********** Dallas Cowboys 2021 Draft Thread ***********

108,541 Views | 1573 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jr15aggie
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Danny Phantom said:

I'd be tempted to go back to 13 with the chargers if both Horn & Surtain are available. This would only happen if LA wants to jump the giants for either Sewell or Slater to protect Herbert.

Which would let the best defensive players in the draft fall into NY and Phillys laps. The more I think about it the more I feel like we (unfortunately) earned that top 10 pick and we just need to use it. If the Chargers want to give us a 2nd rounder for our trouble I'm listening.... but right now I'm in no mood to move down just got get another 3rd rounder.
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
Most years I'm all in on trading down. This year I'd be willing to give up 44 and 99 to move back into the back of the first. We need cheap, young studs.
Trucker 96
I actually hate trading down in the 1st. Premium players make champions, and that's where the percentages are with you. Open to it after that though
Southlake
Quinn's defenses were awful at Atlanta. Cowboys defense was awful last year. I'd like to see our first 4 picks on defense.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
I would hate trading down in the first if we dropped into the mid 20s. But if one of the QBs is still there at 10, you could probably move back to 12 or 13 and still get Horn or Surtain.

As an aside, McShays mock has Dallas taking Horn at 10 and Barmore falling to the Boys at 44. Which would be an A+ draft to start. He has NE moving up to 11 to take Fields. So color me intrigued by the possibility of sliding back to 15 and still getting one of the CBs while collecting at least another 2nd. The risk is getting too cute and missing out on your target, but damn it's tempting.
Danny Phantom
I would rather them draft the best defensive player, which isn't a consensus on who it is, than them getting a top WR or OL to gash us running the ball. I wouldn't be scared to face any of these defenders but I would a jaylen waddle, for example. If we trade to 13 we'll more than likely still get one of Surtain & Horn while picking up an extra 3rd. The top 9 would have to play out a certain way to consider that option, though. Im ok with staying at 10 too but just throwing out an option that I'm sure Dallas will look at.
TyHolden
AG
We can talk about the scenarios for weeks but Jerry could very well just trade our second away to grab a cb he is in love with. He's done it before.
PooDoo
AG
A good team would set their board and take the best player available. You'll end up staying average passing on the best player available for a need this season.

F/As and trades for need... draft for BPA.
fatherof4
How much seperation is there between the top 5 cbs? Because Id be intrested in trading down, drafting Newsome or Samuel and getting an extra 2 picks, lets say a 2nd and 3rd in this draft.
jr15aggie
AG
fatherof4 said:

How much seperation is there between the top 5 cbs? Because Id be intrested in trading down, drafting Newsome or Samuel and getting an extra 2 picks, lets say a 2nd and 3rd in this draft.

That's the million $ question. If they are all close, then our options at 10 are wide open.

I'm of the opinion that with the covid craziness there are more questions than answers. I think there are very few prospects that teams have a consensus on. I keep thinking we will stay put and take a guy we feel good about.
AG
jr15aggie said:

fatherof4 said:

That's the million $ question. If they are all close, then our options at 10 are wide open.

I'm of the opinion that with the covid craziness there are more questions than answers. I think there are very few prospects that teams have a consensus on. I keep thinking we will stay put and take a guy we feel good about.

I agree with the first part of this. Which is why I feel like trading down is the best option. Give yourself as many picks and cracks at it as you can. Prime example, It seems like the narrative earlier in the predraft process was a top 3 CBs (Farley, Horn, Surtain) being a tier all to themselves with Newsome, Campbell, Joseph and a couple others being a noticeable rung below. Now it seems like a 5 or 6 CB first tier with several making moves up. It could be bc Newsome testing so well and moved up, or Farley being knocked bc of this back surgery he had (which doesn't sound nearly as bad as some made it out to be) . I just think with so many questions bc of COVID, there is going to be some gold in the mid to later rounds, especially the 2nd and 3rd. I think we'll look back a few years from now and have multiple "I can't believe that guy slid...or can't believe we were so high on that guy". More so than in years past.
Danny Phantom
I think it's Horn & Surtain (top 15)
*gap*
(Mid - late 1st) Farley & Newsome
*gap*
(Late 1- mid 2) Campbell, Melifonwu, Stokes, Joseph & adebo.

I would leave off all corners under 6' for the cowboys because I don't think they'll draft one for this scheme as an outside CB.
fatherof4
I like Surtain and Horn but the possibility of trading down and picking up an offensive lineman and a linebacker in the top 100 picks is pretty nice.
PooDoo
AG
Looks like the type of athlete you don't find just anywhere.
jr15aggie
AG
Wait, I'm confused by that video. I thought the LB's responsibility was to run directly into blocker. And in the off chance somebody else makes a tackle close by, you can then jump on the pile as the runner is going down.

That guy acted like he didn't want to be blocked and too often he was instigating the tackle. He also didn't swipe the ground once.

