********** Dallas Cowboys 2021 Draft Thread ***********

108,454 Views | 1573 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jr15aggie
MooreTrucker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fatherof4 said:

If Mac Jones is there at #10, take him.
Nope. Defensive back or DL. We have a really good QB and a serviceable backup. Not need to spend for a top 10 pick at QB right now.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Isn't Dalton a free agent now?
TyHolden
AG
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

Isn't Dalton a free agent now?
jes
fatherof4
Dak is too expensive. Plus the terrible contract of D Lawarance and Elliott. Let Dak go and get Jones.
fatherof4
It will probably take around $40 million a year to keep Dak. Thats going to be about 22% of the salary cap.
Fairview20
AG
Jones is a very good college QB, but he also had the privilege of playing with an extreme talent advantage at OL and WR which he won't have in the NFL. Considering how Tua looked this season I'd be extremely hesitant to draft him that high.

Dak's contract will be expensive but the way NFL QB contracts are trending, almost all veteran QBs will have inflated contracts.
Southlake
No, Dak is awesome.

And imagine the Redskins picking him up.

Besides the Cowboys need mui defense.
TyHolden
AG
Heard a rumor we're trading Dak to Seattle for Russell Wilson and David Putney....
Old Tom Morris
I heard they were trading Dak for Russ Martin and David Portnoy
98Ag99Grad
AG
NFL network mock 1.0 has them taking Surtain at 10.
TyHolden
AG
Mocks might change a bit after what Rams and Detroit just did. Wow.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Rams going all in

Gotta like their gusto but that is a haul forbthe Lions
TyHolden
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Rams going all in

Gotta like their gusto but that is a haul forbthe Lions
They overpaid their QB and RB and then dumped them. We've already overpaid our RB. A little more nervous about the Dak deal...
jr15aggie
AG
What the hell is going on... Rams give away a kings ransom of draft picks just to be rid of Goff. Why not just cut the guy and keep your picks?

Between this and the Watson deal, this is my argument for keeping Dak. If the front office feels he's 100% committed to Dallas then you pay him and figure out how to build a team around him.
Danny Phantom
Rams saved 43M in guaranteed money trading him. Had they cut him they would of had to pay him that 43, instead Detroit will. It's the main reason why it cost them so much to get Stafford.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Never was sold on Goff. Stafford has an all pro arm and has been on sht teams forever except a few years. Let's see what he can do with an innovative coach and good D. Rams going all in and making a run. If it fails, maybe McVay is in Dallas in a few years.
jr15aggie
AG
Danny Phantom said:

Rams saved 43M in guaranteed money trading him.

Ah... right. I always find myself thinking in terms of cap space only. Easy to forget there is real world cash money at stake.

Sucks to be Philly and LA, felt forced to give their QBs top dollar after career years which neither has gotten anywhere close to repeating. You can argue that Dak may/may not be a top 5 QB, but the guy has been consistently very good since day 1. He's never had the stinker years that Goff and Wentz have both had more than once.
ApachePilot
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

I heard they were trading Dak for Russ Martin and David Portnoy

Source?
TyHolden
AG
jr15aggie said:

Danny Phantom said:

Rams saved 43M in guaranteed money trading him.

Ah... right. I always find myself thinking in terms of cap space only. Easy to forget there is real world cash money at stake.

Sucks to be Philly and LA, felt forced to give their QBs top dollar after career years which neither has gotten anywhere close to repeating. You can argue that Dak may/may not be a top 5 QB, but the guy has been consistently very good since day 1. He's never had the stinker years that Goff and Wentz have both had more than once.
agree about dak but forced to pay players due to winning some hardware...I'd actually love to be in that position sometime again.

