********** Dallas Cowboys 2021 Draft Thread ***********

108,452 Views | 1573 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jr15aggie
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That one is great. Yes, it is addictive.

Something keeps popping up on these simulations. I'd like to get everyone's take.

I think it's unlikely, but what if Parsons falls to 10? I don't like using more draft capital on LBer but he is most likely the most 'high impact' defender in this draft. I do think the Cowboys will part ways with Jaylon after next year and LVE's long term future is a question mark.

Also, taking into consideration what White did for TB last night, you can see what a stud LBer can do to a defense.

Curious about everyone's thoughts on Parsons falling in our lap.
Macarthur
It also seems that there is a good amount of S talent versus years past. I think we need to come out of this draft w/ two safties.
Danny Phantom
I was thinking the same thing when watching White. I think there's a very good chance that parsons makes it to 10 due to some maturity & off field issues (hazing & bullying). He's physical in the run game & is rumored to run in the 4.4 range at 6'3 245 pounds. I'd be happy with him being the pick. If we wait until later in the draft, Baron Browning is a guy with similar athleticism.
Macarthur
Danny Phantom said:

I was thinking the same thing when watching White. I think there's a very good chance that parsons makes it to 10 due to some maturity & off field issues (hazing & bullying). He's physical in the run game & is rumored to run in the 4.4 range at 6'3 245 pounds. I'd be happy with him being the pick. If we wait until later in the draft, Baron Browning is a guy with similar athleticism.

Yeah, I like Browning, too. I think we really need to focus on the middle of our defense this draft. DL, LBer & S.

Gotta get a CB too but we have got to strengthen the middle of this D.
Macarthur
There's also a couple of hybrid type guys that I like

Nasirildeen from FSU is a big safety
Deablo from VT
Jacoby Stevens LSU

Jabril Cox LSU (more True LBer)

Like all these guys as Nickel type LB/S guys.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Macarthur said:

There's also a couple of hybrid type guys that I like

Nasirildeen from FSU is a big safety
Deablo from VT
Jacoby Stevens LSU

Jabril Cox LSU (more True LBer)

Like all these guys as Nickel type LB/S guys.
I think its worth the conversation. One of my takeaways doing the simulator countless times already, is that there seems to be some big name talent that has a very real chance of sliding, giving the cowboys an opportunity to trade down 2-8 spots, and still come away with filling a need with a high quality player in the 1st, while also getting a couple more day 2 picks. i think there is some great value in rounds 2 and 3, that in my very amateur opinion, we should try and stock up on.

for example, happens if one of Fields/Lance/Wilson are still there at 10? what QB need team moves up? 49ers, Redskins, Raiders, Bears, Patriots or Colts could all want to move up (provided they dont trade for Wentz or Darnold)

guys like jabril cox, baron browning, monty rice, or someone like Dylan Moses will be there when the cowboys pick sometime around day 2, maybe even early day 3. Likewise, there is some solid OT talent that could slide to them in Rnd 2 that i wouldnt mind taking a flyer on. maybe im just bullish on the top half of the drive, i dont know.
Macarthur
I agree. I think day 2 and 3 has a ton of value for what Dallas needs....LBers, S and even DL, IMO.
Macarthur
I think the big wild card here is what happens with Tyron Smith. Do they think they can squeeze one more year out of him? Is he done? Those two questions have a huge impact on this draft.

Another guy that has slid a time or two is Sewell. I think he's a take even if Tyron can play because I don't see Tyron playing another two years....
Danny Phantom
Looking at the cowboys cap situation we should be able to fix a couple of our holes on defense. We currently have about $44ish million in cap once the 2020 remaining cap rolls over to 2021. We can create more cap by:

- Cutting Jaylon & Chris Jones ($9.2 M)

- Turning Cooper's contract into signing bonus like our OL in years past. ($14M)

- Tyron Smith is an unknown but if we move on we could save up to $10.5 M.

Potential total in cap space: ~$77.5M

Lets subtract 37.5 from that for Dak after he signs a 4yr 160M contract. (1st year of contracts usually have lowest cap hit so it'll probably be less than 37.5).

Cap space remaining: ~$40M

This remaining cap will allow us to sign players like Suh, McCoy, Malik Hooker, a vet CB, OT & LB.
Macarthur
I think this is all a solid take.

I just wish we knew what the team knows/thinks about the Tyron Situation. That really plays such a huge role in what happens. There are a ton of good OT prospects in the late 1st round. If they feel the need to go there first, trade down is a strong possiblity.
Danny Phantom
I think the sweet spot will be with our 42nd pick. Sit back & let one fall to us like we did with Diggs last year.
AG
Danny Phantom said:

I think the sweet spot will be with our 42nd pick. Sit back & let one fall to us like we did with Diggs last year.

Yup. It's why I really like the idea of trading back a bit (if we can) and add one or two 2nd/3rd rounders. Then you can really have your choice of OT or BDPA (best defensive player available)
Macarthur
I think two interesting positions to watch late are RB & WR. If they go w/ a RB, it might signal that they are willing to let Zeke go earlier than we think. Also WR, because Gallup will be entering his last year and I don't think they re-up him.
jr15aggie
AG
I like your cap meddling... it's fun. But I don't think they move on from Jaylon and I don't think they move on from Tyron. I think they will play the "what if" game again with Tyron. His salary is just too much of a bargain if he can play... definitely a gamble though.

