********** Dallas Cowboys 2021 Draft Thread ***********

108,535 Views | 1573 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jr15aggie
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Boys pass Pitts and go Slater... Bucs get Etienne lol wow.

https://www.nfl.com/news/lance-zierlein-2021-nfl-mock-draft-3-0-eagles-land-jaylen-waddle-after-trading-d
jr15aggie
AG
Eesh... Surtain going #4 and the Cowboys going O-line at #10. Not how I would picture this draft going at all!!!

But... like I said with the hypothetical Pitts pick... I wouldn't hate it even though it doesn't immediately strike me as a good idea. Slater figures to be a helluva good O-line guy and our most successful season in recent memory was when we had a dominant O-line.

There is an argument to be made that we 100% need to fix the defense.... there is another argument that says if you can make your offense elite, then do it and let Quinn figure out how to complement that with an aggressive and efficient defense.
Macarthur
I don't think there is a CB in this draft that belongs in the top 5. There's 4 quality QBs that will go in the first 5 picks, IMO. CB will not be top 5.
Danny Phantom
TheCougarHunter said:

Pitts can't block. We spent 1st round picks on WR the past two years. Slater would be a better pick than pitts but the first 3 picks should be all defense.

Bad take. Pitts is a capable & willing blocker who doesn't get bullied. He's not an elite blocker, but he's no slouch.

Pitts is the best TE prospect in NFL history and that's why I'd be okay with picking him at 10. He's a generational type talent. I personally don't think he'll make it to us but then again I didn't think Lamb would fall to us either.
jr15aggie
AG
The best TE prospect in NFL history? I'm not arguing, I just hadn't heard that.

The Vernon Davis hype was pretty insane going into the draft.
Ag Natural
AG
That's been kinda my point on this whole Best Available vs. Draft for Need. I think you always need to look at both and in cases where you think a guy could be a future all pro you need to just take him.
"Always you have to contend with the stupidity of men." - Henry D. Thoreau
Danny Phantom
jr15aggie said:

The best TE prospect in NFL history? I'm not arguing, I just hadn't heard that.

The Vernon Davis hype was pretty insane going into the draft.
I think so. Vernon was stronger and slightly faster but not the type of receiver Pitts is. Davis blew up the combine and was the first tight end to really be an athletic freak, which moved him up everyones draft board. If i'm not mistaken, he wasn't projected to go that high prior to the combine. Davis was 6'3 & ran a 4.39 but I bet Pitts runs a low 4.4 and will probably jump above average at 6'6. It'll be interesting to see how Pitts tests at his pro day.
jr15aggie
AG
Yep! It's all about how the Cowboys feel about these guys.

If recent history tells us anything, when the Cowboys are picking early they try to ignore need and really look for that special player. If there is a special player also at a position of need then they will take him.

So the question is... do they think Surtain or Horn are special? If they don't, then how do they really feel about Pitts? Parsons? One of the O-line guys?

What will be really interesting is if they only have 1 or 2 non QB/WR guys on their board that they consider a special talent. Will they move up to secure that guy? Some of us think they are crazy for taking Pitts at #10. What if they trade up and take him? It may not seem likely, but we don't know their draft board either. They did it a few years ago with Mo. Unfortunately for us, they were wrong about Mo... in their defense, every scout and mock draft guy was also wrong about Mo!
Danny Phantom
How I rank the guys I'd take at 10:

Pitts
Waddle
Sewell
Horn
Surtain
Chase
Slater
Parsons
Smith
Farley

I'd be okay with reaching for a CB over Sewell due to the depth of OL in this draft & also Tyron/Lael being back. If we pass on waddle, be prepared to get torched by him twice a year.

How would y'all rank these 10?
PooDoo
AG
I'd be all for passing on a DB at 10 and trying to jump back up to the bottom of the 1st or up a little in the 2nd for the CB from UK that raps.
TyHolden
AG
Fields ran four-four-four forty today....People keep comparing the King to him. King ran a fo-fo-fo the other day as well.
MookieBlaylock
AG
MaximusDMeridius said:

Fields ran four-four-four forty today....People keep comparing the King to him. King ran a fo-fo-fo the other day as well.

Do you speak Jive?
Vince Blake
Didn't see this discussed...I'm going to guess they were there to look at some of our O-Linemen as well.
jr15aggie
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

MaximusDMeridius said:

Do you speak Jive?
jr15aggie
AG
FYI regarding Ohio State pro days... it's a known fact that their track is on a bit of a slope and they always run downhill when testing. Their times are notoriously around .5-.7 seconds faster on their home turf. So in reality, Fields is really a 4.5 guy, which is still pretty quick.

Regarding the post above about Mond... ugh... don't do it Jerry! The guy has not progressed since his Soph year, and that's with a QB developing coach in his ear for 3 years! We will be wasting our time for 3 years hoping to develop him... do not want even with a late pick!!!!
TyHolden
AG
Vince Blake said:

Didn't see this discussed...I'm going to guess they were there to look at some of our O-Linemen as well.

jerry taking mond at 10. Done deal. Dak better be ready.
PooDoo
AG
Wow

PatAg
AG
This is where the NFL loses the plot every year. I don't give a **** what his measurables are at his combine.
We saw him play all year, draft the dude if he still there when your team picks an you get an all-pro Tight End.
PooDoo
AG
I think the measurables help verify what you see on film and help compare what you see against different levels of competition.
jr15aggie
AG
Dang... Pitts is such a tempting prospect!!!

