********** Dallas Cowboys 2021 Draft Thread ***********

108,471 Views | 1573 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jr15aggie
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PooDoo said:

You hear Zack Wilson wasn't named a team captain?

I guess Voch found out none of Lawrence's teammates went to his 21st birthday!
jr15aggie
AG
And Aldon Smith has a warrant out for his arrest for an alleged assault in New Orleans.

Sadly, I'm not surprised.

What I am surprised about is the ESPN headline link didn't read "Former Dallas Cowboy Aldon Smith".
Ag Natural
AG
I guess that explains why the Cowboys moved on.
"Always you have to contend with the stupidity of men." - Henry D. Thoreau
Trucker 96
It looks to have happened after they cut ties, but maybe they already saw signs of the personal life wheels coming off before.

Also, he was very active the first month of the season, but he seemed to become much more invisible after that. I sensed that maybe he remembered why he quit football for 4 years. Some of these guys that are good at the game still just don't like the game
jr15aggie
AG
Every time I visit the mock draft simulators and Kyle Pitts falls it screws up the entire draft. We really can't fill our defensive needs if we go offense #1. The good news is I think there is less than 10% chance he's there at 10.

The "best" drafts I've been able to come up with are when all defensive players are still on the board and we trade back 2-3 spots with Philly or SD. We pick up a 2nd rounder for our troubles, we still get one of the top CBs, and then we go to work with our 4 remaining top 100 picks.

In those scenarios, by the time we finish with pick 99 we have what looks to be a starting CB and starting S. We also have starting caliber / key rotation players at LB, DE/DT, and sometimes OT.

PS: I've also seen drafts where the WRs and OTs fall... when 10 rolls around Pitts is gone and so are Surtain and Horne. If that happens in 2 weeks I'll throw up!
Macarthur
I've concluded that the simulators are hella fun, but incredibly flawed.

I have been on the defense, defense, defense bandwagon the whole time, but I'm coming around to the Pitts thing if he falls to 10. He is generational and you just gave Dak tons of cash so we shouldn't feel bad about giving him more weapons.

I still think they need to make some moves in the mid rounds because 10 players are not going to make this team. Use as much capital as you can to have top 150 or so picks. Who cares if you have any 6th or 7th round picks.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Meh TE at 10 is a waste

Name a great top 10 pick TE since Kellen Winslow Jr

Macarthur
MookieBlaylock said:

Meh TE at 10 is a waste

I understand but this guy is a diff dude. YOu telling me you could get a prime Kelce or Gronk at 10 and you would pass?

Would you take Tony Gonzalez with the 10th pick?
MookieBlaylock
AG
Macarthur said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Meh TE at 10 is a waste

I understand but this guy is a diff dude. YOu telling me you could get a prime Kelce or Gronk at 10 and you would pass?

Would you take Tony Gonzalez with the 10th pick?

Yeah something about him is odd to me
I would pass and take the tackle

HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
A great hypothetical on the ringer NFL show I was listening to this morning. Pats trade Stephon Gilmore and the 15th pick to move up to number 10. Pat move out to get their quarterback(their hypothetical was Fields). Doesn't give us additional pics this year like I may have wanted but solved the need at corner. And could still take one of the top corners at 15 to give us the best CB lineup we've had in a long time, or take someone else on defense like Barmore or one of the DEs. Gives Dallas a ton of options though
jr15aggie
AG
We do not have the cap space for Gilmore's current contract.... not to mention the fact that it's an expiring contract and he/his agent are already letting it be known they want to get paid.

Tell NE to try again, and the conversation starts with their 2nd round pick this year!
Saint Pablo
MookieBlaylock said:

Meh TE at 10 is a waste

If it makes you feel better, think of him as a WR, not a TE. I would prefer to go defense, but Pitts is a freak.
Macarthur
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

A great hypothetical on the ringer NFL show I was listening to this morning. Pats trade Stephon Gilmore and the 15th pick to move up to number 10. Pat move out to get their quarterback(their hypothetical was Fields). Doesn't give us additional pics this year like I may have wanted but solved the need at corner. And could still take one of the top corners at 15 to give us the best CB lineup we've had in a long time, or take someone else on defense like Barmore or one of the DEs. Gives Dallas a ton of options though

This is an interesting scenario.

