DirecTV Now

164,052 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nobody Knows My Name
agdaddy04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In my experience, no.
belowpar
AG
All of the players, Playstation Vue, Directv Now, Sling TV, Youtube TV, etc. all provide free trials. Don't commit to one of them without trying all of them. It costs you nothing.

Personally, Playstation Vue was 10x better than all of them and we've had it since November. $74.99 but it includes every channel I possibly want including HBO, Showtime, EPIX, etc.
WoMD
belowpar said:

All of the players, Playstation Vue, Directv Now, Sling TV, Youtube TV, etc. all provide free trials. Don't commit to one of them without trying all of them. It costs you nothing.

Personally, Playstation Vue was 10x better than all of them and we've had it since November. $74.99 but it includes every channel I possibly want including HBO, Showtime, EPIX, etc.

Grandfathered in with Directv Now at $35, it would be hard to switch at this point only for DVR (which i do miss on occasion, but not as much as I expected). It includes HBO for free at this time (but so does xfinity), plus it includes more channels that I watch and doesnt miss any (comedy central). For the additional $40 a month I could theoretically rent any episodes that I miss (many are now on demand through the individual apps though) for a couple bucks through amazon or apple instead of recording them and still be way ahead. Once the grandfathered price goes away then it won't be nearly as much of a no-brainer, but until that point it is hard to step away from the deal that Directv Now has put in place. I might change my tune when football season comes along though.
gougler08
AG
WoMD said:

belowpar said:

Grandfathered in with Directv Now at $35, it would be hard to switch at this point only for DVR (which i do miss on occasion, but not as much as I expected). It includes HBO for free at this time (but so does xfinity), plus it includes more channels that I watch and doesnt miss any (comedy central). For the additional $40 a month I could theoretically rent any episodes that I miss (many are now on demand through the individual apps though) for a couple bucks through amazon or apple instead of recording them and still be way ahead. Once the grandfathered price goes away then it won't be nearly as much of a no-brainer, but until that point it is hard to step away from the deal that Directv Now has put in place. I might change my tune when football season comes along though.
Is the grandfathered price going away? My understanding was that it was this price unless you cancelled and then wanted to go back at a later date, but I could very easily have that wrong
boy09
AG
My thoughts exactly on DTV Now. As long as i'm locked in at $35/mo, I can't justify switching to any of the other services. It's got all the channels I want. No DVR does suck, but their on demand content pretty well covers the things I would have DVR'd anyway. Still hoping some DVR functionality will show up eventually though.
nwspmp
nwspmp said:

gougler08 said:

TexasAggie008 said:

If you live in a city, get rabbit ears on amazon for $30-40....problem solved. If this is a "deal breaker" for some of you (not having CBS or ABC on the actual service), you're missing out imo.

Even the DVR thing is a little over blown....log into the AMC or FX ap (or whatever), and watch the show the next day. Like, for Americans and Walking Dead thats what I do and besides having to sit through a few commercials it really isn't a major deal.
This, almost all the shows I like are on demand so I just watch them the following day...easy
For what it's worth, PlayOn TV just added a DirecTV Now channel, allowing for "DVR" like service on that platform and it works with the HBO included.

I just upgraded mine and found the shows to record and told it to subscribe. Now it checks the on demand streams daily and auto records the show, which is auto dumped into my Plex system.

As an added bonus, it allows the live channels on the dtvnow to stream to my Roku devices as well, on the local network, via Roku media player and the UPnP inthe Playon software.

Not for live event auto recording, but good on the show time shifting, especially since i don't always have time to watch before they leave streaming availability.
Slight update. I'm working with them now in testing a scheduler for live TV function within Playon. This would allow the Playon to, on a given schedule or on-demand, record from a live stream. Live streams can be recorded manually right now, but I wanted a way to schedule a single live recording that I wouldn't have to manually start and stop, and a way to schedule a recurring recording, for things that aren't on the on-demand.

Not built into the DirecTV Now app, but it's finally coming along.

First setup I've had that has allowed the cable/sat services to be cancelled without major wife disapproval!
txag2k
AG
nwspmp said:

nwspmp said:

gougler08 said:

TexasAggie008 said:

If you live in a city, get rabbit ears on amazon for $30-40....problem solved. If this is a "deal breaker" for some of you (not having CBS or ABC on the actual service), you're missing out imo.

Even the DVR thing is a little over blown....log into the AMC or FX ap (or whatever), and watch the show the next day. Like, for Americans and Walking Dead thats what I do and besides having to sit through a few commercials it really isn't a major deal.
This, almost all the shows I like are on demand so I just watch them the following day...easy
For what it's worth, PlayOn TV just added a DirecTV Now channel, allowing for "DVR" like service on that platform and it works with the HBO included.

I just upgraded mine and found the shows to record and told it to subscribe. Now it checks the on demand streams daily and auto records the show, which is auto dumped into my Plex system.

As an added bonus, it allows the live channels on the dtvnow to stream to my Roku devices as well, on the local network, via Roku media player and the UPnP inthe Playon software.

Not for live event auto recording, but good on the show time shifting, especially since i don't always have time to watch before they leave streaming availability.
Slight update. I'm working with them now in testing a scheduler for live TV function within Playon. This would allow the Playon to, on a given schedule or on-demand, record from a live stream. Live streams can be recorded manually right now, but I wanted a way to schedule a single live recording that I wouldn't have to manually start and stop, and a way to schedule a recurring recording, for things that aren't on the on-demand.

Not built into the DirecTV Now app, but it's finally coming along.

First setup I've had that has allowed the cable/sat services to be cancelled without major wife disapproval!

