*** TEXANS 2016 SEASON THREAD ***

137,834 Views | 1614 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Farmer1906
zgood10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I might officially be drinking the regular season Koolaid
W
AG
the Texans have caught some breaks in the offseason...no Justin Houston in week 2, no Brady in week 4, no Bridgewater in week 5. Schedule is getting softer as the regular season approaches
Ag_07
AG
Anyone happen to see what Hackenberg did last night?

After not seeing any PT for the first two preseason games he got quite a bit of time last night when Petty was pulled due to a shoulder injury.

11-31 and 54 yards passing...54 yards on 31 attempts
Ryan34
AG
Could not believe he was selected in the 2nd round. He was a poor man's Tom Savage as a draft prospect IMO.
Ryan34
AG
On that note, I'm impressed with how far Savage has come. O'Brien seems to be validating his reputation with QBs IMO.
MelvinUdall
What Bill has done the last two seasons with the QB's he has worked with is nothing short of amazing. I am not shocked at all what he has accomplished with Savage, Bill may have other aspects of his coaching that is questioned, but what he does is with QB's is great.
LilSebastian13
AG
Ninkovich out 4 games as well. Another Patriot our for our game.
AG@RICE
AG
Looks like JJ and Newton will both play.

I hope we take a sensible approach with both players and limit their number of plays.

Getting closer to gameday and that Texans Kool-aid tastes fantastic..

BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
Just bought a 70" 4K for the weekend; CAN'T WAIT.

If any of you guys want a fairly inexpensive but very well reviewed huge 4K tv; Best Buy/Walmart/Target have the Vizio E series 70" 4K for $1299.00

Ag_07
AG
So how'd you like to be the quality control intern tasked with making sure JJ doesn't take the field after he's hit his snap limit?
OPAG
AG
I was a big fan of the Savage pick! I considered him the best QB of that group as far as NFL potential and upside goes. He played behind a crappy OL at Pitt and hung in there and competed. He also played behind crappy OL when with the Texans. Also know that O'brien's offense ask the QB to do a lot of things, knew it would take about 3 years to start seeing any thing from him. He still doesn't have many reps but at least he now knows the system.

Feel pretty good about our QB situation, for the first time in many years.
MelvinUdall
quote:
I was a big fan of the Savage pick! I considered him the best QB of that group as far as NFL potential and upside goes. He played behind a crappy OL at Pitt and hung in there and competed. He also played behind crappy OL when with the Texans. Also know that O'brien's offense ask the QB to do a lot of things, knew it would take about 3 years to start seeing any thing from him. He still doesn't have many reps but at least he now knows the system.

Feel pretty good about our QB situation, for the first time in many years.

I agree with you, I miss the days of the NFL where you allow QB's to develop and not just throw them to the wolves. While Goff for LA may truly not be ready, it is better than destroying his confidence or getting him hurt just because he was a top pick. Think about what the Oilers/Titans did with McNair, they let him sit and learn and he ended up being a damn good QB and he was playing in an offense that was not too dissimilar to what Goff played in college, it simply takes time.
Max Power
AG
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/QTIP_HopkinsYeezy/deandre-hopkins-other-stars-receive-yeezy-cleats-kayne-west

Is this what the kids wear these days?
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
the kids.......and middle aged SEC coaches to help with recruiting
MelvinUdall
quote:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/QTIP_HopkinsYeezy/deandre-hopkins-other-stars-receive-yeezy-cleats-kayne-west

Is this what the kids wear these days?

I can't stand Kanye West and that whole Kardashian clan, uggh.
AG@RICE
AG
JJ played 88% of the defensive plays...that is simply too much. The guy just came back from back surgery AND his back up was having an amazing preseason. He should have probably been restricted to 75% or less of the plays.

I really wish we would do a better job of protecting our assets.
AG@RICE
AG
Im also worried about running Lamar miller into the ground. People will point out that he has low mileage on his wheels, but his 28 carries on Sunday was the most in the NFL by 6 whole carries. He also got the ball 4 times as a receiver. That is 32 touches in one game...on pace for 512 this year (this obviously won't happen).

That is waaayyyy toooo many. I would have love to see him at 22-24 total touches. Give 3 or 4 more touches to Albert Blue and 2-3 to Ervin (I actually like Grimes so I might even give him a couple a game).

I want Miller to be in good physical shape after 16 games...that won't happen if he gets 32 touches a game.
CoachRTM
AG
I was at the game, and I 100% agree with you on JJ.

He looked to be at about 75% if I had to guess. He looked both tired and "hurt". I actually saw the Bears shift towards Clowney and double him as opposed to JJ on a couple snaps.

