********** Dallas Cowboys 2021 Draft Thread ***********

108,456 Views | 1573 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jr15aggie
Danny Phantom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Another OT that isn't talked about enough is Spencer Brown from Northern Illinois. 6'8 & 311 pounds who tested elite on all the drills. He could go as high as late 1 but I think the 2nd round is his likeliest spot.

PooDoo
AG
He reminds me of Eric Fisher.
Danny Phantom
This is a guy I consistently mock to the cowboys & would love in round 3. Coming off an Achilles injury he might miss some of his rookie season but if he fully recovers he can be our David Irving without the off field issues.
PooDoo
AG
So he's going to miss the whole season?
I guess you could burn a comp on him but there might still be some day 1 defensive starters available in the 3rd.
Trucker 96
I'm just done with them burning high-ish picks on guys that can't play the 1st year or at least have major health questions. Those 1st 4 years when guys are cheap are just too valuable to give one away.
jr15aggie
AG
Also, it usually takes them a full year of playing to get back to where they were. So in reality you are lucky to get 2 solid / cheap years out of them.... 2 years after you drafted them. Not to mention even when they do come back, sometimes they aren't even as good as you hoped they would be.

We've got 4 top 100 picks and we need to use them
to find 3 starting caliber players for next year.
Danny Phantom
Jeffery Simmons was a 1st round pick despite suffering an ACL injury a couple months before the draft. He still played half of his rookie season, & during his second year in the nfl, he recorded an 83.9 PFF grade. Looks like it worked out for them. Also, a 3rd round draft pick is worth taking a flyer on someone with an injury if it is a premier position like DL. I also doubt he misses his whole rookie season. If he pans out we're talking about a disruptive 6'5 DL with 35 1/2" arms, something that we're desperately looking for.
jr15aggie
AG
A 3rd I can tolerate, I'm just done with the 2nd round gambles, especially in years where we need lots of upgrades.
PooDoo
AG
A big man with a bad achilles is a pretty big gamble.

Maybe Jerry's security team can get him to be questioned by the police about a murder investigation the night before the draft... then we can sign him as a FA.
Danny Phantom
That's fair.

I like to gamble on players who slip due to injuries a little more than most so I'd be okay with using a 2nd round pick on Landon Dickerson. With that said, I wouldn't want to pick more than 1 injury guy per draft.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Danny Phantom said:

That's fair.

I like to gamble on players who slip due to injuries a little more than most so I'd be okay with using a 2nd round pick on Landon Dickerson. With that said, I wouldn't want to pick more than 1 injury guy per draft.

I would agree with that "rule". 1 injury gamble per draft, but tough to take that risk on a 2nd rounder. 3rd MAYBE. I mean, I don't know the actual stat but it's been proven that guys with injury histories in college end up having issues in the pros at a stupid high clip. Rarely do those guys end up playing consecutive entire seasons
jr15aggie
AG
Definitely depends on where you are picking in the 2nd too. 44... way too high when there should be guys on the board that could start for us next year.

But talking about this reminds me how ridiculous the Jaylon Smith 2nd rounder was (Pick 34!!!). Some teams had him completely off their board convinced he'd never walk right again, much less play football. It was widely considered we could have used a later draft pick and still landed him. No idea why we thought we had to grab him in the 2nd.

Speaking of the 2016 Draft... Keanu Neal was in this draft class. Didn't realize he was a #1 pick (Pick 17). This team will be leaning very heavily on the Class of '16 this year!!!
Ag Natural
AG
Does anyone know Dickerson's full injury history? That is where you get into trouble. Draft a guy who's getting hurt all the time in college and expect him to stay healthy in the pros. I thought Smith was okay since he'd never missed time as long as the doctors were giving the go ahead.

When you really look at it, Vander Esch was the dumber pick.
"Always you have to contend with the stupidity of men." - Henry D. Thoreau
Trucker 96
In 5 seasons on a college campus, he had 4 major injuries including 2 ACL tears. 2016 season ended due to ACL tear after 7 games. 2017 season ended due to ankle surgery after 4 games. 2018 another major ankle injury - played 2 games all year. 2020 ACL tear ends his season. Taking him any time before the last day would be looney
Ag Natural
AG
Fore Left! said:

In 5 seasons on a college campus, he had 4 major injuries including 2 ACL tears. 2016 season ended due to ACL tear after 7 games. 2017 season ended due to ankle surgery after 4 games. 2018 another major ankle injury - played 2 games all year. 2020 ACL tear ends his season. Taking him any time before the last day would be looney
No joke. 7th rounder if you really like him
"Always you have to contend with the stupidity of men." - Henry D. Thoreau
Danny Phantom
Nope. Landon Dickerson = 2nd round pick.

Do y'all think Alabama used one of their precious spots on him if they didn't think he was back to 100% before 2019? He came in & showed he's got top 20 ability by completely bullying everyone he went against. Then after 24 straight starts he tore his acl & a few months later at Alabama's pro day he's already running around doing cartwheels & sniper crawls. A team will gamble on him in the 2nd, & possibly the 1st, just like the Patriots gambled on gronkowksi. It'll pay off & he will be a stud just like gronk. Book it!
jr15aggie
AG
Saw a trade scenario where we went down to 13 (Chargers jumping NY and Philly for their offensive player).

We still landed Surtain and picked up a 2nd rounder for our trouble. I'd take that all day because screw NY & Philly and it really helps us too!
Carlo4
AG
jr15aggie said:

Saw a trade scenario where we went down to 13 (Chargers jumping NY and Philly for their offensive player).

