Astros offseason thread

350,844 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
MosesHallRAB04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah not sure I see that happening. Hasn't his production leveled off lately?

Maybe we just sign him for the 1st series to piss off the Rangers.
mazag08
AG
Ya the unearned runs for Giles is worrisome. His job is to come in and save the inning. Giving up runs whether earned or unearned is not good for someone in his role.
Miles Finch
Unearned runs are now the pitcher's fault?
Mathguy64
AG
Miles Finch said:

Unearned runs are now the pitcher's fault?

If the bases are juiced with unearned runners and you have one batter to get one out in a 3 run game and you give up a big fly, then the answer is yes they do.
bullard21k
AG
Didn't Giles have some strange stat last year where he a large % of unearned runners score?

I can't ecactly recall what the stat was but feel it was something like that
Agnzona
Inherited runners also don't count as ERA. However for any reliever runs allowed is the only stat that really matters. One could have a sub .100 era and blow 50 saves.
zgood10
AG
k20dub said:

bigjag19 said:

Bautista? This coming on anyone's radar?
I saw the tweet too. I doubt it's real
Where was this?
Deluxe
AG
@astrosfuture replied to an unsourced tweet that Bautista was signing with the Astros.

IMO this would make no sense. He's washed up. And I presume if we signed an OF this late in the game, it would be because we don't quite trust Fisher with the job... meaning we'd angle for a lefty hitter, not a righty.

If we don't think Fisher is the guy, I'd much much much rather just give Jake the LF job and wait on Tucker than sign Bautista.
bullard21k
AG
I don't think that's true but I would think if he came here it would be as a DH for the most part.

Deluxe
AG
Last year Bautista had a -1.7 WAR and .674 OPS. He did hit 23 HRs but only drove in 65 runs.

But with all that said, in Luhnow I trust. IF somehow this is true, maybe our front office sees a tweak or two in his mechanics to get his mojo going again.
Deluxe
AG
bullard21k said:

I don't think that's true but I would think if he came here it would be as a DH for the most part.

Yea, you're prob right.
CoachRTM
AG
He'd be this year's Carlos Beltran. Older guy motivated to win a championship that is past his prime and plays DH for us.

Beltran was a very positive player for us in the locker room, my impression of Bautista makes me believe that he wouldn't be quite the same, but what do I know? It would spice up the Rangers rivalry if nothing else. Make him play first base and it would be must watch TV when Odor got on base.
NotGibbs
**** it. Let's sign Bautista solely to get in fights with rat face
NotGibbs
But obviously the Astros aren't gonna sign him
zgood10
AG
Lol, McTaggart shot it down
07ag
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

I remember going to watch the stros play the indians in an exhibition game at MMP maybe 7 or 8 years ago? Might've been all of 10,000 people there tops. We sat right behind vistors dugout and paid about $15 per seat. my how the times have changed.
in 2014 they were giving away tickets to people,, i remember signing some tv petition for the astros and getting a pair of free tickets every month for several years. a couple times in the first or second row of the lower level
iBrad
AG
Agnzona said:

Inherited runners also don't count as ERA. However for any reliever runs allowed is the only stat that really matters. One could have a sub .100 era and blow 50 saves.
If a reliever comes in with the bases loaded and gives up a routine ground ball to first that is booted allowing two runs to score, the reliever did his job, even if his statsheet says that he allowed two inherited runners to score. Run prevention isn't solely on the pitcher.
Frok
AG
At the gym and I notice ESPN is comparing Judge & Stanton to Mantle and Maris. Hope we can knock out ESPN's boys again.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Did Mantle and Maris strike out that much?
TXAggie2011
AG
FWIW, Mantle had the most strikeouts in the league 5 times. He's just about the most prolific pre-steroid era strikeout guy.

It wasn't as much as these guys do now, but strikeouts in general didn't happen as much back then.

Maris didn't strikeout all that much, but I understand the comparison with the 61 home run season.
Frok
AG
I don't see the comparison. Mantle and Maris didn't lose to the Astros.
Farmer1906
AG
That team won because they have Whitey Ford, not Mantle & Maris. The 2 combined for 3/25 (.120) in the world series while all Ford did was go 2-0 with 0 ER, 6 H, and 1 Complete Game. Severino, Tanaka, CC, and Gray aren't no Ford.

rosco511
AG
JD Davis has two home runs today. He has been crushing it this spring, but I always feel like prospect types with great springs do not generally carry over into April when the season starts because, among other things, that would then require them to have an extended period of staying hot and locked in at the plate. I have not looked for one but would like to see an analysis on the correlation between prospect types that have either really good or bad spring stats and then the first month of season stats.
Farmer1906
AG
Two years ago Tyler White the MLB Player of the Week. He had 5 HRs, 12 RBI, and an OPS of 1.124 through his first 50 ABs. You gotta prove it over a few hundred ABs in my book.
Ag_07
AG
Hello

Ag_07
AG
And there's this from MLB.com article titled Top 10 MLB Bullpens for 2018

Quote:

3. Astros
Closer: Ken Giles
Top setup options: Chris Devenski, Will Harris, Hector Rondon, Joe Smith

The Astros used smoke, mirrors, Lance McCullers Jr. and Charlie Morton to get their biggest outs of the postseason. Hard to know how much to read into the October 'pen vs. the regular-season 'pen, but it's generally best to bet on the bigger samples, and a strong, deep rotation could take some pressure off the relief corps. Giles had a 2.30 ERA and a 1.04 WHIP in 62 2/3 regular-season innings last year. A big key will be Chris Devenski providing similar value to what he gave Houston in 2017, when he ate up 80 2/3 innings with a 0.94 WHIP.

iBrad
AG
So in one game today, we lost a no hitter in the bottom of the 9th and tied 2-2. In the other, Sipp struck out three in his inning of work, including Harper.
iBrad
AG
So in one game today, we lost a no hitter in the bottom of the 9th and tied 2-2. In the other, Sipp struck out three in his inning of work.
BowSowy
AG
iBrad said:

Agnzona said:

If a reliever comes in with the bases loaded and gives up a routine ground ball to first that is booted allowing two runs to score, the reliever did his job, even if his statsheet says that he allowed two inherited runners to score. Run prevention isn't solely on the pitcher.

This is the correct answer. People in here have such a anger boner against Giles that I think it's affecting their logic.
TXAG14
TXAG14
Let's get it.

bearkatag15
AG
Someone made a better version

BTKAG97
AG
Is that considered music?
CFTXAG10
AG
bearkatag15
AG

Assume Davis or Fisher would be sent down when Yuli gets back?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.