*** TEXANS 2016 SEASON THREAD ***

137,824 Views | 1614 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Farmer1906
TrillOBrien
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bilbobag said:

Savage didn't look all particularly good either. He needed the reps. High on some throws especially the 9 route which was thrown out of bounds.. Brock has been able to make that throw since week 2
I would take Savage overthrowing rather than Brock under throwing and leading to an interception. Brock has been doing that since week 1
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

For the life of me I can't understand why people here are so enamored with BoB. Hell, the fact that he played a starting qb in a meaningless game and got him injured on a damn QB sneak is fireable in and of itself.

Your preference was to sit him and ride into the playoffs with an offense with no momentum and a QB short on game reps?

The offense needed every snap they could get, including trying to execute things like QB sneaks.

Starting him is. It a horrible offense, but running a qb sneak is not smart in any way ever in a meaningless game
bilbobag
For me, I think you highly suggest OB hire an OC.. He needs to take some of the stress off his back. You have a true DC, have a true OC
CFTXAG10
AG
At least it gives BOB a full week of practice to drill it into Osweiler's head to try not to turn the ball over. Be a game manager. Not a hero.

Let the defense help you get the win against Oakland, pray your run game shows up against the 23rd worst run D in yards, T-25 in rush TD's allowed. Set up the opportunity to get waxed by The Hoodie.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
bilbobag said:

For me, I think you highly suggest OB hire an OC.. He needs to take some of the stress off his back. You have a true DC, have a true OC

Concur with this. Never been a fan of NFL head coaches calling plays.
. . .
Quote:

Sources: Bill O'Brien wants out of #Houston because of bad relationship w/ GM Rick Smith. More at 1p.

The impetus behind the O'Brien exit is Rick & Bill have a very bad relationship. This isn't new or something came about recently. This goes back 2 years. When Hard Knocks was here, the crew noticed a bad relationship between O'Brien & Smith. O'Brien & Smith have had a bad relationship & it has continued to deteriorate.

Source went on and talked about how the Osweiler signing was Rick Smith's idea & he forced it on O'Brien. This was Rick Smith telling O'Brien this is who your QB is gonna be. The source continued to go on and said the only FA signing this year that O'Brien had any input on is Lamar Miller.

O'Brien & Smith do not get along in any way, shape or form. O'Brien expected to have more input than he's gotten.

O'Brien wanted to go into this year as Tom Savage as starting QB. O'Brien's plan was Savage as the starter, you could bring in a vet. backup or draft a guy. If you remember, Bob McNair, he wanted to draft a QB. O'Brien wanted to roll with Savage but Smith wanted Osweiler & he was going to have Osweiler.

Audio
bilbobag
Brock's issue is his progression and accuracy, if his first read isn't available it's deer in heads lights capitalize with inaccuracies, you get problems.

I do think the two weeks watching has helped him which I suggested a lkng time ago.
TrillOBrien
AG
bilbobag said:

George Godsey is a sorry excuse of a play-caller...or BoB..i don't even know who calls plays anymore
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Hope you're right... we will see.
bilbobag
Some of that is true, not the entirety.. I wonder if his source is JLC.. haha
ac
J_R said:

Quote:

Sources: Bill O'Brien wants out of #Houston because of bad relationship w/ GM Rick Smith. More at 1p.

The impetus behind the O'Brien exit is Rick & Bill have a very bad relationship. This isn't new or something came about recently. This goes back 2 years. When Hard Knocks was here, the crew noticed a bad relationship between O'Brien & Smith. O'Brien & Smith have had a bad relationship & it has continued to deteriorate.

Source went on and talked about how the Osweiler signing was Rick Smith's idea & he forced it on O'Brien. This was Rick Smith telling O'Brien this is who your QB is gonna be. The source continued to go on and said the only FA signing this year that O'Brien had any input on is Lamar Miller.

O'Brien & Smith do not get along in any way, shape or form. O'Brien expected to have more input than he's gotten.

O'Brien wanted to go into this year as Tom Savage as starting QB. O'Brien's plan was Savage as the starter, you could bring in a vet. backup or draft a guy. If you remember, Bob McNair, he wanted to draft a QB. O'Brien wanted to roll with Savage but Smith wanted Osweiler & he was going to have Osweiler.

Audio
If this really is the case, then its Smith who needs to go, not BoB. He's long since overstayed his welcome anyway.
CFTXAG10
AG
I don't believe in a lot of conspiracy theories, but in this case there has to be something going on behind the scenes between McNair and Smith. IMO this is more than loyalty.
TrillOBrien
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

I don't believe in a lot of conspiracy theories, but in this case there has to be something going on behind the scenes between McNair and Smith. IMO this is more than loyalty.
Smith probably has dirt on McNair
shano0603
AG
https://medium.com/sport*****le/breaking-texans-raiders-agree-to-hire-peyton-manning-as-all-time-quarterback-for-their-wildcard-f50f7ab77189#.h6a58bi7v
6-4-3
AG
If Cook gets his first ever NFL start in this road playoff game, the Texans should win by 10. If the Texans lose in this situation, it will be an interesting offseason.
oh no
AG
In the event that Connor Cook does beat the Texans in the playoffs, there will be a silver lining in a sense that Cook still has three years left in his rookie contract so Slick Rick Smith can't go and offer him $72 million just yet.
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

George Godsey is a sorry excuse of a play-caller...or BoB..i don't even know who calls plays anymore

They don't even know. I've heard Bill on his radio show say that no one person calls plays and its dynamic and sometimes it's Godsey and sometimes it's him.

