********** Dallas Cowboys 2021 Draft Thread ***********

108,492 Views | 1573 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jr15aggie
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like McGrone for sure. I also like Surratt from NC.

I don't see us getting Parsons or Zaven Collins... too rich for 10 and no way they last until 44. So I think the 3rd/4th round will be a good landing spot for a LB pick. To me it feels like DB & Dline are the primary focus in the 1st & 2nd.
Macarthur
Really like all three of those LBers for middle round guys!
jr15aggie
AG
Just saw a mock where Atlanta took Surtain at 4. Yikes, but not impossible. Their defense was terrible and in serious need of talent.

I just hope the teams above us do the right thing and get Fields and Lance off the board. If those guys drop and somebody in our division moves up to snag them... let's just say I think those guys are gonna be good NFL QBs and I much prefer our division rivals to remain in QB purgatory!!!
cman1494
AG
I really believe the team will be fielding potential trade offers all week that will be based on if certain players fall. Everything will be negotiated in advance. So if Lance is there and NE really likes him, they have already negotiated a trade with us and could just pull the trigger on draft night.
Danny Phantom
I wonder if any team would take pick 44 + 2022 2nd rounder over pick 75 in a trade back into the 1st round. I would rather give next years 2nd rounder than this years 3rd.
jr15aggie
AG
Listening to the Cowboys draft show from yesterday.... Dane Brugler had a guy tweet him and say that at the Indianapolis Combine (which is basically just medical checks this year) Zaven Collins checked in at 270 lbs.

That dude's outgrowing the LB position quickly. He's gonna have to be an edge rusher or 3-4 OLB right?!? Considering how Quinn is more interested in spinning down safeties to play LB, I don't see him being a fit here.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
I really like Jabril Cox and Jamin Davis at 44 if either is there and but would rather take an edge rusher or DT at that spot and wait for guys like McGrone, Monty Rice or Chazz Surratt at the end of day two or beginning of day 3. JMO.
Danny Phantom

MookieBlaylock
AG
Why is Sherlock Holmes talking to the guy fron weird science about the draft?
AG
With Sean Lee now retiring, I think LB is definitely on the priority list now. Not that we could count on him being healthy anyway
jr15aggie
AG
In my eyes he was never in the plans for 2021 and LB was definitely going to be a part of this draft.

Assuming we don't trade down and go CB at #1, it gets tough starting in round 2 because there are some really solid LB and front 7 targets that we should be able to get at pick 44. But we have a seriously large/glaring hole at safety right now as well and it's a bigger need than LB at the moment.

This is why I hope Pitts and Sewell are gone (and they should be).... we need serious help on the defense and I don't want to see an offensive selection until at least the 4th round.
Grapesoda2525
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

With Sean Lee now retiring, I think LB is definitely on the priority list now. Not that we could count on him being healthy anyway
He was really good when he was healthy which was probably 20% of the time. It's a good thing for both lee and the cowboys that the guy is moving on. He was just deadweight on the roster / salary cap the last few years.
gigem1223
Ideal first 2 picks for me are:
1. Surtain/ Horn
2. Moehrig/ Bolton/ Collins ( yes on board with trading into back end of the first to get one)
jr15aggie
AG
gigem1223 said:

1. Surtain/ Horn
2. Moehrig/ Bolton/ Collins ( yes on board with trading into back end of the first to get one)

I'm with you on everything but Collins and trading back into the first. We need to keep all 4 top 100 picks because we need them all.

And as for Collins, I posted this a couple days ago, the dude was 270 at the Indy Combine / Med Checks. Pretty sure he bulked up to be more of a 3-4 edge type guy. I'm pretty sure that doesn't fit what Quinn wants/needs in a LBer.
gigem1223
jr15aggie said:

gigem1223 said:

1. Surtain/ Horn

I'm with you on everything but Collins and trading back into the first. We need to keep all 4 top 100 picks because we need them all.

And as for Collins, I posted this a couple days ago, the dude was 270 at the Indy Combine / Med Checks. Pretty sure he bulked up to be more of a 3-4 edge type guy. I'm pretty sure that doesn't fit what Quinn wants/needs in a LBer.