Bro! Get with me on FB to help with a few things please sir . I've been getting my wife used to DTVNow little by little during the first few months and finally cut DTV last week so full fledged cord cutter now! I want to get an antennae attached to the satellite mount to go out to each TV but that can wait. I also need to setup Plex since I have a NAS and a spare machine that I can setup some type of DVR on. It's been a few days for my wife trying to adjust to on-demand vs DVR and I need to get something setup soon or she might revolt.
TMoney2007
AG
I'm about tired of them not adding apps (like for roku or xbone) and not adding DVR when they said it was coming soon.

Its been out since november and nothing has changed...
texag06ish
AG
Can anyone tell me if I can use a TiVo Bolt with Directv Now as a DVR?
hph6203
AG
You can't.
texag06ish
AG
Boooooooo.
agdaddy04
AG
Just got the email that it works with roku now
texag06ish
AG
My family made the change to Directv Now this week. We have Cat5 lines in every room so we are using AppleTv's connected with Ethernet cords and the app responds faster than my old Directv Genie. So far so good, hoping they lock down locals in DFW by football season.
AggieFrog
AG
texag06ish said:

hoping they lock down locals in DFW by football season.
You should already be good for college football season. ESPN networks and Fox are covered by DirecTV Now and CBS usually streams for free, or at worst you'd pay $5/month for the full CBS app.
WoMD
AggieFrog said:

texag06ish said:

CBS usually streams for free

Umm...no.
AggieFrog
AG
WoMD said:

AggieFrog said:

texag06ish said:

Umm...no.

Um - yes. CBS app on the phone streamed our games last year for free. Just mirror your phone on the TV.
WoMD
AggieFrog said:

WoMD said:

AggieFrog said:

texag06ish said:

Umm...no.

Um - yes. CBS app on the phone streamed our games last year for free. Just mirror your phone on the TV.

Even without a tv service login? If so, my apologies.
tamusc
AG
WoMD said:

AggieFrog said:

WoMD said:

AggieFrog said:

texag06ish said:

Umm...no.

Even without a tv service login? If so, my apologies.

Yes, you can watch for free on the CBS Sports app.
Whoop04
1. Get an HD antenna
2. Get an HD antenna
3. Get an HD antenna
4. Profit

Bregxit
AG
Whoop04 said:

1. Get an HD antenna
2. Get an HD antenna
3. Get an HD antenna
4. Profit

That's a lazy answer. I'm in The Woodlands on the north side of Houston. The antennae are SW of Houston in Missouri City. I would have to put a 35' mast on top of my two story house to hope to receive the signals.

Not everyone can just "get an HD antenna" and start receiving local channels.
gougler08
AG
dlance said:

Whoop04 said:

1. Get an HD antenna
2. Get an HD antenna
3. Get an HD antenna
4. Profit

That's a lazy answer. I'm in The Woodlands on the north side of Houston. The antennae are SW of Houston in Missouri City. I would have to put a 35' mast on top of my two story house to hope to receive the signals.

They make them with at least 50 miles of reception (if not more) so you may be able to make it work. You could get college station channels as well
Whoop04
Chill bro

Bregxit
AG
gougler08 said:

dlance said:

Whoop04 said:

1. Get an HD antenna
2. Get an HD antenna
3. Get an HD antenna
4. Profit

They make them with at least 50 miles of reception (if not more) so you may be able to make it work. You could get college station channels as well

No magical antenna is going to overcome line of sight issues.
Snoopy03
AG
I used to live in the woodlands (near branch crossing and woodlands pkwy) and was able to receive all of the houston locals ota without any problems. Antenna in the attic sitting on cardboard boxes aimed at houston (standard uhf/vhf bought at radioshack).

I can pick up most of the locals from lake conroe with attic antenna and radiant barrier. cbs is a problem station for me though because my antenna is built for fringe uhf not hi band vhf.

crowman2010
AG
Everyone that has DirecTV Now that lives in the GHA should go to Root Sports website and enter in that we want DTV-NOW to bring on the channel. That's the only thing holding me up from cutting the cord completely.

Root Sports
gougler08
AG
crowman2010 said:

Everyone that has DirecTV Now that lives in the GHA should go to Root Sports website and enter in that we want DTV-NOW to bring on the channel. That's the only thing holding me up from cutting the cord completely.

Root Sports
Nice find...it's really the only thing I miss
Al Bula
AG
crowman2010 said:

Root Sports
Same thing. Since Root is owned by AT&T, the hold up has to be the Rockets and Astros right?
Bregxit
AG
RPM said:

crowman2010 said:

Root Sports
Same thing. Since Root is owned by AT&T, the hold up has to be the Rockets and Astros right?
If it were the Rockets and Astros holding it up it would seem silly for Root to have your solicitation email sent to DTVNow.

I think DTVNow and Root are run as subsidiaries of AT&T and probably have some semblance of corporate separateness.
Pman17
AG
I got an email from AT&T.

DirecTV Now added to Roku today!

Streaming has been improved in speed and quality.

They've added new on demand titles.

When watching a show you can go back to the beginning in case you missed the first part of it.

To compensate for DVR, you can go back 72 hours on any channel.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
I don't think it's any channel yet? Only a select few no?
txag2k
AG
GT_Aggie2015 said:

I don't think it's any channel yet? Only a select few no?

That's correct but it's a growing list.
agdaddy04
AG
Come on Root Sports. Tired of watching the Stros only when they play the Rangers
gougler08
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Come on Root Sports. Tired of watching the Stros only when they play the Rangers

x100000
Bregxit
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Do you have an Apple TV?
agdaddy04
AG
Yes, why?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.