********** Dallas Cowboys 2021 Draft Thread ***********

108,494 Views | 1573 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jr15aggie
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jteagle said:

SI Mock draft has the following.

#44 DT Onwuzurike
75 S Holland
84 CB Adebo

Would be solid although I don't know much about the DT.

I don't know a ton about him, but the guys I listen to love the guy. Fixing the front 7 is a huge priority and I'm not mad at them if that's the pick... him + Parsons and our run D just got a heckuva lot better. Not a terrible start, I'm just worried those other names won't be there in the 3rd.
Danny Phantom
A few notes about Parsons:

• He was recruited as a DE to Penn St (5star) & it shows in his play when blitzing off the edge. On his 1053 interview he said he doesn't have a plan when rushing the passer and he works off instincts & reading OL body movement. I honestly think he could play full time EDGE in the NFL & we will use him a lot as the SAM/DPR.

• Off field incidents: He said on the interview that all those accusations were false and that all charges were dropped. He did say he's made immature mistakes growing up but he is a better person now. (paraphrasing). He seems like a good kid & well spoken so I will choose to believe him.

• First freshman LB in Penn St history to lead team in tackles. First Sophomore to win the Butkus-FItzgerald Big 10 LB of the year award in history.

• He's only played LB for 2 years and it sometimes shows when he plays. He tries to make a play every snap and instead of fitting his gap he will occasionally try slip under his block. It's not a scared to take on blocks approach, because he is plenty physical, but more of a trying to do too much. Good thing is this is coachable because he loves contact.
jr15aggie
AG
I know the word is we love Moehrig, but he's more of a strong safety isn't he? I just think we got a real steal and playmaker out of Dono (6th round pick) and I don't want to draft a guy that might limit his time... we have other spots that need to be filled.

But I'll trust whoever Dan Quinn wants to play football for him.
Danny Phantom
I believe he is more of a FS type. He can interchange & play man too but he is plenty capable of playing centerfield. He's had 26 PBU & 6 INT in the last 2 years so he's always around the ball. Lets hope he slides!
jteagle
AG
Didn't realize Levi Onwuzurike was from Allen.

Positives: Explosive, athletic defensive tackle who has blocked punts in the past. Fires off the snap, gets a lot of force going up the field, and can be tough to stop. Clogs the middle of the line, stands up blockers, and works his hands throughout the action. Bull rushes opponents up the field and collapses the pocket. Very intense and chases the action.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
jr15aggie said:

jteagle said:

SI Mock draft has the following.

#44 DT Onwuzurike
75 S Holland
84 CB Adebo

Would be solid although I don't know much about the DT.

I don't know a ton about him, but the guys I listen to love the guy. Fixing the front 7 is a huge priority and I'm not mad at them if that's the pick... him + Parsons and our run D just got a heckuva lot better. Not a terrible start, I'm just worried those other names won't be there in the 3rd.

From what Ive read, he's about 290 at 6'3", but super explosive. Supposedly isn't the best pass rusher but at his size, is great at eating up blocks. Lots of upside but an unfinished product
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah, that's about what I've heard. Not a huge sack guy, but he is disruptive and gets in the backfield which helps muddy up pass or running plays. Uh, yeah, we need some of that.
Danny Phantom
I'd be willing to bet Levi O is ranked higher on our board than Barmore
jteagle
AG
Just saw another mock that had the Cowboys taking Bobby Brown with the 99th pick.
jr15aggie
AG
I think what I really like about Holland at 44 is he's a cover guy. We didn't get a CB in round 1 and we will draft at least one at some point, but in the meantime I'm not concerned if we go safety if that guy can cover. Holland spent plenty of time coming down and covering WRs much like Woodson did back in the day. I'll take it and I like the fit!
AG
Yeah, I like the positional flexibility he brings.

And Bobby Brown at 99 would make me happy. Maroon glasses off, I think he's going to be a solid solid pro and people are going to wonder why he fell so far
Danny Phantom
Probably BS but that would of been fun to see

Macarthur
jr15aggie said:

I know the word is we love Moehrig, but he's more of a strong safety isn't he? I just think we got a real steal and playmaker out of Dono (6th round pick) and I don't want to draft a guy that might limit his time... we have other spots that need to be filled.

