Daily Charts

595,929 Views | 2786 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieUSMC
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fitch
AG
Louisiana likewise having a not very fun time.
hoosierAG
AG
Deleted due to correction from below
AggieAuditor
AG
There was a data dump.
hoosierAG
AG
Oh gotcha, I'll delete my post...I just saw the headline and I should know better. Trust me ...not a fear monger or anything.
hoosierAG
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ktvu.com/news/cdc-florida-breaks-record-with-more-than-21000-new-covid-cases.amp

Doesn't look like a dump. Single day record and was 17,000 plus day before
AggieAuditor
AG
who knows anymore

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9847285/Florida-Delaware-skew-Delta-death-figures-massive-data-dump-taking-total-300-day.html
cc_ag92
AG
21,000 isn't their weekly number. Last week (7/23 7/29) they had 110,477 cases (averaging 15,782 cases per day). That being said, I have no idea where the 21,000 number came from since their official reporting does happen once per week as you posted.
http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partners/covid19_report_archive/covid19-data/covid19_data_latest.pdf
PJYoung
AG
AustinAg008 said:

Not buying it.

Seems like folks are back to driving Covid hysteria again

Old Buffalo
AG
State of Texas.

Beat40
I think we should all watch this in regards to Florida for context of their numbers. It's a round table with the governor and the hospital CEOs.

Basic message I got is they are seeing surge, the vaccinate the elderly population strategy is working, seeing shorter hospital times as the population is younger, mainly unvaccinated in hospital, COVID patients make up around 1/4 of the total hospitalizations for some or most of the hospitals. Biggest challenge they are facing is staffing shortages and burnout.

They are all high on monoclonal antibodies and want the messaging to get out to get them as soon as you can once you show positive.

A few CEOs say their docs are seeing quicker spread, but less deaths than last summer.

It's a really good watch to put what's going on in Florida right now In perspective. I'd wager similar discussions and results in other states as well.

P.U.T.U
AG
So we are fully open and despite being partially shut down at the same time last year we have a lot less deaths and hospitalizations. Vaccinations, younger population getting infected, and what we saw in Europe a virus being a virus becoming more infectious and less deadly. Florida and Texas spiked at this time last year so an increase in numbers should not be a surprise.

These should be looked at as positives and not public fear.
NASAg03
Old Buffalo said:

State of Texas.

what you're saying is: this is seasonal and NPI's don't affect the curve for a highly contagious respiratory virus. Got it!
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
P.U.T.U said:

So we are fully open and despite being partially shut down at the same time last year we have a lot less deaths and hospitalizations. Vaccinations, younger population getting infected, and what we saw in Europe a virus being a virus becoming more infectious and less deadly. Florida and Texas spiked at this time last year so an increase in numbers should not be a surprise.

We actually are trending near identical numbers of hospitalizations compared to last year despite having a significantly younger patient population which is pretty concerning. This virus is not getting any less deadly, although deaths will likely be lower due to a younger population being hospitalized currently. For the last 2 weeks I have been seeing about 10 COVID patients a shift, and admitting 4-5 to the hospital due to oxygen requirements. Average age is around 40, but obviously half of those patients are 20-30 year olds. We will probably see less deaths due to younger ages, however, death numbers do not completely tell the story of the impact this current wave is having. Every ER in my area has been on EMS diversion for the last two weeks.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Old Buffalo
AG
I'll refrain from my opinions on this Chart thread. Infer what you wish.
wbt5845
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

This virus is not getting any less deadly, although deaths will likely be lower due to a younger population being hospitalized currently.
Could you explain what this means? How can the disease not be less deadly if deaths go down?
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
The demographics have changed, not the lethality. If you go from 20% of COVID cases occurring over the age of 60 to 1% (these are made up numbers), you are going to see a reduction in overall death, as the death rate is much higher in the older population.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Gordo14
wbt5845 said:

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

This virus is not getting any less deadly, although deaths will likely be lower due to a younger population being hospitalized currently.
Could you explain what this means? How can the disease not be less deadly if deaths go down?

It only appears less deadly because the most at risk population is largely vaccinated. If that weren't the case, the deaths and hospitalizations wouldn't have decoupled. So it has little to do with the virus being "less deadly".
PJYoung
AG
Gordo14 said:

wbt5845 said:

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

It only appears less deadly because the most at risk population is largely vaccinated. If that weren't the case, the deaths and hospitalizations wouldn't have decoupled. So it has little to do with the virus being "less deadly".

Treatment has gotten better and it's a much younger population that's being hospitalized since almost all of the elderly have been fully vaccinated.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
cone
AG
are these young patients uniformly unvaccinated?

the numbers are staggering if just within that tranche and young
Skillet Shot
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

P.U.T.U said:

We actually are trending near identical numbers of hospitalizations compared to last year despite having a significantly younger patient population which is pretty concerning. This virus is not getting any less deadly, although deaths will likely be lower due to a younger population being hospitalized currently. For the last 2 weeks I have been seeing about 10 COVID patients a shift, and admitting 4-5 to the hospital due to oxygen requirements. Average age is around 40, but obviously half of those patients are 20-30 year olds. We will probably see less deaths due to younger ages, however, death numbers do not completely tell the story of the impact this current wave is having. Every ER in my area has been on EMS diversion for the last two weeks.

