*** TEXANS 2016 SEASON THREAD ***

137,846 Views | 1614 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Farmer1906
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bilbobag said:

Brian Gaine interviewed for 49ers GM position, big loss if he leaves

Who
BBQ4Me
AG
Mr.Bond said:

bilbobag said:

Who

Bilboag
Pahdz
oh no said:

is Noplayveon Clowney going to be rushing against that backup LT?

Turrbl
Ag_07
AG
oh no said:

Dude is our best defensive player and having a Pro Bowl season and losers like you still bash on the guy.
Farmer1906
AG
Best? I'd say he's in the top 4 or 5 on the defensive side of the ball not including Watt. We've had a bunch of guys have great years.
oh no
AG
The nickname that's been used for him over the course of the last couple years has stuck with me. Sorry that offends you so much. He's been great lately and he's actually healthy. I'm excited he should get to eat vs a backup in the playoffs.
TrillOBrien
AG
oh no said:

Seems like you really put a lot of effort into his name. Do less next time considering the guy made the Pro Bowl and 2nd-team All Pro
AgsMyDude
AG
oh no said:

More like Probowlveon Clowney amirite?
Diggity
AG
It's a clever nickname and all.. Just doesn't happen to apply this year.
oh no
AG
It is just a well known nickname but apparently it's worth attacking me personally and calling me loser for using it. Sorry guys! Won't happen again!
Pahdz
Well known? First time I've heard it
Max Power
AG
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/07/teams-with-coaching-vacancies-think-bill-obrien-may-be-available/

The fact this is even a point up for discussion shows the level of dysfunction in Houston. BOB wins the division again, weak or not, with another bowl of garbage at qb and no Watt this year and the fact he could be possibly fired by rick smith is a problem. If BOB and rick smith were fired at the same time BOB would have another job in about five minutes, rick smith wouldnt have it so easy.
george07
AG
Rick smith should be fired, but O'Brien's "success" is smoke and mirrors. If the Texans were in any other division they would never be in the playoffs. Elite teams kick their ass every time. Even when the Texans win, at times it is in spite of O'Brien. The Bengals game is a perfect example. He plays not to lose, and up by only 2 points went ultra conservative and should have lost if not for bullock choking. His play calling is beyond predictable. I think they need to completely clean house.
KidDoc
AG
UMichAg said:

Mr.Bond said:

bilbobag said:

Who

Bilboag
If true good luck Bilboag! That team is a mess as well though.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Farmer1906
AG
I'm torn on BOB. He was much better the last 2 years on decision making & play calling.

However he got the job done. And he beat a very elite KC & should have beaten an elite Oakland too if not for some serious BS by the refs.

What is troubling is the lack of putting away games vs bad teams. We had zero comfortable wins.
ATM9000
AG
When the Texans played KC, they were without Justin Houston and they had yet to figure out how to unleash Tyreek Hill in the offense. Calling them elite now is still questionable but for sure they weren't elite early season.
redag06
After googling Brian gaine, pretty sure he is not bilboag.
bilbobag
I am not Brian Gaine. Brain is the director of player personnel.. huge loss. I would take him over Rick any day.

I am not going anywhere neither is OB
Diggity
AG
Give me your list of realistic hires that would do better with this squad.
ATM9000
AG
Very torn on BOB too but I'm starting to lean towards he's not very good (neither is Rick Smith or most of the Texand organization). Make no mistake, if the AFC South were a 'normal' division or good, BOB would be finishing off probably his 3rd 6-10-ish type season. Records look great, but even with the trash QB's something just isn't right with the offense and I'm not sure what it is. Obviously if you replaced Brock Osweiler with Aaron Rodgers, it's a better offense, but I'm not sure it's that great still. I don't think it's just talent either. The Texans have very capable skill players... I've been really disappointed in how they've utilized Lamar Miller.
BMX Bandit
You can only play the schedule they give you. The "he only wins because in afc south" is a weak criticism.

