Astros offseason thread

343,286 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
Buck Compton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
astros4545 said:

Buck Compton said:

I think he doesn't quite understand what it takes to be a successful MLB hitter (or pitcher). Or the people in his camp don't.

There's only so many hours in a day. Don't half ass two things... whole ass one thing. If he tries to be both full time he won't fulfill his potential in either.

Yah , but he can't spend 5 hours a day throwing a baseball, he has time to commit to both in my opinion
Also an easy way to burn out.

Even considering that, what is an effective major league ace doing during his off time? Ask someone like Kershaw or Verlander. They're pouring over analytics or hitter tendencies for upcoming opponents, watching film, recovering, working with the pitching coach to tweak mechanics issues, etc.

Much less tweaking hitting mechanics, taking BP, watching tape of each pitcher, working with the hitting coach, training your eyes, etc.

Also consider during the season, you allot 4-5 hours per game. You only have 6 hours (maybe) outside of that to actually work on things, some of which is taken up by travel. If you hit as a DH, on a getaway day or similar, your entire day will be hitting and travel. No pitching work at all. For someone trying to overcome the learning curve in the MLB, not conducive at all.
Mr.Ackar07
Ag_07 said:

Honestly I think the recovery time from pitching will be a hindrance to him being a successful pitcher and/or DH.

Yeah you only pitch every 5 days but I don't think he'll be able to get the rest and recovery needed in between starts if he's taking BP, hitting, baserunning, etc. Pitchers put in a lot of work in between starts in order to get ready for the next one.

That's a lot to expect from a guy having never played a full MLB season.
Not to mention bullpen sessions between starts and studying opposing batters
NotGibbs
Obviously time will tell. But there's a reason that no one pitches and hits full time
astros4545
AG
I guess I'm the only one that wants to see it tried
Ag_07
AG
astros4545 said:

I guess I'm the only one that wants to see it tried

Oh I'd like to see it tried.

As long it's not us that pays him $20MM to try it out.
HotardAg07
AG
That's peanuts. It's not my money. I'd love to have him here.
screw-tu
Deluxe Blu-ray of the World Series arrives tomorrow. Made it down to $44 from the original $60. I went ahead and got that plus what I assume is the highlight Blu-ray for $20
I know what I'll be doing next weekend.
Prosperdick
AG
Finally got my framed Springer SI cover from 2014...it took way too long but they did a nice job and looks great in my office (love working from home).
screw-tu
Same here. My sis got me one of those framed limited editions of the team piling on after the final out with some other tidbits in the frame. Looks nice.
astros4545
AG
Rangers sign Mike Minor LHP

I'm sure he was someone we were looking at

Got to wonder why the Rangers are even trying, they should just play dead for the next 10 years
Buck Compton
AG
astros4545 said:

Rangers sign Mike Minor LHP

I'm sure he was someone we were looking at

Got to wonder why the Rangers are even trying, they should just play dead for the next 10 years
Doubt we were seriously looking at him. What was so different that made his numbers that much better this year after missing two seasons? Maybe there is something there, but a lot of ??? around Minor still.
Ag_07
AG
Eh...Still doesn't change the fact that Perez and Fister are their #2 and #3 starters. Throw in Bush who is converting to a starter and Minor.

I think they still suck.
bearkatag15
AG
So someone posted Chip Brown's mailbag column on the premium board about different updates with tu and saw this tidbit...

Quote:

As far as athletic director, I'm told Texas will have a new AD by late February. In my opinion, the two best candidates are TCU's Chris Del Conte and Houston Astros' president Reid Ryan.

No way that could happen right??

Ag_07
AG
Wow

Think it'd be a good fit but would he really leave a World Champion operation for a college AD gig?
BMX Bandit
Altuve & Watt named SI sportsmen of the year
Mr.Bond
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Altuve & Watt named SI sportsmen of the year

What about kaeperdicks
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

jkag89
BMX Bandit
What about him? That on your mind?
Mr.Bond
AG
Just figured he'd run away with awards this year
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Mr.Ackar07
I like how Altuve is standing up and JJ is sitting down and yet, they are the same height.

If this were a Hallmark movie: But their hearts were the same size.
CFTXAG10
AG
irish pete ag06
AG
screw-tu said:

AggieDem said:

https://instagr.am/p/BcJRX0TDPsL

Oh hi, Julia.

She was a Rangerette with my wife.
Mr.Ackar07
irish pete ag06 said:

screw-tu said:

AggieDem said:

Oh hi, Julia.

Sounds kinky
Prosperdick
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

screw-tu said:

AggieDem said:

Oh hi, Julia.

My one complaint, why did Julia have to wear the shirt around her waist? Also, rule #1.
irish pete ag06
AG
friscodick said:

irish pete ag06 said:

screw-tu said:

AggieDem said:

Oh hi, Julia.

My one complaint, why did Julia have to wear the shirt around her waist? Also, rule #1.
Shirt around the waist is a "hip hop" look. I know these things because my wife owns a dance studio.

And, yes, my wife is a Cardinal fan... the whole family is from Missouri originally.
Mr.Ackar07
irish pete ag06 said:

And, yes, my wife is a Cardinal fan... the whole family is from Missouri originally.
At least give her a Wacha jersey to wear.
Prosperdick
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

friscodick said:

irish pete ag06 said:

screw-tu said:

AggieDem said:

Oh hi, Julia.

Shirt around the waist is a "hip hop" look. I know these things because my wife owns a dance studio.

Excellent rule compliance and congrats!!
NotGibbs
Dammit Pete. I thought you knew better than to marry a Cards fan. Are you gonna tell us next that the kid behind you wearing the Rangers hat is yours too?
DVC2010
AG
I really liked Pete before.
mwm
Dang...I would've thought Pete was a lot younger than that.
mwm
Congrats to the City of Houston!
p.s. I don't guess that ever happened in Arlington, did it?
irish pete ag06
AG
Ha. She's a big time Astros fan also. She was wearing that stuff at the Astros vs the Cardinals games a couple of years ago. She's got her a World Series shirt and everything, now.
irish pete ag06
AG
mwm said:

Dang...I would've thought Pete was a lot younger than that.
Thanks?

Wait!
shano0603
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

friscodick said:

irish pete ag06 said:

screw-tu said:

AggieDem said:

Oh hi, Julia.

Don't look into his eyes
Mr.Bond
AG
Amazon delayed my world series DVD

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.