*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

155,606 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So after 2 weeks of (sometimes) brutal beta testing, I am moments away from submitting this app into the iPhone app store. This couldn't have happened without some extremely helpful Texags beta testers who volunteered their own time to make this app what it is. They were able to find bugs that I've never seen before, saw the AI make boneheaded plays it wasn't meant to make (or allowed to...YIKES!), and offered valuable suggestion on play mechanics.

I wanted to hard code a link in the app for users to follow so that they could bounce ideas around in the open. See a play you hated? Post it here. Want a feature added? Post it here.

I've already gotten some good input from the beta testers and from the previous thread, so I'll go ahead and list them here. These WILL eventually be incorporated into future releases. First and for most will be an iPad release to be submitted later this week.

Mechanics
1: Add nello. Allow either on forced or unforced bidding depending on custom settings. (Added in v1.1)
2: Add Splash, Plunge, and Sevens gameplay
3: Add multiplayer (in works. Maybe in a month. updated 1/23/2013)
4: Keep track of players win percentages with a scoreboard in the game center
5: Add achievements (agfan2013s idea)
6: Possible online tournament play
7: Domino tile customization
8: Play for points vs marks.
9. Add help button and option to play with dominoes face up. (Face up play added in 1.1 Help button to come later)
10. Allow user to re-arrange tiles
11. Add lay down capability
12. Add mute button. (Added in 1.0.2)
13. Add "Next Hand" button after completing hand to give users long enough to figure out what happened. (added in v1.1)
14. Doubles a suit of their own
15. When 6-6 is pulled during draw, go ahead and end it immediately.

Strategy:
1: Hold on to 5:5 to win the trick instead of playing for count
2: AI bids 34 on weak hands. (tweaked in v1.0.1)
3: Partner appears to resist accepting punts (heavily tweaked in v1.0.1)
4: Unclear if this is spurious or not, but your partner occasionally (some say frequently) trumps in on a winning hand. (tweaked in 1.0.2. Partner will refrain from trumping in with count when partner wins the bid and is currently winning the trick, or likely to)
5. AI needs to determine if its trump could ever be the highest and should be willing to play count if need be. (Fixed in 1.1.2)
6. AI needs to recognize how unimportant count is for marked bids (fixed in 1.1.2)

iPhone link
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/texas-42/id537029259?mt=8

iPad link
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/texas-42-hd/id543049466?mt=8

Android Link
http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maroonentertainment.Texas42

Moon link
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shoot-the-moon/id721423883?mt=8

[This message has been edited by Philip j fry (edited 8/11/2014 5:54p).]
agfan2013
AG
1st
Crown
AG
Look forward to purchasing!
2006EE
Philip J Fry
AG
Officially submitted.
kbassil
AG
whoop! G'luck philip. keep us posted!

[This message has been edited by kbassil (edited 6/17/2012 1:05p).]
Rex Racer
AG
Sweet. Looking forward to buying this!
Bregxit
bearamedic99
AG
Droid?
Philip J Fry
AG
After I finish the iPad and after I catch my second wind a bit. Been going at it for months non-stop now.
andrewe
2006EE
AG
Will the iPad be with the iPhone app in the future or will it be 2 separate apps?

Let me know when you need it tested. I will beta it too.
Philip J Fry
AG
Probably two separate apps. The iPad gives me a little more real estate to work with and there are some things I'd like to do differently with it...but for now, they will pretty much be carbon copies.
Czechs Out 03
AG
Can't wait!
eeaggie11
AG
Been hoping someone would make a better 42 app.
kinto
You should be immediately inducted in the TexAgs Hall of Fame!!!!

