*** TEXANS 2016 SEASON THREAD ***

137,799 Views | 1614 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Farmer1906
Ags #1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are you saying that made a difference in which down to challenge? Honest question, what is the point?
Flogi
Trash. They put barbed wire and chain link fence as a deterrent for the animals.
cc10106
bilbobag said:

There were plenty of teams that passed on Dak.. no one and I mean no one thought he had this in him.. what he is doing now is Brady like.. it will be interesting to see how the rest of the year plays out and next year and if he can sustain it
I wasn't expecting him to perform at this level this soon, which let's be honest would not be happening without that o-line, but I wanted Houston to draft him despite the Osweiler signing. I guess i watched him more in college than others, but he had great development with Mullen at State and showed there what he could do against top competition. They were pretty stacked in '14 with upperclassmen, but he was by far the main reason they were #1 in the first CFB playoff rankings.

It's okay for people to admit they missed an obvious diamond in the rough, especially when so many others did. I just don't buy that no one saw this coming.
Ags #1
AG
So which round did you want the Texans to draft him in?
cc10106
Third or fourth round
AgsMyDude
AG
nhayden said:

Ag12thman said:

nhayden said:

What an absolute joke on the 4th down review. I am sure we will hear about how they made a mistake on the Hopkins out of bounds and the 4th down review.
Two way-wrong calls.

Can you tell me where I am wrong? I will hang up and listen.

You are wrong by saying "I will hang up and listen" on an Internet forum.
aTm2004
AG
Ok, here's how the NFL will respond to the officiating issues:

1. Hopkins not getting a TD: "It was a judgement call that the official had to make in an instant. They do a great job 99% of the time on calls that close."
2. Braxton Miller's horrible spot on 3rd when he rolled over the defender, and Lamar Miller's 3rd down run in the 4th: "The coaches have the ability to challenge a spot if they feel the spot is incorrect." The refs screwed up on these, but they'll deflect since Asschin had the ability to challenge and didn't.
AG@RICE
AG
Is it weird that I feel better about my team after losing this week than I did after they won last week?

The refs and the challenges were a big problem, but BOB (or whoever called the plays) did not help himself with the play calling in critical moments.I thought we should have also been a little more aggressive on offense in the first half. If we would have went for it on that close 4th and 1 in the first half there is a chance we could have blown them out. If we could have kept Oaks defense out on the field for the majority of that 1st quarter that altitude would have done them in. Instead it really slowed our defense down in the 4th. You could see they were definitely getting slower as the game went on.

TexAgs1992
bilbobag said:

I will get roasted for this but one thing worth mentioning and not defending OB or the Texans, but I wonder what replay technology was used at that stadium for reviews. Not as many cameras. That's an old stadium. Lastly, what feed were coaching staffs getting to see. Not same setup. Big elephant in the room for me.

If that is the case, we should not be playing in Mexico.
BMX Bandit
The lack of replay cameras were not a problem with those spot calls in the fourth quarter. At a minimum, they have access to the TV feed.

Ryan34
AG
I thought we outplayed Oakland most of the night. Just allowed too many big plays defensively and couldn't make them offensively. Refs also cost us at least 7 points IMO.

Also, that field was awful. The NFL should not play there until it is fixed at a minimum.
Ag_07
AG
BMX Bandit said:

The lack of replay cameras were not a problem with those spot calls in the fourth quarter. At a minimum, they have access to the TV feed.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I read that that 76k seat stadium doesn't have one elevator or escalator.

It wouldn't be hard to imagine a coach's box without tvs. Coaches may not have had anything to work to let Bill know to throw the flag.

The refs have no excuse but Bill may have an excuse of why he didn't throw the flags. I could certainly see that situation.
Ag Since 83
AG
Hard to think about how if we had pulled it out, we'd have a realistic chance at a first round bye.

The most important thing now is to consistently bring that level of performance - that was so much better than what we had been seeing recently. Last night's team wins the division easily.
BMX Bandit
I would think that someone would have said there were no TVs if that were the case.

Has anyone said that?
TxAggieBand85
AG
Turned off the game when the Texans punted before 2 minute warning. Looks like I did not miss anything. Seems they got hosed on a couple of calls.

• Out of Bounds missed judged
  • Forth down during a drive

In the end, the result is the same. Another loss, another excuse, another time for coach to own up to it.
aTm2004
AG
Ag_07 said:

BMX Bandit said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I read that that 76k seat stadium doesn't have one elevator or escalator.

It wouldn't be hard to imagine a coach's box without tvs. Coaches may not have had anything to work to let Bill know to throw the flag.

The refs have no excuse but Bill may have an excuse of why he didn't throw the flags. I could certainly see that situation.
I doubt they didn't have access to feeds, but if that's the case, then there should not be another game played in Mexico until they can get that corrected. They also shouldn't allow the game to be played if the teams aren't afforded the same technology/tools during their game as other teams had. In a league where 1 game can decide a playoff spot or not, handicapping a team could cost them millions.
BBQ4Me
AG
They also shouldn't play games in Mexico if people in the crowd are going to aim green lasers at QBs' eyes
Ag_07
AG
Yeah I agree with that.

