********** Dallas Cowboys 2021 Draft Thread ***********

108,441 Views | 1573 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jr15aggie
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jr15aggie said:

Heard a funny scenario being discussed... what if Fields/Lance falls to 10 and the phone rings and it's Washington? The guys on the podcast said the conversation would be "We'll give you 10... in return we want your 1st, 2nd, and Chase Young".

When Washington pauses and says, "What!?" you hang up the phone! Screw those guys, I'm not letting them potentially get their franchise QB!

If Lance is there and Pitts is gone I'd gladly let the Skins trade up 2 spots for a nice QB tax.

Fields... not a chance.
Danny Phantom
I didn't see much on his tape that wasn't correctable with good coaching. He also showed skills, like rushing the passer, that he wasn't asked to do too much. He's got a similar background to LVE in that he was a small school QB & S who's only played the position 3-4 years. Also doesn't have any injury red flags that LVE had coming out.
Danny Phantom
Also, interesting tidbit I saw on Albert Breers mock draft regarding Barmore. He had him mocked at 31 to Baltimore & here's his comments:

"There are a lot of off-field questions with Barmore. And it's not like Sewell or Parsons, where it's a young guy who needs to mature a little; or like Phillips, where you've got a really good-hearted kid with some demons. There's been more digging for teams to do here. If the Ravens pass on him twice, given the franchise's connections in Tuscaloosa, the league will pay attention. If they take him? There's a good shot, in that environment, he could wind up being a very real steal."
jr15aggie
AG
PooDoo said:

jr15aggie said:

Heard a funny scenario being discussed... what if Fields/Lance falls to 10 and the phone rings and it's Washington? The guys on the podcast said the conversation would be "We'll give you 10... in return we want your 1st, 2nd, and Chase Young".

When Washington pauses and says, "What!?" you hang up the phone! Screw those guys, I'm not letting them potentially get their franchise QB!

If Lance is there and Pitts is gone I'd gladly let the Skins trade up 2 spots for a nice QB tax.

Fields... not a chance.

Washington picks at 19... you are thinking of Philly at 13. But screw those guys too!
jr15aggie
AG
I'll be real interested to see what happens if a QB not named Mac Jones falls to 10 and both Surtain & Horn are still on the board. People keep saying NE at 15 is a good trade down spot, but we gotta be prepared to lose both CBs in that scenario. I think Philly would jump at a chance for one of them and I wouldn't put it past the Cardinals (picking at 16) to jump ahead of Dallas to get the other.

I know the Cowboys love Moehrig as a back-up plan, I'm just not sure if I'm in love with the 2nd round CB options as a day 1 starter. I'm to the point where I just want to land one of the top 2 CBs first and then we can relax and let the draft come to us after that.
PooDoo
AG
I dont think Philly could pass up a WR if one drops but who knows... I'm just glad they didn't get Jefferson last year.
Macarthur
I had not heard that on Barmore. That's too bad because he's been one of my fav picks if we traded down a bit.
Danny Phantom
Me neither. This is the first I've heard of it so it could be just hearsay. Also, off field concerns is a broad statement & I'm sure our scouts will do their due diligence. Maybe he slips to 44?
jr15aggie
AG
I was under the impression it was known... there have always been questions about him because he was a dominant player, and yet he was never a starter. People always questioned why Saban never seemed to trust the guy. Saban wasn't stupid and turned the beast loose when needed, but there was always something going on there.
jr15aggie
AG
Just had my favorite mock simulator turnout. Traded down to 13 with San Diego (Surtain & Horn both on the board). They were extremely stubborn and the only way I could get their 2nd was to give them 75. So move down 3 spots in the 1st but move up ~ 30 spots on day 2. Ended up with:

Bama CB - Surtain (1st - Pick 13 - SD Trade)

TCU S - Moehrig (2nd - Pick 44) *tried to trade up in the 30's for him but couldn't get it done, fell into my lap anyway*

Wake Forest DE - Carlos Boogie Basham (2nd - Pick 47 - SD Trade)

BYU OT - Christensen (3rd - 99 - Comp pick)

Mich LB - Cameron McGrone (4th - Pick 115)

TAMU DT - Bobby Brown (4th - Pick 138) *was 'this' close to getting Dayo Odeyingbo here but couldn't get a trade done*

Still had 4 more picks but I had the sim stop at Round 4.

