********** Dallas Cowboys 2021 Draft Thread ***********

108,505 Views | 1573 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jr15aggie
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, Joseph should start day 1. He's 1st round cover ability so the coaches and captain's need to get him in line.

At the very least Parsons and Bossman Fat need to bring some change to our D
jteagle
AG
jr15aggie said:

Yeah, Joseph should start day 1. He's 1st round cover ability so the coaches and captain's need to get him in line.

At the very least Parsons and Bossman Fat need to bring some change to our D

Anybody know what he got suspended for it LSU?
jr15aggie
AG
Weed I think. Him and Randy gonna be bros
Southlake
Well, that was pretty underwhelming.

Glad we got Parsons but nobody else has any wow factor. Never got that Safety. Meh.
tk for tu juan
Just signed a UDFA safety from Purdue
PooDoo
AG
jteagle said:

tk for tu juan said:

Josh Ball transferred from FSU after slapping and injuring his girlfriend, and pushing her because she didn't answer a text fast enough

Let's hope he has grown up and learned from his mistakes.

I read on twitter that there were 11 incidents... not sure how accurate that is.
Kellso
Southlake said:

Glad we got Parsons but nobody else has any wow factor. Never got that Safety. Meh.
Who would you have drafted?

I'm ecstatic about this draft. The Cowboys will have at least 3 new starters on their defense, and way more depth at defensive back.

If Parsons is halfway decent at rushing the passer then this draft will be a success. What's been missing from the Cowboys(for the past 20 years) is elite talent and depth on the defensive side of the ball.

Aren't you guy that kept going on about what a bad draft pick Ezekiel Elliott was....even after the Cowboys went from 4-12 in 2015 to 13-3 in 2016?
TyHolden
AG
Kellso said:

Southlake said:

Aren't you guy that kept going on about what a bad draft pick Ezekiel Elliott was....even after the Cowboys went from 4-12 in 2015 to 13-3 in 2016?
I'll back him up on how bad picking up Zeke over Jalen Ramsey was....RBs not named Adrian Peterson are not worth it in 1st round anymore. It's a RB by committee league.
TyHolden
AG
And I've already seen an overall A- come out for us...
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Reported UDFA so far:

Brenden Knox, RB, Marshall
Osirus Mitchell, WR, Mississippi State
Tyler Coyle, S, Purdue
Artayvious Lynn, TE, TCU
JaQuan Hardy, RB, Tiffin
Brandon Smith, WR, Iowa
Anthony Hines III, LB, Texas A&M( Whoop!)
Brennan Eagles, WR, Texas
TJ Vasher, WR, Texas Tech
Braylon Jones, OL, Houston
AG
Ardarius Washington signing with the Ravens. Poop.
Danny Phantom
Anthony Hines is interesting. I think he would of made the team if we didn't pick Cox, but he still has a shot if he excels on special teams.

His chances will only increase if we cut Jaylon with a post june 1 saving $7.2M. Probably not, but it's something that I'm sure Stephen will think hard about.
Grapesoda2525
Danny Phantom said:

Anthony Hines is interesting. I think he would of made the team if we didn't pick Cox, but he still has a shot if he excels on special teams.

His chances will only increase if we cut Jaylon with a post june 1 saving $7.2M. Probably not, but it's something that I'm sure Stephen will think hard about.
After seeing his play last year, I wouldn't mind moving on from jaylon.
powerbelly
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Danny Phantom said:

After seeing his play last year, I wouldn't mind moving on from jaylon.

Jaylon seems to care more about his business than being a good football player. I think it's clear we should move on.
Danny Phantom
New WR Simi Fehoko vs UCLA. Awesome game outside of the two drops & he finished it off with a game winning TD.

Kellso
MaximusDMeridius said:

Kellso said:

Southlake said:

I'll back him up on how bad picking up Zeke over Jalen Ramsey was....RBs not named Adrian Peterson are not worth it in 1st round anymore. It's a RB by committee league.
Jalen Ramsey without an adequate pass rush would not have helped Dallas at all in 2016.

The Cowboys would not have gone 13-3 in 2016 without Ezekiel Elliott.