Let's hope Quinn doesn't pull a Rod Marinelli TJ Watt/ Taco type pick where the player doesn't fit the scheme crap. If the dude can play and is a difference maker take him. Measurables aren't everything.
Danny Phantom
Here's Stephen Jones quote today on 1053. Seems like we value the "LEO" position in Dan Quinn's scheme & Collins seems to fit that role. Idk about Collins personally, especially if he's 270 Lbs. Charles Snowden, & baron browning are a couple more guys that can man that role.
AG
Put me in the Jamin Davis camp over someone like Collins or Bolton. 6'3.5", 230, should play about 240 and runs sub 4.5. Not sure if he's there at 44 since his name is all over the risers from the respective pro days but he's the type of athlete the Cowboys defense desperately needs.

I also would mind taking someone like Jeremiah Owusu Koromoah if we trade back or he's there at 44(doubtful) But I've been a huge fan of those positionless guys that can ball. Would love to have a derwin James type on Quinn's defense.
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah I'm hearing the same thing.... people saying Jamin could be the first LB taken. Skyrocketing up the boards.
jr15aggie
AG
Imo if you aren't paying attention to S you should. Our current 'penciled in' FS is coming off a major injury and makes less than we payed Haha last year.

We need help all over the defense, but right now we don't have a legitimate outside CB starter opposite Diggs. Couple that with what I said above I'm thinking we go secondary with 1 and 2.
Danny Phantom
Fwiw here are the LB draft position over/under:

Parsons: 13.5
Davis: 26.5
JOK: 19.5
Collins: 25.5
Browning: 55.5
jr15aggie
AG
Probably stating the obvious, but the word is the Cowboys are narrowing their focus to the 2 CBs. Also clues us in on what they believe the teams in front of them are focusing in on.

People believe the coaches favor Horn and the scouts favor Surtain. At the end of the day it sounds like they would take either, which is good news, cause there is a chance one of them is gone by 10. I'd like to think with such a high pick we are taking a guy they feel is top 10 worthy as opposed to a left over guy.
Macarthur
jr15aggie said:

Probably stating the obvious, but the word is the Cowboys are narrowing their focus to the 2 CBs. Also clues us in on what they believe the teams in front of them are focusing in on.

People believe the coaches favor Horn and the scouts favor Surtain. At the end of the day it sounds like they would take either, which is good news, cause there is a chance one of them is gone by 10. I'd like to think with such a high pick we are taking a guy they feel is top 10 worthy as opposed to a left over guy.

I'm good with both. It seems to me that Horn has a bit higher ceiling but does have some bust potential compared to Surtain. Not much, but I do read that he is very handsy and will get flagged. Surtain seems like the safer pick and more of a tactician. I'm good w/ either one, but I think I would go with the safer pick in Surtain.
jr15aggie
AG
I think it's reasonable to argue for Horn... the guy is a dog on the field and we need some of that! But it's also hard to argue against Surtain.

Guy started at Bama as a freshman. Just walked into the locker room at 17/18 years old and took a starting spot from some other 4 or 5 star upper classman.

The other argument is the Cowboys get praise for landing Diggs in the 2nd... he was very solid as a rookie. Surtain was better than Diggs at Bama and will be better as a pro Day 1.

So yeah, what you said... Horn could become a shut down corner, but he could just as easily become a trash talking PI machine. Surtain may never be an All Pro CB, but he could walk into almost any NFL roster right now and take a starting spot.
AG
jr15aggie said:

Imo if you aren't paying attention to S you should. Our current 'penciled in' FS is coming off a major injury and makes less than we payed Haha last year.

We need help all over the defense, but right now we don't have a legitimate outside CB starter opposite Diggs. Couple that with what I said above I'm thinking we go secondary with 1 and 2.

