Astros offseason thread

343,287 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
1876er
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AustinAg2K said:

Hopefully we move back to the NL now.
Why would you want that? Watching pitchers "hit" is one of the worst things in baseball. Getting Gattis at bats is great.
Agnzona
Can never have to much pitching. And there are no real holes for a veteran in the lineup to acquire.
bigjag19
AG
I am ok losing Fiers and Giles. Heads are wrong.
KC_Ag14
AG
My lack concern goes to the fact that I think the payroll will increase substantially. But this ownership group and executive team might be one of the smartest in all of sports. They're not going to break the bank at risk of losing long term success (i.e. the Angels). Still have really good prospects and they're always looking to get more. I guarantee you they will do all they can to pay the core 4 position players (top 4 in the order last night).
W
AG
regarding the lineup...

Marwin and Reddick had career years. Springer had a career first half. Will be interesting to see if they can repeat those seasons in 2018
W
AG
and at catcher...McCann's workload will need to be cut back during the season. He started 94 games at catcher during the regular season. Should get that number down to 80 games or so in 2018. He ran out of gas at the plate in the second half

(note...Gattis started 47 games at catcher)
cef88
AG
Spend some money at DH (if they can find a guy better then Gattis) or try one of the young outfielders they can't find playing time for. let Gattis take more games away from McCann.
spend on the core four (or five if you include the entire infield and Springer).
Spend the rest of your money in BP.
be willing to walk away or trade the rest of the everyday players and the back half of the rotation guys.

Not sure any of the free agents listed earlier are going to be back.
AustinCountyAg
It should be obvious to not get too concerned about the future increase in payroll. In Lunhow I trust
AggieHusker
AG
Houston Astros Salaries and Contracts
BowSowy
AG
WB91 said:

That payroll figure is because Verlander is due 56 mil over the next two years, take that away and what is the ranking, also excuse the technicality, those players are pre-arbitration, but were on 1 year deals this year, all I'm saying is that ownership will have to step up or a lot of these guys will be gone soon.
False, again (damn, how wrong can one person be on a thread?). The #18 ranking people are talking about was based on opening day payroll. Add $28mm to that and we jump up to 14th.

But you're right, it's very unlikely we manage to keep this entire core. I think most of us understand that betwee Keuchel, Springer, Marwin, etc. some are going to have to walk away. Personally, I think it's most important for us to keep Correa, Altuve, and Bregman. That'll be a lot of money but those are the positions of most importance.
Ecce Homo
BowSowy said:

WB91 said:

That payroll figure is because Verlander is due 56 mil over the next two years, take that away and what is the ranking, also excuse the technicality, those players are pre-arbitration, but were on 1 year deals this year, all I'm saying is that ownership will have to step up or a lot of these guys will be gone soon.
False, again (damn, how wrong can one person be on a thread?). The #18 ranking people are talking about was based on opening day payroll. Add $28mm to that and we jump up to 14th.

But you're right, it's very unlikely we manage to keep this entire core. I think most of us understand that betwee Keuchel, Springer, Marwin, etc. some are going to have to walk away. Personally, I think it's most important for us to keep Correa, Altuve, and Bregman. That'll be a lot of money but those are the positions of most importance.
It's definitely not something we have to worry about right now.

Next year we're going to be paying something around 23,000,000 for Springer, Altuve, Correa, Gonzalez and Bregman, unless they open up the check books to sign them for a while. $23 freaking million. Add another 2 worlds series titles in the next 3 years; then we can worry about letting Springer walk.
Farmer1906
AG
Ecce Homo said:

BowSowy said:

WB91 said:

Next year we're going to be paying something around 23,000,000 for Springer, Altuve, Correa, Gonzalez and Bregman, unless they open up the check books to sign them for a while. $23 freaking million. Add another 2 worlds series titles in the next 3 years; then we can worry about letting Springer walk.
Oh it is just that easy huh?
Ecce Homo
Farmer1906 said:

Ecce Homo said:

BowSowy said:

WB91 said:

Oh it is just that easy huh?
I can dream.
Cromagnum
AG
Reddick needs to get paid considerably better so he can go to batting practice.
(removed:110205)
Ecce Homo said:

So let's talk rotation...I'm guessing:

Verlander
Keuchel
Morton
Peacock
McCullers

no more room for McHugh? Do we put him in the bullpen?
Fiers, Martes, & Musgrove are starters too. I assume Fiers gets dealt.
(removed:110205)
Basketball and Chain said:

Need a top end lefty reliever. If he can also close, even better. If he can't close, need a Giles replacement.