How many of your 20-40 year old hospitalizations are obese or have other comorbidities?
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
cone said:

are these young patients uniformly unvaccinated?

the numbers are staggering if just within that tranche and young
All unvaccinated. I have not admitted a single vaccinated patient for COVID related issues, my N is ~60 admitted COVID patients over the last 2 months. I have admitted 2 vaccinated COVID+ patients that were being admitted for unrelated things. They were both in their 70s and both were asymptomatic for COVID. I have also seen 2 symptomatic breakthrough cases, both in their 70s, as well; however, both looked excellent clinically.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Skillet Shot said:

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

P.U.T.U said:

How many of your 20-40 year old hospitalizations are obese or have other comorbidities?
Most of them are obese. I have had a couple of 40 year olds that were not obese and had no known comorbidities.
Skillet Shot
Thank you for the response. I hope most people start to take their weight more seriously if/when covid ever passes.
cone
AG
just insane how relatively little naive population exists compared to six months ago and yet the trajectory is so steep
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Houston area daily new cases vs TSA Q hospitalizations and ICU patients

and some harris county plots from https://covidestim.org/us/TX/48201

seems like houston are hospitals could potentially be in for a rough time
cone
AG
they already are

despite all denials to the contrary
Fitch
AG
What're you hearing on your end?
cone
AG
primarily, if you go seek treatment at a stand-alone ER, and you are too sick to be successfully treated and discharged from there, they won't be able to find you a hospital bed in Texas or in Oklahoma or in Louisiana

so if you're really sick, go to a big hospital with a ICU and try to get in there and best of luck

in short, now's not the best time to be sick

and that's just the transfer situation. that's really temporary (I hope) compared to the front-line HC staff hitting the end of their rope.
Old Buffalo
AG
cone said:

primarily, if you go seek treatment at a stand-alone ER, and you are too sick to be successfully treated and discharged from there, they won't be able to find you a hospital bed in Texas or in Oklahoma or in Louisiana

so if you're really sick, go to a big hospital with a ICU and try to get in there and best of luck

in short, now's not the best time to be sick

and that's just the transfer situation. that's really temporary (I hope) compared to the front-line HC staff hitting the end of their rope.

Here are some quotes to back that up.

Quote:

"Tallia says his hospital is 'managing, but just barely,' at keeping up with the increased number of sick patients in the last three weeks. The hospital's urgent-care centers have also been inundated, and its outpatient clinics have no appointments available."

Quote:

"Dr. Bernard Camins, associate professor of infectious diseases at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, says that UAB Hospital cancelled elective surgeries scheduled for Thursday and Friday of last week to make more beds available"

Quote:

"We had to treat patients in places where we normally wouldn't, like in recovery rooms," says Camins. "The emergency room was very crowded, both with sick patients who needed to be admitted"

Quote:

"In CA several hospitals have set up large 'surge tents' outside their emergency departments to accommodate and treat patients. Even then, the LA Times reported this week, emergency departments had standing-room only, and some patients had to be treated in hallways."

Quote:

"In Fenton, Missouri, SSM Health St. Clare Hospital has opened its emergency overflow wing, as well as all outpatient centers and surgical holding centers, to make more beds available to patients who need them. Nurses are being "pulled from all floors to care for them,"

Quote:

"it's making their pre-existing conditions worse," she says. "More and more patients are needing mechanical ventilation due to respiratory failure"

Quote:

"From Laguna Beach to Long Beach, emergency rooms were struggling to cope with the overwhelming cases and had gone into 'diversion mode,' during which ambulances are sent to other hospitals."

Quote:

"Hospitals across the state are sending away ambulances, flying in nurses from out of state and not letting children visit their loved ones for fear they'll spread Others are canceling surgeries and erecting tents in their parking lots to triage the hordes of patients."

Quote:

"There's a little bit of a feeling of being in the trenches. We're really battling these infections to try to get them under control," McKinnell said. "We're still not sure if this is going to continue "

Quote:

"At Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, waiting rooms turned into exam areas as a medical tent was built in order to deal with the surge of patients. A Houston doctor said local hospital beds were at capacity"

Quote:

"Dr. Anthony Marinelli says they've seen a major spike in cases. It's so overwhelmed the community hospital that they've gone on bypass at times -- that means they tell ambulances to bypass this ER and find another."

Quote:

"Dr. Atallah, the chief of emergency medicine at Grady, says the hospital called on a mobile emergency department based nearly 250 miles away to help tackle the increasing patient demand. "At 500-plus patients a day you physically just need the space to put a patient in. "

Except these are all quotes from the 2018 flu season.
cone
AG
hey man you're right

this isn't uniquely ****ty at all

my contact is just being overly dramatic
Charpie
AG
Why are some of you here? Some of us want to read some of this stuff without your personal agendas getting in the way. Is it possible to just allow conversation about the charts and not about how you want to prove something?
Gordo14
PJYoung said:

Gordo14 said:

wbt5845 said:

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

Treatment has gotten better and it's a much younger population that's being hospitalized since almost all of the elderly have been fully vaccinated.

I would caution that at least according to Medcram monoclonal antibodies are not effective against the delta variant because they are targetted towards older variants. I think it's likely more a function of younger people catching COVID without vaccination.

I do think we will get through this in 2-3 weeks or so, but it's just sobering to see the hospitalizations, deaths and (even if they are less important now) cases sky rocket for such pointless reasons. Meanwhile Moderna reported that their vaccine is still killing it.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/05/moderna-covid-vaccine-booster-produces-robust-response-against-delta.html
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
the recent word we were told from our visit to the allergist this week (in houston) was that due to the overlap of this wave with the back part of the RSV spike, pediatric beds are essentially full right now. anecdotal so take that for what it's worth

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.