*** TEXANS 2016 SEASON THREAD ***

137,805 Views | 1614 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Farmer1906
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
we're looking at a 40% dropoff...from 1,500 yards to 900
MelvinUdall
Brock is simply a bad QB, and this offense is anemic and I don't see it getting fixed this season. I will add that they are 6-3 and I don't care if they are against bad teams, except KC, winning in the NFL is tough. My big issue moving forward is that I don't see them being any better next year offensively if Brock doesn't improve dramatically.

I want to add one more thing, Romeo has done an outstanding job with this defense given all the injuries.
Ryan34
AG
Brock has been bad but he has got to stop forcing the ball to Hopkins. Hopkins, for whatever reason, hasn't been able to separate nearly as well this year. My guess is frustration, but the bottom line is that the effort hasn't been there consistently.
aTm2004
AG
Outside of Hopkins, who is there that's a real receiving threat? Fuller has a case of stone hands and the TE's are running the routes they're supposed to. Defenses are essentially taking Hopkins out of the game and giving the underneath stuff to the TE's and RB's for minimal gains.
MelvinUdall
aTm2004 said:

Outside of Hopkins, who is there that's a real receiving threat? Fuller has a case of stone hands and the TE's are running the routes they're supposed to. Defenses are essentially taking Hopkins out of the game and giving the underneath stuff to the TE's and RB's for minimal gains.

I'd say that the offensive weapons he has available to him were more than what Hoyer had last year. I think when you watch Brock he has already identified where he is going and forces it there, if it is not there he plays scared.
Ag_07
AG
Ever since the NE game teams have been playing the Texans with the 2-man look where they double Hopkins and Fuller with their 2 safeties.

With Fuller out it's even easier since Strong isn't good and Miller is raw still.

The Texans only dressed (not only played, but ONLY DRESSED) 3 WRs yesterday. That's incredible.

So in the end we thought they were going to have a plethora of weapons on offense when really they at best only have 2 (DHop and Fuller).

This isn't me saying Brock isn't bad, but he doesn't really have a lot to work with here. It's not all Brock's fault, but rather as a whole this offense sucks.
shano0603
AG
nhayden said:

Brock is simply a bad QB, and this offense is anemic and I don't see it getting fixed this season. I will add that they are 6-3 and I don't care if they are against bad teams, except KC, winning in the NFL is tough. My big issue moving forward is that I don't see them being any better next year offensively if Brock doesn't improve dramatically.

I want to add one more thing, Romeo has done an outstanding job with this defense given all the injuries.
I don't agree. I think we need to get better on the offensive line. A healthy Martin and Newton, mixed with maybe a first round OL next draft. I don't think I'm ready to write off Brock just yet. But would also not be against drafting a QB.
MelvinUdall
shano0603 said:

nhayden said:

I don't agree. I think we need to get better on the offensive line. A healthy Martin and Newton, mixed with maybe a first round OL next draft. I don't think I'm ready to write off Brock just yet. But would also not be against drafting a QB.

To start I am not sure Newton will be back to start the 2017 season if at all, that was a devastating injury. I will also add that they just rushed for 180 yards yesterday, even if it was the Jags, that is a lot of yards to pick up, especially with a patchwork OL.

I have fiven the benefit of the doubt to Brock all season, but if you can't break 100 yards passing and you play all 4 quarters, this isn't about the weapons around you, this is your inability to find where the holes are at in the D.
Ag_07
AG
And did anyone esle hear on the presser today that Bill said Godsey called the plays yesterday and actually they split time doing it. He said it's an always changing dynamic and who calls the plays depends on lots of things and what helps the team the best.

How is that a good idea and what's the fckin point? Do any other teams switch play callers and flip-flop like that?

Just doesn't seem like a good idea when you've got a relatively young unit and a struggling QB in his first year in the system.