Saw a clip with Fisher this morning and the rumors he is hearing is that the Cowboys absolutely love Moering, the S out of TCU. Obviously, 10 is too high for him, but a scenario like above and dropping down to take Moering and adding him to Diggs and Gilmore....that's a really interesting defensive backfield.

The trade aside, we have always assumed a trade back for another of the CBs might be the play, but if they really like Moering, maybe he's what they target with a move back and get a CB later.
AG
Macarthur said:

HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

This is an interesting scenario.

Saw a clip with Fisher this morning and the rumors he is hearing is that the Cowboys absolutely love Moering, the S out of TCU. Obviously, 10 is too high for him, but a scenario like above and dropping down to take Moering and adding him to Diggs and Gilmore....that's a really interesting defensive backfield.

The trade aside, we have always assumed a trade back for another of the CBs might be the play, but if they really like Moering, maybe he's what they target with a move back and get a CB later.

Would love him at 15 or even a little later. You can still get a good corner in the 2nd or 3rd(I really like the Syracuse CB Melifonwu)

Regarding Gilmore, I think the Cowboys could really get creative to get him in under the cap. Not sure the rules under the CBA but even though he's on the wrong side of 30, I think you make that deal, extend him and figure it out. You could probably still get a day 2 pick out of NE for the trouble in addition to filling the dire CB need
jr15aggie
AG
I just hope our front 7 (including whoever we draft to help) can stop the run and get to the QB. We could do neither last year and if that doesn't change it won't matter who we have in the secondary.

There are a few Bobby Brown types at DT that project to be later day 2 picks. We probably need to get one of those in the 3rd and hope they can be a solid addition to the DL rotation.
AG
jr15aggie said:

I just hope our front 7 (including whoever we draft to help) can stop the run and get to the QB. We could do neither last year and if that doesn't change it won't matter who we have in the secondary.

There are a few Bobby Brown types at DT that project to be later day 2 picks. We probably need to get one of those in the 3rd and hope they can be a solid addition to the DL rotation.

Absolutely. Need to spend at least 3 picks on the front 7. Hell , I'm all for making those 3 be on the front 4. 2 ends or 2 DTs I don't care, but 3 young contributors . But we need a talent influx there for sure
jr15aggie
AG
Agreed!

That's where playing with these simulators gets me in trouble with expectations vs. what will actually happen on draft day. In my sims it's no problem to trade down a few spots (for an extra 2nd rounder), still draft Surtain/Horn, get an edge rusher like Basham and a Safety in the 2nd, and get a LB & DT in the 3rd.

That's a new starter at CB & Free Safety and 3 key rotation guys for our front 7.....and that's just in rounds 1-3........ all in fantasy land of course!
AG
jr15aggie said:

Agreed!

That's where playing with these simulators gets me in trouble with expectations vs. what will actually happen on draft day. In my sims it's no problem to trade down a few spots (for an extra 2nd rounder), still draft Surtain/Horn, get an edge rusher like Basham and a Safety in the 2nd, and get a LB & DT in the 3rd.

That's a new starter at CB & Free Safety and 3 key rotation guys for our front 7.....and that's just in rounds 1-3........ all in fantasy land of course!

Don't even get me started on the sims. They are a lot of fun but are setting me up for disappointment. Case in point, I did one recently where I traded back 3 times in the first (to 12, then 14 and finally to 18), collected 3 future firsts as well two 2nds this year and a 3rd (giving away our last two picks this year) Which gave me picks 18, 36, 37, 44, 75, and 78. Took Moerhig, Newsome, Basham, McNeil, Jamin Davis and Brady Christiansen.

