********** Dallas Cowboys 2021 Draft Thread ***********

108,518 Views | 1573 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jr15aggie
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Agree...and one thing you can't say is that Tank doesn't play hard. That dude gives everything he's got every single play.
TyHolden
AG
Macarthur said:

Agree on LBer and RB, but I think DLaw get unfairly criticized. Too many folks look only at sacks.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2021/1/5/22213984/pro-football-focus-thought-highly-demarcus-lawrence-in-2020-tyler-biadasz-also-gets-some-recognition
i was talking about DLaw delaying his surgery until a long-term deal was signed. In the long run, that just hurts everybody.
Macarthur
MaximusDMeridius said:

Macarthur said:

Agree on LBer and RB, but I think DLaw get unfairly criticized. Too many folks look only at sacks.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2021/1/5/22213984/pro-football-focus-thought-highly-demarcus-lawrence-in-2020-tyler-biadasz-also-gets-some-recognition
i was talking about DLaw delaying his surgery until a long-term deal was signed. In the long run, that just hurts everybody.

It certainly may have had an effect on his year, but I have a hard time faulting a player for using what leverage they have. These guys have a very small window to make their money.
jr15aggie
AG
Now that Dak is signed, I'm curious about our draft path now (this is the draft thread afterall).

The defense was broken in many spots last year, but perhaps it's not a bad idea to ensure our offense is back to 100% next year. Drafting an OT might be the best strategy. Sewell at 10 might be a pipe dream, but taking one early in the 2nd round might not be a terrible idea.

Smith has proven he cannot stay healthy and we can save money by releasing him.
PooDoo
AG
DLaw is a good all around DE. His problem is he is being paid like an elite pass rusher because he had career sack totals in his contract year.

We need to avoid a repeat of this by locking up Randy Gregory to a deal before the season starts for a reasonable deal.
Macarthur

Detroit is not going to franchise Golladay....I wonder if they would consider Okudah for Gallup?
Danny Phantom
I think we will wait until the middle rounds to draft one with Steele & Knight having some playing experience & the depth of OT in this class. Some really talented guys will be available rounds 2-4.
Danny Phantom
Greg Newsome from Northwestern

Macarthur
Danny Phantom said:

I think we will wait until the middle rounds to draft one with Steele & Knight having some playing experience & the depth of OT in this class. Some really talented guys will be available rounds 2-4.

this is a really good OT class.
Macarthur
I like Newsome a lot.
Saint Pablo
Macarthur said:

Detroit is not going to franchise Golladay....I wonder if they would consider Okudah for Gallup?
Okudah was drafted third overall last year and is just 22. There is no way they would consider that.
jr15aggie
AG
Also a very talented WR class (which is becoming the norm with the way high schools and colleges are training these kids).

I would agree, no way you trade a pass rusher for a WR... much easier to just get a WR via the draft if you are Detroit.
Danny Phantom
He's really good. His tape & now athleticism show he's a first rounder. Only question mark is his medicals but I don't think it'll knock him out of the first. Could be a potential target if we decide to trade back into the 20's.
Macarthur
Well, most outlets considered him the most disappointing pick in last years draft.

The question is Detroit sour on him? It would be something if they did do this, but they have a new staff so they might be willing to allow a fresh start.
Ag Natural
AG
Apparently Daks contract has 2 voidable years. So its a 6 year deal but only the first 4 have salaries attached. This allows the Cowboys to spread the bonus cap hit over more years.
Danny Phantom
Great numbers for Slater

Saint Pablo
Macarthur said:

Well, most outlets considered him the most disappointing pick in last years draft.

The question is Detroit sour on him? It would be something if they did do this, but they have a new staff so they might be willing to allow a fresh start.
Would be worth a try!

Their defense was so bad last year, I think it would be hard to make long term judgments on some of the young guys.
PooDoo
AG
Fish reports Robinson is being moved back to CB.
PooDoo
AG
Oh, did yall know Daulton Shultz was a twitch streamer?

https://www.twitch.tv/schultzen?sr=a
Danny Phantom
Hypothetical trade: Gallup for Stephon Gilmore

Who says no?
PooDoo
AG
No.

Too old too expensive.
Danny Phantom
He might be old but he's got at least 2 more good seasons. Gallup has 1 season left for us & I doubt we will re sign him. Also he'd only cost $7.3M & I'm sure it could be lowered if we work out an extension.
jr15aggie
AG
I'd be all for moving Gallup for a defender that can help us. Even if it's a guy with an expiring contract, we need defensive help and Gallup is not a luxury we can afford after this year. If there is a team in need of WR help let's see what we can work out.
gigem1223
Gallup for Gilmore straight up is a no-brainer and would be highway robbery for the cowboys.
PooDoo
AG
What kind of draft pick do you think you'd be able to trade Gallup for?
PooDoo
AG
gigem1223 said:

Gallup for Gilmore straight up is a no-brainer and would be highway robbery for the cowboys.

It definitely would help just having a guy like him with the DBs
Danny Phantom
gigem1223
Cowboys pick up a 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th in compensatory draft
jr15aggie
AG
So I guess Tyron Smith will be on the team again. I get that his contract is a bargain, but he can't stay on the field.

Happy we are freeing up cap space though and really love the comp picks. Gonna need all of them and we better find at least 4 defenders that can play and play right away!
Danny Phantom
I think it's a good sign that the front office feels good about his health. Hopefully that surgery he had fixes, or at least tames, his back problems.
Danny Phantom
Also, I know OT is the main thing we've been mocking to the cowboys but I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a OG. Connor Williams has improved since his rookie year but he will be a free agent after this season & we don't have any depth behind him.
gigem1223
Yep. Wouldn't be surprised at all if we take Sewell or Slater in the first or Darrisaw in the 2nd (preferred).
PooDoo
AG
Cavanaugh and Broaddus were talking draft... said they are getting the feeling the Boys will be going Parsons.

Said if we pick up the 5th year for LVE, he'll cost $12 mil... oof.
Ag Natural
AG
I doubt Parsons slips to 10. But if he does I'd be very disappointed if we didn't take him.
jr15aggie
AG
Drafting a LB at 10 is a waste if our DL can't control the line of scrimmage and keep the other teams OL from getting to the 2nd level with their blocks.

I'd still be surprised if we don't take a CB.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.