********** Dallas Cowboys 2021 Draft Thread ***********

108,412 Views | 1573 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jr15aggie
Trucker 96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The best team that had an extremely mediocre defense that couldn't stop anyone when it mattered. I will take the guy who had 9 picks in his first 3 years in the league while the Cowboys best DB had 2. The multiple All Pro.

The OL had a ton to do with Zeke's success in 2016.
birdman
Yall have forgotten what happened.

Cowboys wanted Bosa. Chargers surprised everyone by picking him.
Trucker 96
I would have preferred Bosa over Ramsey. But I still would have taken Ramsey over Zeke
Ag Natural
AG
I wanted Zeke over Ramsey. Remember, the Cowboys burned a 1st round pick the year before on Byron Jones. That combined with Ramseys attitude and the Morris Claiborne disaster has me gun shy for spending top 10 picks on CBs. I really wanted Bosa.

I also don't think anyone predicted that Henry would slip to the 2nd round. So in the moment Zeke seemed like a safe pick and one that addressed a dire need for a team ready to win for Romo.

Ramsey could have just easily melted down in Dallas as he did in Jax. Hes not the best player in LA and I think that keeps him in check.
birdman
Frankly the Cowboys didn't make a good Plan B. They knew they were taking Bosa. They did try to trade down but had a weak hand and 20 minutes to make a deal. Dallas couldn't get any decent offers. So they took the best player on their board.

Ramsey would have been better. But zero percent of Cowboy problems are from Zeke. He's played well.
Danny Phantom
If you pick Ramsey then you probably don't draft bossman fat. Sorry, but that's not a sacrifice I'm willing to make.
Macarthur
Looking more at these UFA signings, the Ralston kid is really interesting. FB/H-Back type....good blocker and can catch.

Also, TJ Vasher has insane length and makes some incredible catches, esp in the red zone.
Danny Phantom
Macarthur said:

Looking more at these UFA signings, the Ralston kid is really interesting. FB/H-Back type....good blocker and can catch.

Also, TJ Vasher has insane length and makes some incredible catches, esp in the red zone.
Literally watching Ralston right now. Here are his 25 minute highlights of straight grit!!
JWinTX
Well, Jalen Ramsey didn't score a 4 on the wonderlic like Morris Claiborne did. As is par for the course with Jerrah, talent is all he sees. Character never matters. And that's why we have these types of players that end up falling apart, as the owner falls for it every time, like he is Charlie Brown going to kick the ball with Lucy holding...
jteagle
AG
Danny Phantom said:

Macarthur said:

Literally watching Ralston right now. Here are his 25 minute highlights of straight grit!!

Dang! I bet he wakes up looking for someone to hit! It doesn't matter who's in front of him, he's going to block him!
Grapesoda2525
Trucker 96
If this is the culture now, I'm in!
Ag Natural
AG
JWinTX said:

Well, Jalen Ramsey didn't score a 4 on the wonderlic like Morris Claiborne did. As is par for the course with Jerrah, talent is all he sees. Character never matters. And that's why we have these types of players that end up falling apart, as the owner falls for it every time, like he is Charlie Brown going to kick the ball with Lucy holding...

Well Ramsey was a major locker room problem in Jax.
Trucker 96
And Zeke and his personal baggage did wonders for the team in 2017. Then again in 2019 when he holds out with 2 years left on his deal while the team is in the midst of trying to go for it. After 2016, he's been a nonstop case of "it's always something". Suspension, getting fat, holdout, fumblitis, production issues
PooDoo
AG
Danny Phantom said:

Macarthur said:

Beast status confirmed!
Kellso
Fore Left! said:

The best team that had an extremely mediocre defense that couldn't stop anyone when it mattered. I will take the guy who had 9 picks in his first 3 years in the league while the Cowboys best DB had 2. The multiple All Pro.

The OL had a ton to do with Zeke's success in 2016.
Yes....and as I keep stating a single cornerback like Jalen Ramsey would not have been enough to make the Cowboys a great defense because he is not a defensive end or tackle.

Would Ramsey have all of those interceptions in Dallas without that fantastic Jacksonville pass rush? How would he do with the non existent pass rush that the Cowboys D would have provided him.

The Cowboys went with the sure thing and it worked.

Do you know why when you look at a Hall of Fame player (lets say an Aaron Rodgers, or Ed Reed) and then you look at all the marginal and mediocre players that were drafted around them and wonder why other teams missed.....its typically because they followed some antiquated "rule" about drafting.

