********** Dallas Cowboys 2021 Draft Thread ***********

108,562 Views | 1573 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jr15aggie
digital_ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kellso said:

TheCougarHunter said:

He was outstanding as a rookie but he also had the best OL in the league. Then he tanked the Cowboys season next year by getting suspended for half the season. Then he held out and went to Cabo instead of training camp and started the season fat and slow. Now he's already a step slower and is a huge drain on the cap. Meanwhile Ramsey will be a pro bowl corner for years to come.

Jerry's still living in the 90's when a franchise RB and linebackers won championships.
That's why they haven't sniffed a conference championship in 25+ years.
Kind of interesting that you just completely skipped the 2018 season where Ezekiel Elliot leads the league in rushing (for the 2nd time) has over 2,000 yards from scrimmage.

and the Cowboys do something that they don't do a whole lot of anymore....which is win a playoff game.

This wouldn't be because you have an agenda? Naw......
and again with these stupid rules. Who the hell says you can't win a Super Bowl with a dominant offensive line and running attack?

I don't really have an agenda, just adding another perspective to the issue.

No matter the time frames or recollections the common theme is that Zeke was good, was. If Zeke was still playing at the level he was this wouldn't even be a discussion. And now he costs a lot.

As I already mentioned I don't regret the pick and we got value out of him. But now he costs more than he's worth.
birdman
Everybody keeps mentioning Morris Claiborne. You know he was a sure thing right? Every expert said the Cowboys got a sure fire Pro Bowler for a decade. He was graded about as high as Patrick Peterson. And probably about the same as Ramsey a few years earlier. But sometimes it just doesn't work out.
Kellso
digital_ag said:

Kellso said:

TheCougarHunter said:

He was outstanding as a rookie but he also had the best OL in the league. Then he tanked the Cowboys season next year by getting suspended for half the season. Then he held out and went to Cabo instead of training camp and started the season fat and slow. Now he's already a step slower and is a huge drain on the cap. Meanwhile Ramsey will be a pro bowl corner for years to come.

Jerry's still living in the 90's when a franchise RB and linebackers won championships.
That's why they haven't sniffed a conference championship in 25+ years.
Kind of interesting that you just completely skipped the 2018 season where Ezekiel Elliot leads the league in rushing (for the 2nd time) has over 2,000 yards from scrimmage.

and the Cowboys do something that they don't do a whole lot of anymore....which is win a playoff game.

This wouldn't be because you have an agenda? Naw......
and again with these stupid rules. Who the hell says you can't win a Super Bowl with a dominant offensive line and running attack?

I don't really have an agenda, just adding another perspective to the issue.

No matter the time frames or recollections the common theme is that Zeke was good, was. If Zeke was still playing at the level he was this wouldn't even be a discussion. And now he costs a lot.

As I already mentioned I don't regret the pick and we got value out of him. But now he costs more than he's worth.
That is what happens in the NFL.
Quarterbacks are the only players that (consistently) play for a long time.

The average NFL career is only 3 years.

When you draft a player you are expecting production for the next 4-6 years. Anything after that is gravy.

Ezekiel Elliot has not looked like the same player the last two years (even though his 2019 season was still pretty good) then he did his first 3 years.

My issue with some of the other posters is that they are trying to pretend that 2016-2018 did not happen to push their own agenda of who they wanted Dallas to draft.

If your first round pick is All Pro Multiple times, leads the league in rushing multiple times, and helps your team win....then the pick was a (very) successful one.

I am a big fan of a dominant running game because in my lifetime that is how I've seen(1991-1996, 2014, 2016) the Dallas Cowboys at their best.

Hopefully the offensive line is healthy in 21. The Cowboys essentially played the 2020 season with all 2nd and 3rd string lineman. If the line is healthy and Zeke can rush for over 1,500 yards the Cowboys will have a very good season.
jr15aggie
AG
For the record I love the Parsons pick... one of 2 or 3 premium defenders in this draft and we got him plus an extra 3rd from Philly.

