*** TEXANS 2016 SEASON THREAD ***

137,801 Views | 1614 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Farmer1906
AgsMyDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If Rick Smith outlast BOB and Osweiler... I might be doing something else with my time other than following this team, and I've been doing so since the expansion draft.
W
AG
McNair's critical mistake...you hire & fire your GM and head coach in pairs. Smith should have been sacked when Kubiak was fired. And both a new GM and new head coach brought in.

BoB, like most coaches, probably has his eye on the Colts job. All the "offensive" coaches would love to team up with Andrew Luck
ac
W said:

McNair's critical mistake...you hire & fire your GM and head coach in pairs. Smith should have been sacked when Kubiak was fired. And both a new GM and new head coach brought in.

BoB, like most coaches, probably has his eye on the Colts job. All the "offensive" coaches would love to team up with Andrew Luck
If BoB is under contract, he can't change teams without the Texans receiving compensation. Would the Colts trade draft picks to a team in their own division.
BMX Bandit
ac said:

W said:

If BoB is under contract, he can't change teams without the Texans receiving compensation. Would the Colts trade draft picks to a team in their own division.

Because they know who will be making the picks.

(Though the Colts probably even worse at GM than Texans)
AG@RICE
AG
ac said:

W said:

If we fire BOB we aren't owed any compensation.
Mr.Bond
AG
http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-will-lose-75-million-televising-raiders-texans-010217
BMX Bandit
Would like to see the basis for "can only make $25mm"

And even in that crappy spot, the KC-Texans game last year got 25mm viewers.
KidDoc
AG
I found a preview for the playoff game Saturday.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
k20dub
AG
Mr.Bond said:

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-will-lose-75-million-televising-raiders-texans-010217
Guess that means ESPN will be talking about us a lot this week.
MelvinUdall
If there is a mutual of parting ways or he is fired, they will lose me as a fan, I have never said that once as a fan. While BoB has his issues as a coach, I will contend that he has been the best coach the organization has hired. Certainly the statement is debatable with saying he is the best because one could argue that Kubiak for a couple of year was a better coach overall, but I like what BoB has been able to do while being in limited in different positions. I think all would agree that Smith's time is up and he should be let go, that however would open to BoB being let go as well since the new GM would want to hire his own coach.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Connor Cook will be the raiders starter Saturday. We may have a trip to foxborough
bilbobag
Brock will start Saturday. The when and if cleared with Savage are the issues. Can't have any distractions and have to go with the healthy QB. Better game plan knowing who will start
TexAgs1992
bilbobag said:

Brock will start Saturday. The when and if cleared with Savage are the issues. Can't have any distractions and have to go with the healthy QB. Better game plan knowing who will start
This organization really wants to lose its' fanbase.
BMX Bandit
TexAgs1992 said:

bilbobag said:

If the fan base can't see why Osweiler is starting, they are dumber than I thought.
ElCheAg
AG
Why couldn't BoB have put Assweiler in for that 4 & 1 QB sneak instead. . . .. .
aTm2004
AG
TexAgs1992 said:

bilbobag said:

You'd rather them plan around starting a QB that might not be out of concussion protocol rather than move forward knowing who will take the snaps on Saturday? Or, do you suggest they look the other way and let Savage start regardless of the status of his concussion?
aTm2004
AG
ElCheAg said:

Why couldn't BoB have put Assweiler in for that 4 & 1 QB sneak instead. . . .. .
He would have thrown an INT rather than lunging forward.
ac
They weren't exactly scoring a lot of points with Savage at QB. His main advantage was that he doesn't throw Ints the way that Osweiler does. Luckily, they're playing a team with a worse QB situation. They may score more defensive TDs than offensive ones.
W
AG
it's a mess.

and perhaps the most frustrating thing...McNair has been the owner for 15 seasons. And Smith the GM for 11 seasons. Yet this stuff still happens.

Where is the learning curve? Where someone gets better / more skilled at something as they get more experience doing it.

the clownshow continues
k20dub
AG

Mr.Bond
AG
I ****ing HATE rick smith.......Id punch him in the face if given the opportunity

"It's a battle between Matt McGloin/Connor Cook and Tom Savage/Brock Osweiler for the right to advance to play the New England Patriots and be executed on live television."
JJxvi
AG
The fact that Rick Smith survived the Kubiak firing is hilarious enough, but that he could win a power struggle with another coach even after Kubiak won the Super Bowl two years later is nonsensical.
bilbobag
Over the last month now thinking about it, you can see it in his face. Doesn't or isn't as happy to me as I have seen him in the past.. OB that is. The only outlier here is if something is going on at home but doubt it's that.

