Daily Charts

562,940 Views | 2786 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieUSMC
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/tmc-daily-new-covid-19-hospitalizations/

Stupe
S
All of this happening because China didn't want to admit that they had an issue.
OCEN99
AG
PJYoung
AG
OCEN99 said:

Yep that's where I get the info from
PJYoung
AG
NASAg03
https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/covid-19-coronavirus-infographic-datapack/
74OA
AG
Stupe said:

All of this happening because China didn't want to admit that they had an issue.
.......and now Beijing is working overtime to blame the US for creating the virus. No Shame

"Parts of Chinese social media, and even the country's government, appear to have launched a concerted campaign to question the origin of the novel coronavirus, which has infected more than 125,000 people globally."
ETFan
NASAg03 said:

https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/covid-19-coronavirus-infographic-datapack/
I don't understand the relevance of the "media mentions" data?
Exsurge Domine
Italy 3500 cases today. That's ridiculous
ETFan
Exsurge Domine said:

I'm guessing this is because they were late to quarantine/shutdown and are catching up on testing?
Exsurge Domine
ETFan said:

Exsurge Domine said:

I'm guessing this is because they were late to quarantine/shutdown and are catching up on testing?

Yes, I hope so. I think we probably have a couple of hundred thousand people, or at least 50k with the virus already. So our numbers, like Italy, will increase due to more testing.
Gizzards
AG
ETFan said:

Exsurge Domine said:

Just like here, but a few weeks ahead of us.
Phat32
AG
I notice Madagascar is still clean. Everyone who has played Pandemic knows they are the last hope.
PJYoung
AG
OP updated with today's #s.

Big Al 1992
AG
Remember when Diamond Princess was in 3rd place like 2 weeks ago? And man if that's accurate, Singapore really nipped this in the bud- they were thought to have spectacular Heath care system and we should look to them.
Irwin M. Fletcher
AG
Really like the worldometers link. There was another thread started yesterday that had that link along with some others. One had the US and you could click on each state to see what counties had confirmed positives etc. I can't find that thread, not sure why it would have been deleted. Does anyone know of that site I am referring to?

Edit: Found it

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en
PJYoung
AG
updated with yesterday's #s and the per 100,000 state map
Not a Bot
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Remember when Diamond Princess was in 3rd place like 2 weeks ago? And man if that's accurate, Singapore really nipped this in the bud- they were thought to have spectacular Heath care system and we should look to them.

Someone mentioned that's on another thread but I think it's worth pointing out again. East Asia has had several outbreaks of random viruses (SARS-1, Bird Flu, etc.) over the last 15 to 20 years. They've had plans in place for this eventuality and have experience dealing with this stuff. The public generally knows the risks and what needs to be done.

I think a lot of the problems in the US and in Europe are a symptom of "can't happen here" attitude. These situations are always a learning experience. East Asia has more experience dealing with this stuff and they are simply better with practice.
NASAg03
This is my current go-to:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/peteraldhous/coronavirus-updating-charts-us-world-compare

Interractive with updates for total case and recorded deaths.

My concern:

"Deaths are likely to be counted more accurately than cases, which rely on how many people have been tested. "

After extensive testing and letting the dust settle, the mortality ratio in China stands at 0.4%. In S Korea, it's 0.9%.
PJYoung
AG
NASAg03 said:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/peteraldhous/coronavirus-updating-charts-us-world-compare

My concern:

"Deaths are likely to be counted more accurately than cases, which rely on how many people have been tested. "

After extensive testing and letting the dust settle, the mortality ratio in China stands at 0.4%. In S Korea, it's 0.9%.

Of SK's 8,320 cases, 6,838 are still active.

How many of those will die? Waaaaaaay too soon to peg it at .9% in South Korea.
PJYoung
AG
Updated

Dddfff
AG
PJYoung said:

NASAg03 said:

My concern:

And how many have it that didn't get tested? Waaaaay too soon to peg any number anywhere.
AustinAg2K
Moxley said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Someone mentioned that's on another thread but I think it's worth pointing out again. East Asia has had several outbreaks of random viruses (SARS-1, Bird Flu, etc.) over the last 15 to 20 years. They've had plans in place for this eventuality and have experience dealing with this stuff. The public generally knows the risks and what needs to be done.

I think a lot of the problems in the US and in Europe are a symptom of "can't happen here" attitude. These situations are always a learning experience. East Asia has more experience dealing with this stuff and they are simply better with practice.

Also, the culture of Eastern Asian countries is much more about conformity and do what's best for the collective. Where Western Culture is more about freedom and individualism. That makes it easier for their citizens to buy in, while we have a lot of people who fight whatever the government says.
TXAggie2011
AG
Beat the Hell said:

PJYoung said:

NASAg03 said:

My concern:

And how many have it that didn't get tested? Waaaaay too soon to peg any number anywhere.