There are 3 other coaches this year that didn't win it. All with better QB situations.
george07
AG
Diggity said:

Give me your list of realistic hires that would do better with this squad.
I can't say that I intimately know all of the assistant coaches and other available candidates, but I do know that O'Brien is too conservative, which is the reason for all the games being so close, even against bad teams. That's not a formula for success. On top of that, he seems to make some very curious decisions at the worst times. The only times he takes risks is when he shouldn't. For example, the goal line play with watt last year when the Kansas city playoff game was still close.
Ryan34
AG
BMX Bandit said:

You can only play the schedule they give you. The "he only wins because in afc south" is a weak criticism.

There are 3 other coaches this year that didn't win it. All with better QB situations.

Yep. Besides, 8 of their games were against the AFC West and the NFC North, arguably 2 of the top 3 divisions in the NFL this year.
george07
AG
BMX Bandit said:

That's like when a kid tells their parents that everyone else did something so it's ok that they did it too. Jacksonville fired their coach. Pagano is a moron and should be fired as well. Tennessee has a decent coach it seems, and he's building in the right direction. They are going to be good next year and the gravy train in the afc south will probably be over.
ATM9000
AG
I get that... But the point is the team has finished off 3 of the weakest 9-7 seasons ever. 3 seasons, not close to a contender and it's also weak to just blame it on 'bad qb'. What I'm basically getting at is even for a team with crap QB's, this offensive guru has gotten very little from his offense for 3 years. You've got to raise your eyebrows at that a little and think about it. I've yet to see an offensive product under his direction and thought 'this is all clicking for the talent it has'. That should disturb every Texan fan. Some give him a pass because his record hasn't looked awful. I'm just saying normal division, he's got a 3 season awful record vs a mediocre one and nobody's defending him anymore.
george07
AG
Also I must say that romeo crennel appears to be the main reason for the Texans success. The guy is a great defensive coordinator. To finish 1st in total defense without watt is pretty impressive.
bilbobag
The games are close because we don't have clean games, TO always put us behind the 8 ball. OB has done really well with cards he has been dealt.

If you want to complain about the ineptness of the offense then yes that ultimately is on him. Poor OL doesn't help and Lamar hasn't liked run between the tackles since middle of the season. His vision is poor also. He needs to trust the call and go. Miami was onto something. Now that he is healthy, hopefully, Lamar will look better
Ryan34
AG
There are 4 teams in the playoffs with a SOS over .500. The Texans are one of them. Despite whatever opinions people have of the AFC South, the Texans did not have an easy schedule.
george07
AG
They are also one of two teams in the nfl that didn't break 28 points this season. The other is the bears. Again, thank you romeo crennel.
bilbobag
The last 2 years they have also played a difficult schedule due to finishing first in the division each year. NFC south traditionally hasn't been great also..
bilbobag
You could say that in the middle of the season the defense performed below average too. They come on the last month and half.

Also if you want to use the weak afc south teams, one could argue that's why the def has also looked so good too
Diggity
AG
You would be conservative too with Brock as your QB.

I just don't see any other coach doing any better than BoB and it's stupid to fire a playoff coach if you don't have a can't miss replacement in line.
bilbobag
OB ain't going anywhere
george07
AG
Diggity said:

You would be conservative too with Brock as your QB.

I just don't see any other coach doing any better than BoB and it's stupid to fire a playoff coach if you don't have a can't miss replacement in line.

You make a good point there... which is why decisions like throwing fades in short yardage goal line situations is so baffling. After the games he does admit that those were bad decisions at least. I don't know who would be better but I want to see this team get aggressive and show they want to be better than 9-7. With the talent on defense we just need that qb and better play calling and this team is a contender immediately.
AgsMyDude
AG
I think we need to go after G Kevin Zeitler this offseason to help out with the oline. He's going be an UFA, Looks like Cincy can't make a deal, and he's one of PFF highest rated players OL hitting the market

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.