*** TEXANS 2016 SEASON THREAD ***

137,800 Views | 1614 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Farmer1906
Ryan34
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good Aggie Hunting said:

Texans have to win out the rest of the season

A win today would give us the tie breaker. So we probably only need to win 2 of the last 3.
AgsMyDude
AG
Praise the Lord Tom Savage getting to play
Mr.Bond
AG
TOMMY FOOTBALL!!!
Ag Since 83
AG
Refs making up for inventing touchdowns?
WES2006AG
AG
I can't believe Bill had the balls to make the QB change.
AgsMyDude
AG
WES2006AG said:

I can't believe Bill had the balls to make the QB change.

I agree. I'm impressed
gambochaman
AG
And then bill goes and does that ....-_-
Ag Since 83
AG
Current strategy

AG@RICE
AG
At some point during that first quarter of that game, all I could think about was how much I missed Matt Schaub. It was clear that even an average QB would have been sufficient to beat the Jags with our defense (and their offense). Then all of a sudden, the clouds parted and there he was. Doughy. Unathletic. Possibly injury Prone. ACCURATE. The reincarnation of Matt Schaub was born.
CFTXAG10
AG
aTm2004
AG
Oh yeeeaaaaaahhhhhhhh!
Pahdz
Super fans scrambling to get their Texans themed Macho Man get ups together for Saturday
W
AG
I give BoB mega-credit for pulling the plug on the Osweiler experiment.

it was remarkable to see Savage come in and immediately be able to get the ball to Hopkins all over the field.

next week's game vs. Cincy is likely more important for the Texans in the wildcard race than in the division race. I doubt Jax will beat the Titans
W
AG
apparently the Broncos were fighting/arguing in the locker room after yesterday's game. Brock might end up sinking 2 franchises. That's not easy for one guy to do
Flashdiaz
AG
from Brock's interview yesterday.

"Obviously, I think there's been a common denominator throughout the season of our offensive struggles. Certainly, not saying it's me, but we need to sit down and we need to figure out what that common denominator is and continue to progress as an offense."

lol. he needs to sit in front of a mirror if he wants to see the common denominator.

His backup went in the same game and proceeded to throw the ball all over the place and win the game. Not sure how much clearer it can get for him.

Bob should be pissed Rick and Obrien wasted at least 38mil when the answer was literally sitting on the bench.
Ryan34
AG
Except McNair allegedly was the primary driver for signing Osweiler.
bdgol07
AG
Let's not get ahead of ourselves in christening Savage the savior.

Was he better than Brock? yep.
Is he the next franchise? probably not.

Can he put the team in a better position to win games this year? Yes

I think Brock needs to sit for the rest of this year, or until Savage gets hurt or implodes. Maybe sing the offense ran from the sidelines from a guy whose been in it for three years will help him understand how to get the ball out on time and keep the team on schedule
ac
bdgol07 said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves in christening Savage the savior.

Was he better than Brock? yep.
Is he the next franchise? probably not.

Can he put the team in a better position to win games this year? Yes

I think Brock needs to sit for the rest of this year, or until Savage gets hurt or implodes. Maybe sing the offense ran from the sidelines from a guy whose been in it for three years will help him understand how to get the ball out on time and keep the team on schedule

Agree. a 1 point home win over a 2-12 team that fired their coach afterwards shouldn't be cause for celebration.

That being said, there isn't much question that Savage should start. As pointed out, he is aware that DeAndre Hopkins is on the field, unlike Osweiler. Now, the dilemma is that if Savage plays badly against Cincy, then what do you do for the must win game at Nashville the next week?

Free agent busts are nothing new for the Texans (Ahman Green, Ed Reed). Is it McNair or Rick Smith who makes these decisions?
rosco511
AG
I think it was both McNair and Smith with respect to Brock. I do not think O'Brien was ever a fan of Osweiler's and would have benched him several weeks ago had it been up to him.
bilbobag
Brock was a management decision from the very beginning and that includes Rick Smith. I think this what Brock has needed. He is mental mush. Take a step back, clear his head and watch how the offense is suppose to run.

Savage has his own issues. He needs to be on point from this point going forward. He has been his own worse enemy.

