*** TEXANS 2016 SEASON THREAD ***

137,812 Views | 1614 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Farmer1906
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Colts look great tonight in blowing out the Jets.

3-way tie for 1st place
bonfarr
AG
Not hard with Bryce Petty playing for NY. He is ass my dude.
Ozamataz Buckshank 01
AG
I got a feeling that the Texans are going to get donkey punched in this game.
bonfarr
AG
Do you know what a donkey punch is? Yuck.
Ags #1
AG
Kind of like how elway must have been onto something with Brock?
MelvinUdall
Ags #1 said:

Yeah he was onto something when he offered him $17 million per year.....let's not get into revisionist history on Brock and the Broncos, they were having some cap issues and needed to sign Miller to a big deal. I get the hate of Brock and the Texans making the deal, but let's not pretend that Elway offered a fairly sizeable deal to him as well:
Ags #1
AG
Then why didn't they match the Texans deal? Not like it was that much more out of line that with what they offered and if they really wanted him they would have made it work right?
Ags #1
AG
My point is that elway must have not seen him as franchise Qb if they were willing to let him walk, which they did. If they thought he was the future franchise Qb they would have done whatever it takes to sign him.
MelvinUdall
Ags #1 said:

My point is that elway must have not seen him as franchise Qb if they were willing to let him walk, which they did. If they thought he was the future franchise Qb they would have done whatever it takes to sign him.

Because they had cap issues, they let a number of players walk rather than pay him. The Von Miller deal was looming large and they knew, within reason, what they were going to have to pay. I will also add that if you think there is a dramatics difference between $17 and $18.5 you are sadly mistaken and don't forget, Brock to the Texans offer without even allowing the Broncos to counter. Like I said, let's not make it out to be that Elway was on to something when he was offering $17 million, if he had offered $5 million, I would be in the same boat as you.
Ags #1
AG
All I'm saying is that elway must have had some doubt in Brock or he would have cut even more players to sign him. Maybe it wasn't an easy decision but there was something there that made him say he is not a franchise QB or they would have done whatever it takes to keep him. OR he just rolled the dice and said let him walk and looks really smart about it
MelvinUdall
Ags #1 said:

All I'm saying is that elway must have had some doubt in Brock or he would have cut even more players to sign him. Maybe it wasn't an easy decision but there was something there that made him say he is not a franchise QB or they would have done whatever it takes to keep him. OR he just rolled the dice and said let him walk and looks really smart about it

The latter would probably be more accurate and his statement that is it was the right move after Semien started off hot looks a bit more foolish given his injury and subsequent sucking and Lynch looking like garbage. Like I said, he offered him $17 million and the Broncos did bleed players in the offseason.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Johnathan Joseph cracked 2 ribs and bruised his lung
Diggity
AG
yeah...he looked like he was in a ton of pain.
bilbobag
Elway got pissed off when Brocks agent started shopping his client.. Brock had no intentions of returning to Denver. Brock's agent used those two facts to get the Texans to jump without even really having them interview Brock or have OB spend time with Brock.

Rick is a smart man. I know you can't believe I said that but he is. With that being said he had a fast one pulled on him. Should have called Brock's agent bluff instead of going all in.

If the Texans don't get Clowney or Simon or both back, I don't see them winning a game down the stretch.

Clowney has multiple injuries he's been dealing with and finally have him time to get healthy. Biggest question is how much time.
bilbobag
Yea JJo not looking good either. I highly doubt he plays. He's only missed 4 games out of 97 in his time with the Texans up to this point
Mr.Bond
AG
Clowney injured....... This is my surprised face
dreyOO
nhayden said:

Ags #1 said:

Yeah he was onto something when he offered him $17 million per year.....let's not get into revisionist history on Brock and the Broncos, they were having some cap issues and needed to sign Miller to a big deal. I get the hate of Brock and the Texans making the deal, but let's not pretend that Elway offered a fairly sizeable deal to him as well:

He did. But for a completely different offensive system. Even Symien looks alright in that system. Brock is a complete spare in BOBs system.
phdag
bilbobag said:

Elway got pissed off when Brocks agent started shopping his client.. Brock had no intentions of returning to Denver. Brock's agent used those two facts to get the Texans to jump without even really having them interview Brock or have OB spend time with Brock.

Rick is a smart man. I know you can't believe I said that but he is. With that being said he had a fast one pulled on him. Should have called Brock's agent bluff instead of going all in.

If the Texans don't get Clowney or Simon or both back, I don't see them winning a game down the stretch.

Clowney has multiple injuries he's been dealing with and finally have him time to get healthy. Biggest question is how much time.

No one said Smith wasn't smart. He is a friggin genius to still have a job after doing such a sucky job.
MelvinUdall
dreyOO said:

nhayden said:

Ags #1 said:

He did. But for a completely different offensive system. Even Symien looks alright in that system. Brock is a complete spare in BOBs system.

Regardless, he still offered him big money to stay, I was correcting a fallacy that somehow Elway was the genius in this whole deal. I am not arguing the decision the Texans made or that Brock has been anything more than the worst starting QB in the league.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah I think those acting like Elway didn't fight to keep Brock because of his lack of skill are wrong. Think it was of a pride thing. He wasn't going to give any more to Brock because he was butthurt he was leaning towards leaving.