PooDoo
AG
I think I fixed the defense with my double trade down plus picking up a 2nd next year... Its super realistic.
jr15aggie
AG
ROFL... *It's Happening!!!*

The PFF is the best simulator in terms of player rankings, but it's broken. Jamin Davis falls into the 3rd round every time as well as a couple other guys (Johnson, Darden, etc. are always available). It's also bad in that you can't see the list of available players while the draft is ongoing.

I really like the Pro Football Network simulator the best, but their player rankings are off. Not much fun when you should be battling for a guy in the 2nd when you know their simulator will easily have him there in the 3rd round.
Macarthur
jr15aggie said:

Just had my favorite mock simulator turnout. Traded down to 13 with San Diego (Surtain & Horn both on the board). They were extremely stubborn and the only way I could get their 2nd was to give them 75. So move down 3 spots in the 1st but move up ~ 30 spots on day 2. Ended up with:

Bama CB - Surtain (1st - Pick 13 - SD Trade)

TCU S - Moehrig (2nd - Pick 44) *tried to trade up in the 30's for him but couldn't get it done, fell into my lap anyway*

Wake Forest DE - Carlos Boogie Basham (2nd - Pick 47 - SD Trade)

BYU OT - Christensen (3rd - 99 - Comp pick)

Mich LB - Cameron McGrone (4th - Pick 115)

TAMU DT - Bobby Brown (4th - Pick 138) *was 'this' close to getting Dayo Odeyingbo here but couldn't get a trade done*

Still had 4 more picks but I had the sim stop at Round 4.

That would be awesome, but as you said above, their rankings are way off...NO Way in hell Moehrig is there at 44.
Southlake
Macarthur said:

I had not heard that on Barmore. That's too bad because he's been one of my fav picks if we traded down a bit.

Barmore to Baltimore.

Ray Ray says hello...
jr15aggie
AG
Quote:

That would be awesome, but as you said above, their rankings are way off...NO Way in hell Moehrig is there at 44.

They actually had him rated correctly in the simulator, he just happened to fall which he never does in my other mocks. The stars aligned in that one!

And while I agree on Moehrig, the beautiful thing about that draft is it really only takes one S needy team to pass on Moehrig for the other teams to think "why didn't they take him, what do they know that we don't". Teams start second guessing and guys fall.
Macarthur
jr15aggie said:

Quote:

They actually had him rated correctly in the simulator, he just happened to fall which he never does in my other mocks. The stars aligned in that one!

And while I agree on Moehrig, the beautiful thing about that draft is it really only takes one S needy team to pass on Moehrig for the other teams to think "why didn't they take him, what do they know that we don't". Teams start second guessing and guys fall.

Fair point. I guess if Lamb can fall to 17, it's not out of the question for Moehrig to fall too.
cman1494
AG
Broncos just traded for Teddy B. Gotta figure now they're either going Parsons or one of the corners with pick 9. Outside shot at OT. They wouldn't go QB now. Carolina on the other hand might go QB now.

But, if CBs go 8 & 9, we will have to change course pretty quick.
Danny Phantom
I feel like if we want Bobby Brown we'll have to pick him at 75. He's one of those guys that nfl draft journalists have ranked lower than where he will go, IMO. 6'4 325 DTs who have his kind of power & athleticism will go earlier than expected, especially in a weak DT class. His best football is ahead of him & I bet nfl scouts see that.
jr15aggie
AG
Agreed on Bobby... this draft is lacking disruptive DTs and somebody will take a chance on him. He's a beast, he only lacks consistency.