So HTF can an offense get an identity and cohesion with two play callers? That approach to me is asinine.
AgsMyDude
AG
Ag_07 said:

Quote:

They don't even know. I've heard Bill on his radio show say that no one person calls plays and its dynamic and sometimes it's Godsey and sometimes it's him.

So HTF can an offense get an identity and cohesion with two play callers? That approach to me is asinine.

I've heard that too and that they almost switch play callers each drive.
AustinCountyAg
CFTXAG10 said:

I already addressed this..... rick smith must slob the knob very good
AG@RICE
AG
I've always thought Savage was some sort of low budget clone of Matt Schaub. He is tubby, immobile, injury prone and they both even make the same dopey dumbass face. What better way to cement that reputation than to get injured on a qb sneak...

I really don't want to lose BOB. He really does seem like the most competent football mind in that group. That being said, he makes a ton of dumbass decision and really owes Romeo and the D a round of bjs for constantly bailing out his poorly coached offense.
oh no
AG
list of QBs that have started for the Houston Texans in the last three seasons:

Brooke Oswoman (14), Fitzpatrick (12), Hoyer (9), Mallett (6), Keenum (2), Yates (2), Savage (2), Weeden (1)

limited talent and limited continuity... BoB has certainly had his work cut out for him.. though I believe guys like Hoyer and Mallett were guys he went and sought out (thinking they were Belichick/Tom Brady-trained and ready) and Savage is his draft pick.
gougler08
AG
Hoyer was pretty serviceable until the playoff collapse
bilbobag
Savage wasn't an OB pick.. Perception isn't reality
Ag_07
AG
So the most important position on the team and they're stuck with two guys the HC didn't want.

That's the problem here. Just seems like there's no defined roles and responsibilities within the organization. Sometimes Rick picks, sometimes Bill picks, sometimes McNair says which FAs to sign, sometimes it's Rick, sometimes George calls plays, sometimes Bill calls plays.

Just a true shlt show of an operation with no accountability.
bilbobag
Rick is playing dirty. He feels untouchable and now possibly going to chase away good coach.

Rick and his camp are responsible for all the "reports" coming out trying to make OB look like a bad organizational fit..

It's going to be interesting to see how all this plays out.

They aren't seeing eye to eye that's for sure.

One has to think Rick is feeling the heat for Brock and protecting his turf and job and why the leaks. These are calculated leaks

Have to wonder if McNair sees this..
bilbobag
What I think is going on is OB has a good vision of how to win and it doesn't mesh wish Rick's vision. McNair is just a neutral observer most of the time.

It's the first time the head coach has butted heads with the GM.

McNair should have blown it up when Kubes was fired and when it came time to step up, Rick tuned his back on Kubes.
oh no
AG
bilbobag said:

One has to think if Rick is feeling the heat for Brock ...
He should be feeling the heat damn it. I wish he would be looking for another job instead of trying to protect himself.. I suppose he's doing both.
JJxvi
AG
Winning games is a bad organizational fit.
bilbobag
There's more to the OB and Rick stuff but I am going to stop commenting. My gut tells me OB doesn't go anywhere. McNair and OB have a good relationship.
Pahdz
Good, Rick Smith can EAD if this is how that petulant child wants to handle this.
KidDoc
AG
bilbobag said:

There's more to the OB and Rick stuff but I am going to stop commenting. My gut tells me OB doesn't go anywhere. McNair and OB have a good relationship.
Really appreciate your insight on this team Bilbo!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CFTXAG10
AG
Let OB & Rick fight it out UFC style. Winner keeps his job. My money is on the chin.
LilSebastian13
AG
Appreciate the insight you do share. It's interesting to say the least.
Frok
AG
AG@RICE said:

I've always thought Savage was some sort of low budget clone of Matt Schaub. He is tubby, immobile, injury prone and they both even make the same dopey dumbass face. What better way to cement that reputation than to get injured on a qb sneak...

I really don't want to lose BOB. He really does seem like the most competent football mind in that group. That being said, he makes a ton of dumbass decision and really owes Romeo and the D a round of bjs for constantly bailing out his poorly coached offense.

Romeo is the real reason they've been able to win 9 games every year. The defense has been pretty good no matter how many injuries they have.
shano0603
AG
So are we in agreement that we need to let OB do whatever he needs to get 1, if not 2 QB's in the offseason?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.