********** Dallas Cowboys 2021 Draft Thread ***********

107,826 Views | 1573 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jr15aggie
jteagle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jr15aggie said:

Watching the 92 NFC championship game via YouTube. A couple of things I noticed... one, the 90s were wild! Those commercials, what a trip. Two, I was blown away that Darell Johnston was only in his 4th year in that game. In my memory he was a grizzly vet during those years... but not such, he was a young guy in his prime.

Honorable mention is John Madden and his "boom" comments. Him and Summeral, what a team.

PS: Irvin was just a beast. Ball in the air... ball was his. Such tough/contested catches.
Those teams were awesome, but the coaching staff that Jimmy Johnson put together had to be one of the best ever assembled especially on the defensive side of the ball. .
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
jr15aggie said:

Watching the 92 NFC championship game via YouTube. A couple of things I noticed... one, the 90s were wild! Those commercials, what a trip. Two, I was blown away that Darell Johnston was only in his 4th year in that game. In my memory he was a grizzly vet during those years... but not such, he was a young guy in his prime.

Honorable mention is John Madden and his "boom" comments. Him and Summeral, what a team.

PS: Irvin was just a beast. Ball in the air... ball was his. Such tough/contested catches.

absolutely spoiled. watching those teams as a little kid i just thought this is how things work, my team wins the super bowl almost every year. young ruddyduck had no clue what was to come.
Grapesoda2525
jteagle said:

jr15aggie said:

Those teams were awesome, but the coaching staff that Jimmy Johnson put together had to be one of the best ever assembled especially on the defensive side of the ball. .
Who was on that staff?
jr15aggie
AG
I didn't finish the whole game (fell asleep)... but one thing was also apparent. Those two teams were very good! The game has definitely changed since then, but the talent level has not and both teams were LOADED!

Forgot just how strong Aikman's arm was! Guy would throw to the far sideline on a 15 yard route... ball probably traveled 35-40 yards in the air and it was a frozen rope and took no time to get there. And his accuracy hitting guys in the numbers. Damn!

Steve Young was equally impressive. The Cowboys relentless pass rush eventually overwhelmed him, but not before he made some spectacular plays threading the needle.

That '92 team is definitely one of the greatest of all time... they peaked at the right time and went on to play one the most dominant super bowl performances of all time.
Ag Natural
AG
jr15aggie said:

I didn't finish the whole game (fell asleep)... but one thing was also apparent. Those two teams were very good! The game has definitely changed since then, but the talent level has not and both teams were LOADED!

Forgot just how strong Aikman's arm was! Guy would throw to the far sideline on a 15 yard route... ball probably traveled 35-40 yards in the air and it was a frozen rope and took no time to get there. And his accuracy hitting guys in the numbers. Damn!

Steve Young was equally impressive. The Cowboys relentless pass rush eventually overwhelmed him, but not before he made some spectacular plays threading the needle.

That '92 team is definitely one of the greatest of all time... they peaked at the right time and went on to play one the most dominant super bowl performances of all time.
Salary cap was implemented in '94. Those last few years prior had some super teams that just aren't possible to build today.
Goldie Wilson
Ag Natural said:

jr15aggie said:

Salary cap was implemented in '94. Those last few years prior had some super teams that just aren't possible to build today.
Were there any big free agents on that '92 team aside from Haley?
jr15aggie
AG
Quote:

Only other guy I can think of is Thomas Everett. Guy was a crucial piece of that #1 Cowboys defense in 92. We snagged him from Pittsburgh.
Ag Natural
AG
Goldie Wilson said:

Ag Natural said:

jr15aggie said:

I don't think free agency really existed yet. Those Cowboy and Niner teams were loaded with mostly homegrown talent. As soon as free agency and the cap was introduced in '94 those teams were decimated.
Trucker 96
Plan B free agency existed, where you could protect a subset of your roster but beyond that was basically free. That is how they got Novacek from Arizona. They signed a ****-ton of plan B guys in 1990 since their 89 roster was so bad, semi-castoffs from other teams were better than what Dallas had. I think James Washington was another guy they got that way.

But yeah, big picture, the draft was how you built
jr15aggie
AG
Forgot Novacek was originally a Cardinal.