With regards to Bridgewater... feels more likely that Carolina will take a QB now. They will give Darnold his chance next year and instead of Teddy as the back-up they will roll with a rookie in the wings. But will they get that QB at 8???

Either way, I don't think this move will keep either team from going QB if their guy falls. Both were and still are wild cards to possibly go Defense ahead of Dallas. Things are definitely heating on Draft Day Eve!
Danny Phantom
Ben Allbright, who is plugged into Broncos, called the Teddy trade a few weeks back. He has them drafting Rashawn Slater but has said they'll be listening to offers for #9. Also have seen that the Panthers love Horn and he might be their pick at 8.

I sure hope CB's don't go 8 & 9. The chances are slim but that would be a huge damper.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Southlake said:

Macarthur said:

Barmore to Baltimore.

Ray Ray says hello...

Podcast I was listening to mentioned coachability being an issue with him. Said many teams have been scared off, and if Baltimore passes on him at 27 and then 31 then he'll plummet. Would probably then see the DT from Washington be the first off the board
AG
Danny Phantom said:

Ben Allbright, who is plugged into Broncos, called the Teddy trade a few weeks back. He has them drafting Rashawn Slater but has said they'll be listening to offers for #9. Also have seen that the Panthers love Horn and he might be their pick at 8.

I sure hope CB's don't go 8 & 9. The chances are slim but that would be a huge damper.

I really don't want to say I saw it coming, but with all the **** I've been listening to, there has been a lot of chatter about both guys being possibilities inside 10 that there was a chance both are gone by the time Dallas selects. It's really been making me nervous. Of course, this late it the game, it could all be misinformation to get someone to drop or make moves they wouldn't have otherwise made.
Danny Phantom
Macarthur
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Danny Phantom said:

I really don't want to say I saw it coming, but with all the **** I've been listening to, there has been a lot of chatter about both guys being possibilities inside 10 that there was a chance both are gone by the time Dallas selects. It's really been making me nervous. Of course, this late it the game, it could all be misinformation to get someone to drop or make moves they wouldn't have otherwise made.

Again though, if both CBs are gone, simple math will tell you there will be someone there that should allow Dallas to trade back. Hard to imagine both CBs are gone and all QBs are gone, too.

While I do like Horn and Surtain, a trade back and grabbing Moehrig and Newsome or Samuel and then have another top 50 pick to grab the OT Carman or DL McNeil.

Macarthur
I've also seen some talk that Dallas would not get out of the 3rd without a LBer....

How about a trade back and get:

Moehrig
Newsome
Jabril Cox

I would like that a lot
Danny Phantom
I'll play the worst case scenario game. Trade back in the first & draft zaven Collins. Then with the two 2nd round picks draft Holland & Adebo. In the 3rd go Bobby brown & Dayo O. 4th go BPA OL & WR. Prosper & win multiple Super Bowls.
jr15aggie
AG
For Dallas, the draft has 2 big breaking/divergent points IMO. Atlanta at 4 will set a lot of things in motion depending on who they take.

Carolina at 8 is the other team... if they go offense or something other than CB I think we are good and we'll control our own destiny. But if they go CB, there is a really good chance the damn Eagles will deal with Denver and get ahead of Dallas for the other CB.

I hate this scenario, but we are not (as it's been suggested already) dead in the water. Trading down is now a real possibility and if both CBs are gone it's very likely one or two top QBs are on the board for bait. And we also can't lose sight of the fact that other players exist that are OK to take at 10. Slater wouldn't be a terrible pick, it's just not the need we want filled. Parsons maybe. We know they really like Moehrig and he'd be a plug and play starter day 1.

I love it... keep the talk going... anticipation for tomorrow is killing me!!!
AG
Macarthur said:

HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Danny Phantom said:

Again though, if both CBs are gone, simple math will tell you there will be someone there that should allow Dallas to trade back. Hard to imagine both CBs are gone and all QBs are gone, too.