I remember when you weren't supposed to draft a quarterback shorter than 6'4 at the top of the draft until Aaron Rodgers made all the teams that passed him up look stupid.

Ed Reed lasted until the bottom of the 1st round (despite an amazing college career at Miami) because he's not over 6 ft.

If you have a top 10 draft pick then you have to go BPA.
If Penei Sewell or Kyle Pitts would have lasted until 10 I would have taken them regardless of the Cowboys needs on defense, because you can always pick up good defensive players in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Once Joey Bosa came off the board there were no other players graded at the level of Ezekiel Elliott. The Cowboys won 3 Super Bowls with the combination of a great tailback and a great offensive line.
Their last two really good teams in 2014 and 2016 followed this combination.

I was 100% wrong when I initially thought it was a bad idea to take Zeke Elliot that high after I watched the Dallas Cowboys go 13-3 with a rookie quarterback in 2016.

TheCougarHunter
AG
He was outstanding as a rookie but he also had the best OL in the league. Then he tanked the Cowboys season next year by getting suspended for half the season. Then he held out and went to Cabo instead of training camp and started the season fat and slow. Now he's already a step slower and is a huge drain on the cap. Meanwhile Ramsey will be a pro bowl corner for years to come.

Jerry's still living in the 90's when a franchise RB and linebackers won championships. That's why they haven't sniffed a conference championship in 25+ years.
jr15aggie
AG
1 x First team all Pro
1 x 2nd team all Pro
2 x NFL Rushing Champion
3 x Pro Bowler

7,700 total yards and 55 TDs in 5 years. Some of y'all need to find something better to do than pretend Dallas made such a terrible pick in 2016.
TyHolden
AG
jr15aggie said:

1 x First team all Pro
1 x 2nd team all Pro
2 x NFL Rushing Champion
3 x Pro Bowler

7,700 total yards and 55 TDs in 5 years. Some of y'all need to find something better to do than pretend Dallas made such a terrible pick in 2016.
now list the all pro and pro bowl offensive lineman during those years. It's long and distinguished.../mother goose.
jr15aggie
AG
Listening to "fans" cry about 2016 when all I want to do is enjoy/talk about this weekends draft:

They were abused children.... /mother goose
jtstanley4621
AG
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28484451/former-nittany-lions-player-files-federal-lawsuit-james-franklin-penn-state-hazing?platform=amp

Anyone hear about this? Parsons was involved with some gross hazing at Penn State. Franklin and the staff essentially did nothing
PatAg
AG
jr15aggie said:

Listening to "fans" cry about 2016 when all I want to do is enjoy/talk whine about this weekends draft:

They were abused children.... /mother goose
insert winky emoji here
PatAg
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28484451/former-nittany-lions-player-files-federal-lawsuit-james-franklin-penn-state-hazing?platform=amp

Anyone hear about this? Parsons was involved with some gross hazing at Penn State. Franklin and the staff essentially did nothing
Yea, that's something that was discussed quite a bit already during the draft and probabyl after it too
Macarthur
Will McClay talked and two things he said was an emphasis...

Speed and Length.

If you go look at all these guys, they are all fast/quick and they all have huge wingspans for their respective positions. I thought this was really interesting.
MookieBlaylock
AG
jr15aggie said:

1 x First team all Pro
1 x 2nd team all Pro
2 x NFL Rushing Champion
3 x Pro Bowler

7700 is not a lot. Considering Henry ran for 2k last year

They made the correct choice but Fat Zeke hasnt lived up to gis end of the bargain
digital_ag
AG
Zeke was phenomenal as a rookie and shown flashes of that since but he's mostly been a disappointment lately. I'm not even sure he was the best RB on the roster in 2020.

I don't regret the Zeke pick but I strongly regret resigning him with 2 years left on his contract.

The real draft travesty was Taco over TJ.
Kellso
MaximusDMeridius said:

jr15aggie said:

1 x First team all Pro
1 x 2nd team all Pro
2 x NFL Rushing Champion
3 x Pro Bowler

now list the all pro and pro bowl offensive lineman during those years. It's long and distinguished.../mother goose.
Who Cares??????????

The reason you draft Zeke Elliot is that you are pairing a dominant tailback with a dominant offensive line.

You don't draft Zeke if your offensive line is average.
jtstanley4621
AG
So I'm for sure late to the party on this one but I am rooting hard for Bossman Fat to develop into a good player. I want to be able to yell BOSSMAN FAT at my TV when he makes plays
Kellso
TheCougarHunter said:

He was outstanding as a rookie but he also had the best OL in the league. Then he tanked the Cowboys season next year by getting suspended for half the season. Then he held out and went to Cabo instead of training camp and started the season fat and slow. Now he's already a step slower and is a huge drain on the cap. Meanwhile Ramsey will be a pro bowl corner for years to come.

