********** Dallas Cowboys 2021 Draft Thread ***********

108,450 Views | 1573 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jr15aggie
awrollins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Danny Phantom said:

awrollins said:

Are the Cowboys planning on Dono starting?

Yeah, I think so. It seems like during our base defense he'll start alongside Neal & once we go to the nickel Neal will replace Jaylon/LVE instead of Dono. Neal will rotate more with the LBs in my opinion & will serve as Donos backup if something happens to him.

Ok that makes sense. Dono looked great in limited minutes last year!
Danny Phantom
4.39 for horn, per Matt Miller.
cman1494
AG
Horn might be the pick at 10...holy moly
jr15aggie
AG
Danny Phantom said:

4.39 for horn, per Matt Miller.

Danny Phantom
With the 10th pick in the 2021 NFL draft....
gigem1223
Sounds like Hooker is fixing to be official to the Cowboys

Edit** nvm nothing signed yet. Looks like he hasn't signed yet according to his Twitter.
Macarthur
gigem1223 said:

Sounds like Hooker is fixing to be official to the Cowboys

Edit** nvm nothing signed yet. Looks like he hasn't signed yet according to his Twitter.

Man, w/ Neal & Hooker at S and Diggs and Surtain or Horn at CB, that would be the best secondary Dallas has had in a long time.
Grapesoda2525
It's nice to see them finally focus on the secondary.

It only took them about......5 years to get to it.
gigem1223
Well I'm guessing they low balled both Hooker and Kazee since neither have agreed to terms from their visit today.
gigem1223
More bargain shopping. Jayron Kearse it is. Graded out very high with PFF (89) in 2019.
Danny Phantom
I think Kearse will play the same role as Neal since he's 6'4 220. This signing has nothing to do with Hooker & Kazee as they're both FS types. I'm reading that they are now in contract talks between both of them & it sounds like the first one to commit gets the spot.
Macarthur
gigem1223 said:

More bargain shopping. Jayron Kearse it is. Graded out very high with PFF (89) in 2019.
Quality special teams guy
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Danny Phantom said:

I think Kearse will play the same role as Neal since he's 6'4 220. This signing has nothing to do with Hooker & Kazee as they're both FS types. I'm reading that they are now in contract talks between both of them & it sounds like the first one to commit gets the spot.

Agreed. Seeing them bring in Neal and now Kearse makes me hopeful they'll be in draft position to take one of the hybrid:"position-less" types some of that's becoming crucial, especially as more offenses start using 12 personnel more. Guys like Nasirildeen, Sherwood, Deablo and a few others that are 6-3ish, 225lb, that can play in the box, blitz but also drop back into coverage.
jr15aggie
AG
Yep, what I've been hearing a few guys hint at is Quinns first task is to get more speed and athleticism in the field.

One way to do this, particularly in Nickle and Dime packages, is to remove a LB and replace with a box safety.

Still have a void at your traditional free safety spot.
Danny Phantom
Micah parsons just ran an unofficial 4.38
Macarthur
He's a freak
cman1494
AG
I would love to get someone with Parsons' talent and athleticism on our defense. I'm just worried DL and CB are bigger needs.
jr15aggie
AG
Good chance we won't have to worry about it cause Parsons will be gone. With the lack of top end D talent in this draft it won't surprise me if somebody trades to get ahead of Dallas. Everybody knows we are taking Defense at #10
Danny Phantom
Jarran Reed will soon be released from the Seahawks. Productive Pass rushing DT that might get a look from us.
Stats by year:
2018: 10.5 sacks
2019: 2 sacks (10 games)
2020: 6.5 sacks & then 2 more in the playoffs vs Rams.
Danny Phantom
TyHolden
AG
jr15aggie said:

Good chance we won't have to worry about it cause Parsons will be gone. With the lack of top end D talent in this draft it won't surprise me if somebody trades to get ahead of Dallas. Everybody knows we are taking Defense at #10
you keep forgetting the genius that Jerry is and that he will probably trade up to get Mond....<high fives Stephen>
Grapesoda2525
Has Chris Jones been picked up by anyone yet?