While I do like Horn and Surtain, a trade back and grabbing Moehrig and Newsome or Samuel and then have another top 50 pick to grab the OT Carman or DL McNeil.

Everything I've read is Samuel projecting more as a slot guy, and not the type of CB Quinn usually wants. I think we would need to use 2 picks on DT this year. The talent seems slim this year so odds say 1 of the 2 would work out right? I like McNeil though. The tape I've seen on the UCLA DT looks good too. Levi O is a great prospect and I love his tape, but I think he'll require a specific situation that I don't think will be Dallas.
AG
Macarthur said:

I've also seen some talk that Dallas would not get out of the 3rd without a LBer....

How about a trade back and get:

Moehrig
Newsome
Jabril Cox

I would like that a lot

Would love Jabril Cox in the 3rd. Doubt he's there. But I think he's a stud and would be a day 1 starter on the weak side for Dallas.
Macarthur
Yeah, Samuel is really small. There's a ton of 2nd and 3rd round Big CBs that will be available...just wonder how much they like those guys.

Newsome
Stokes
Gowan
Melifonwu
jr15aggie
AG
When somebody asks me about Asante Samuel Jr:

He's exactly who Jordan Lewis was on draft day without the fake legal claims by an ex girlfriend.
AG
Macarthur said:

Yeah, Samuel is really small. There's a ton of 2nd and 3rd round Big CBs that will be available...just wonder how much they like those guys.

Newsome
Stokes
Gowan
Melifonwu

I'm high on Melifonwu. Kid is a sick athlete that tested off the charts. Can't remember the exacts, but I saw a tweet about CBs that tested over 6'1", over 195 and ran sub 4.5 with over 38in verticals, and over the last 8 years the list was like 6 guys: Byron Jones, Jeff Okudah and a couple other guys who are all starters on the league...., and Melifonwu.
Southlake
If we don't get Surtain or Horn, I'd say take Parsons. I know Sean is gone and LVE has been disappointing; a LB with a bad neck??? And Jaylon? We have no dependable disruptive LB. Parsons is the guy who can make a difference. If we take a CB, teams can throw away from him, but you can't avoid a stud MLB. And, we were just so bad against the run. Maybe just take Parsons no matter what.

FWIW, I went to the SC game and Horn reminded me of Aaron Glenn. He was aggressive and feisty and a good tackler. We pretty much avoided him.
jr15aggie
AG
Southlake said:

If we don't get Surtain or Horn, I'd say take Parsons. I know Sean is gone and LVE has been disappointing; a LB with a bad neck??? And Jaylon? We have no dependable disruptive LB. Parsons is the guy who can make a difference. If we take a CB, teams can throw away from him, but you can't avoid a stud MLB. And, we were just so bad against the run. Maybe just take Parsons no matter what.

FWIW, I went to the SC game and Horn reminded me of Aaron Glenn. He was aggressive and feisty and a good tackler. We pretty much avoided him.

Hey, I'm the guy that has been preaching our need at CB and S... but you aren't wrong. LB is a huge need as well (looking at our needs it's really no surprise our Defense was terrible last year).

Smith & LVE (fingers crossed) are starting , who else we got? A guy that use to play SS and a bunch of no names.

It's why I really really hope that all defensive players are available at 10... one of the QBs, OTs, or WRs falls and somebody in the top 15 is desperate enough to give us a 2nd rounder to come get him. We could really do some damage with a solid 1st round pick and two more picks in the 40's.
Danny Phantom
Also there's the possibility of trading back with New England & they send us Gilmore + 15 + a 3rd or 4th. That could be on the table if, lets say fields, slips to 10. It would put a bandaid on the corner position & would instantly upgrade our defense. Short sighted move but we'd probably pick the same guy we would at 10. All of this is assuming both Horn & Surtain are taken, though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.