No inside sources but that's based on what I've heard in the media about Elway and the Bronco's players attitude towards Brock. They all come off very spited and were not happy about him bolting.
Ags #1
AG
Rick smith smart?????????????
KidDoc
AG
When I get down on the Texans I remind myself at least I'm not a Browns, Jets, or 49ers fan.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TrillOBrien
AG
KidDoc said:

When I get down on the Texans I remind myself at least I'm not a Browns, Jets, or 49ers fan.
Jets and 49ers have actually had playoff success this decade. Meanwhile our major accomplishments include drafting JJ Watt and getting lucky enough to play the Bengals twice in the playoffs.
MelvinUdall
samin23 said:

KidDoc said:

Jets and 49ers have actually had playoff success this decade. Meanwhile our major accomplishments include drafting JJ Watt and getting lucky enough to play the Bengals twice in the playoffs.

Congrats, I had no idea that both of teams were just formed in this century.
redag06
maca1028
KidDoc said:

At least 2 of those fan bases probably say the same about us.
TrillOBrien
AG
nhayden said:

samin23 said:

KidDoc said:

You say that as if it makes any difference in our lack of success. McNair has had over 15 years to put together an elite team and has failed to do so
MelvinUdall
samin23 said:

nhayden said:

samin23 said:

KidDoc said:

You say that as if it makes any difference in our lack of success. McNair has had over 15 years to put together an elite team and has failed to do so

Your initial comment was a wet blanket comment, comparing an organization that is 15 years old to ones that are 50+ years old is simply short sighted. I am not defending the direction of the Texans and the moves they made or not made, but it is not a fair comparison to historical franchises. The Cleveland Browns would be more of a comparative team given they are an expansion team, just a bit older, and the Texans have way outperformed that organization.
TrillOBrien
AG
nhayden said:

samin23 said:

nhayden said:

samin23 said:

KidDoc said:

Your initial comment was a wet blanket comment, comparing an organization that is 15 years old to ones that are 50+ years old is simply short sighted. I am not defending the direction of the Texans and the moves they made or not made, but it is not a fair comparison to historical franchises. The Cleveland Browns would be more of a comparative team given they are an expansion team, just a bit older, and the Texans have way outperformed that organization.
As I stated in my initial comment, I was only focused on this decade (meaning since 2006). Since then, we have had 3 playoff teams...2 of which were both lucky enough to play the Bengals before being demolished by the Ravens and Patriots (let's not speak on last year's playoff team). Meanwhile...since 2006, the Jets have made a deep playoff run and went to the AFC Championship game, and the 49ers have made it all the way to the Super Bowl. In fact, there could be a valid argument that the 49ers would be in playoff contention if all of their star players didn't retire very early in their careers.

All I'm saying is this: the initial comment was that we should be "glad that we aren't Browns, Jets, or 49ers fans" yet two of those teams have shown initiative in very recent years to build successful teams, while Bob McNair continues to give mediocre Rick Smith a pass for his consistent failures, which ultimately has led to failing seasons.
MelvinUdall
samin23 said:

nhayden said:

samin23 said:

nhayden said:

samin23 said:

KidDoc said:

As I stated in my initial comment, I was only focused on this decade (meaning since 2006). Since then, we have had 3 playoff teams...2 of which were both lucky enough to play the Bengals before being demolished by the Ravens and Patriots (let's not speak on last year's playoff team). Meanwhile...since 2006, the Jets have made a deep playoff run and went to the AFC Championship game, and the 49ers have made it all the way to the Super Bowl. In fact, there could be a valid argument that the 49ers would be in playoff contention if all of their star players didn't retire very early in their careers.

All I'm saying is this: the initial comment was that we should be "glad that we aren't Browns, Jets, or 49ers fans" yet two of those teams have shown initiative in very recent years to build successful teams, while Bob McNair continues to give mediocre Rick Smith a pass for his consistent failures, which ultimately has led to failing seasons.

My goodness, a 20-13 loss to the Ravens is considered be demolished? The 49'ers are so about winning that they essentially didn't want their best coach since Seifert anymore. The Jets had a great D that was built over a few years with an already established team and had Mark Sanchez at QB, once that D was done he sucked as a QB and they are an awful team along with the 49'ers. Will you at least admit that at a 20-13 loss is not a demolishing with TJ Yates playing QB, oh and lest we forget about Jacoby Jones dumbass as fumble, otherwise we may be talking about a different outcome.

Point is that I am not defending the direction of the organization, in the end they have not been nearly as awful as you are suggesting and up until this season the last decade they have been a better organization than the Cowboys. 20-13 is a demolishing is simply laughable.

W
AG
huge win today.

Texas (7-6) control their destiny. Can clinch the division at home the next 2 weeks vs. the Jags and Bengals (Christmas Eve)
Buck Compton
AG
W said:

huge win today.

Texas (7-6) control their destiny. Can clinch the division at home the next 2 weeks vs. the Jags and Bengals (Christmas Eve)
That doesn't clinch anything if the Titans win their next two games. Then it goes to winner-take-all in Nashville. Big time KC fans next week.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Buck Compton said:

W said:

huge win today.

That doesn't clinch anything if the Titans win their next two games. Then it goes to winner-take-all in Nashville.

No we have the tiebreaker no matter what
Buck Compton
AG
We have the exact same record. If we both win our next two games, there won't be a tiebreaker.
Ag Since 83
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

Buck Compton said:

W said:

huge win today.

That doesn't clinch anything if the Titans win their next two games. Then it goes to winner-take-all in Nashville.

No we have the tiebreaker no matter what
If we both win the next 2 and then Tennessee beats us, they'd be 10-6 and we'd be 9-7

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.