You also have to consider we currently have huge holes all over the place with guys that are no longer under contract. I don't think guys like Sean Lee or Crawford will be back and Looney probably gets paid to start somewhere else. But there are a lot of guys not under contract such as Joe Thomas, Justin March, Antwun Woods, Chido/Jordan Lewis, Cedrick Wilson, Xavier Woods, Aldon Smith, Dalton... that's a lot of cap space regardless of whether we bring these guys back or try and replace them.

We better draft well... out of those 9 or 10 guys listed above, we need at least 5 rookies to step into those roles. Can't afford to pay vet prices for all of those roles/positions.
TyHolden
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

had to try my hand at this. so damn addicting.
If you would have picked up the Minnesota qb with the last pick, you probably would have produced the first A grade on here. Get a bit more for your trades and possibly an A+.
PooDoo
AG
Where there's smoke...
Danny Phantom
Ideally Tyron stays but I'd be surprised if one of him or Jaylon aren't gone.

On the upcoming free agents, Antwuan & C. Wilson are both restricted free agents and will be back on a cheap tender. The others, I wouldn't lose any sleep with them being gone. I'd be okay with signing either Chido, Woods, or Aldon if they take a 1 year deal. If not, don't let the door hit you on the way out. With the cap being lower than expected, many players won't have a strong market and will have to settle for a 1 year deal to become FA next season when the cap spikes. This should be heaven for us since we love to bargain shop. Hopefully we find quality starters & depth for cheap before the draft.

But we have to hit on this upcoming draft, no doubt.
TyHolden
AG
PooDoo said:

Where there's smoke...
there's Grape Soda...
PooDoo
AG
MaximusDMeridius said:

If you would have picked up the Minnesota qb with the last pick, you probably would have produced the first A grade on here. Get a bit more for your trades and possibly an A+.

Getting an A+ wasn't that hard... that's what she said protected.

TyHolden
AG
PooDoo said:

MaximusDMeridius said:

Getting an A+ wasn't that hard... that's what she said protected.

and they wouldn't take that trade unless you threw Dak in with it...
PooDoo
AG
Here's an A
TyHolden
AG
PooDoo said:

Here's an A

we don't need 2 new qbs....yes, the app is flawed towards qbs.
PooDoo
AG
Has another team ever turned down 3 years of draft picks?
TyHolden
AG
PooDoo said:

Has another team ever turned down 3 years of draft picks?
TL is the highest graded QB since Andrew Luck. The Colts went 12-4 the first year after drafting Luck. Not saying the Jags could do that with Dak or TL but the Cowboys haven't won much with Dak and tons of talent (not knocking Dak because I love him but he has no hardware). The Cowboys are almost guaranteed the #19 pick with any qb better than Andy Dalton (not saying much) for at least a couple years. If you're a GM, are you willing to give up the next Andrew Luck for a couple of #19 picks. Nah, I'd rather risk it.

edit: Luck went 11-5 his first season. A rookie record for qb drafted at #1. And they went to the playoffs.
AG

Not sure why the weaver pick and gray pick are C's. i thought those were great value where they were taken. the simulator def gives you high grades for taking QBs (pretty sure ive gotten an A+ every time i have taken Morgan, Mond, Buechele or Mehlinger)
MooreTrucker
AG
A DB named Deablo? Yes please!
MooreTrucker
AG

Not sure why the weaver pick and gray pick are C's. i thought those were great value where they were taken. the simulator def gives you high grades for taking QBs (pretty sure ive gotten an A+ every time i have taken Morgan, Mond, Buechele or Mehlinger)
Those two do NOT go together.
AG
MooreTrucker said:

A DB named Deablo? Yes please!
Guys like him and Nasirildeen from FSU or Sherwood from Auburn, who are in the tweener/hybrid S/LB mold, i would love to add for the type of versatility they could bring (need to add a great coverage safety as well).

Deablo is 6'3", 226
Nasirildeen is 6'4", 220
Sherwood is 6'2", 220
Danny Phantom
Substitute Myles Jones with Kelvin Joseph, a 6'1 CB from Kentucky. If you keep up with recruiting you know he was highly rated signee for LSU. He had 4 INTS in 9 games last year for Kentucky & could be an option if we pass on CB in the first 2 rounds.

Macarthur
These are addictive. LOL...I got one earlier that had Zack Wilson falling to us at 10.

I'm all in for Dak but Wilson would be very tempting.
jr15aggie
AG
Look fellas, when the draft doesn't fall your way (AKA, top defenders get wiped out), sometimes you just have to take the best players available!

AG
Macarthur said:

These are addictive. LOL...I got one earlier that had Zack Wilson falling to us at 10.

I'm all in for Dak but Wilson would be very tempting.

Honestly, thats my hope. Wilson, Fields or Lance drop to 10, then you have a feeding frenzy of teams wanting to move up, then we can slide back a few spots and still have solid options with the later pick.
PooDoo
AG
I couldn't even finish this one...
Saint Pablo
Just did one where Fields went one and Lawrence two.
Saint Pablo
I just did two in a row where Penei Sewell fell to me at 10. First time it gave me an A+ for the pick, the second time an A. Odd.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.