*** TEXANS 2016 SEASON THREAD ***

137,782 Views | 1614 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Farmer1906
Ag12thman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't ever trade Watt. He's the face of the franchise and a very good one.
Buck Compton
AG
Let's move all of these his ridiculous talk to the off season thread. At least then we can contain the crazy ideas on one thread.
LilSebastian13
AG
Are we letting Vrabel take over the defense? I got a notification from ESPN that Crennel's contract expires next week and negotiations haven't started yet.
bilbobag
His contract is set to terminate next Tuesday. The plan at the beginning of the year was Romeo was to retire and Vrabel take over.

There have been some preliminary talks with Romeo but right now the focus is on the OC
pagerman @ work
AG
bilbobag said:

His contract is set to terminate next Tuesday. The plan at the beginning of the year was Romeo was to retire and Vrabel take over.

There have been some preliminary talks with Romeo but right now the focus is on the OC

Any possibility of keeping both?
agdaddy04
AG
bilbobag said:

I think this is a move that needs to happen
Ag_07
AG
Cowboys expected to release Romo.
k20dub
AG
Ag_07 said:

Cowboys expected to release Romo.

Link?
Ag_07
AG
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x171118/predicting-biggest-offseason-change-all-32-teams

Tony Romo, the franchise's leader in touchdown passes and passing yards, will be released. While there will be talk of a trade, there will be too many hoops to jump through to get a deal done. From the Cowboys' perspective, designating Romo as a post-June 1 cut will open up more cap space, even if they have to take a cap hit over the next two seasons. It will be a goodbye as difficult as Jerry Jones has had to say to any player in his tenure as owner and general manager. -- Todd Archer
AgsMyDude
AG
Makes sense for both parties but I'll hold off on buying into the predictions.

Don't see any team trading for a 37 yr old qb who hasn't played much the past 2 years, especially with his cap figure. He would have to agree to renegotiate, but he owes the Cowboys nothing and would rather get his cash from release, then sign with the new team of his choice
Ryan34
AG
Dallas has the worst cap situation in the league. They pretty much have to cut Romo. Designating him as a post June 1 cut frees up $14M. But they're $6M in the hole right now, so they still don't have any room to spend. They're going to have to trim back quite a bit.

KC has the 3rd least cap space and they have some big free agents like Dontari Poe and Eric Berry. They can free up $17.75M by cutting Charles and Foles though.

The Texans have $25.75M in cap space and only Bouye as a big free agent. I think we should release Joseph if that's what it takes to keep Bouye. Cutting Joseph would free up $6.5M in cap space.

Cutting Clark and Bergstrom frees up $2.75M and $2.875M, respectively. Weeden is another $2.15M.
AggieTFA06
AG
A part of me thinks Rick Smith is going to go after Romo. He loves those backups.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
Buck Compton
AG
AggieTFA06 said:

A part of me thinks Rick Smith is going to go after Romo. He loves those backups.
I'll say this... At $3-4M, I am taking a chance once the doctors look over him and I see him move around, etc... It doesn't matter because someone is going to give him $10-12M and call it a day. Hell, Fitzpatrick made $10M this year.

But the whole idiocy of Cowboys fans was thinking that someone was actually going to trade for him and that albatross of a contract.
shano0603
AG
Buck Compton said:

AggieTFA06 said:

I'll say this... At $3-4M, I am taking a chance once the doctors look over him and I see him move around, etc... It doesn't matter because someone is going to give him $10-12M and call it a day. Hell, Fitzpatrick made $10M this year.

But the whole idiocy of Cowboys fans was thinking that someone was actually going to trade for him and that albatross of a contract.
I'd give him 10-12 million.
Buck Compton
AG
shano0603 said:

Buck Compton said:

AggieTFA06 said:

If we want an OL to protect him, we can't afford to pay him 10-12 and keep Bouye. Hell, we might not be able to afford that with Bouye walking. The only way he is going to be successful with with a stout OL to prevent him from breaking in half.
shano0603
AG
Buck Compton said:

shano0603 said:

Buck Compton said:

AggieTFA06 said:

If we want an OL to protect him, we can't afford to pay him 10-12 and keep Bouye. Hell, we might not be able to afford that with Bouye walking. The only way he is going to be successful with with a stout OL to prevent him from breaking in half.
You gotta do something. You have an elite defense which could carry a halfway decent offense.

1. Get Romo, draft an o-lineman. With any extra money, sign one too.

2. Draft a QB and an o-lineman with your first two picks. and sign a really good o-lineman

Diggity
AG
Romo won't stay healthy no matter how good the line is. Ain't worth the risk.
Farmer1906
AG
Diggity said:

Romo won't stay healthy no matter how good the line is. Ain't worth the risk.
m
I think it is, but we have to draft someone too.
BMX Bandit
Buck Compton said:

AggieTFA06 said:

A team trading for Romo would owe him his $14mm salary in 2017. If someone is willing to pay 10-12mm in your scenario, $2mm more is hardly an "albatross"
Ag_07
AG
I have a feeling they are cutting him to do him a solid. Wish him well and let him hit the open market and go where he chooses rather than pawn him off on whoever gives you the best deal.

I see how it helps both parties to simply cut him.
Mr.Bond
AG
Mike Vrabel New DC. RAC staying on as assistant head coach
k20dub
AG
gougler08
MelvinUdall
This could not have been drawn up any better, Texans get the best of both worlds.
Ag12thman
AG
Texans are gonna be GOOD on D next year.
bilbobag
I think Romo ends up in Denver
Farmer1906
AG
I hope not. They're in a similar situation as us. Great D, decent running game, and in major need of a QB.
bilbobag
Denver is definitely the front runner. That much I know
shano0603
AG
bilbobag said:

Denver is definitely the front runner. That much I know
Makes sense. Romo isn't going to a team in a bad position. He will go to a team that is a QB away.
bilbobag
Vrabel will run the show on defense. RAC will have responsibilities minus running the show on Sunday. Will be an extra set of eyes for OB.. OB needs them
Ag_07
AG
I vote we nix this thread and move over to the 2017 Offseason Thread. We're starting to get duplicate conversations.
corleoneAg99
AG
bilbobag said:

I think Romo ends up in Denver

The question is how thought, right?

Gets released and chooses them? Makes perfect sense.

Elways gives up picks, etc, in trade for him? Seems very hard to believe at this stage with his cap figure.
bilbobag
Possibility OB takes on play calling duties with this move. Possibly
bilbobag
Looks like I was right..

OB really putting his Keck on the line with this move
nkc1981
AG
who was the name you were hearing that you thought would've been a homerun hire?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.