On Miller, I'm sure they will tone it down. It looked like a ground control/ time of possession type game plan from O'Brien and staff. One game isn't a big enough sample size quite yet.
CFTXAG10
AG
JJ also didn't play in any of the pre-season games and barely returned to practice a week or so ago. The Bears game allowed him to knock some of the rust off, and he still shouldve had at least two sacks in that game. He wreaked havoc on that o-line and got held so many times I lost count. He will be fine moving forward and told reporters he felt great after the game. I trust JJ and the Texans staff to make the right decisions regarding his playing time.
Ryan34
AG
JJ seemed to get in a groove at the end, but he didn't look close to 100% IMO. The Bears gave Clowney more attention than Watt.
W
AG
it seemed rather obvious that J.J. was not himself on Sunday. Hopefully he gets back to it on Sunday vs. the Chiefs
Olsen
AG
With acquisitions of Osweiler and Miller, I think the Texans are going to have a great season. If not, at least decent (10 wins).
AG@RICE
AG
quote:
I trust JJ and the Texans staff to make the right decisions regarding his playing time.
Did you see what happened last year? We played JJ more than any D-lineman in history and he walked out of the season with a broken body.

He spent the entire offseason getting surgeries and performing rehab, and his first game back we did the same damn thing as last year.

Great teams will protect their players earlier in the season to make sure they are ready for the playoffs. Belichick does this every year with Gronk...because he can. Nobody will second guess him and the Pats have enough success that they can afford to be cautious.

I think the Texan's problem is that they have a lack of organizational success and the team feels that pressure. They all feel the need to win right now and generate a positive feeling among their fan base. That can be dangerous in a violent sport that has a long regular season.
bilbobag
This a pretty dumb statement on your part without knowing anything going on behind the scenes..
Ag_07
AG
You're over thinking it. The feelings of the fan base have nothing to do with it.

The problem is that since JJ has been here they've gotten very little contribution from anyone else in that front seven. He has been our front seven for a few years now.

If players like Mercilus, Clowney, and Simon step up then we can afford to rest JJ. Until that happens they have to have him out there to win games and he'll continue to be out there.

And Gronk doesn't play a lot because Gronk is beat to shlt, not because Belichek rests him.
TheVarian
AG
Wouldn't you say playing JJ is too though? We have no ide what is said behind closed doors
AG@RICE
AG
quote:
This a pretty dumb statement on your part without knowing anything going on behind the scenes..
I dont need to know what happens behind close doors. He had multiple offseason surgeries and plays more snaps than any d-lineman in history.

Smart football teams protect their players (from themselves).
AG@RICE
AG
quote:
You're over thinking it. The feelings of the fan base have nothing to do with it.

The problem is that since JJ has been here they've gotten very little contribution from anyone else in that front seven. He has been our front seven for a few years now.

If players like Mercilus, Clowney, and Simon step up then we can afford to rest JJ. Until that happens they have to have him out there to win games and he'll continue to be out there.

And Gronk doesn't play a lot because Gronk is beat to shlt, not because Belichek rests him.
If Gronk played for the Texans you would be saying that we don't get any production from our TEs and we can rest him when we are safely in the playoffs.
Ag_07
AG
Now you're just not making any sense.

If this team had some better production from others and some improved depth (which it looks like they do this year) then JJ would rest more.
AG@RICE
AG
quote:
Now you're just not making any sense.

If this team had some better production from others and some improved depth (which it looks like they do this year) then JJ would rest more.
I actually think that is the point. I think this team is good enough to let JJ rest (or Gronk if we actually had him).

You are pointing out the main issue. We are so used to seeing the Texans as perennial disappointments, that we don't know how to think as winners. We have pretty good depth in the front 7 this year. Specifically, I think Covington is a damn good player and should have played more for JJ.

We didn't need JJ out there for 89% of the snaps. We probably didn't need him at all to be the Bears. I'm glad he knocked some rust off, but he could have done that in 70% of the snaps.

Im actually surprised that ya'll are ok with how much we played JJ considering he ended last season with hand, groin, abdominal and back injuries. The dude is not indestructible...

bilbobag
I am more than just a fan.. I can't comment anymore than what I already did.
Ag_07
AG
You said earlier that it was because of fan feelings.

That is incorrect (at least that's what I believe). That's what I don't agree with.
Ag_07
AG
I know. And again thanks for the little bit of insight you give us from behind the closed doors.

Again, I'm not arguing JJ plays too many snaps. M beef is when people assume sports teams take fan feelings into account.

I expect JJ's snaps to decrease this year as Mercilus turns the corner and Clowney stays healthy and plays more with his hand in the dirt. If not then we can revisit this discussion and pick apart the staff.
bilbobag
The Texans color rush uniforms for the Pats game are interesting.. I like them
AG@RICE
AG
quote:
You said earlier that it was because of fan feelings.

That is incorrect (at least that's what I believe). That's what I don't agree with.
Fair enough. That is probably a reach. I dont actually know BOB or JJ personally, but they appear to be very motivated and passionate individuals. They may not feel fan pressure, but they will probably make their own pressure.

By the way, I agree bilbo thanks for all the info. Please do be careful about what you reveal, there are some ***** on this website that can make your life miserable.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.