********** Dallas Cowboys 2021 Draft Thread ***********

108,432 Views | 1573 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jr15aggie
Saint Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trading down and nabbing Surtain in the middle of the first and having Cosmi fall to you in the second would be nice.
Saint Pablo
Has anyone gotten an A+? A is my highest grade so far...first time I was above A-
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Rumors tonight Dak has agreed to terms on an extension
Danny Phantom
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Where'd you see that?
PooDoo
AG
TyHolden
AG
I researched Dak's new contract thoroughly and the only thing I found is that Dak had a second ankle surgery sometime last year and Aaron Rodgers got engaged to Katniss a couple weeks ago and only a handful of people knew they were dating.
Macarthur
Anyone noticed that on these simulations, there seems to be a ton of middle round pass rushers?

I've always been of the mind that anyone that's any good at pass rushing isn't going to last very long so are these guys worth a fairly important draft pick (4th or 5th rounder0)?
Danny Phantom
Yeah I'm interested to see how they stack up. There's a lot of discrepancy in their rankings & without the combine it'll be even harder to get a feel of where they'll go. Earlier I said that I don't see Roche making it to 99 but after looking at it closer I wouldn't be surprised if he's available there.
Old Tom Morris
Would explain why Dak was still on crutches at New Years. Not going to lie, that's still a bit concerning even though the cowboys say they are not concerned (which they would never admit to be anyway)
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Danny Phantom said:

Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Where'd you see that?

There was some twitter rumor last night but i guess it was just that. No substance.
TyHolden
AG
our favorite simulator...

HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Danny Phantom said:

Yeah I'm interested to see how they stack up. There's a lot of discrepancy in their rankings & without the combine it'll be even harder to get a feel of where they'll go. Earlier I said that I don't see Roche making it to 99 but after looking at it closer I wouldn't be surprised if he's available there.

Yeah looking at some other services out there, seeing guys rated as borderline 1st rounders being considered 3rd to 4th rounders in PFF, and vice versa. The big DT from UW I've seen as a late 1st/early second rounder on places like The Ringer and PFF has him ranked around 80. Likewise PFF has the two TCU safeties as #20 and #40 overall, and most services have Moering in the 35-40 range and Washington around 80. Conversely , I've seen one of my favorites Nasirildeen as high as 34 overall elsewhere. Pff has him in the 90s.

Not saying one is more right than another, but I can't remember a year where the prospect ratings were so varied
Macarthur
Agree completely.
TyHolden
AG
If Sewell and one of the cbs are there , a couple of teams wanting a qb really badly as well, what do you do?
Danny Phantom
Honestly when it comes to draft positioning, PFF might be the worst. They rely on their grades & don't factor measurables & athleticism like nfl teams do. For example, a couple drafts ago they had Maurice Hurst as a top 15 prospect. He went in the 5th.

The guy I like the most with scouting reports & prospect rankings is Dane Brugler. He releases a draft guide close to the draft that has as scouting report on 300+ players. I've gotten it for the past 4 years & its definitely Worth it.
jr15aggie
AG
MaximusDMeridius said:

If Sewell and one of the cbs are there , a couple of teams wanting a qb really badly as well, what do you do?

I make that QB desperate team overpay big time! In previous drafts, teams moving up to take Mahomes and Watson had to give up next years #1 as well as other picks.

If somebody wants to overpay I'm moving down and I'm looking for the best defensive guys with my late 1st and early 2nd round picks (and praying that team I just traded with has a really crappy 2021 season!). If not then I'm going to stay put and take the best player, which in your scenario is Sewell. By all accounts he's a plug and play starter with Pro-Bowl upside. I want defense but you don't walk away from players like that.
PatAg
AG
MaximusDMeridius said:

our favorite simulator...

Watson is not better than Dak, that seems like a waste.
AG
jr15aggie said:

MaximusDMeridius said:

I make that QB desperate team overpay big time! In previous drafts, teams moving up to take Mahomes and Watson had to give up next years #1 as well as other picks.

If somebody wants to overpay I'm moving down and I'm looking for the best defensive guys with my late 1st and early 2nd round picks (and praying that team I just traded with has a really crappy 2021 season!). If not then I'm going to stay put and take the best player, which in your scenario is Sewell. By all accounts he's a plug and play starter with Pro-Bowl upside. I want defense but you don't walk away from players like that.