So unrealistic but damn. (My only other complaint about the sims is it's difficult to move back up. If the Cowboys got a haul of picks for trading back in the first, I'd want to move up earlier on day two and again on day 3 and get another sure fire starter/contributor)
jr15aggie
AG
Just saw a mock draft where we used our 2nd rounder on Sam Cosmi, the OT from tu. F to the NO!!!!!!
Vince Blake
I love the 2 for 1 scouting job they did in this video.
jr15aggie
AG
1. Kyle Pitts is a very impressive young man (he wears glasses though!?!)
2. Jerry is a very old man and continues to decline in the area of making complete sentences.

Fisher did a fun run down of the last 10 years of #10 picks. Only 2 were busts and both were QBs. Everybody else was either a serviceable starter or a home run pick like Gillmore & Mahomes.
Macarthur
jr15aggie said:

Just saw a mock draft where we used our 2nd rounder on Sam Cosmi, the OT from tu. F to the NO!!!!!!

Yeah, I'm not high on him.

I saw a scout on twitter say that he has atrocious technique. But the scout says he is just amazing that he is as effective as he is with such poor technique. The verdict was that he can't get away with that in the NFL. If he gets his technique down, he could be an all pro for a decade. If he doesn't, he could be out of the league in a couple of years.
jr15aggie
AG
I hate where he was picked most of all. I'm all for an OT in this draft, but it needs to be or our comp pick at 99 at the absolute earliest. 2nd round should be prime spot for a safety, DL, or LB that can start / heavily contribute day 1.

I do NOT need to spend top draft capital for a guy who will only play if *cough* when Tyron misses a few games.
AG
jr15aggie said:

I hate where he was picked most of all. I'm all for an OT in this draft, but it needs to be or our comp pick at 99 at the absolute earliest. 2nd round should be prime spot for a safety, DL, or LB that can start / heavily contribute day 1.

I do NOT need to spend top draft capital for a guy who will only play if *cough* when Tyron misses a few games.

I don't mind spending a 3rd, or additional 2nd if we trade back on an OT. With the injury history of the oline the last couple years, that might play a fair amount, and Tyron only has a couple years left in the tank. That said, I don't want Cosmi for the above reasons and would much rather spend the bulk of our draft capital on defense. IIIIIF, we have to pick an OT on day 2, I'd be all in on the kid from BYU, Christiansen or Carman from Clemson(bc he can play guard too) would be great value, or someone like Jenkins from Okie Lite (if he falls). Otherwise....give me the D....fense
Danny Phantom
Some guys I hope we pick after round 1 and where I think they'll go.

WR:
Mike Strachan - Charleston (4-5)

Tamorrion Terry - Florida St (5-7)

Austin Watkins - UAB (5th)

Jaelon Darden - North Texas (5th)

OT:
Spencer Brown - Northern Iowa (2-3)

Stone Forsythe - Florida (3rd)

Walker Little - Stanford (2nd)

Dillon Radunz - North Dakota St (2-3)

iOL:
Landon Dickerson - Alabama (2nd)

Ben Cleveland - Georgia (3-4)

Robert Jones - Middle Tennessee St (4-5)

Jared Hocker - Texas A&M (4-5)

EDGE:
Charles Snowden - Virginia (3rd)

Payton Turner - Houston (2nd)

Dayo Odeyingbo - Vanderbilt (3rd)

Elerson Smith - Northern Iowa (4-5)

DT:
Bobby Brown - Texas A&M (3rd)

Davion Nixon - Iowa (3rd)

Khyiris Tonga - BYU (5th)

LB:
Buddy Johnson - Texas A&M (4th)

Barron Browning - Ohio St (2nd)

Derrick Barnes - Purdue (4th)

Nick Niemann - Iowa (5-7)

CB:
Pualson Adebo - Stanford (2-3)

Kary Vincent JR - LSU (4-6)

Ambry Thomas - Michigan (3)

S:
Jevon Holland - Oregon (2nd)

Divine Diablo - Virginia Tech (3-4)

James Wiggins - Cincinatti (4-5)

Tyree Gillepsee - Missouri (3-4)

jr15aggie
AG
Nice list. I'm becoming a big fan of Holland in the 2nd. True FS that we haven't had in a long time.