But no doubt the CBs going 8 & 9 really messed up our draft strategy. I think coming into the draft the Cowboys felt confident we'd get our starting CB in the 1st and then we'd get a starting Safety in the 2nd (I think Holland was their target). After that I think this team felt good about adding LB & DL depth in the middle rounds (which they proved).

So the 1st round curve ball definitely changed things. We are now a little more heavy at LB than we anticipated and lighter at S. I'm curious, though, if we had gotten our CB would we have known we'd have to trade up to get Holland... I bet they felt pretty good that he'd make it to pick 44. Instead Holland/Moehrig/Grant were all gone. Crazy.

In the end, assuming Bossman has his priorities straight, we still accomplished priorty #1 and filled the vacant CB spot opposite Diggs. I think we did alright.
jtstanley4621
AG
All I would say to counter that is RB production is very dependent on the overall ability of the o-line. Cant run the ball if you can't block. There were several less than stellar RBs who put up good numbers running behind the line. I would posit the Zeke pick is a "success" because he got to run behind a great o-line. In today's game you can absolutely replace RBs as you want if you have a good o-line. Skill positon players are only getting better and better.
Kellso
jtstanley4621 said:

All I would say to counter that is RB production is very dependent on the overall ability of the o-line. Cant run the ball if you can't block. There were several less than stellar RBs who put up good numbers running behind the line. I would posit the Zeke pick is a "success" because he got to run behind a great o-line. In today's game you can absolutely replace RBs as you want if you have a good o-line. Skill positon players are only getting better and better.
I don't disagree with anything that you stated.

What the pro Jalen Ramsey people are failing to account for is that you can state the exact same thing about the cornerback position.

It is extremely dependent on having a great defensive line that can generate a pass rush.
None of you all are being fair.
You are holding Zeke to one standard while failing to do the same for Jalen Ramsey.

If we were talking about a player that can effect the line of scrimmage, and personally harass the quarterback such as a defensive end or tackle then I would whole heartedly agree that the Cowboys made a mistake by taking Ezekial Elliot.

I cannot state the same for a cornerback when Dallas lacks talent on their defensive front 7.
Jalen Ramsey isn't going to be as effective playing behind Dallas mediocre to below average front 7 when he's played with nothing but Pro Bowl, and Hall of Fame level defensive lineman.

I keep hearing that Zeke is only effective because of his offensive line, but absolutely no one has stated that Jalen Ramsey has played with (BY FAR) the most defensive line talent of any player in the NFL.

No one mentions because all they see is interceptions and pass breaks ups, and they think that Ramsey has done that all by himself.

Jalen Ramsey has played with the following defensive lineman:
Aaron Donald DT: 6x All Pro, 3x NFL Defensive player of the year, 2010's All Decade team
Calais Campbell DE: 6x Pro Bowl, 3x All Pro, 2010's all Decade team
Yannick Ngakoi DE: 2017 Pro Bowl
Malik Jackson DT: 2017 Pro Bowl

Guess what guys? If Jalen is in Dallas his defensive line is suddenly DeMarcus Lawrence and bunch of scrubs.

If the quarterback has all day to throw the ball it doesn't matter how great your cornerback is.

I'm confidence in my assertion because of Byron Jones. He was an excellent cornerback who only looked pretty good because the Cowboys front 7 was always below average.

Put Aaron Donald or Calais Campbell on any of those Cowboys defenses and suddenly all of those defensive backs look a whole lot better.
Byron Jones would have a whole lot more interceptions if he played with a defensive end that was getting 15-20 sacks a year.
Kellso
You are the 2016 Dallas Cowboys and you are faced with two options: Ezekial Elliot or Jalen Ramsey.

Keep in mind the Morris Claiborne setback was a contributing factor to the Cowboys poor seasons in 12, 13, and 15, and they had just drafted Byron Jones in the 1st round the previous year.

Both of these players are dependent on their respective line play. The Cowboys defensive front 7 is below average.
On the contrary their offensive line is the best in the league.

Yes, you can draft a tailback in the 2nd or 3rd round that could run for 1100-1,300 yards behind that line, but that is not what they are going for.