And I'm not saying that was the case. I have no info on that at all.

I'm just saying that if the stadium doesn't have escalators or sufficient locker rooms (which they had to add to get an NFL game) then it wouldn't be a surprise if we later found out that there were no tvs or if the tvs only got the in house big screen views and not the ESPN feed in the coaches box and Bill had no way to tell if he should or shouldn't challenge.

It's a good point bilbo brought up.
BMX Bandit
If that is the case, that will be known in the media today.

There is just no way something like that stays a "secret "
bilbobag
If you have the time, go read Watt's players tribune article. He talks about a little known Staph infection that we caught early that kept him from losing his leg. It was kept under wraps at his discretion.

It seemed fairly innocent at that time but within a couple hours had progressively worse. Stash infections aren't no joke
Ag Since 83
AG
Whoa
MelvinUdall
bilbobag said:

If you have the time, go read Watt's players tribune article. He talks about a little known Staph infection that we caught early that kept him from losing his leg. It was kept under wraps at his discretion.

It seemed fairly innocent at that time but within a couple hours had progressively worse. Stash infections aren't no joke

Excellent article.
bilbobag
https://www.facebook.com/KHOUDanielGotera/videos/1303920846295320/

Lasers you say

Doesn't show up like this on the cut tape
gougler08
AG
bilbobag said:

Lasers you say

His jersey was green a few times in the 2nd half...but that should have been expected if you've ever watched the US Soccer team (or anyone else) at the Azteca
titanmaster_race
gougler08 said:

bilbobag said:

Lasers you say

His jersey was green a few times in the 2nd half...but that should have been expected if you've ever watched the US Soccer team (or anyone else) at the Azteca
bilbobag
It's funny that Carr didn't have this problem nor was the proper precautions taken as this has happens in the past. NFL did a poor job was this game.

It wasn't just his jersey either. Dead square on his face
CFTXAG10
AG
NFL Insiders on ESPN ripping into the officials for the ball spot in the 4th quarter and siding with BOB. They said the HOP call was close so they understand it, but in my opinion and as stated by many others you have to let that play go and then go to replay to see if he was in fact out of bounds.

Also of interesting note:

Texans are the least penalized team in the NFL - Had 7 for 101 yards
Raiders are the most penalized team in the NFL - Had 4 for 21 yards
oh no
AG
the ball spot on consecutive downs, 3rd and 4th, late Q4 in the redzone in a tie game just felt crooked to me. didn't feel like a "just part of the game" normal officiating mistake or misjudgement. felt dirty. the 3rd down spot looked awful, but the 4th down spot was reviewed and every camera angle that ESPN had showed an obvious 1st down.. doesn't even make any sense.
Buck Compton
AG
oh no said:

the ball spot on consecutive downs, 3rd and 4th, late Q4 in the redzone in a tie game just felt crooked to me. didn't feel like a "just part of the game" normal officiating mistake or misjudgement. felt dirty. the 3rd down spot looked awful, but the 4th down spot was reviewed and every camera angle that ESPN had showed an obvious 1st down.. doesn't even make any sense.
Even the Nuk call... Listen for how late/delayed the whistle is. It's once he is breaking away again and going to score.
shano0603
AG
MelvinUdall
oh no said:

I would get it if it was close and could go either way, by damn the 4th down play he had cleared the 1st down line by almost a yard. I am not into conspiracies, but I am not totally sure how they kissed that. The Nuk play they should have just swallowed their whistle and then had it reviewed.
CFTXAG10
AG
bilbobag said:

Great article.

"The kid in me is back.
Am I done?
Hell no.
I'm just getting started."
aTm2004
AG
The first pic, ESPN showed a different angle as well and it was clear to everybody but Asschin.

The 2nd pic is him already on the ground. You need to see something similar to the first pic to know where the ball was when he was down by contact.
aTm2004
AG
nhayden said:

oh no said:

I would get it if it was close and could go either way, by damn the 4th down play he had cleared the 1st down line by almost a yard. I am not into conspiracies, but I am not totally sure how they kissed that. The Nuk play they should have just swallowed their whistle and then had it reviewed.
CFTXAG10
AG
Obviously the game script changes if Nuk scores a TD there, but lets say the Texans are up 4 at the point of the 4th quarter mishap with the ball spot. At the very least Novak comes out to kick a field goal to make it a 7 point lead. Then if the Texans give up a TD on the ensuing drive they are looking at an opportunity to go down and score to win the game in regulation or at least send it to OT.

Just so many things that the refs screwed up to influence the game. Another was the play where Mack tackles Braxton Miller, Miller lands on top of Mack and rolls over the line to gain. Ref marks it a yard short.

I still cannot recall any football game I have ever watched in my lifetime where I knew for sure sitting at home that my team had picked up the first down not once but twice and they still didn't give it to them. Unfortunately, this will all get swept under the rug in a matter of a day or two with the Thanksgiving slate of games right around the corner.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.