I think a guy like Darden (North TX WR) could be a nice addition if we can wait until the 5th. It's not a huge need with Lamb and Coopers ability to play inside and out, I just really like the player.
jr15aggie
AG
Watching Trey Lance's pro day on NFL network. The football explodes out of that dudes hands. Big guy too... It's like Dak and Mahomes had a baby.

Can't see how any team would take Mac Jones over this guy.
PooDoo
AG
Broaddus, who is pretty plugged in, said he thinks Mac is a smoke screen because half of their old staff has the #2 pick.
Danny Phantom
Darden would be a fun gadget guy for us. Sort of the way the Saints use Deonte Harris. Returner + slot depth with the occasional jet sweep.
BMX Bandit
PooDoo said:

Broaddus, who is pretty plugged in, said he thinks Mac is a smoke screen because half of their old staff has the #2 pick.

Why do they need to smoke screen tge team ahead of them that is taking a different QB?
MookieBlaylock
AG
You missed where he said he is plugged in

That take is as profound as Peter King
jr15aggie
AG
One week out.....

What I think they will do: Sit there at 10 and take their guy, probably Surtain.

What I think they might should do: Trade down with a QB needy team, get an extra 2nd rounder, and take Barmore. Come back in the 2nd and get the best available CB and S - Jevon Holland.

Our front 7 is our real problem on D. We've got talent and bodies at edge rusher, if we could add a real disruptive force inside that will improve our defense more than any other position. We'd also be able to tighten up our secondary in this scenario and still have two more top 100 picks to fill in other gaps.
Danny Phantom
3 LB's I should add to the list after watching some of their games this morning:

Cameron McGrone - Michigan (4-5)
- Torn ACL in November will drop him to day 3 but he's a good player who would of went in the top 100 had he not gotten hurt. He's an athletic & rangy LB that Dan Quinn likes.

Isaiah McDuffie - Boston College (4)
- Really physical LB against the run who will hit you like a truck. 107 tackles his senior year & you can tell he understands the game. Ran a 4.58 so he has the speed to make sideline to sideline plays.

Tony Fields - West Virginia (4-5)
- undersized but he's always around the ball & is active in zone coverage. Taking on & shedding blocks is his weakness but often times he'll slip under the blocks & make the tackle. A little worried about him vs NFL OL blocking him at the 2nd level but he'll get on the field in this pass happy league. 46 straight starts at Arizona & West Virginia with no injuries.

Overall, seems like round 4 is the sweet spot for getting the most bang for your buck at LB. We need to find our Anthony Hitchens this draft to provide quality depth & special teams snaps.
AG
jr15aggie said:

One week out.....

What I think they will do: Sit there at 10 and take their guy, probably Surtain.

What I think they might should do: Trade down with a QB needy team, get an extra 2nd rounder, and take Barmore. Come back in the 2nd and get the best available CB and S - Jevon Holland.

Our front 7 is our real problem on D. We've got talent and bodies at edge rusher, if we could add a real disruptive force inside that will improve our defense more than any other position. We'd also be able to tighten up our secondary in this scenario and still have two more top 100 picks to fill in other gaps.

Looking at the Twitter-verse this morning and there are some talking heads that think both CBs are gone by 10 (one mock I saw has Detroit and Carolina taking Surtain and Horn respectively). While I don't think that happens, if it does, I think the likelihood of the Cowboys trading down goes way up. As it stands now, I think at least one of them is still there at 10.
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah, I'm also seeing more and more stuff that suggests the top 9 picks won't necessarily be all offense like we were hoping.

The biggest problem, if we get wiped out at CB, is we are no longer in the drivers seat when the phone rings. They might be able to get us to move for less.

But the good news is I think there might be more defensive talent that Dallas really likes than we initially thought. They most likely value CB at 10 the most... but if that option is gone it appears they really like a few other guys like Moehrig. I'd like to think that they would decline a low ball trade option and still get a guy they really value, even if 10 might be a bit rich for that guy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.