We still landed Surtain and picked up a 2nd rounder for our trouble. I'd take that all day because screw NY & Philly and it really helps us too!
Part of me likes it, but I hope, in a scenario like that, we can trade some of our other 10 picks and pick up "value" in a few cases. 10 picks seems like way too many/I'd rather go quality over quantity.

Example... make the trade to get Surtain and an extra 2. Maybe trade both 2s (or whatever equivalent value) to get back into late round 1 and get the OT mentioned at top of the page.
jr15aggie
AG
Agreed. With 4 top 100 picks and 6 other picks we have ammo to do a lot.

If we trade down from 10 I would hope the end result is we parley that into two 1st rounders. There are several ways we can use these picks, but coming out of day 2 (rounds 1-3) I hope we can look at the draft and think we got 3 guys that will start day 1.

Overall, I think my theme in this draft is getting the guys we want. If that means staying put at 10 then great. If it means sacrificing picks to move up in the 2nd round also great. Use our 10 picks and find 3 starters and 2 contributors. That is success as far as I'm concerned.
jr15aggie
AG
Fun mock draft simulator I just ran... traded down twice from 10 (Pitts was there but my will was strong). Here's how it turned out:

1st Round: Greg Newsome & Zaven Collins
2nd Round: Carlos Basham & Elijah Moore (luxury pick)
AG
Kiper just did another mock, with Dallas trading back with the Pats, picking up their 2022 1st rounder, and still getting Jaycee Horn. Then he had them selecting Joe Tryon in the 2nd. I think I'd be pretty happy if it fell like that.
jr15aggie
AG
The Pats want to move up into the top 10 for a QB? If that's the case I'm holding them up for their 1st next year and at least a 3rd rounder this year. I'm not moving down 5 spots without adding something that helps me in this draft.

I almost think I'd rather take their 2nd & 3rd rounder this year for the move instead of next years 1 (which could very well be a late 1st round pick). I'd rather have their pick 46 & 96 this year and let us go to work with that.
jr15aggie
AG
With the talk of moving down, the question becomes "who are you taking if you move down". The name Zaven Collins (LB - Tulsa) has been coming up more and more lately.

And honestly, you'd be hard pressed to argue if we took a Front 7 guy over a CB. Our run D was absolutely terrible last year. And if I'm counting, in our current front 7 we have one guy you feel good about (D-Law). The rest of the guys have yet to prove it or can't stay on the field for one reason or another. We need a lot of help here so I'm fully on board with early and often D-line & LB picks!
AG
jr15aggie said:

With the talk of moving down, the question becomes "who are you taking if you move down". The name Zaven Collins (LB - Tulsa) has been coming up more and more lately.

And honestly, you'd be hard pressed to argue if we took a Front 7 guy over a CB. Our run D was absolutely terrible last year. And if I'm counting, in our current front 7 we have one guy you feel good about (D-Law). The rest of the guys have yet to prove it or can't stay on the field for one reason or another. We need a lot of help here so I'm fully on board with early and often D-line & LB picks!

Wouldn't mind the LB route. Would prefer elsewhere on the Defense (DT foremost) but put me in the camp of going all defense and being ok with it. We better at least go defense with 4 of our first 5 picks though
AG
jr15aggie said:

The Pats want to move up into the top 10 for a QB? If that's the case I'm holding them up for their 1st next year and at least a 3rd rounder this year. I'm not moving down 5 spots without adding something that helps me in this draft.

I almost think I'd rather take their 2nd & 3rd rounder this year for the move instead of next years 1 (which could very well be a late 1st round pick). I'd rather have their pick 46 & 96 this year and let us go to work with that.

Never turn down a 1, but agreed. You take their first next year and get at least a 3rd this year. Hopefully a 2nd. If Fields is the one that somehow drops, you could get a serious premium from one of the other QB needy teams between 12-23.
jr15aggie
AG
Agreed. It's definitely situational. Plenty of times Dallas was out of options, the other team knew it, and we traded down for pennies on the dollar.

If somebody like Fields is there at 10 and some team is desperate to trade up to take him... we absolutely take that team to the woodshed and make them overpay big time to get him!
Danny Phantom
I think the only QB that will be there at 10 is Mac Jones. Maybe Lance but I doubt it. Fields will go to SF at 3 & the odds are already moving towards him being the pick.

If we trade back we'll probably only be able to get a 3rd unless we trade back to late teens early twenties. If New England wants Mac at 10 they'll probably give up a 2nd but I'm not sure Belichick is someone who will get taxed.
PooDoo
AG
I'll eat a pube sandwich if Fields gets to 10 no way he drops. He should.be the 2nd QB off the board.
TheCougarHunter
AG
PooDoo said:

I'll eat a pube sandwich if Fields gets to 10 no way he drops. He should.be the 2nd QB off the board.

Bookmarked
jr15aggie
AG
Agreed. The '22 QB class looks very weak right now... anybody with any doubt at QB should jump at the chance to take Fields if he makes it past 3.

I really hope Mac Jones is the pick at 3, because if that happens things will get crazy... should be a fun draft night!
MooreTrucker
AG
PooDoo said:

Your own or someone elses?
jr15aggie
AG
MooreTrucker said:

PooDoo said:

Your own or someone elses?

Let's not bring your mom into this!
PooDoo
AG
Voch Lombardi has a pretty entertaining Cowboys podcast... this is his top 50
jr15aggie
AG
Watching Draft Day... love this movie. Can't wait for the real deal in a couple weeks!
PooDoo
AG
You hear Zack Wilson wasn't named a team captain?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.