Jerry's still living in the 90's when a franchise RB and linebackers won championships.
That's why they haven't sniffed a conference championship in 25+ years.
Kind of interesting that you just completely skipped the 2018 season where Ezekiel Elliot leads the league in rushing (for the 2nd time) has over 2,000 yards from scrimmage.

and the Cowboys do something that they don't do a whole lot of anymore....which is win a playoff game.

This wouldn't be because you have an agenda? Naw......
and again with these stupid rules. Who the hell says you can't win a Super Bowl with a dominant offensive line and running attack?
jr15aggie
AG
Word is the Cowboys have told LVE's agent they are declining his 5th year option.
Kellso
digital_ag said:

Zeke was phenomenal as a rookie and shown flashes of that since but he's mostly been a disappointment lately. I'm not even sure he was the best RB on the roster in 2020.

I don't regret the Zeke pick but I strongly regret resigning him with 2 years left on his contract.

The real draft travesty was Taco over TJ.
Zeke led the league in yards per game is his first 3 seasons in the NFL.
He's had one bad year...which was last year.

If Zeke can run for 1,500 to 1,700 yards this season the Cowboys will be very, very good. This would entail the offensive line being healthy and dominant again.

This idea that there is only one way to skin a cat, or that you can't win in the NFL with a dominant rushing attack is silly

Macarthur
Wonder if anyone has been listening to the Ticket.

I"m typically on board with Jake, but I think he's way off on his takes.

Also, Norm went off on them for not moving up to get someone he thought they needed. Also, Norm lost his mind this weekend because they didn't take a FB he thought they should...a freaking FB.

I'm not saying that Dallas hit 1.000 and all these guys will be great, but if there is one thing you can say is that they had a profile of characteristics and they stuck with that and drafted those guys. I have no issue there...they with out question had a plan and that's more than we can say for drafts in the past.

jr15aggie
AG
I'm hearing similar things around the league with fans & writers. Their team didn't take enough names they were familiar with so lots of people not happy with draft picks.

In years past it was a bit easier... between the combine, pro days, bringing players in for personal work outs, etc. these sport writers got pretty good at putting the puzzle together. They start cluing us in on certain names because they have full access to coaches, players, etc and they get a good idea about who we like. This applies to later round guys as well... as an example, Xavier Woods name was pretty well known going into the draft... getting him in the 6th felt like a crazy steal because we knew the name. None of us had any idea if he was actually any good or not.
Kellso
Macarthur said:

Wonder if anyone has been listening to the Ticket.

I"m typically on board with Jake, but I think he's way off on his takes.

Also, Norm went off on them for not moving up to get someone he thought they needed. Also, Norm lost his mind this weekend because they didn't take a FB he thought they should...a freaking FB.

I'm not saying that Dallas hit 1.000 and all these guys will be great, but if there is one thing you can say is that they had a profile of characteristics and they stuck with that and drafted those guys. I have no issue there...they with out question had a plan and that's more than we can say for drafts in the past.

After the Morris Claiborne debacle I'm not into to trading up anymore unless its for an absolute position of need.

We really don't know how good these players are going to be.

The more draft picks that you have the more you can make mistakes.
I like the idea of getting extra 3rd and 4th round players because if you draft well those players should be starters.

Let say we trade up to get Surtain or Horn, and the guy we draft in the 2nd round ends up just as good.
Now we are out an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick when Joseph might give you the same production with a much lower price tag, and without having to lose a pick.

That's not even taken into account that both of those guys could end up being another Morris Claiborne; which would be an average player drafted way too high.

Michah Parsons: I honestly cannot remember the last defensive rookie (maybe DeMarcus Ware) I was this excited to see play.
If he can be 75% of Von Miller then the Cowboys draft was a success. They picked him up, as well as an additional defensive starter in the 3rd round.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Cant recall which draft expert i was listening to, might have been Warren Sharp, but he was contending that trading up rarely nets you the win you hope for, especially considering the draft capital you end up giving up in order to do so. That teams are much better off holding pat or trading down. For every Mahomes or Julio Jones, you have way more Morris Claibornes, Mitch Trubiskys, Paxton Lynches, Johnny Manziels, and Jared Goffs. Equated it to playing black jack. yes, you dont need to split Aces or 8, and sometimes you might still win by not doing it, but the numbers say that if you do, you will be significantly more successful in the long run.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.