Moehrig is a FS type and he even played a ton in the slot. He's pretty rare that he's a solid tackler and can still do all the things you need in coverage.
jr15aggie
AG
I read in HS he was also a STUD RB.

You have to like taking a guy that is just oozing with pure God given talent! The guy's measureables are off the chart and when you turn on the tape the guy is everywhere.

I think he brings a similar thing to our D that Horn would have... the guy just gets after it and will lead by the way he plays. I hope it's contagious!
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

jr15aggie said:

Moehrig is a FS type and he even played a ton in the slot. He's pretty rare that he's a solid tackler and can still do all the things you need in coverage.

Good deal, thanks. I had sorta assumed he was more of a SS since he played next to Washington who's tiny (I also happen to love the way Washington plays the game... if he's around in the 4th I'm interested for sure).

Early word that I'm hearing for day 2 is Moehrig won't be around very long. If we want him, according to the trade value chart, we'll have to give away the pick Philly gave us. And if that is indeed their guy, I'm totally cool with that. Trade down in the 1st, get a stud, and then leverage what you gained to get another guy that I'm pretty sure the Cowboys have a 1st round grade on. Would be a helluva good start to our draft!
Danny Phantom
Definitely an alpha on the field
Ozzy Osbourne
Scuttlebutt on the Interwebs says Tyson Campbell is going @ 33.
jr15aggie
AG
I find it interesting the guys that said Slater would have been a better pick once the CBs were gone (not just guys here, guys I listen to as well).

There were multiple O-line needy teams that passed on Slater before us. The NY Giants even traded away from him. I'm not sure how you can knock the Cowboys when O-line, in terms of need, is behind every position on defense.

We have blanks on our depth chart at LB, S, & CB. Why should we have taken an O-lineman with our first pick which would force us to take a perfectly capable player (Connor) and put them on the bench!?! I'm sorry, that just doesn't make any sense.
jteagle
AG
jr15aggie said:

I find it interesting the guys that said Slater would have been a better pick once the CBs were gone (not just guys here, guys I listen to as well).

There were multiple O-line needy teams that passed on Slater before us. The NY Giants even traded away from him. I'm not sure how you can knock the Cowboys when O-line, in terms of need, is behind every position on defense.

We have blanks on our depth chart at LB, S, & CB. Why should we have taken an O-lineman with our first pick which would force us to take a perfectly capable player (Connor) and put them on the bench!?! I'm sorry, that just doesn't make any sense.
I've heard that as well but I have heard more people say that we either got a steal at #12 or that we got the best defensive player in the draft. Two or three "experts" say he will make an immediate impact.
jr15aggie
AG
Yes, I have also heard many people say "he was the best defensive player on my board". So many talking points revolved around CB, and for good reason, that a lot of people really didn't focus on just how good Parsons is.

I also keep hearing more comments that Parsons was #1 defender on the Cowboys board as well. Taking a CB was certainly a possibility and it's a more premium spot so they very well might have valued CB more, but Parsons was their top rated defender.
Danny Phantom
Parsons will 100% make more of an impact than Slater day 1. The biggest gripe regarding Parsons comes from the group think from cowboys Twitter journalists. They all have the same though that off ball linebackers aren't valuable. Now, regardless if you agree or not, saying Parsons is strictly an off ball linebacker is a huge disservice to his skill set. It's disappointing that a CB didn't make it to 10, but don't let that disappointment overshadow the fact we got a badass football player who will impact games every week.
jr15aggie
AG
Not to mention that stopping the run and getting to the QB was problem #1 for our defense.

I even said it myself, we have holes at CB and S that we absolutely have to fill and I was fully on board filling that with our 1st & 2nd pick. But improving our front 7 with a guy that will make us better stopping the run as well as pressuring the QB... It's a big win considering we picked up a 3rd for our "trouble".
TyHolden
AG

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2021/04/30/dallas-cowboys-draft-pick-micah-parsons-early-favorite-to-win-defensive-rookie-of-the-year/
Quote:

According to odds released Friday from BetOnline, the newest addition to the Cowboys' roster has opened as the favorite to win next year's NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year award.
Southlake
Yeah, Slater is a better pick, but not for the Cowboys.

My only caveat is a small gamble on players who have sat out a year.

Cowboys sorely needed defense and that's exactly what they got.