So there are 9 picks before Dallas. Reports are that SF went up to get Mac Jones... if that's true, there is a really strong possibility that 5 QBs go top 10.

In that scenario that only leaves 4 non QB picks ahead of us. Most people have 5-6 offensive prospects in that top tier group: 2 OTs, 2-3 WRs, 1 TE.

I feel pretty confident at least 1 of those WRs is getting picked ahead of us. So just by process of elimination our options at #10 will be an OT, Pitts, or all defenders are still on the board. One of those 3 options will be there at #10 (I excluded the WR option for obvious reasons).
Macarthur
Yeah, it looks to me like they are going to have a hard decision regarding offense because it looks almost certain that one of Sewell or Pitts will be there...most likely Sewell.
Danny Phantom
My guess is 4 QBs, Sewell, chase, waddle & Pitts get picked ahead of us & the 9th guy is down to a CB, Slater & mac Jones. I could see Atlanta trade back out of the top 10 & then Carolina reach for Mac Jones at 8.
98Ag99Grad
AG
gotta think Cincy takes him ahead of Dallas.
jr15aggie
AG
I think my biggest issue with taking Pitts (or Sewell) at 10 is we are going to be really disappointed with our defensive options come the 2nd/3rd round. I feel like in the late 1st / early 2nd there is going to be a big run on defenders.

It puts us into a bad spot where we are reaching for need with our 2nd & 3rd round picks and I don't think we'll like the end results. Or worse, we are forced to sacrifice current/future picks to move up because we'll be so desperate for that defensive help we need. Either way, we'll be handcuffed for the rest of the draft.

The path of least resistance for our entire draft is getting a plug and play defensive starter at #10 (or later if we trade back a little).
TyHolden
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

gotta think Cincy takes him ahead of Dallas.
cincy is taking one of the OTs. Some mocks have Northwestern guy ahead of Sewell
PooDoo
AG
Didn't Cincy let AJ Green go? Wouldn't Chase be a good fit there?
Danny Phantom
I could see Cincy picking a playmaker & then drafting an OL at 38. Chase + Higgins + Boyd is a hell of a 1-2-3.
Macarthur
jr15aggie said:

I think my biggest issue with taking Pitts (or Sewell) at 10 is we are going to be really disappointed with our defensive options come the 2nd/3rd round. I feel like in the late 1st / early 2nd there is going to be a big run on defenders.

It puts us into a bad spot where we are reaching for need with our 2nd & 3rd round picks and I don't think we'll like the end results. Or worse, we are forced to sacrifice current/future picks to move up because we'll be so desperate for that defensive help we need. Either way, we'll be handcuffed for the rest of the draft.

The path of least resistance for our entire draft is getting a plug and play defensive starter at #10 (or later if we trade back a little).

I tend to agree. That's why I would be very much in favor of trading back a bit. I think we can get a plug in guy in the late teens or so...one of the CBs will be there. Barmore may be there, etc.
PooDoo
AG
In this draft, there are some playmakers in the secondary but oddly enough most are predicted to go after the 1st round.
Ag Natural
AG
I'd be thrilled with Bobby Brown at 44.
"Always you have to contend with the stupidity of men." - Henry D. Thoreau
PooDoo
AG
With the 10th pick the 2nd round? Oh, I'd be pissed.
mbl12
AG
I would love to trade back to late teens or early twenties and draft one of surtain, horn, or barmore. Feel like one of those will slip through
TyHolden
AG
mbl12 said:

I would love to trade back to late teens or early twenties and draft one of surtain, horn, or barmore. Feel like one of those will slip through
I think 15 is as far back as we wanna go unless somebody offers something incredible (like respectable offer + future picks).
jr15aggie
AG
MaximusDMeridius said:

mbl12 said:

I think 15 is as far back as we wanna go unless somebody offers something incredible (like respectable offer + future picks).

Was just thinking the exact same thing. You leave the top 15 and you are playing with fire... decent chance all your top rated defensive players are gone.

The real problem is I have no idea who the Cowboys value. Who are their top 5 defensive prospects? And if you look at mock drafts, those guys don't have a clue either. I've never seen so much parity between mock drafts. Their defenders, in particular, are all over the place... top 10 in one mock and in another the same guy is mid 20's.

The problem is these teams & scouts are out of their comfort zone with the way the season was played, opt outs, lack of combine, etc. The more I think about it, the more I feel like the Cowboys won't do anything fancy with pick 10... if all the defenders are still on the board I think they will stay put and take their guy. At a guess, that would be Patrick Surtain. He's about the closest thing we'll get in this draft to a sure bet and it's a huge need for our team. At the very least he should be a plug and play starter and have a solid career.
Danny Phantom
I'd be tempted to go back to 13 with the chargers if both Horn & Surtain are available. This would only happen if LA wants to jump the giants for either Sewell or Slater to protect Herbert.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.