I agree with this. Make them overpay big time. Sincerely doubt Sewell is there though, but if he is I am super tempted to pull the trigger as much as I would like to trade down for an extra 2nd and 3rd rounder. He's about as much a sure thing as you can have in a draft. But if one of the 4 QBs are there, likely Lance, it's very possible someone will over pay to snag him. Most of the teams that would do that are 24 and earlier, so you aren't moving back terribly far to still get a chance at one of your guys. Just really depends how high the Cowboys rate guys like Horn or Samuel. Are they willing to still pick them at 18 bc they rate them near or equal to Surtain and Farley (provided neither are there). Or would they want to move back further into the 20s before taking them bc they feel like there is a large gap there. Only Jerry, Stephen and Co know
AG
For example, we all assume the Jets take a QB at 2. But what if they take Sewell or Chase and then try and move up from 23(or would they try and take Mac Jones here)? San Fran likely wants a QB at 12, so who would want to move up ahead of them? Raiders(17), Patriots(15), WFT(19), Jets(23), Colts(21), and Bears(20) are all possibilities

Which could POSSIBLY be why Daks contract situation has been all over the news. Make it seem like the Cowboys are a threat to take QB at 10. Drive up that value. Of course, that's giving them a lot of credit that I'm not sure they deserve.
Danny Phantom
Yepp, QB would get the biggest haul but there could be a nice trade up market if one of the top 3 WRs or Pitts fall to #10. NYG are right behind us & they're looking for playmakers on offense.
AG
Danny Phantom said:

Yepp, QB would get the biggest haul but there could be a nice trade up market if one of the top 3 WRs or Pitts fall to #10. NYG are right behind us & they're looking for playmakers on offense.

For that to NOT happen, would take a near miracle. That's 8 players between the 4 QBs, 3 wrs , and Pitts. Throw in Sewell, there's your 9 picks before the Cowboys. Which means Parsons and Paye are there plus any of the top DBs. It takes two, but I think you'll have multiple very interested ball clubs.
Macarthur
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Danny Phantom said:

For that to NOT happen, would take a near miracle. That's 8 players between the 4 QBs, 3 wrs , and Pitts. Throw in Sewell, there's your 9 picks before the Cowboys. Which means Parsons and Paye are there plus any of the top DBs. It takes two, but I think you'll have multiple very interested ball clubs.

Gotta say he was not on my radar during the season but watching some clips....sure would be interesting to pair him with Tank.

He appears to be a hard worker and high character guy, too.
Danny Phantom
He's got an awesome story. This short video explaining his journey is worth a watch.

jr15aggie
AG
Michigan DE in round one? Nope nope nope nope!
PooDoo
AG
jr15aggie said:

Michigan DE in round one? Nope nope nope nope!
Honestly, I'd rather start Gregory on the other side of Lawrence.

Now, I would draft Paye if I was planning to move Lawrence. I think he is the same type of good run stopper but an unnatural pass rusher that you wouldn't necessarily take in the top 10. He might be able to develop, like Lawrence but his film looks a little stiff and robotic.
PooDoo
AG
After running several pff mocks I keep passing on Najee Harris but after I saw this post-game interview he really moved up my draft board.
PooDoo
AG
Anyone have any insight in Javon Holland or Tre Brown as a day 2 or 3 option? Their highlights look amazing.

Macarthur
I think Holland is a def take and I saw where PFF really loves Brown as a slot CB. He graded out very high in the slot.

I also think RB is something to watch. They may wait until next year if they want to get another year out of Zeke, but I could see them signing Dak and trying to make Dak's cap number really low next year and eat a big portion of Zeke's $. Prob won't happen but it's worth thinking about.
Danny Phantom
I just want everyone to know that I am officially planting my flag on Jaycee Horn being CB1.

https://instagr.am/p/CLK9AI2BXlX

PooDoo
AG
You definitely get a Stephon Gilmore vibe when you watch him play.
Macarthur
The good news for Dallas is that there is pretty good DB depth in this draft. We should be able to come out of this draft w at least 2 good DBs.
AG
Macarthur said:

The good news for Dallas is that there is pretty good DB depth in this draft. We should be able to come out of this draft w at least 2 good DBs.

If we only come away with 2, I'll be a little upset. 3 for sure, would prefer 4 (2 cb and 2 S, ideally)
TyHolden
AG
Houston just released JJ Watt. Pick him up and beg his brother to forgive us for passing him up for a Taco.
PooDoo
AG
I think getting at big body like Barmore would solve a lot of problems in our DL and LB group. 6'5 310+... just a monster.

I also wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Richard Sherman, if the price is right.
Macarthur
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Macarthur said:

If we only come away with 2, I'll be a little upset. 3 for sure, would prefer 4 (2 cb and 2 S, ideally)

I am fully on board for going heaving DB in this draft. However, I do think they will dip their toe in the FA market at DB.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.