They want the Emmitt Smith, Tony Dorsett, DeMarco Murray 1,500 to 1,700 run it down your throat type of running game.

The idea is that if you have the ability to draft an Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson, Saquon Barkley, Ezekiall Eliott sort of talent you do it because you already have a monster offensive line.

They draft Ezekial Elliot and go 13-3 with a rookie quarterback validating the Zeke draft pick.
It also endorses the idea that having a power running game with an elite tailback and offensive line is very effective because it takes pressure off of the quarterback and defense.

I would not hesitate to take a Saquon Barkley clone in the 1st round a year or two from now (as Zeke's replacement) if the Cowboys offensive line is great again.
FTAggies
Remember, before Zeke got his contract and before Dak made the RB position irrelevant with his breakout season. Zeke WAS the cowboys offense, as you had a Qb with a double digit streak of throwing less than 200yds/game. Zeke carried this team until Dak found the ability to sling it. I believe that if Dak were healthy last year that Zeke would have duplicated his rookie season. Before Dak went out he looked fantastic, after Dak went down what did he have to play for, not to mention losing 2 starting olinemen. With healthy line and healthy Dak I bet zeke looks pretty good, if not let him go, it's put up or shut up time. But hindsight is 20/20, we could be talking about a lot of draft pics we could have gotten instead of taco or Barbie carpenter, or Connor Williams... there's no such thing as a sure thing in drafting. Andrew lucks career wasn't particularly spectacular after all the hype.
Gig'em
PooDoo
AG
You have to have a strong DL and a playmaker or 2 on defense.

Hopefully Parsons has matured and can be one of those for us.
jr15aggie
AG
PooDoo said:

You have to have a strong DL and a playmaker or 2 on defense.

Apparently Dallas feels like we got stronger via the draft, cause they just released Antwun Woods. Interesting.

I'm no scout, but as a hardcore fan, there are guys that pass the eyeball test on Sundays and some that don't. Last year, I felt like Trysten Hill and Gallimore both flashed. Hill looked 100x better than his rookie year and Gallimore took pretty decent strides and was playing well by the end of the year.

Far from calling this group good, but it looks like we have something to work with between these 2 guys, the free agents we brought in, plus the draft picks.
cman1494
AG
Woods doesn't fit Quinn's size requirements for 1T and while he was solid, I think it's better to give some of the younger guys playing time to see what they have.
Grapesoda2525
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2021/5/5/22420076/poll-should-the-dallas-cowboys-bring-back-safety-jeff-heath

Poll is at :

37% yes
63% no
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2021/5/5/22420076/poll-should-the-dallas-cowboys-bring-back-safety-jeff-heath

Poll is at :

37% yes
63% no

Yes as long as he never sees the field on actual defensive lineups. Special teams only.
Grapesoda2525
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Poll is at :

37% yes
63% no

Yes as long as he never sees the field on actual defensive lineups. Special teams only.
I could go for that, but starting? Please god no.
PooDoo
AG
Macarthur
This is a pretty good breakdown. He does have some smoothness to his game that you don't always see for guys that are 6'4".

I also saw that the CB from SC, Mukuamu, is going to get a strong look at FS. That's interesting if they can pull that off.

Also, Sheldon Richardson is still out there. I know we can't afford a big deal, but I wonder if he would do one of these one year deals that they have done lately?
jr15aggie
AG
I don't think we have any room at DT right now. They used all 11 picks for a reason... they are looking to cut as many vets as they can and save cap space. They are going to give all of these rookies every possible chance to make the team. Should create some really nice competition going into the season.

Antwun Woods was the first shot fired. McCarthy and Quinn just asked the entire team "Do I have your attention now!?!".
birdman
Cutting salary is a good thing and every team does it.

I think Dallas is upgrading. Last year was the worst defense in 60 years of Cowboy football. They stunk.
PooDoo
AG
A lot of the YouTube Dallas guys think the days of RBs and TEs eating the Cowboys lunch is over because of Jabril Cox. Seems like a good kid. Looks like he's giving an interview to a family friend.