I haven't been in this group, but now I'm pretty much in the bandwagon that Bill is a moron and has no clue how to run an offense. He over thinks things, is too smug and prideful, and has shown he's just not all there.
W
AG
it's been a strange season to date.

the Texans are 6-3 and only 1 game behind the conference leaders Patriots (7-2) and Raiders (7-2) for a potential playoff bye. Yet the club has lots of issues.

also...the Texans have not played an easy schedule: Patriots (7-2), Chiefs (7-2), Broncos (7-3) --- 3 playoff teams. And both co-leaders of the NFC North: Lions (5-4) and Vikings (5-4). And a decent Titans (5-5) team.

so the 6-3 mark cannot be contributed to a soft schedule (other than the 2 games vs. the Bears and Jaguars)
Pahdz
He needs to be wearing out the middle with TE's. I know we have been using them more but if they are getting that cover 2 man look that's the way to beat it
MelvinUdall
Pahdz said:

He needs to be wearing out the middle with TE's. I know we have been using them more but if they are getting that cover 2 man look that's the way to beat it

I agree with this, that middle should be wide open for TE's, Miller, and Miller.
bilbobag
Keep an eye on Lamar Miller and Blue. Both Had MRI's Waiting on results.

Hunt staying on 53, Hilliard resigned to Practice squad..

Grimes not healthy either
Buck Compton
AG
bilbobag said:

Keep an eye on Lamar Miller and Blue. Both Had MRI's Waiting on results.

Hunt staying on 53, Hilliard resigned to Practice squad..

Grimes not healthy either
Any interest in a CMike pickup? We could be hurting bad if Miller and blue are out.
AgsMyDude
AG

Mr.Bond
Buck Compton
Ags #1
AG
Any update on blue and Miller?
bilbobag
Miller shoulder is somewhat fine just will take time to heal. Flares up time to time.. Some numbness.

Blue's calf could cause him to miss Monday night.

Was with Demeco and Dre today putting the final stamp on getting out 1500 turkeys to families that otherwise wouldn't have one for Thanksgiving.. awesome experience.
CFTXAG10
AG
bilbobag said:

Was with Demeco and Dre today putting the final stamp on getting out 1500 turkeys to families that otherwise wouldn't have one for Thanksgiving.. awesome experience.
Love it.
LilSebastian13
AG
When are we going to retire 80?
bilbobag
Blue out for Raiders
AG@RICE
AG
I heard many times this week that Hopkins had a bad game on Sunday (here and on the radio...I don't know why I listen to the radio). Since I wasn't going to get my Texans fix today, I decided to rewatch our offensive plays against the Jaguars to see if this was true.

TLDR: Hopkins was our best offensive player in that game.

Drive 1 Lamar Miller big run, TD

Drive 2 We get to their half of the field, 3 and 13 Hopkins draws a PI that is nullified by Clark penalty. Replay 3rd down, we run all routes shorter than 8 yrds, Hopkins wide open Brock chooses CJ (also open) stopped short. Miss field goal. Hopkins also made an amazing catch on this drive.

Drive 3 Brock makes a big run. 3rd and 10 Hopkins makes an incredible catch while being held. 3 and 3. Hopkins runs a flat route short of the first down. Brock throws it behind him and before Hopkins is ready. He is also about to get lit up by 2 defenders. Missed field goal.

Drive 4 28 seconds. We get one deep throw to a double covered Hopkins that is slightly overthrown: No chance of a catch. Next play brock bounces one to a wide open Hopkins: No chance of a catch. Deep desperation throw to a double covered Hopkins that lands out of bounds: no chance of a catch. End of half

Second Half:
Drive 5 1st Down: Brock makes a tough throw to Hopkins who can't catch it. Would have been an amazing catch if he made the play. 3rd Down: Incomplete to Hopkins who caught it out of bounds. He might have caught it if they reviewed it, but they didn't because both tackles were called for holding. Punt

Drive 6: Deandre drops a tough contested throw (He runs a crossing route off of a play action and is open the entire time. Brock throws it to him late, making it contested.) Akeem Hunt with a patented big run, chris clark with a patented holding penalty. Basically ends the drive: Punt.

Drive 7: Big return by Ervin, TD throw to Anderson. Great play design. We used this same TE play twice on the jags with big success.

