Astros offseason thread

337,175 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
Thriller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stupid autocorrect
Farmer1906
AG
Agnzona said:

Which Astros can realistically have better years at the plate this year?

Bregman
Gattis
Correa (more ABs)
bearkatag15
AG
Short interviews with Kyle Tucker and JD Davis:

iBrad
AG
Agnzona said:

Not really a particular player, but we can get more production from DH and LF.
Farmer1906
AG
iBrad said:

Agnzona said:

Not really a particular player, but we can get more production from DH and LF.
Fair

LF
wRC+ 102
wOBA .321
OPS .751

DH
wRC+ 78
wOBA .286
OPS .668
CFTXAG10
AG

The Corpus Christi Raspas and the San Antonio Flying Chanclas
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
NotGibbs said:

spadilly said:

Kashchei said:

Why do we have to start off the season AT Texas? Playing a 4 game series against a dumpy team in a dumpy park. I guess Texas will just get their beating early this year...

Agreed. It's ridiculous. The WS champs should always start at home. I know the schedules are made in advance, but MLB just needs to schedule division games for the first series with the flexibility to flip two of them if need be (the NL and AL champs if they are scheduled to start on the road).

No way. Do you have any idea how much that would inconvenience the Rangers season ticket holders

Early favorite for post of the year
Agnzona
I don't mind that marketing but have trouble understanding how Houston FC 1837 was racist and offensive.
Mr.Bond
AG
Agnzona said:

I don't mind that marketing but have trouble understanding how Houston FC 1837 was racist and offensive.

1836*

Because the vatos said it was to symbolize texas' independence from Mexico..... When in reality it was the year city of Houston was founded. PC Bull**** before it got popular
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

BowSowy
AG
Agnzona said:

This is all assuming no injuries:

I think we saw the peak for Altuve, Marwin, and Springer.

I think we saw the norm for McCann, Reddick, and Yuli.

I think it's reasonable to expect guys like Marisnick and Gattis to take a somewhat small step forward this year.

I think we'll see a big step forward for Correa and Bregman.

If he gets significant playing time, I think we see a massive step forward for Fisher.
AstroAggie15
AG
Last season was not "the norm" for Reddick. That was his first season hitting above .300.

I expect him to regress this year
bearkatag15
AG
AstroAggie15 said:

Last season was not "the norm" for Reddick. That was his first season hitting above .300.

Same can be said for Marwin.
W
AG
the entire outfield...Springer, Reddick, and Marwin had career years.

we'll see who can match last year's numbers
BowSowy
AG
Fair, he had 127wRC+, 3.5 WAR last year but those aren't too far off from some of his years with the A's. He might be a regression candidate, but I don't think he'll regress a lot.
Ag_07
AG
Not to be a sunshine pumper (eff it...that's exactly what this is) but I'm not really expecting many guys to regress. The changes that we saw in their approach at the plate that lead to success are changes that can be sustained. Couple that with the stacked lineup these guys are in and I think we'll see similar numbers to 2017.

I happen to think it was more than just random breakout lightening in a bottle. Reddick had a career year but this was the first time he had been in decent lineup with guys around him. Marwin had career year but he made some great changes in his approach at the plate that i think will stick. Gurriel had a career year but it was hist first full year in the majors and is on par with about what we expected.

Maybe I'm still high on the championship ganja but I don't think we're gonna see much regression. We'll still be one of the 2-3 best offenses in the majors.

irish pete ag06
AG
I agree with Luhnow when he says this team is better than last years team. Does that mean they'll win it all again? No. But this team is more talented and lots of guys are not even in their prime yet or just getting there.
gigemJTH12
AG
guys need some advice...

should I go see us play in Arizona in May or vs Kanas City in June??? its either/or and im limited to those two weekends.

any advice is appreciated. thanks!
AstroAggie15
AG
Unfortunately neither of those are "destination" ball parks.

You will probably find more to do in Arizona though
gigemJTH12
AG
yeah I know neither is a "destination"...that's why I ask. I am just trying to make my yearly road trip and I am super limited on weekends this year.

Ag_07
AG
AZ

Play a round of golf or two while you're there. Plus AZ is a playoff team and KC sucks azz
gigemJTH12
AG
agree. I think KC is better as far as ballparks go. but AZ would be more fun.
The Milkman
AG
I would say KC. Thats a better ballpark, the food in KC is better than in AZ, and KC has some cool breweries.
coastalAg
AG
I really like KC as a town and Kauffman is a better place to watch a game than Chase Field. Unless you are an avid golfer, KC is my recommendation.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Whatever regression we see, it will be way made up for by having a warm body at DH.
Agnzona
If you have never been to AZ not even a choice. Sedona and or Grand Canyons are a must plus a good ball game....
MelvinUdall
I think what makes this team a potentially special team that is ranked as possibly one of the top 10 teams of all time is the shear amount of depth in the pitching staff and the overall depth, even into the minor league system. IMO, if we see a drop off it will either be a couple of key season ending issues, and lack of interest early on in the season due to winning it all last year. It is human nature to let the foot off the gas when you just won it all last year, here is to hoping they keep pressing.
Agnzona
This season could be historical and boy would that be fun.
TXAggie2011
AG
I'd go to KC. Kaufmann is a better ballpark, it's very well done after the renovations, and KC has surprisingly become a cool city to spend a few days.

Go check out the Negro Leagues museum while you are there. Well done baseball museum.
TXAggie2011
AG
Take a baseball trip to Arizona when you can go to spring training.
iBrad
AG
AstroAggie15 said:

The Astros sat Reddick versus a lot of lefties last year, only giving him the start against guys he could handle. I think that led to his improved average versus lefties. The days off also contributed to him staying healthy. I think he'll put up another quality season this year.

Today, he's tagged Gio Gonzalez (a lefty) for a 2-run triple and 2-run homerun. That's a good sign with the season fast approaching.

RHP .314
LHP .315

RHP .322
LHP .155
Ag_07
AG
Well it's the top of the 5th and Reddick has already hit a triple and a HR.

Regression my ass
AstroAggie15
AG
can anybody pull the combined ERA of this spring?

Good lord theyve been untouchable
k20dub
AG
Ag_07 said:

Well it's the top of the 5th and Reddick has already hit a triple and a HR.

Regression my ass
Now a double away from the cycle in the 6th.
The Milkman
AG
AstroAggie15 said:

Its an MLB leading 3.02
Ag_07
AG
The Milkman said:

AstroAggie15 said:

Its an MLB leading 3.02

For starters it's 1.59.

The next best in the AL is TOR at 3.78

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.