Maybe a lot. But for what it's worth, South Korea aggressively tested and continues to test people who came near confirmed or suspected cases.
SW AG80
AG
Interesting stuff.
Exsurge Domine
Beat the Hell said:

PJYoung said:

NASAg03 said:

My concern:

Showing almost 80% could be asymptomatic
buda91
PJYoung
AG
updated
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Here is a graph i have been keeping, to track the changing CFR for each country above 5k cases. i'll update this post as i update my graphs. Data from https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

(more info on this last plot on this thread)
Data updated 0 GMT 4/9/2020

my interesting observations:
3/19/2020:
  • China and S. Korea are the only two that have exited exponential growth so should be settling in on their final numbers. looks like 4% for china and 1%-1.5% for S. Korea (who still has 76% of its cases as active)
  • The US is the only country in exponential growth with a declining CFR (since it was asked, CFR is Case Fatality rate, or simply the number of deaths divided by the number of cases). This could possibly be in part due to the fact that our early data skewed high due to the first tracked outbreak being in a nursing home. It looks like our final number and S. Korea's might meet.
  • Germany's number is a confusing anomaly. They are about 1 day ahead of us on the daily total case curve. Have almost no deaths. One possible explanation is that maybe their outbreak started in younger communities. I'm very interested to watch their number as they only really started having deaths a few days ago (3/15/2020)
3/23/2020:
  • Two more countries have joined the 5k+ but i haven't added them yet (UK and Switzerland). I'll add them once they pass S. Korea.
  • I added a CFR plot based on days past the 100th case to get a better look at how the countries compare to each other, not just where they are today. From that it looks like about 3 basic groupings with the upper tier (Italy, Iran, and Spain) looking like things are going to be really rough for them over the coming month. i think i read that for those cases ending in death, the average time to death after exposure was 17.5 days
  • With S. Korea down to only 66% active cases, I'm feeling pretty good about my original prediction
  • USA has zero separation between the active and total cases line but the CFR curve seems to be bottoming out. This would lead me to believe that we should expect our CFR to start climbing again sometime over the next week. Based on our volume of cases and looking at the shape of S. Korea's curve, i'm going to predict we settle in the 2%-2.25% range but that is a very loose guess at this point with a lot of variables still shaking out
  • Finally I added a new plot showing total cases vs days since the 100th case on a semi-log plot. I did this because adding new data this morning it seemed like a lot of countries had begun to see a drop in new cases. This plot confirms that. We will see if it holds true this week or was just a data lag due to the weekend, but with the exception of one, every country on my list has fallen off exponential growth. (for those unfamiliar, on a semi-log plot, exponential growth is a straight line)
  • Which brings me to my final observation of the morning. The USA. Based on the latest data update, we are still solidly exponential at a rate of 10x increase every 8 days. This is with widespread testing only just now rolling out, so i wouldn't expect to start see effects from that for another day or two. At this rate we will have surpassed China (their reported numbers at least) by my Thursday update, and broken 100k by Friday. I realize there are a lot of factors here, but this trend cause me to really hope our efforts as a country towards the end of this last week prove to be enough to start bending our curve down soon.
3/24/2020:
  • Switzerland passed S. Korea so got added to my list
  • Italy is seeing some real separation between their total and active cases curves so I added a detailed look for them. Hopefully this means their CFR will stop going up shortly and maybe even come back down a bit over the next few weeks
  • USA is starting to show a bit of separation between total and active curves, and consequently, with yesterday's data saw an increase in CFR for the first time 3/3/20
3/25/2020:
  • Unfortunately it looks like S. Korea's CFR rise has been accelerating a bit over the last few days. Not a good trend
  • Looks like USA's CFR has indeed started to bend back upwards.
3/27/2020:
  • UK passed S. Korea so they got added to the list
  • Had to adjust the CFR scale for Italy, really hope they bend that down very soon...
  • Also corrected two "mistakes" on the normalized time graph. I was off one day on where i started S.Korea (started them at 200 cases instead of 100). China was starting at 500 cases due to when data tracking began, so i estimated where there 100th case day should have been and shifted them forward to start on day 4 which lines them up with the fastest growing other country to 500 cases. This may have some inaccuracies but should be the fairest comparison (all might be garbage anyways depending on your view of the data out of china.)
  • Added a stand alone USA graph showing the exponential growth curve for the whole time as well as what it is over the last 7 days to show how our growth is or isn't changing.
4/1/2020
  • US new case growth has definitively fallen off of an exponential trend and for the last 10 days fits a 2nd order polynomial nearly perfectly. whether this is a true slow in case growth or just a slow in the growth of new confirmed cases is yet to be seen.
  • had to adjust the CFR scale for Italy again
PJYoung
AG
Quote:

China and S. Korea are the only two that have exited exponential growth so should be settling in on their final numbers. looks like 4% for china and 1%-1.5% for S. Korea (who still has 76% of its cases as active)

This is what a lot of people don't understand. And your active cases go down, your CFR has to go up.
Exsurge Domine
BlackGoldAg2011 said:

Here is a graph i have been keeping, to track the changing CFR for each country above 5k cases. i'll update this post as i update my graphs. Data from https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Data updated 0 GMT 3/19/2020

my interesting observations:
3/19/2020:
  • China and S. Korea are the only two that have exited exponential growth so should be settling in on their final numbers. looks like 4% for china and 1%-1.5% for S. Korea (who still has 76% of its cases as active)
  • The US is the only country in exponential growth with a declining CFR. This could possibly be in part due to the fact that our early data skewed high due to the first tracked outbreak being in a nursing home. It looks like our final number and S. Korea's might meet.
  • Germany's number is a confusing anomaly. They are about 1 day ahead of us on the daily total case curve. Have almost no deaths. On possible explanation is that maybe their outbreak started in younger communities. I'm very interested to watch their number as they only really started having deaths a few days ago (3/15/2020)

I saw a random high follower tweet post that they're using that hcq-azithromycin cocktail in at the very beginning
PJYoung
AG
HotardAg07
AG
This guy's are the best: @jburnmurdoch

PJYoung
AG
Sq 17
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1099389/coronavirus-deaths-by-region-in-italy/
now that italy has over 3000 deaths this chart shows why they thought shutting the Country down was necessary. if anybody can insert the chart instead of the link that would be much appreciated

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.