie
AG
I paid 350 for my tivo..no monthly fee
bbattbq01
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Aha. They changed that. When the first Roamio came out in 2014 it was $15 per month... That's awesome.

Yeah, I think they came out with the "OTA" version last year at some point that doesn't have the monthly fee. It is a little more pricey than the bolt though to make up for that.
irish pete ag06
AG
bbattbq01 said:

irish pete ag06 said:

Yeah, I think they came out with the "OTA" version last year at some point that doesn't have the monthly fee. It is a little more pricey than the bolt though to make up for that.
That's still great. I would much rather pay some up front and have no monthly fee.
TwoTimeAg
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

bbattbq01 said:

irish pete ag06 said:

That's still great. I would much rather pay some up front and have no monthly fee.
Still some lifetime TiVo service cards that you could buy floating around...
irish pete ag06
AG
TwoTimeAg said:

irish pete ag06 said:

bbattbq01 said:

irish pete ag06 said:

Still some lifetime TiVo service cards that you could buy floating around...
Interesting. I've googled and read about this a little... is eBay the only spot to find these?
tamusc
AG
FYI, I paid my three months up front last Friday to get a free Apple TV and it is out for delivery today.
Charpie
AG
I paid for mine last week and got it Tuesday. THen I canceled my 3 months. Hey..I got an apple tv for 50 bucks off retail
irish pete ag06
AG
Got a question for those that have the DirecTV Now lowest tier account. Does the login on the WatchESPN app give you access to SEC Network and ESPNU?
tamusc
AG
Charpie said:

I paid for mine last week and got it Tuesday. THen I canceled my 3 months. Hey..I got an apple tv for 50 bucks off retail
What service are you using then? Vue?
Charpie
AG
I already had DTVN when I got my fire. So I'm just using that on both devices.
tamusc
AG
Ahh, that's right, you just added a temp second account to get the Apple TV for free/cheap
irish pete ag06
AG
Charpie said:

BEaggie08
AG
So, many of us are several weeks into our experience with DTVNow. How are most of you feeling? Will you stick with it? If not, what improvements would be needed to keep you?

If I had to make a choice right now, I would probably drop it and try Hulu's soon to be expanded service or switch to Vue. I'd like live network channels included, and more robust on-demand that would effectively remove the need for a DVR (for me). More refined organization capabilities would be nice too. I'd like to build a list of favorite shows (akin to a DVR list) and have the ability to go to an unwatched content page.
Charpie
AG
Not for me. I like my TiVo with my local channels. And I only watch a handful of cable channels. So it's cheap for me.
AggieFrog
AG
I'm sending my DirecTV equipment back tomorrow and keeping DIRECTV Now. It still has some bugs to work out but overall I'm satisfied for the grandfathered $35 package.
gougler08
AG
AggieFrog said:

I'm sending my DirecTV equipment back tomorrow and keeping DIRECTV Now. It still has some bugs to work out but overall I'm satisfied for the grandfathered $35 package.
I think this is where I am, now that I have an antenna for the local channels. I do hope that the on demand service gets better and/or a cloud based DVR is offered (similar to Vue), but my wife and I are spending less time watching TV and more time doing other things now, so that's a win/win to me
WGann3
AG
AggieFrog said:

I called and cancelled my regular DirecTV today, I've been very happy with DirecTV Now so far. It's been very reliable, not perfect, but better than I expected so close to launch.

Something pretty cool to note, when I called and cancelled, AT&T let me keep my unlimited data plan on my cell phone that I was getting for being a regular DirecTV customer since I stayed with another DirecTV service. I had basically talked myself into just expecting to get screwed on that.
goose91
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Got a question for those that have the DirecTV Now lowest tier account. Does the login on the WatchESPN app give you access to SEC Network and ESPNU?
Saw this posted above and had a question along the same lines.

With the DirectNow $35 plan (which I signed up for on Monday), which other online services does that give me access too. Can I login to WatchESPN? What about other apps like the NBC and Fox sports apps?

Is there a place I can get a complete listing of those or should we keep a running list on this thread?

Thanks!
Chris '91
irish pete ag06
AG
goose91 said:

irish pete ag06 said:

Saw this posted above and had a question along the same lines.

With the DirectNow $35 plan (which I signed up for on Monday), which other online services does that give me access too. Can I login to WatchESPN? What about other apps like the NBC and Fox sports apps?

Is there a place I can get a complete listing of those or should we keep a running list on this thread?

Thanks!
Chris '91

You could try out the WatchESPN app since you have a login.
gougler08
AG
I've had success with watch espn and ABC, no go with fox sports go or NBC sports right now. There's a list on the website (maybe under FAQs) that lists all apps that currently support it
irish pete ag06
AG
What is really weird to me is that DTVNow doesn't include the Root Sports Southwest. They own the channel! Doesn't make much sense really. I guess Root still hasn't secured streaming rights like Fox Sports has done with the Fox Sports Go app in the last year or so.
WoMD
No channels loading at all this morning...
gougler08
AG
WoMD said:

Disney has been working fine for me all morning...haven't checked the other channels
bigboykin
AG
WoMD said:

Most of yesterday and this morning it was the same for me. Pretty frustrating at this point. I'm keeping track and will be requesting a partial refund or free service extension.

I'm not too impressed overall, but their promo was pretty brilliant. If it ever works like it's supposed to consistently and adds DVR functionality, it would be a steal at $35. At $60, they can piss up a rope, but it does make the think about keeping the service just for grandfathering the $35. If they could add more individual network app login capability, that would help a lot too while they work out the kinks.

Regardless, I paid my $105 for 3 mos., got a free Apple TV, sold the ATV for $125, and cancelled my $90ish/mo. DTV service, so I'm way ahead at this point. And honestly, DTVN has sucked sufficiently, that my wife has gotten pretty used to using other services. I may just dump it all when the 3 mos. is up and think about picking up Sling or whatever is the best deal around September for football season.
adamsbq06
AG
those canceling DTV and switching to DTVN... did you have to pay an ETF?
WoMD
Working perfectly again this evening, so I don't know what to think...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.