It's too bad todays free agency looks completely different. Most of the time guys are getting paid more than what they are worth which can easily cripple a teams salary cap. It's how you have a good players like Byron Jones being paid like he's the absolute best. Frustrating.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Jimmy Johnson's draft chart was an epic invention

He says he made like 80 trades or something obscene to build that 92 team
jteagle
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

jteagle said:

jr15aggie said:

Who was on that staff?
OC Norv Turner
DC Dave Wannstedt
ST Joe Avezzano
Butch Davis
Dave Campo

These are the ones I remember off the top of my head. They weren't great as head coaches but they were awesome coordinators.
MookieBlaylock
AG
So really not a great staff at all once they left
Saint Pablo
SHould we have any interest in David Decastro?
jr15aggie
AG
We should have little to no interest IMO. We've made our bed on the O-line with cap resources and draft resources. The starters and back-ups are mostly set with a few guys battling for the last roster spot. We are gonna run with what we got and hope they are back to full strength.
PooDoo
AG
jteagle said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

jteagle said:

jr15aggie said:

Who was on that staff?
OC Norv Turner
DC Dave Wannstedt
ST Joe Avezzano
Butch Davis
Dave Campo

These are the ones I remember off the top of my head. They weren't great as head coaches but they were awesome coordinators.

Add Jason Garrett, Jack DelRio and Ken Norton Jr... and I think we had a DB that is a DC now. That's a lot of football IQ in those meeting rooms.
Ag Natural
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

So really not a great staff at all once they left

To be fair, Jimmy wasn't really good after he left either
jr15aggie
AG
Somebody can correct me cause I'm just going off memory... but I think Jimmy always had 1 foot out the door while coaching the Dolphins. After the two Super Bowls in Dallas he made it known he was immediately flying to Florida and getting on his boat (which was named 3 rings after his Natty as a player, Natty as a coach, and Super Bowl).

I think the only reason he agreed to coach the Dolphins was he already lived there and was close to what he loved. They never got close to getting the Coach that created the Miami U and Dallas dynasties. He had already reached the pinnacle twice and after Dallas I don't think he really cared all that much.
Saint Pablo
Any Cowboys fans interested in joining a dynasty fantasy league with fellow TexAgs-ers?
TyHolden
AG
jr15aggie said:

Somebody can correct me cause I'm just going off memory... but I think Jimmy always had 1 foot out the door while coaching the Dolphins. After the two Super Bowls in Dallas he made it known he was immediately flying to Florida and getting on his boat (which was named 3 rings after his Natty as a player, Natty as a coach, and Super Bowl).

I think the only reason he agreed to coach the Dolphins was he already lived there and was close to what he loved. They never got close to getting the Coach that created the Miami U and Dallas dynasties. He had already reached the pinnacle twice and after Dallas I don't think he really cared all that much.

If you look at it in that perspective, Jimmy is one of the greatest coaches of all time. When you look at his short time at the U and Dallas, he won 3 rings at different levels. Is there another coach that has done this that quickly?
PooDoo
AG
Y'all ready for Hard Knocks?

MookieBlaylock
AG
He has been fat amd out of shape

We shall see
TyHolden
AG
I hope he gets back to form. I hope Pollard can carry more of the load as well. We need 2 solid years from Zeke before the Texans trade for him.
Grapesoda2525
Hope he's cured his fumblitis too.
Southlake
I don't care how fat and out of shape he is as long as his head is on straight. Won't trust him until he proves otherwise. With Dak and the WRs, any back in this offense will reach 1000 yards. Zeke should hit 2000.
PooDoo
AG
ApachePilot
AG
MaximusDMeridius said:

I hope he gets back to form. I hope Pollard can carry more of the load as well. We need 2 solid years from Zeke before the Texans trade for him.
PooDoo
AG
jr15aggie
AG
You know what this team really needs... distractions!!!!!

HBO Hard Knocks coming back to big D.
PooDoo
AG

jr15aggie
AG
All the Kudos to Dak... but that video also showed how good our WRs are. And Lamb is a guy on the rise and might end up better than all of them. Crazy good WR corps!
MookieBlaylock
AG
Had to quit watching bc joe suck is annoying

PooDoo
AG
Dallas Morning News story on the most intriguing Hard Knocks story lines
https://outline.com/B7e5Lq
PooDoo
AG
Plus, Earl Thomas...
jr15aggie
AG
Pootie Tang! Whatta Ta!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.