He hasn't taken a snap in 735 days and wasn't even active last week due to a staph infection.
JJxvi
AG
It's only a matter of time before Savage is hurt again, like he has been his whole career.
bilbobag
Good lord man.. I am sure if you keep saying it, it will happen.
CFTXAG10
AG
I believe. Oh yeaaaaaaaa.

Opening lines:

Texans -3.5 over Bengals
Titans -3.5 over Jags (thought this line would be higher)
(removed:110205)
ac said:

bdgol07 said:

As pointed out, he is aware that DeAndre Hopkins is on the field, unlike Osweiler.

Disagree on this. Osweiler knew DH was on the field. How many of his interceptions were trying to force it to Hop in double coverage? Osweiler was just bad in all phases of the game. Savage looked composed. He may not be great, but he dealt well with pressure, didn't make terrible decisions, and has a live arm. Basic competence looks like manna from heaven right now.
bilbobag
To be honest the only game that matters is the Tennessee game unless somehow the Jags pull the upset..If that happens, Texans beat Bengals it's over.
bilbobag
Savage has better ball placement and Nuk was able to hail them. Despite that, Ramsey made some great plays. He is so good.
(removed:110205)
http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-DeAndre-Hopkins-Nobody-is-hanging-their-10419917.php

This is from early October. 6 of his first 8 interceptions were on targets to Hopkins.
CFTXAG10
AG
bilbobag said:

Savage has better ball placement and Nuk was able to hail them. Despite that, Ramsey made some great plays. He is so good.
I said something to this extent during the game yesterday. Hop looks so much more comfortable with Savage out there, but I think part of it just comes from ball placement and release time. Savage doesn't hold onto the ball like Osweiler does. He knows where the receiver is going to break and gets it out quickly. He also did a great job of not forcing anything, and instead threw the ball away to live another down on multiple occasions.
AustinCountyAg
let's not get ahead of ourselves with Savage....the game on Saturday will say a lot about Savage and BoB. When Savage came in yesterday the whole game plan Bill had in place was essentially trashed, and they were throwing the ball a whole lot more than Bill ever wanted to in that game since they were behind.

It will be interesting to see the game plan on Saturday with Savage starting the game and him not coming in behind the 8 ball after being down by several scores
Frok
AG
Can we sign T.J. Yates for just this week?
CFTXAG10
AG
Obviously the playoffs aren't a "lock" just yet, but its interesting to start looking at opening matchups. If the playoffs started today it would be Texans-Chiefs at home, although the Chiefs still have a shot at winning the AFC West and clinching a first round bye if they can surpass the Raiders (Chiefs would have the division tiebreaker).

Raiders (11-3)(current 2 seed):
vs. Colts
@ Broncos

Chiefs (10-4)(current 5 seed):
vs. Broncos
@ Chargers

Other teams to follow for seeding purposes:

Steelers (9-5)(current 3 seed):
vs. Ravens
vs. Browns

Ravens (8-6)(out):
@ Steelers
@ Bengals

Dolphins (9-5)(current 6 seed):
@ Bills
vs. Patriots
W
AG
the Bengals game (for the Texans) is important from the standpoint of maintaining a shot at the wildcard if Houston loses to Tennessee...

and Buffalo beats Miami next week...and Pittsburgh beats Baltimore

MelvinUdall
AustinCountyAg said:

let's not get ahead of ourselves with Savage....the game on Saturday will say a lot about Savage and BoB. When Savage came in yesterday the whole game plan Bill had in place was essentially trashed, and they were throwing the ball a whole lot more than Bill ever wanted to in that game since they were behind.

It will be interesting to see the game plan on Saturday with Savage starting the game and him not coming in behind the 8 ball after being down by several scores
I am certainly not getting ahead of myself, however it would appear that BoB will have a lot more access to the playbook with Savage than with Brock, if that is the case then the O will be different. I will also add that from Bengals and Titans standpoint that there is not much film on Savage so that will be advantage for the Texans moving forward. I certainly don't believe Brock to be the savior, but what I saw yesterday was a QB that was more accurate than Brock and seemed to be able to get it to Hopkins where it needed to be. I hope the Texans start Savage moving forward, but McNair and Smith may have a differing opinion that BoB.
mAgnoliAg
AG
How's our tiebreaker situation with the steelers Ravens and Dolphins?
mAgnoliAg
AG
It's huge that this will be the first time for savage against the titans this year in week 17. Defenses always prevail in the 2nd divisional matchup for teams.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.