If you have a top 10 pick then that guy has got to contribute immediately. The Cowboys could not afford to draft another Morriss Claiborne.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Zeke was truly special that year

Now he is a fat overpaid drain on the team
Danny Phantom
Kelvin Joseph probably has the best hips in the draft. Look at the way he changes directions during these drills. Another interesting thing is that he ran a 1.44 10 yard split, which I believe would be the fastest in NFL combine history. To compare, John Ross had a 1.49. Maybe it's because of the pro day but I bet they had a laser clocking it at Kentucky's pro day, too.

jr15aggie
AG
Boss Man has crazy athleticism. And his tape is as good as anybody. If we can keep him focused and pointed in the right direction we got a helluva good player.

That's I decent sized IF though.
TyHolden
AG
Kellso said:

MaximusDMeridius said:

Kellso said:

Southlake said:

Jalen Ramsey without an adequate pass rush would not have helped Dallas at all in 2016.

If you have a top 10 pick then that guy has got to contribute immediately. The Cowboys could not afford to draft another Morriss Claiborne.
Cowboys could have drafted Ramsey and still picked up Derrick Henry with their second round pick and probably gone 13-3 or even better because Jaylon Smith didn't even play in 2016. Many had Ramsey as the top overall, can't miss player coming out in the 2015 draft. Ramsey is still an all-pro corner and probably will be for several more years. Zeke will probably get cut after next season. We drafted Zeke to take the pressure off Romo because of his injury in 2015 (hence the horrible 2015 record). We had one of the best offensive lines in the history of the nfl. Romo got hurt in pre-season and we used Dak for his dual threat capabilities that year because he was a rookie qb and we barely tested his arm. Dez was pissed throughout 2016 because he was no longer getting the deep ball that Romo loved to throw.
If we really wanted Zeke in the 2015 draft, we should of at least traded back for more picks. The next RB, Derrick Henry, wasn't chosen until 45. Sure, we got 3-4 good years out of Zeke but in the end, we screwed ourselves again when we overpaid to keep him because Garrett's job was on the line. So, looking back, we over-drafted Zeke to save Romo's ass and then overpaid him to save Garrett's. In the end, the only one happy is Zeke. I hope he proves me wrong and has an incredible year next year but I think he benefitted from a great o-line and will be gone after next season.
Kellso
MaximusDMeridius said:

Kellso said:

MaximusDMeridius said:

Kellso said:

Southlake said:

Cowboys could have drafted Ramsey and still picked up Derrick Henry with their second round pick and probably gone 13-3 or even better because Jaylon Smith didn't even play in 2016. Many had Ramsey as the top overall, can't miss player coming out in the 2015 draft. Ramsey is still an all-pro corner and probably will be for several more years. Zeke will probably get cut after next season. We drafted Zeke to take the pressure off Romo because of his injury in 2015 (hence the horrible 2015 record). We had one of the best offensive lines in the history of the nfl. Romo got hurt in pre-season and we used Dak for his dual threat capabilities that year because he was a rookie qb and we barely tested his arm. Dez was pissed throughout 2016 because he was no longer getting the deep ball that Romo loved to throw.
If we really wanted Zeke in the 2015 draft, we should of at least traded back for more picks. The next RB, Derrick Henry, wasn't chosen until 45. Sure, we got 3-4 good years out of Zeke but in the end, we screwed ourselves again when we overpaid to keep him because Garrett's job was on the line. So, looking back, we over-drafted Zeke to save Romo's ass and then overpaid him to save Garrett's. In the end, the only one happy is Zeke. I hope he proves me wrong and has an incredible year next year but I think he benefitted from a great o-line and will be gone after next season.
Your entire post is a hypothetical that cannot be proven.

Ezekiel Elliott joined a team that went 4-12 in 2015 and the next season was 13-3.
And again....a single cornerback was NOT going to solve the Cowboys defensive issues. A defensive end or tackle...sure, but not a cornerback.

Drafting a cornerback and thinking that single player would solve the cowboys mediocre defense is wishful thinking. This is a totally different subject if we are talking about a defensive end, or DT on the talent level of a Joey Bosa, or Aaron Donald.

Kellso
This point isn't aimed directly at you, but I get tired of hearing people spout these supposed "rules" that you have to follow when drafting.

You can't draft a tailback in the 1st round.....but it might not be a bad idea if the guy is supremely talented and you already have a monster offensive line.

You can't draft a linebacker that high because the game is played differently...well what if Parsons end up being the next Ray Lewis, or Lawrence Taylor?