Ag Natural
AG
Cox did a hell of a job on Wydermyer.
PooDoo
AG
Josh Ball... wonder how Jerry would feel if someone did this to his daughter? Wow

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tampabay.com/sports/college/Florida-State-OL-Josh-Ball-accused-of-dating-violence_162379729/%3foutputType=amp
jr15aggie
AG
Ag Natural said:

Cox did a hell of a job on Wydermyer.

Cox is a player lots of people are very interested in. He fell because there are some questions about his run support, but he's a crazy athletic LB and fills a huge need with his coverage ability.

Plus, his story of how he dominated at a smaller school, got his diploma, and then decided to challenge himself in the SEC. I can't believe Dallas passed on him in the 3rd and I can't believe the other teams let him get to us in the 4th.

IMO, he will become a NFL starting LB pretty quickly and a lot of teams will feel foolish... no way should he have lasted till the 3rd day!
Wildmen03
AG
jr15aggie said:

We know the Jags aren't taking Pitts cause Tebow just worked out for them at TE!
Worked out for Tebow.
BMX Bandit
Cowboys at Buccaneers on Thursday night to start the season
Vince Blake
BMX Bandit said:

Very much likely a loss to start the season but on the bright side it will allow them to identify deficiencies on defense much sooner.
cman1494
AG
I think the Bucs in week 1 could be a good measuring stick. If we are competitive and our defense looks good, I'll be happy. If we can steal a win, I'll be ecstatic.
jteagle
AG
cman1494 said:

I think the Bucs in week 1 could be a good measuring stick. If we are competitive and our defense looks good, I'll be happy. If we can steal a win, I'll be ecstatic.
It's probably better to catch them at the beginning of the season than near the end.
gigem1223
Raiders Thanksgiving day
jr15aggie
AG
Opening week is really the best time to play on Thursday night. You don't have previous game on Sunday to recover from, plus we'll have that extra time to prep for the next game and recover from the week 1 pains.

It will be a nice signature win for the 2021 Cowboys!
Grapesoda2525
BMX Bandit said:

I don't like this. Sunday night week 1 and an easier opponent would have been better.
PooDoo
AG
jr15aggie said:

Opening week is really the best time to play on Thursday night. You don't have previous game on Sunday to recover from, plus we'll have that extra time to prep for the next game and recover from the week 1 pains.

It will be a nice signature win for the 2021 Cowboys!

I love Brady... will be sad to see Parsons break him in two
gigem1223
Week 1: Sep. 9 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Thu) 8:20 PM NBC
Week 2: Sep. 19 at Los Angeles Chargers 4:25 PM CBS
Week 3: Sep. 27 Philadelphia Eagles (Mon) 8:15 PM ESPN
Week 4: Oct. 3 Carolina Panthers 1:00 PM FOX
Week 5: Oct. 10 New York Giants 4:25 PM FOX
Week 6: Oct. 17 at New England Patriots 4:25 PM CBS
Week 7: BYE
Week 8: Oct. 31 at Minnesota Vikings 8:20 PM NBC*
Week 9: Nov. 7 Denver Broncos 1:00 PM FOX
Week 10: Nov. 14 Atlanta Falcons 1:00 PM FOX
Week 11: Nov. 21 at Kansas City Chiefs 4:25 PM FOX
Week 12: Nov. 25 Las Vegas Raiders (Thanksgiving) 4:30 PM CBS
Week 13: Dec. 2 at New Orleans Saints (Thu) 8:20 PM FOX/NFLN/Amazon**
Week 14: Dec. 12 at Washington Football Team 1:00 PM FOX
Week 15: Dec. 19 at New York Giants 1:00 PM FOX
Week 16: Dec. 26 Washington Football Team 8:20 PM NBC*
Week 17: Jan. 2 Arizona Cardinals 1:00 PM FOX
Week 18: Jan. 9 at Philadelphia Eagles 1:00 PM FOX
gigem1223
Pretty brutal road schedule and 4 division games (3 on the road) stacked in the last 5 weeks
Blackstreet
AG
https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/dallas-cowboys-schedule-release-2021

Greatness
toucan82
Is it too early to make W/L predictions?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.