Wentz has had several season ending injuries since then. Not sure what goff's deal is but my guess is that the Rams think Stafford could be their Brady (no idea why). Huge gamble but time will tell.
Southlake
Goff will always get a pass after what he did to tu.
PatAg
AG
fatherof4 said:

Dak is too expensive. Plus the terrible contract of D Lawarance and Elliott. Let Dak go and get Jones.
Are you Jones' dad? This is a horrible idea
fatherof4
Funny, but no. Its the contract to salary cap. Also, get rid of Elliott, Lawrence, J Smith. If the Cowboys believed Dak was the answer, tbey would have already signed him. I think Jones could be a great qb. Surround him with the right talent with the freed up cap space. Just my thought.
Macarthur
fatherof4 said:

Funny, but no. Its the contract to salary cap. Also, get rid of Elliott, Lawrence, J Smith. If the Cowboys believed Dak was the answer, tbey would have already signed him. I think Jones could be a great qb. Surround him with the right talent with the freed up cap space. Just my thought.

And based on the track record, why should we think they have a f'ing clue what they are doing. Amazing that folks want to let Dak walk. unbelievable.
PatAg
AG
Macarthur said:

fatherof4 said:

And based on the track record, why should we think they have a f'ing clue what they are doing. Amazing that folks want to let Dak walk. unbelievable.
Some people always wanted Romo gone too.

Dak is more than good enough to win a Super Bowl with, we need to fix the actual problems on this team. This isn't some fantasy world where we magically get a top 3 QB just because you want to upgrade from Dak.
fatherof4
Dak a top 3 qb? I respectfully disagree. I think he is good, but not great. He is closer to Cousins then Brady. Of course the Cowboys organization is not helping Dak. Its not Dak that signed the awful contracts with Elliott, Smith, and Lawrence.
Macarthur
fatherof4 said:

Dak a top 3 qb? I respectfully disagree. I think he is good, but not great. He is closer to Cousins then Brady. Of course the Cowboys organization is not helping Dak. Its not Dak that signed the awful contracts with Elliott, Smith, and Lawrence.

I don't think anyone is saying Dak is a top 3 but for you to make this move and guarantee yourself an upgrade, you would have to draft a guy that is pretty much top 5 in the league right off the bat.

Where do you rank Dak?
fatherof4
Id rank him a top 10 qb, but his contract is going to be top 3. Who knows how he will be after his injury? Also, I have very little confidence that the Cowboys can maximize Daks ability. If the Cowboys are going to keep him, then lock him up and get rid of those underperforming contracts. I dont think Dak is the guy but he certainly cant be the guy with the bad contracts around him.
Macarthur
But that's not how contracts work. He may be top 3 for a bit, but then he will get passed by guys that might or might not be better than him

I agree that they have other bad contracts but you don't compound your problem by not paying your QB what he deserves because you got exposed on a couple of other bad contracts.
Macarthur
Does everyone forget when folks were freaking out about the Cowboys paying Romo $17m a year? Then after a year or two, he was being paid less than guys that were not better than him. That's how pro sports contracts work....
Saint Pablo
fatherof4 said:

If Mac Jones is there at #10, take him.
Bro what
Danny Phantom
Jaelon Darden could be a possible 3rd/4th round target. I know WR isn't a huge need but we could use a speed WR like this to stretch the field. At worst, he could be our returner.

PatAg
AG
Macarthur said:

Does everyone forget when folks were freaking out about the Cowboys paying Romo $17m a year? Then after a year or two, he was being paid less than guys that were not better than him. That's how pro sports contracts work....
Yes, they are forgetting or are just not aware.
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
What do y'all think?
jr15aggie
AG
Nobody walks away from a top 5 - 10 QB unless that player is actively wanting out.

Not only has Dak said he wants to be here, Stephen and Jerry both have said the same. Regardless of our debates here there are 2 things I know... it's happening and it's going to be expensive!
Danny Phantom
I like it. I think Walker Little could end up being a steal in the 2nd & would provide us with a future LT once Smith retires. Only complaint would be that I don't think Roche makes it to 99 but I could be wrong.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.