The draft is ultimately about upgrading the talent level of your team.
Trucker 96
If they take Ramsey 1, then maybe the cards of the draft fall to where they don't get Dak, which landing him was obviously the most important thing of that draft. But I'll say this, there hasn't been a day since April 2016 that I wouldn't have traded Zeke/Jaylon for Ramsey/Henry
jr15aggie
AG
Kellso said:

This point isn't aimed directly at you, but I get tired of hearing people spout these supposed "rules" that you have to follow when drafting.

I think the only rule, when drafting in the top 10, is to make sure you get one of the drafts premium players. We accomplished that with Zeke and we accomplished that with Parsons.
Kellso
The Oregon St cornerback.....was he the same guy that was featured on the Last Chance U Oakland season?
Macarthur
jr15aggie said:

Boss Man has crazy athleticism. And his tape is as good as anybody. If we can keep him focused and pointed in the right direction we got a helluva good player.

That's I decent sized IF though.
Agree. If the pot thing hadn't slowed him down, he's a first rounder and is higher ranked than Diggs.
Macarthur
One name to keep an eye on that they signed in FA. Eubanks the TE out of Michigan. This guy had a very good 19 and was poised to have a great year and be a second day type guy. Didn't have a great 20 but there are good tools there.
Danny Phantom
I believe that was his younger brother, but Nahson was at Laney 2017-2018. He didn't play in 17 & moved from WR to CB for the first time in 18. His first year at CB he got 4 INT's & helped Laney win the state championship
TyHolden
AG
Kellso said:

MaximusDMeridius said:

Kellso said:

MaximusDMeridius said:

Kellso said:

Southlake said:

Ezekiel Elliott joined a team that went 4-12 in 2015 and the next season was 13-3.
And again....a single cornerback was NOT going to solve the Cowboys defensive issues. A defensive end or tackle...sure, but not a cornerback.

Drafting a cornerback and thinking that single player would solve the cowboys mediocre defense is wishful thinking. This is a totally different subject if we are talking about a defensive end, or DT on the talent level of a Joey Bosa, or Aaron Donald.

We rushed for 1890 yards in 2015 (without Romo or Dez playing)
We rushed for 2396 yards in 2016 (with 500-600 of that coming from Dak and Alfred Morris). Again, using Dak's dual threat capabilities

We could have easily drafted Zeke later, Derrick Henry 5 positions earlier than his actual draft position, or found anybody to run behind our behemoth line.

RBs are not worth early round pics if you want to develop depth at the core positions (QB, WR, CB, DL).

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/2/25/17050014/seattle-seahawks-nfl-draft-return-running-back-positions-drafted-performance-receiver-line-db-lb-dl

History of RBs taken. Most of the 1st round picks having never sniffed the playoffs. It's a different league and you have to draft accordingly.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/rb

Although I agree that getting Zeke later, Henry in the 2nd, or another decent rb in that draft is complete hindsight. I also believe though based on recent draft history, the nfl changing the rules, and the current rb shelf life, RBs are going to continue to be devalued and their stock will continue to fall. The Patriots created a dynasty and I can't remember one of their RBs (oh wait, I remember the 5'6, 170 lb kid that played 4-5 years in the league)

And yes, if I had a flux capacitor, I would draft Ramsey/Henry for Zeke/Smith all day.

jtstanley4621
AG
To me it's simple: would you rather have Zeke, Smith and Dak or Ramsey, Henry and Dak? The answer is IMO clear
AG
I would agree with all this. If I could turn back time, 100% would I take Ramsey and pass on Zeke. Hell, I think I felt that way at the time, or at least gone someone else(deforest Buckner?) and done RB later(other RBs taken that draft beside Zeke and Henry; Kenyon drake, Jordan Howard, JD McKissic). Yea I realize those talents don't compare to Zeke, but they would have run for a **** ton of yards behind our line.

The ****ty thing about these kind of hypotheticals is, the butterfly effect. So we take Ramsey instead, Jacksonville doesn't necessarily take Zeke, so now they take someone else and the entire rest of the draft gets shaken up. Someone else slides and is available in the 4th so that we don't take Dak. Or the QB run starts earlier or later and we end up with Hackenburg or Cardale Jones...****ing gross
hph6203
AG
Would have a real hard time rooting for Ramsey. Guy seems like a pretty sizable pain in the ass.
Kellso
MaximusDMeridius said:

Kellso said:

MaximusDMeridius said:

Kellso said:

MaximusDMeridius said:

Kellso said:

Southlake said:

We rushed for 1890 yards in 2015 (without Romo or Dez playing)
We rushed for 2396 yards in 2016 (with 500-600 of that coming from Dak and Alfred Morris). Again, using Dak's dual threat capabilities

We could have easily drafted Zeke later, Derrick Henry 5 positions earlier than his actual draft position, or found anybody to run behind our behemoth line.

