*** TEXANS 2016 SEASON THREAD ***

137,826 Views | 1614 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Farmer1906
bilbobag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This was a hard decision for OB but one that had to be done. The mutually agreed is out of respect for Godsey.

Btw, John Was a little to the party on breaking this news story.
Ags #1
AG
Who are the names that are up for the job?
Agstro
AG
Any chance the Texans make a play for Chip here or is he too far down the road with the Jags?
W
AG
Godsey earned his firiing
TrillOBrien
AG
W said:

Godsey earned his firiing
Osweiler certain helped
redag06
BOB admits he split play calling duties with Godsey, so who made the decent play calls and who made the horrendous calls?
bilbobag
He was the QB coach too. OB only called plays for one game I believe
TrillOBrien
AG
bilbobag said:

He was the QB coach too. OB only called plays for one game I believe
any other coaching rumors? Larry Izzo out? Are we re-signing Crennel?
bilbobag
They have people lined up for the OC job and QB coach job. Potential to hire two new coaches
Mr.Bond
AG
What's your gut say on a potential timeline of Asswater leaving if they do decide to go that route
Pahdz
Do those potential hires have clauses saying they won't come if they have to coach Osweiler?
ac
Seriously, was it Osweiler's fault or Godsey's? Osweiler's performance under a different OC/QB coach will answer that question.
TrillOBrien
AG
ac said:

Seriously, was it Osweiler's fault or Godsey's? Osweiler's performance under a different OC/QB coach will answer that question.
Combination of both, but you have to consider that Osweiler's arrival caused us to drop from 19th to 29th in total offense in 2015 and 2016, respectively
oh no
AG
samin23 said:

ac said:

Combination of both, but you have to consider that Osweiler's arrival caused us to drop from 19th to 29th in total offense in 2015 and 2016, respectively
a $72 million deal to downgrade from Hoyer/Mallett/Yates
BBQ4Me
AG
Thanks!

If there's no cap savings for 18-19 by releasing Brock now, it makes very little sense to release him this offseason. Let him compete for the job. If he doesn't get it, you at least have a decent (though expensive) backup QB for 17-18.
Farmer1906
AG
Would you trade JJ Watt for Jimmy G & a first?
Ryan34
AG
aggie1906 said:

Are you nuts?
k20dub
AG
aggie1906 said:

bilbobag
I don't understand the love fest with Jimmy G
Mr.Bond
AG
bilbobag said:

Just another matt cassell love fest because of the logo on his helmet and qb he backs up
oh no
AG
Mr.Bond said:

bilbobag said:

Just another matt cassell love fest because of the logo on his helmet and qb he backs up
didn't Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett also back up the same guy and come from the same system?
Farmer1906
AG
Ryan34 said:

aggie1906 said:

Are you nuts?
I didn't say I would. It was a topic I saw on twitter.

It makes some sense. It would take another big swing at solving the QB issue, it frees up cap space to sign guys like Bouye, and it gives us a 2nd first round pick. All huge deals. It also prevents another potential problem of the defense not gelling with JJ returning. How much better can our defense get with JJ back? On paper, we should be all time great, but it never seems to work out that way.

Just an interesting topic, I thought.
Ryan34
AG
aggie1906 said:

Ryan34 said:

aggie1906 said:

Are you nuts?
I didn't say I would. It was a topic I saw on twitter.

It makes some sense. It would take another big swing at solving the QB issue, it frees up cap space to sign guys like Bouye, and it gives us a 2nd first round pick. All huge deals. It also prevents another potential problem of the defense not gelling with JJ returning. How much better can our defense get with JJ back? On paper, we should be all time great, but it never seems to work out that way.

Just an interesting topic, I thought.

It's really not that interesting. A backup QB and a late first round pick is absurdly low for Watt. And we'd only free up $4.5M in cap space for 2017 according to overthecap.com.

The only way it'd even remotely make sense is if Jimmy G is the second coming of Aaron Rodgers, but if he was, New England wouldn't trade him. They'd push out Brady the same way Favre got pushed out.

In any case, there is no way we would trade JJ, nor should we. But if you want to throw out hypotheticals, it'd need to be a huge bounty in return.
Farmer1906
AG
No good to great QB will ever be traded for another non-QB, even JJ Watt. The point would be is that he could be that guy and we'd be giving up the greatest defender of all time / a redundant, injured player in the middle of a giant contract.
shano0603
AG
You don't trade the best defender in the league and the heart of the organization... Even if they threw in a beejay from Kate Upton... I would stop being a Texans fan.
AgsMyDude
AG
Quote:

a redundant, injured player
nickstro66
AG
Can we trade Rick Smith for a couple footballs or maybe bits of string?
shano0603
AG
nickstro66 said:

Can we trade Rick Smith for a couple footballs or maybe bits of string?
That would be an insult to those bits of string
Ags #1
AG
You are worried how the 3 time NFL defensive player of the year and heart and some of the team will gel with the current defense?
Farmer1906
AG
Ags #1 said:

You are worried how the 3 time NFL defensive player of the year and heart and some of the team will gel with the current defense?

Did you see Clowney Mercilus & Watt playing great together before?
BBQ4Me
AG
aggie1906 said:

Ags #1 said:

Did you see Clowney Mercilus & Watt playing great together before?

Clowney was still adjusting to the NFL/defense this season, as evidenced by his upward trend over the season
AgsMyDude
AG
So sick of going after career backups/over the hill guys.......

Schaub (This one is different because he played well, but could never win any big games)
Mallet
Hoyer
Weeden
Fitz
Osweiler

No desire to add another in Garoppolo especially if it means giving up Watt. Especially on the heels of an injury ridden season in which we paid for his recovery and PT.
Ryan34
AG
Until Clowney wins some DPOY awards, Watt isn't the one who's redundant. Trading Watt is asinine.
zgood10
AG
Ryan34 said:

Until Clowney wins some DPOY awards, Watt isn't the one who's redundant. Trading Watt is asinine.
Not to mention you piss off an entire fanbase
BMX Bandit
talk radio caller trade proposals.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.