Of course the O line is a mystery...let's get a couple soon
cman1494
AG

Looks like Ced Wilson is switching numbers so Micah can be #11. I wonder if Micah paid him out or if the team forced it...
jr15aggie
AG
When you are a 6th round pick and you've got to bring it every single day just to keep your roster spot.... I can't imagine you make much of a fuss when Jerry's new favorite adopted son wants your jersey number!
Carlo4
AG
Let's trade some 3s and 4s and get a few additional second rounders in defense.
jr15aggie
AG
If we want a trade up partner in the 2nd, I'm looking at the Jets. They do not have a 3rd round pick and I bet they'd like to have that pick we got from Philly as payment for us moving up 10 spots.

But man, we are in really great shape with tons of top talent still on the board. Not to mention plenty of oline needy teams drafting ahead of us. We should land a stud at a need position even at 44.

Edit: Looks like I wasn't the only one with this idea. NFL Network just reported on this pick in particular... Jets getting a whole lot of interest for pick 34. Won't be cheap to move up if demand is high.
Grapesoda2525
Remember the effect rolando McClain had on our defense? Parsons is probably better than that guy. People should still be stoked about this pick.
jr15aggie
AG
Some of the top players still available:

JOK -LB
Ojulari - Edge
Barmore - DT
Bolton- LB
Mayfield - OG
Jenkins - OT
Ossai- Edge
Campbell - CB
Basham - Edge
Moehrig - S
Samuel - CB
Dickerson - C
Nixon - DT
Onwuzurike - DT
Eichenbeeg - OT
Molden - CB
Cosmi - OT
Moore - WR
Holland - S
Melifonwu - CB

That's a lot of names if we want to sit still at 44. But, at a guess, the Cowboys have a first round grade on Moehrig and world really like to get up there and get him.
Grapesoda2525
jr15aggie said:

JOK -LB
Ojulari - Edge
Barmore - DT
Bolton- LB
Mayfield - OG
Jenkins - OT
Ossai- Edge
Campbell - CB
Basham - Edge
Moehrig - S
Samuel - CB
Dickerson - C
Nixon - DT
Onwuzurike - DT
Eichenbeeg - OT
Molden - CB
Cosmi - OT
Moore - WR
Holland - S
Melifonwu - CB

That's a lot of names if we want to sit still at 44. But, at a guess, the Cowboys have a first round grade on Moehrig and world really like to get up there and get him.

I would really like to get Barmore and Holland, but I always get burned when I get excited about a decent- good safety dropping to us and we always go in another direction. They need to draft a safety both for the defense and to shut people like me up who say they don't value the position. Which they clearly didn't while Garrett was here.
Danny Phantom
Danny Phantom
Wonder what it will take to trade up to 34 for what I assume is for Moherig.

Based on the Jimmy Johnson model the difference between 34 (560) & 44 (460) is 100.

Pick 84 = 170
Pick 99 = 104

Now, we will probably have to overpay since we don't have the best relationship with the Jets (Adams) but I wonder if pick 99 + pick 115 (64) does it. That would leave us with pick 75 + 84 in the 3rd round to address CB, OL, or DL.
jteagle
AG
jr15aggie said:

JOK -LB
Ojulari - Edge
Barmore - DT
Bolton- LB
Mayfield - OG
Jenkins - OT
Ossai- Edge
Campbell - CB
Basham - Edge
Moehrig - S
Samuel - CB
Dickerson - C
Nixon - DT
Onwuzurike - DT
Eichenbeeg - OT
Molden - CB
Cosmi - OT
Moore - WR
Holland - S
Melifonwu - CB

Grant S

also available which I saw some mocks with him as the Dallas picks.
AG
Danny Phantom said:

Wonder what it will take to trade up to 34 for what I assume is for Moherig.

Based on the Jimmy Johnson model the difference between 34 (560) & 44 (460) is 100.

Pick 84 = 170
Pick 99 = 104

Now, we will probably have to overpay since we don't have the best relationship with the Jets (Adams) but I wonder if pick 99 + pick 115 (64) does it. That would leave us with pick 75 + 84 in the 3rd round to address CB, OL, or DL.

Wish we wouldn't have to move up that far to get him. Kipers round 2 mock has Moerhig going 41. Damn, if we couldn't trade up with Denver at 40 and only have to give up a late rounder. Would be so much more palatable and not having to give up a day two pick l.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.