RBs are not worth early round pics if you want to develop depth at the core positions (QB, WR, CB, DL).

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/2/25/17050014/seattle-seahawks-nfl-draft-return-running-back-positions-drafted-performance-receiver-line-db-lb-dl

History of RBs taken. Most of the 1st round picks having never sniffed the playoffs. It's a different league and you have to draft accordingly.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/rb

Although I agree that getting Zeke later, Henry in the 2nd, or another decent rb in that draft is complete hindsight. I also believe though based on recent draft history, the nfl changing the rules, and the current rb shelf life, RBs are going to continue to be devalued and their stock will continue to fall. The Patriots created a dynasty and I can't remember one of their RBs (oh wait, I remember the 5'6, 170 lb kid that played 4-5 years in the league)

And yes, if I had a flux capacitor, I would draft Ramsey/Henry for Zeke/Smith all day.

There was no one else available at #4 that was going to make the impact that Ezekiel Elliot did in 2016.
Not Jalen Ramsey, or DeForest Buckner

Your post is my exact problem with all these hypotheticals. Full disclosure....I had the exact opinion of drafting running back high until I was 100% wrong about Dallas drafting Ezekiel Elliott.

Your entire post is still full of what ifs and hypothetical situations.

You keep ignoring the elephant in the room which was that the Cowboys drafting an elite talent (someone that led the league in rushing 3X) allowed them to go from being 4-12 to 13-3 overnight.
The 2016 squad was the best team the Cowboys have had since their last Super Bowl.

A pretty good tailback could probably run for 1100 to 1300 yards behind that line, but the Cowboys are f*k dominant when they have a guy that can get 1500-1,700 yards with around 4.8-5 YPC.
That's the difference between a 2016 Zeke Elliot, and just an average tailback.

If you have one great cornerback (Ramsey) paired with an average defense that has pedestrian defensive line play....then all the offense has to do is not throw at that particular corner back.

It goes back to the Travis Frederick debate from 2013. I had no idea who Frederick was in college, but I kept hearing all these "experts" state what a horrible pick it was, and how they could have drafted him in the 3rd round..... blah blah blah
All Travis Frederick did (like Zeke) was become an immediate impact player that made the team much better.

That is what I care about: Is this player going to improve the team?

Zeke and Travis Frederick most certainly did.
Taco Charlton, Bobby Carpenter, Morris Claiborne did not.

Wasting the #4 pick on Ramsey when you don't have an above average pass rush would be a waste of a pick with the offensive line that the Cowboys had.
A single cornerback was not going to help them at all in 2016.
Trucker 96
You can't look at the Zeke pick in a vacuum. They picked a dropfoot gimp in the 2nd that was of no use in 2016. Flip the RB-defender 1-2 with defender-RB, ESPECIALLY a defender that actually sees the field, and you've got plenty of impact. For having such a good pass rush, that defense couldn't get the stops it needed to win a playoff game

And Henry would have been fun to watch behind that beast of an OL in 2016x
Kellso
Fore Left! said:

You can't look at the Zeke pick in a vacuum. They picked a dropfoot gimp in the 2nd that was of no use in 2016. Flip the RB-defender 1-2 with defender-RB, ESPECIALLY a defender that actually sees the field, and you've got plenty of impact. For having such a good pass rush, that defense couldn't get the stops it needed to win a playoff game

And Henry would have been fun to watch behind that beast of an OL in 2016x
Who would you have picked up with the #4 pick?
DeForest Buckner is pretty good, but he's not worth a top 5 pick.

Once Joey Bosa came off the field there was no other defensive player worthy of a top 5 pick.

If the Cowboys take your draft advice how much better do they do in 2016?
Do they go 14-2 or 15-1?

Every single one of you guys that keep stating the Zeke pick was a mistake also fail to mention that the 2016 Cowboys are arguably their best team of the past 25 years.....and Zeke was the Cowboys best player and biggest reason for that improvement.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.