Drive 8: Ramsey and Hopkins wrestle at the line, Hopkins throws him off and gets called for an offensive PI. Bad call, but whatever. No call was most appropriate. Hunt with a huge run on 3 and 16. We run with great success for 3-4 plays, go for the play action and Brock takes a big sack. Hopkins was moderately open, but it is debatable whether or not Brock could have gotten the ball to him IF he was looking at him. Made field goal.

Drive 9: 2nd and 9, Brock threw it slightly behind Hopkins, who makes a good catch on the sideline. Drive ends with Hunt catching a swing pass short of the 1st.

Drive 10: 2 minutes left. Game on the line. 3 and 5. Hopkins burns Ramsey and catches the ball in traffic. Ball game...except BoB runs the ball 2x with 1:10 left on the clock on 2nd and 3rd down. Math anyone?

We ran the ball really well in the second half of this game and the line had some great moments run blocking. All 3 backs ran well. Brock had some good throws, but missed some in very big moments. Our line also had some really bad moments (penalties!). They both need to be more consistent. Deandre doesn't need to do anything different. With a better QB/Oline he easily gets over 100 yards in this game. He was open several times and Brock simply didn't see him or didn't have time. Even without putting up big numbers he was still a key reason we won. He dragged the safeties all over the field and had 3-4 really great contested catches that most receivers won't come up with. He probably could have 2 or 3 more incredible catches but he was having an off day....but he was still damn good.

Ryan34
AG
The problem with Hopkins is that he isn't giving 100% effort on every play, and on some of those he actually still gets targeted, which turns into either an incompletion or an interception.
AG@RICE
AG
Ryan34 said:

The problem with Hopkins is that he isn't giving 100% effort on every play, and on some of those he actually still gets targeted, which turns into either an incompletion or an interception.
I only had TV angles, but I didnt see anything to support that idea. I watched him on every play. I'm not sure I am an expert on what "giving 100% effort" looks like, but he ran hard on every play they showed on TV.
W
AG
one game of interest today: Titans (5-5) at Colts (4-5). Looking for an Indy win in this one
Frok
AG
Watching Prescott play so well for Dallas really makes me mad at the Texans front office. Not only do they make one of the worst free agent signings of all time, they also never draft QB's.
W
AG
the Colts (5-5) do their job and beat the Titans (5-6).

Tennessee falls to 1-3 in the division. Texans (3-0 vs. the division) will own that tiebreaker
BMX Bandit
Frok said:

Watching Prescott play so well for Dallas really makes me mad at the Texans front office. Not only do they make one of the worst free agent signings of all time, they also never draft QB's.

Calling osweiler one of the worst free agent signings of all time shows a complete lack of understanding of his contracts as well as complete ignorance of history of free agency
MelvinUdall
BMX Bandit said:

Frok said:

Calling osweiler one of the worst free agent signings of all time shows a complete lack of understanding of his contracts as well as complete ignorance of history of free agency

Unfortunately fans just look at the signing and lack of results and assume it was the worst. The word when it comes to Brock, would be a $100 million deal for 6 years $60 million guaranteed, that would be the worst. As it stands they can be out of this deal in 2 years and nothing is lost.
Frok
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Frok said:

Maybe so. But right now the Texans are paying $21 million this year for one of the worst starters in the league. Sure they can get out of his contract after two years but that is two more years of idleness. I wish they would have drafted a QB as well so they have two chances of hitting on a QB.

W
AG
I wouldn't quite say "nothing is lost." Two more years of the career of the greatest defensive player in this century is / would be lost.

J.J. is not getting any younger
MelvinUdall
W said:

I wouldn't quite say "nothing is lost." Two more years of the career of the greatest defensive player in this century is / would be lost.

J.J. is not getting any younger
Don't get me wrong JJ is missed, especially his sacks, but this D has played pretty damn good this year outside a couple of games. While I don't want to waste anymore of JJ Watts career on poor QB play, going back to the original comment, this is not the worst FA signing of all time.
AgsMyDude
AG
I think it's more about getting him a contract before a face to face to me. The contract is what it is though.
bilbobag
There were plenty of teams that passed on Dak.. no one and I mean no one thought he had this in him.. what he is doing now is Brady like.. it will be interesting to see how the rest of the year plays out and next year and if he can sustain it

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.