*** TEXANS 2016 SEASON THREAD ***

137,850 Views | 1614 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Farmer1906
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't see them taking a QB until the middle rounds. Too many other needs. Think there's too big a need at OL, ILBer, and maybe even S to take one in the first couple rounds.

I'd be all for it but I just think they look to fill some needs instead of spending a high pick on a QB.
BarryProfit
Isn't a QB their biggest need?
AG@RICE
AG
Don't worry everyone. Hackenberg has been so bad the jets may cut him....hellllllooooo hand me down!
aTm2004
AG
BarryProfit said:

Not many QBs can shine behind a Ol OL.
Ag_07
AG
BarryProfit said:

I don't think so.

As bad as Brock has been I think a rookie QB on this team makes them worse. Shore up that mess of an OL and maybe address the LB shortage and its a much better team even with Brock.
Farmer1906
AG
BarryProfit said:

Absolutely and it isn't even close.

If we don't make a move for another QB then we're basically saying 2017 doesn't matter.
Ag12thman
AG
Yeah, I agree. They do struggle at the next level it seems. So many of the QBs seem to be very bad at making more than one read. I realize they are worried with pressure, but you have to be able to tune that out and make your reads and throws (and trust your OL) in the NFL.
BBQ4Me
AG
If they can't get a quality QB like Watson or Kizer, I hope they focus on getting TE, OG, and RB#2 in the first three rounds. That'll make life easier for our current and future QB
thann07
AG
2017 QB will likely be split between Brock, Savage, and any rookie.

I think a QB is a significant need so they can pseudo redshirt him to be ready for 2018. BOB is never going to go for a rookie as his day 1 starter (will be the case in 2017 and 2018), and you've got to think long term as Brock isn't the answer, especially at his contract.

That said, #1 draft need is OL.
pagerman @ work
AG
Quote:

That said, #1 draft need is OL.
This.
Ryan34
AG
I'd like to see them address OL in free agency if possible. But if there's a QB that they believe in available at their draft spot, IMO they can't pass on him. Just depends on their evaluation of the QB prospects.

That being said, the offenses that these QBs come from does worry me. I'd want any of them to sit and learn.
k20dub
AG
I'd bet anything the Texans don't draft a QB in the first round. I could see it in middle rounds depending on who's available though. (Of course, if there's a change in GM then who knows)
oh no
AG
i don't necessarily like the QBs at the top of the board (Turbisky, Kiser, etc.) ...maybe Watson.. so it's hard to imagine someone in the middle rounds being the answer over Savage from three drafts ago - the same - a middle round (4th) guy.

when do you think a guy like Patrick Mahommes will go? I like that kid's grit and he appears to have a cannon of an arm and is smart... but one-read hurry-up guys tend to struggle with the adjustment.
Buck Compton
AG
Ryan34 said:

I'd like to see them address OL in free agency if possible. But if there's a QB that they believe in available at their draft spot, IMO they can't pass on him. Just depends on their evaluation of the QB prospects.

That being said, the offenses that these QBs come from does worry me. I'd want any of them to sit and learn.
There aren't a lot of elite linemen on the market in 2017. There are a some very solid guards, but only one elite tackle (and he's 35 years old already). Otherwise, need to draft OL in the first, maybe QB if you really grade one as elite. Take the other in the second round.

Number one FA goal is to retain Bouye. At that point, I think we are just fine in the secondary. If Watt comes back healthy, the only other real need is a MLB or potentially a DT. MLB will need a draft pick long-term, but could potentially sign a FA to bolster the position as Cushing increasingly becomes a liability.
pagerman @ work
AG
Quote:

one-read hurry-up guys tend to struggle with the adjustment.

You don't say?
oh no
AG
so you don't like Mahommes?
pagerman @ work
AG
oh no said:

so you don't like Mahommes?
Not at all. My post was more a reaction to what Bilbo has been saying about Brock and his inability to get past the first read, and knowing that he came out of a spread system at ASU.