Any idea why it took the team so long to move on from him?
Trucker 96
Why on God's green earth would anyone pick him up?
jr15aggie
AG
Last year my thought was "Why are we excited to get both of Carolina's DTs... they obviously didn't want either one of them back!?!" Pretty sure Carolina had one of the worst run D's that year too.

Atlanta had the absolute worst pass D in terms of yards last year (Kazee played in only 4 games). Having the same thoughts now... Why exactly do we want both of their safeties?

Hope I'm wrong... some of the "experts" seem to like them. But I dunno. Feels like we will once again "feel good" about S going into the draft, ignore the position (AGAIN) with our top 100 picks.... and by Week 1 we realize we got a bunch of JAGs out there.
Macarthur
I think the signings so far point more and more to CB in the first which is no surprise.

I does get interesting after that. I would prob like DL or S. I would also love it if someone like Barmore slides a bit (Don't think will happen) and they use some of those picks to get back up and grab him.
Danny Phantom
To be fair we never got to see McCoy play. Personally, I think he would of been solid but it didn't work out. Poe, on the other hand, was absolute dog crap.

I think the biggest difference between both is their age. Poe was 30 & McCoy 32 compared to Neal 25 & Kazee 27. Also, Neals strong suit isn't stopping the pass. He's more than capable but there's a reason we're moving him to linebacker where he will probably be one of the better LBs against the pass. Kazee is the one who is good against the pass. He can line up in the slot & deep safety. If he can get back to his 2018-2019 form prior to his injury he'd be a major improvement over woods. With that said, FS is still a need for this team & if we can draft one of in the middle rounds that'd be great. The guy I want that plays similar to Kazee with a slot/safety skillset is Elijah Molden from Washington.
Grapesoda2525
I want to draft Surtain so bad, but Andy dalton and the coaching staff trying to win meaningless games last year will probably prevent that from happening.
Danny Phantom
Potential Gallup replacement Nico Collins testing really well at 6'4. Possible 3rd round pick.

jr15aggie
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

I want to draft Surtain so bad, but Andy dalton and the coaching staff trying to win meaningless games last year will probably prevent that from happening.
This is where I'm always torn with back-up QBs.

If your QB1 goes down for the year you want Gilbert as the only option... tank and get the best possible draft pick.

If your QB1 goes down for 3 weeks you want a guy like Dalton so you can stay in the playoff hunt.
Danny Phantom
98Ag99Grad
AG
damn. so they taking Fields or the guy from North Dakota?
jr15aggie
AG
Draft Related: Boom, shots fired! That certainly gives teams like Philly something to think about. 3 QBs gone in 3 picks... do they really want to roll with Hurts this year considering next years QBs are looking sorta terrible at the moment? Do they leverage future picks to move up and get the "4th best" QB in this draft? They should have lost more games!!!

It's only good news for Dallas though... Miami was a team that would have taken a non QB player high on Dallas's board. Every time a QB hungry team jumps into the top 10 that's just one more positional player not taken that could fall to us. Good stuff!

Dak Related: Would you rather have Dak for the next 4 years at 40 mil but with proven NFL production... or would you rather have Fields for cheap but at the cost of three #1 picks to get him? Give me Dak and my first rounders all day!!!
Danny Phantom
Could go either way but I think it'll be Trey Lance.

Now ATL at #4 is going to be interesting. Will they take the successor to Matt Ryan or shop the pick? I think New England, Washington & Carolina will come calling. If SF picks Fields then I bet NE trades up for Lance. I feel like he'd be a perfect fit there.
Danny Phantom
Wow lol

HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG

As TexAgs favorite would say, "Not so fast my friend". No way they don't take a QB right??

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.