Pass!
Southlake
William Thomas?
awrollins
Put me on the Horn Hype Train! Dude had amazing stats on a subpar SC defense and a bad DL (more important than you think). Meanwhile, Surtain got to play on Alabama's defense with an extraordinary DL, taking the pressure off of him. Horn is also more athletic and contains that swagger that you see in Jalen Ramsey, etc.... I'm all for Horn at 10!
MooreTrucker
AG
awrollins said:

Put me on the Horn Hype Train! Dude had amazing stats on a subpar SC defense and a bad DL (more important than you think). Meanwhile, Surtain got to play on Alabama's defense with an extraordinary DL, taking the pressure off of him. Horn is also more athletic and contains that swagger that you see in Jalen Ramsey, etc.... I'm all for Horn at 10!
Took me a minute to remember which thread this is.....
jr15aggie
AG
I've heard the Cowboys defense described as "too polite". From what I've read, Horn is a real A-hole on the field. Constantly talking crap to the other team and usually backing it up. I think we need more of that on our team and wouldn't hate the pick.
AG
Agreed. This defense needs a little nasty. more guys like him and Dono, and less LVE and Jaylon Smith
cman1494
AG
With the Panthers trade for Darnold, gotta figure they go either pass catcher or OT at 8 to help him out. That makes it even more likely that the top defender will be there at 10 for us. Or one of Lance, Fields, or Jones is there, meaning a potential trade back.
Grapesoda2525
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Agreed. This defense needs a little nasty. more guys like him and Dono, and less LVE and Jaylon Smith
Jaylon Smith needs to rebound and have a good year.

He's in danger of becoming the next roughned odor of DFW sports.
jr15aggie
AG
cman1494 said:

With the Panthers trade for Darnold, gotta figure they go either pass catcher or OT at 8 to help him out. That makes it even more likely that the top defender will be there at 10 for us. Or one of Lance, Fields, or Jones is there, meaning a potential trade back.

Possibly. They still need help on D but they will be tempted by those top pass catchers and O linemen.

Atlanta at 4 is still the biggest wild card I think... they could go in any direction. I'm of the opinion the real draft begins after they make their pick.

I'm hoping the top offensive guys are too tempting for 4-9 to pass up. Having our pick at our #1 defender would be great. Either way I don't think we'll have to worry about choosing D over Pitts... no way that many teams pass him by, right?
jr15aggie
AG
Just found out that Jayce Horn is Joe Horn's kid. Crazy how it doesn't seem that long ago when these guys were in the league and now all of their kids are filling up NFL rosters. Top 2 CBs definitely have good genes if nothing else!

EDIT: Also just heard Kyle Pitts said Horn was the CB he hated playing against the most.
AG
TE Jeremy Sprinkle signed to one year deal. Guess we aren't drafting Pitts
jr15aggie
AG

Nah... he's just filling Blake Bells vacancy. Cowboys just doing what they always do.... fill holes with boring prospects so their hand isn't forced in the draft. Pitts is still very much on the table, but I seriously doubt he's still on the board at 10.

And technically Dak Prescott was the #1 free agent this year so my take on Dallas being boring in free agency isn't 100% accurate.
Southlake
Pitts seemed a bit soft to me to be a pro level TE. More like a very tall WR.

Not sure he can do the dirty work in the trenches.

Unless we can get one of the top two o- linemen, we need to stack the defense: D-line needs help, linebackers need help, DBs need alot of help.
AG
jr15aggie said:

Nah... he's just filling Blake Bells vacancy. Cowboys just doing what they always do.... fill holes with boring prospects so their hand isn't forced in the draft. Pitts is still very much on the table, but I seriously doubt he's still on the board at 10.

And technically Dak Prescott was the #1 free agent this year so my take on Dallas being boring in free agency isn't 100% accurate.

Sorry, that was my attempt at sarcasm
Danny Phantom
Snowden looks like he would be a great fit for the Bruce Irvin role on our team. Sam LB & situational pass rusher who could rotate with Randy Gregory. Considering his basketball background, I wonder how freaky he would of tested had he been able to participate at his pro day. That play at 2:45 shows he's capable of dropping back & closing the distance in a hurry.
PooDoo
AG
Interesting info... who is this Sammis Reyes?

https://relativeathleticscores.com/2021/01/23/2021-draft-class-ras/
Saint Pablo
PooDoo said:

Interesting info... who is this Sammis Reyes?

https://relativeathleticscores.com/2021/01/23/2021-draft-class-ras/
Former D1 basketball player who participated at another team's pro-day
PooDoo
AG
Paulson Adebo's highlights remind me of Jalen Ramsey's
His measurables are close as well but who can trust these numbers this year.
jr15aggie
AG
Dang it... I said, about a week ago, that taking an offensive player at 10 would handcuff the rest of our draft. But darned if all the recent draft talk hasn't got me on the Pitts bandwagon.

It still feels like Lamb, in that most likely it won't be an option, but it just might!
PooDoo
AG
If Fields drops to 4 why wouldn't the Redskins be very interested? Would not want to play him twice a year.
PooDoo
AG
Dude like this is probably a 10 yrs starter minimum and be had in the late teens.

If Lance drops to 10 and someone gives up some picks to drop... I'd be all for dropping back and taking one of the OL's and the jumping back to the bottom of the 1st to grab a DB like Newsome or Grant.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.