Mahommes is intriguing but guys out of spread systems do concern me.
Ag_07
AG
Also WGAS.

This all belongs in the 2016 Houston Texans Offseason Thread. However, that doesn't exist because they're still in the 2016 playoffs.

Let's get to the offseason before we start discussing it.
oh no
AG
soo... next week?
mAgnoliAg
AG
oh no said:

i don't necessarily like the QBs at the top of the board (Turbisky, Kiser, etc.) ...maybe Watson.. so it's hard to imagine someone in the middle rounds being the answer over Savage from three drafts ago - the same - a middle round (4th) guy.

when do you think a guy like Patrick Mahommes will go? I like that kid's grit and he appears to have a cannon of an arm and is smart... but one-read hurry-up guys tend to struggle with the adjustment.

Mahomes is 2nd round I think. Walter Football mock draft currently has Mahomes going to the Texans in the 1st round however.
Buck Compton
AG
Ag_07 said:

Also WGAS.

This all belongs in the 2016 Houston Texans Offseason Thread. However, that doesn't exist because they're still in the 2016 playoffs.

Let's get to the offseason before we start discussing it.
What is there to discuss about our game this weekend? Whether we lose by only 15-20 instead of 30?

I'd much rather discuss offseason things - there's no football/Xs & Os discussion about this weekend. They're better at literally every offensive position/position group but WR, and they're better there too if you include TEs.

They're also better at LB and DL (since Watt isn't there). We might manage an even comparison in the secondary, but that doesn't really matter due to one of the most lopsided QB matchups in playoff history.

They're better at all special teams (except for punter).

What else is there to say?
mAgnoliAg
AG
Ag_07 said:

I don't see them taking a QB until the middle rounds. Too many other needs. Think there's too big a need at OL, ILBer, and maybe even S to take one in the first couple rounds.

I'd be all for it but I just think they look to fill some needs instead of spending a high pick on a QB.

Cushing and McKinney have been good. I think we take one a little later that we can develop to take Cushing's spot, but we shouldn't take one early.
Ryan34
AG
Buck Compton said:

Ryan34 said:

There aren't a lot of elite linemen on the market in 2017. There are a some very solid guards, but only one elite tackle (and he's 35 years old already). Otherwise, need to draft OL in the first, maybe QB if you really grade one as elite. Take the other in the second round.

Number one FA goal is to retain Bouye. At that point, I think we are just fine in the secondary. If Watt comes back healthy, the only other real need is a MLB or potentially a DT. MLB will need a draft pick long-term, but could potentially sign a FA to bolster the position as Cushing increasingly becomes a liability.

It looks like the draft will be light at OT as well. Just not a great offseason to be looking for OT help, unless someone becomes a cap casualty.
Buck Compton
AG
I hadn't dug into the draft too much yet (I generally wait until Late February) but it seems like you're right. Another thing to pin on old Rick.
MelvinUdall
oh no said:

soo... next week?

Shouldn't we just start one now since this is already considered a bye-week for the Pats?
Farmer1906
AG
nhayden said:

oh no said:

soo... next week?

Shouldn't we just start one now since this is already considered a bye-week for the Pats?
Do it.
Mr.Bond
AG
Former Texan coach Vance Joseph leading candidate for Denver
bilbobag
Done deal
Ag12thman
AG
Was Vance on the Kubiak staff when he was at Houston?
MelvinUdall
Ag12thman said:

Was Vance on the Kubiak staff when he was at Houston?

Yes and I thought he was fired, but I could be wrong.
Farmer1906
AG
He was let go when BOB brought in his people right?

He was also interim DC when Kub took time off.
Ag12thman
AG
My thought is Kubiak recommended Elway look closely at Vance???
bilbobag
McCoy to be Vance's OC
redag06
nm old news
AgsMyDude
AG
PFF came out with OL grades. Texans at #18 https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-this-season/

Cincy came in at #11. As I mentioned before and their best Run Blocker is going to be a free agent:
"Top run-blocking grade: RG Kevin Zeitler, 83.1 (No. 9)"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.