********** Dallas Cowboys 2021 Draft Thread ***********

108,420 Views | 1573 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jr15aggie
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dude just walked into the gas station saying Dak is going to LA in a four team trade that will bring Wilson to Dallas
MookieBlaylock
AG
La just got a QB better than Dak
Gas station man is on it
PooDoo
AG
MooreTrucker
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Who is Mehlinger?

Sam Ehlinger, who's meh. Mehlinger.
Vince Blake
I figured we would have heard something on a Dak contract by now, but this is an interesting take and likely smart move by Dak's people:
Danny Phantom
Danny Phantom
TyHolden
AG
Danny Phantom said:

well, i hope he plays next season now...
Panama Red
AG
Where are the posters that said Dak was dumb to not take $100mm guaranteed?
Danny Phantom
Doubt we give him that contract without confidence he'll be back. Our team doctors have been working with him so that makes me feel comfortable.
TyHolden
AG
Panama Red said:

Where are the posters that said Dak was dumb to not take $100mm guaranteed?
they don't know jerry very well....
Danny Phantom
PooDoo
AG
CBS reports contract has a no tag no trade clause?
MooreTrucker
AG
ESPN types were talking about this at lunch. Said a $40 million price tag brings $40 million expectations.

Hopefully we'll get healthy Dak with a correct offseason, etc. so we can really see what we have with him under the current system.
PooDoo
AG
Ouch
https://instagr.am/p/CMJAo9WFbdX
gigem1223
Danny Phantom said:

So how much cap room does that leave us for the season? From what I've read is it'll save 12.2M?
alvtimes
gigem1223 said:

Danny Phantom said:

So how much cap room does that leave us for the season? From what I've read is it'll save 12.2M?

over the cap has Cowboys as over
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Finally did it. A+ although I'm not entirely sure how:
jr15aggie
AG
It's like what William Wallace said... "we have to try, you know what happens if we don't... nuthin!"

Cowboys were going absolutely nowhere without Dak. I, for one, am glad the Cowboys are at least giving it a shot.
PooDoo
AG
jr15aggie said:

It's like what William Wallace said... "we have to try, you know what happens if we don't... nuthin!"

Cowboys were going absolutely nowhere without Dak. I, for one, am glad the Cowboys are at least giving it a shot.

Or...
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Danny Phantom
I was under the impression that we would be +24M with last years cap rolling over but it looks like OTC already accounted for it so we're in the negative now as alv posted. Not to worry, we can create a good chunk of cap by turning Cooper's & lawerence's cap hit into signing bonus. That should create enough money to be able to sign a few free agents. This is also a dream bargain-shopping free agency with the cap being reduced to 185M. I'm sure this will have Stephen Jones swooning.
Ag Natural
AG
Every draft mock I've seen has the Boys taking a CB at 10. I understand but I really just don't like drafting another CB high. This team needs impact DL so much.
gigem1223
Ag Natural said:

Every draft mock I've seen has the Boys taking a CB at 10. I understand but I really just don't like drafting another CB high. This team needs impact DL so much.

I agree. Problem is there isn't that type or prospect in this years draft. I would be happy locking down the CB spot with Surtain/ Farley or Horn. I don't see much of a difference in the 3, so I'm in the camp of trading down if the right suitor is there and taking Barmore or one of the 3 CBs mentioned above later in the first.
Danny Phantom
I just want a run stuffing DT that won't get bullied. We should be able to get that in the middle rounds or free agency.
TyHolden
AG
jr15aggie said:

watched that and Gladiator twice this week...2 best movies ever made
gigem1223
MaximusDMeridius said:

jr15aggie said:

watched that and Gladiator twice this week...2 best movies ever made

Username checks out
Panama Red
AG
so in summary, Dak turned down about $100mm guaranteed, and ends ups with about $150mm guaranteed counting his 2020 salary. Love seeing someone bet on themselves and win
jr15aggie
AG
Dak's team defintely won the 2 year negotiations.

But.... Dak was "this" close to an Alex Smith type injury and a lifetime of regret that would effect generations of Prescotts.

Happy it worked out for him though. Hope the Cowboys can build a team around him.
98Ag99Grad
AG
how soon can they cut Elliott and not be in cap hell?
Macarthur
98Ag99Grad said:

how soon can they cut Elliott and not be in cap hell?
I think after this year, they can cut Zeke and spread his hit over two years and it's very manageable

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/financial-ramifications-if-cowboys-release-ezekiel-elliott-run-gamut/
Macarthur
I think there's a decent chance Zeke has played his last game for the cowboys
TyHolden
AG
Stop wasting cap on rbs and lbs. and d-law should have been told to pound sand. Dak's attitude saved his ass. If he had law or zeke's attitude, he probably doesn't get that contract.
jr15aggie
AG
They will save money if they cut Zeke after this year... cap savings of 5-6 million I think vs. keeping him on the team. Unless he has a monster year this is probably it for him in Dallas.

And to be fair to Jerry & Stephen, this was known when they inked the deal in the first place. It was really a 3 year deal with 50 guaranteed... nobody really expected Zeke to play out the full contract when it was signed.
Macarthur
Agree on LBer and RB, but I think DLaw get unfairly criticized. Too many folks look only at sacks.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2021/1/5/22213984/pro-football-focus-thought-highly-demarcus-lawrence-in-2020-tyler-biadasz-also-gets-some-recognition
jr15aggie
AG
Agree on Lawrence.

Last year was not great and he needed more sacks considering his pay. But the guy is a legitimate NFL stud and he played hurt all year. I'll give it a pass because the idiotic covid rules (no training camp, etc) got a lot of guys hurt last year.

IMO Dak, Cooper, & Lawrence earned their paychecks. You can argue leadership ability and other intangibles, but just in terms of talent they are all top guys at their positions. We need to see it on a weekly basis next year if we have any chance.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.