You let OB go this year weither it now or in a couple of weeks, you are behind the 8 ball with getting a new coach..

Easier to retain OB and get rid of Smith.
TexAgs1992
What I cannot stand is the lack of transparency this franchise provides to the public. You don't see Rick Smith or Cal McNair doing interviews like Lunhow with the Astros and/or Morey and Tad Brown with the Rockets. No one presses the Texans about their vision. Morey and Lunhow talk about a plan and how they're going to get there. The Texans organization does not from the top-level down.
gougler08
AG
TexAgs1992 said:

What I cannot stand is the lack of transparency this franchise provides to the public. You don't see Rick Smith or Cal McNair doing interviews like Lunhow with the Astros and/or Morey and Tad Brown with the Rockets. No one presses the Texans about their vision. Morey and Lunhow talk about a plan and how they're going to get there. The Texans organization does not from the top-level down.
It's because they don't have one
aTm2004
AG
If Rick Smith isn't gone soon, the team will lose more fans than trotting Schaub out there on week 1 next season.
TrillOBrien
AG
The only relevant thing Rick Smith has ever done is draft JJ Watt. That's it...and he was the only person in the war room on draft night not ready to pick him (thank God Wade Phillips has a brain). One accomplishment in 11 years with the team. He has struggled every single year in trying to find a QB and can't draft a decent player after the 2nd round to save his life. The fact that Bob McNair has kept this buffoon on payroll for this long baffles me. And because of his incompetence, we may lose the best head coach we have had in franchise history? I'm sorry, but BoB has done everything in his power to succeed with the lack of talent Rick Smith has thrown his way over the last 3 years.
Utterly disgusted at Bob McNair's lack of leadership in owning up to his mistakes and not reprimanding Rick Smith for his countless failures.
If we lose BoB after the season, we will be set back 5+ years, and you can say goodbye to Clowney, Hopkins, McKinney, etc. when they become free agents.

We are a mediocre team, and we will continue to be a mediocre team until McNair either sells the team to someone competent enough to run it or until he grows some balls and fires Smith.
bilbobag
Rick does a segment on 610 so I thought.. maybe that's during training camp.. can remember
bilbobag
JJ was Wade and Kubiak call
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
For the life of me I can't understand why people here are so enamored with BoB. Hell, the fact that he played a starting qb in a meaningless game and got him injured on a damn QB sneak is fireable in and of itself.

That said, I obviously agree that smith should be gone - and I would want this way ahead of Obrien leaving, but I don't see what great things he has done for this team.
LilSebastian13
AG
bilbobag said:

JJ was Wade and Kubiak call
So what has Rick actually done that is a notable positive for the current state of the franchise?
TrillOBrien
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

For the life of me I can't understand why people here are so enamored with BoB. Hell, the fact that he played a starting qb in a meaningless game and got him injured on a damn QB sneak is fireable in and of itself.

That said, I obviously agree that smith should be gone - and I would want this way ahead of Obrien leaving, but I don't see what great things he has done for this team.
BoB has found ways to win with abysmal QB play. Kubiak couldn't do it with Schuab. In a year where Schuab threw for over 4,700 yards in 2009, we still only won 9 games. For comparison's sake, Osweiler thew for 2,900 yards this year, and it resulted in the same number of wins. You can make the argument that the defense now is MUCH better than it was in that 2009 season, but Kubiak and BoB are both offensive minded coaches, and BoB has done a better job of winning with the talent each coach had on their offense.

The one consistent factor during those coach's tenure? Rick Smith.
I think we can all agree that the front office is the root of all our problems
Ag Since 83
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Your preference was to sit him and ride into the playoffs with an offense with no momentum and a QB short on game reps?

The offense needed every snap they could get, including trying to execute things like QB sneaks.
TexAgs1992
bilbobag said:

Rick does a segment on 610 so I thought.. maybe that's during training camp.. can remember
Who throws extremely soft ball questions at the front office and the coaching staff. Enough is enough.
bilbobag
Savage didn't look all particularly good either. He needed the reps. High on some throws especially the 9 route which was thrown out of bounds.. Brock has been able to make that throw since week 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.