I'll buy it on the first day!
Kampfers
AG
Great work. Now make it for windows phone

In all seriousness, that's pretty damn cool.
Philip J Fry
AG
Can't you just play win42 on the windows phone or something? Holy Jesus, I hadn't even considered that platform!
Lance Uppercut
AG
I'll be buying. Good work.
TMoney2007
AG
Can't wait for Android and multi player.
Dr. Horrible
From a beta tester, this game is awesome. And I don't sweat any AI mistakes too much, I just chalk it up to my partner (or opponent) being drunk. Doing that makes it pretty realistic too!
Dr. Horrible
quote:
5: Add achievements (agfan2013s idea)
I just had a lay down 2 mark hand... There's an achievement to add to your list! (6/6, 6/5, 6/4, 6/2, 0/0, 5/5, 5/4)
khkman22
AG
Any news on how soon it will be approved? After it is approved, do the updates have to be approved as well? Will you basically have v1.01 ready by the time it is approved and available for update within a day or two?
fig96
AG
quote:
From a beta tester, this game is awesome. And I don't sweat any AI mistakes too much, I just chalk it up to my partner (or opponent) being drunk. Doing that makes it pretty realistic too!

Seconded, there's occasional bad plays but as a whole it's remarkably consistent and is a very playable 42 game.
Philip J Fry
AG
Should only get better with each release. I've been thinking hard about how to implement some of the strategies you guys have suggested.

This "Waiting for Review" message has been brutal to watch so far. I think the WWDC has slowed things down a bit. I'm hoping for some movement over the next couple days.

Oh, and I'm 75% done with the iPad version. I'm thinking it will be ready to ship to the store this weekend.
agfan2013
AG
Still playing the s*** out of the beta.....

Here are some high points(sorry in advance cause I know these iPhone screenshots will be huge)

Lay down hand

Successful skunk of my two opponents

As more testimonial from a beta tester I've played probably 2 games a day or more of the latest version and only seen two plays that I disagreed with. Looking forward to this baby finally getting released!

[This message has been edited by Agfan2013 (edited 6/27/2012 6:17p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Any news on how soon it will be approved? After it is approved, do the updates have to be approved as well? Will you basically have v1.01 ready by the time it is approved and available for update within a day or two?

Sorry. Didn't see this post before. Yes, v1.0.1 is already ready to go and will technically be the iPad's v1.0. That is of course if apple doesn't find an issue and accepts it as is. From what I gather, it usually takes 7-10 days just for then to review it. We are coming up to day 10 tomorrow. Updates are also treated the same as new submittals.

[This message has been edited by Philip j fry (edited 6/27/2012 11:37p).]
Quad Dog
AG
Not to sound demanding, but what about playing for points instead of marks as a future upgrade. I like the idea of being able to control playing sevens, or a forced bid, etc. I hate sevens, love a forced bid, but hate a forced nelo.
Philip J Fry
AG
Another beta tester suggested this at one point. I've personally never played this way so I'm a little leary about the quality of AI I could produce...but that's why I have you guys.
Quad Dog
AG
I love playing for points because every trick matters. You bid 30, and your opponents can still win 12. Every hand means more, every trick means more, and there can be some great strategy at the end of a hand trying to bring in that last five-count or point or two when someone already made their bid.

[This message has been edited by Quad Dog (edited 6/28/2012 10:02a).]
Philip J Fry
AG
App in now officially "In Review"!!!

The tension is really killing me now.
stark_ag
AG
I've been checking this thread daily. Can't wait to play.
Philip J Fry
AG
So it is either a few hours away from being available or another 5-10 days from being available.

I don't envy anyone who does this for a living!
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Dear Philip J Fry,
The following app has been approved. The status has changed to Ready for Sale.

If your contracts are not in effect at this time, your app status will be Pending Contract. You may track the progress of your contracts in the Contracts, Tax, and Banking module in iTunes Connect.

Note that it may take up to 24 hours before your app is live on the App Store. This delay is dependent upon any app availability issues

WHOOOOOOOOOP!

I should note, there is a KNOWN bug that will be fixed with v1.0.1 (which I'll be submitting very shortly). If you click the menu button while the bid picker or the trump picker is active, the picker will lose focus and you will have to start a new game. I submitted the app for review several days before the beta testers found it. Instead completely starting the process over, I figured I'd just wait to see if Apple ran across it. Apparently they did not.

App name: Texas 42
Developer Name: maroonentertainment

kbassil
AG
WHOOP! Congrats man! Now just sit back and watch that bank account explode. ;-)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.