McShay was on the Russillo podcast and said if the Cowboys stay at 10, and he's there, Surtain is the pick. But hedged a little saying he could see a couple teams earlier could go corner, like Detroit or Atlanta. Obviously take that for what it's worth.
AG
Personally, I would rather have Horn. We need a dog on D. But Surtain is probably the "safer" pick. I'm also not out on Farley if the Cowboys trade down a bit. I think his back issue will end up not be a lingering problem and he's the best athlete of the 4 by far
jr15aggie
AG
Another strong argument for the trade down scenario is that Dallas supposedly really likes Moehrig as well. If all three DBs are there at 10 and somebody (say NE) wants to move up for a QB, then trading down is a real possibility. We'd feel really good about still getting a guy we covet.

If the trade up is for a QB the Cowboys can hold them up for their 2nd rounder. Gotta pay the QB up-charge! In that scenario I would trade down and take whatever DB is left. Would love to have two early 2nd rounders in this draft while still getting one of our top DB prospects in the 1st.
jr15aggie
AG
Heard a funny scenario being discussed... what if Fields/Lance falls to 10 and the phone rings and it's Washington? The guys on the podcast said the conversation would be "We'll give you 10... in return we want your 1st, 2nd, and Chase Young".

When Washington pauses and says, "What!?" you hang up the phone! Screw those guys, I'm not letting them potentially get their franchise QB!
Danny Phantom
I think Dan Quinn will ask for Horn. Horn was coached by muschamp & he goes way back with Quinn. Add that to him being the best press corner in the draft, which he will do plenty of in this scheme. Maybe I'm just speaking it into existence, but I think that's who's going to be the pick. I hope a team jumps us for Surtain so we don't have to make that difficult decision. Either way, I'd be happy with both!
jr15aggie
AG
ESPN Headline: SF likes 5 QBs as fit at #3.

GTFO Nine-ers! LOL, cmon! Just say "we aren't going to tell you who we like!" and that's fine. You just gave away a $#!+ ton of draft capital to move to #3. You didn't do it with the attitude of "we like several guys". Bull Corn... you know who you are taking and you've known for 2 months now! Stop already, you fool no one!
AG
What if Surtain and Horn are both gone by 10? Not totally unreasonable although I think one of them all be there. Do they take Moerhig or is that a definite trade down scenario??
Danny Phantom
Just went and watched Zaven Collins and I'll say I'd be happy to trade up for him. I don't care if he weighed in at 270 this dude can flat out play. He reminds me of Anthony Barr from Minnesota but IMO he's better than him against the pass.
Macarthur
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

What if Surtain and Horn are both gone by 10? Not totally unreasonable although I think one of them all be there. Do they take Moerhig or is that a definite trade down scenario??

I think if both of those are gone, that means Pitts or one of the QBs has to be there. I think if it's the QBs, you gotta trade back.

If it's Pitts, I think you have to take him. I'm all about defense but he's just a difference maker and you just don't get those guys very often.
Macarthur
One other caveat to what I said....There may be one more option that might be there if both CBs are gone and that's the OT from Oregon. That would be a tough decision, also.
AG
Macarthur said:

One other caveat to what I said....There may be one more option that might be there if both CBs are gone and that's the OT from Oregon. That would be a tough decision, also.

I think the likelihood of it happening are slim, but if no trades happen especially, it's possible.

I tried my own mock to see how this plays out....top 3 picks are QBs(Lawrence, Wilson, Jones). Atlanta goes Pitts, Cinci goes Sewell, Miami goes WR, Detroit takes one CB (bc Dan Campbell wants a "tone setter") and Carolina takes the other(bc they don't need QB anymore), Denver can take Parsons, or Slater or a QB. Would make the draft that much more wild. Moreso bc everyone has been talking about 1 of the QBs possibly sliding out of the top 10, but what if two of them drop??
PooDoo
AG
Danny Phantom said:

Just went and watched Zaven Collins and I'll say I'd be happy to trade up for him. I don't care if he weighed in at 270 this dude can flat out play. He reminds me of Anthony Barr from Minnesota but IMO he's better than him against the pass.

His good tape looks like a future Hall of Famer... His bad must look pretty bad to have him graded below Parsons.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.