I'm really interested to see what Luhnow does with the rotation. Verlander, Keuchel, McCullers, Morton, McHugh, Peacock, Fiers and Martes are all under contract. My guess is we go with a rotation of Verlander, Keuchel, McCullers, Morton and McHugh, use Peacock in long relief and for spot starts, trade Fiers, and use Martes as a back end reliever that throws gas.
Agree. I like this. I would like to see Peacock and Devenski be the swing-men in the bullpen, rather than just Devenski as the "Andrew Miller" type. Maybe we need to go back and ask again on Britton to fill the lefty spot.
Ecce Homo
Sid said:

Ecce Homo said:

Verlander
Keuchel
Morton
Peacock
McCullers

Yep, Fiers is gone and I think Musgrove is going to be long relief from here on out; Martes I still think ends up as a starter but will play bullpen this next year full time.
badharambe
AG
WE GET THIS FOR FREEEEEEEEE

#thebestthingsinlifearefree
#nosuchthingasafreelunchbutwegetafreeKATE

https://instagr.am/p/Ba2Df0dHsTY
txag614
Ecce Homo said:

Sid said:

Ecce Homo said:

Verlander
Keuchel
Morton
Peacock
McCullers

Yep, Fiers is gone and I think Musgrove is going to be long relief from here on out; Martes I still think ends up as a starter but will play bullpen this next year full time.
Martes has a long way to go imo.
Wizard
Let's say **** it and go get Giancarlo Stanton.

Maximus Steelchest
Wizard said:

The Astros should be a really attractive destination for guys that want to win and win big.
DVC2010
AG
Wizard said:

I think this is a joke, but just in case it isn't, that sort of contract is how you get 3 consecutive 100-loss seasons.
Ecce Homo
DVC2010 said:

Wizard said:

I think this is a joke, but just in case it isn't, that sort of contract is how you get 3 consecutive 100-loss seasons.

El Caballo
Agnzona
If you want wild speculation why not go get Justin Upton?
. . .
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21264039/los-angeles-angels-agree-terms-outfielder-justin-upton-five-year-contract
Johnsy3
AG
DVC2010 said:

Wizard said:

And also 4 more rings

Springer
Altuve
Stanton
Correa
Bregman
Gonzlez
Gurriel
Gattis/Reddick
McCann
Agnzona
Well damn there goes my dream of passing the '27 Yankees as the greatest offensive team ever.
bearkatag15
AG
2017-18 Top 50 MLB Free Agents With Predictions from MLB Trade Rumors:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/2017-18-top-50-mlb-free-agents-with-predictions.html

Spoiler: They predict the Astros to sign Wade Davis

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/daviswa01.shtml?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-
W
AG
Wade Davis is 32 years old. Doesn't seem like the Astros' style to offer him a 4 or 5-year big money contract.

what about a 1 or 2-year flyer on a left-handed stick like Alonso or Carlos Gonzalez. They might not break the bank (to replace Beltran)
Pahdz
I'm also excited to see what Moran can do
PoppaB05
AG
The Astros are well built and in a great position to be really good at least for the next 3-4 years. Payroll will be an issue at some point, but not this year. Next year's team will have the same core stars but the fringe will be different. You never know how everyone will respond to those extra innings and fatigue from the playoffs. I expect at least 2 starters to miss significant time which means we needed 7-8 good ones. I expect JV, Keuchel, and Morton to be locks. Lance likely is too, but if he can't stay healthy again they might look to move him to the bullpen and solve the closer problem. Martes, McHugh, Peacock, Musgrove will all get the chance to start at some point with Peacock and Musgrove the most likely to stay in the pen. Fiers might be traded for a bp arm. Feliz and Paulino will be given every opportunity to be our version of LA's Morrow out of the pen. We probably let Liriano go and possibly Gregerson. I think they will wait till the deadline and try and trade for a closer if needed. Heck, Peacock might be able to do it. Dude was nails in the playoffs. I expect us to sign a couple low risk lefties to see if they can stick in Spring.
Offense is easier to predict. As much as we love Beltran and Maybin, there is no room for them on the team. Fisher will get every chance to win left field and send Marwin back to a pure Super sub role. Moran will be groomed to eventually take over Marwins role since there is no way we can pay him what he deserves. White and Reed will get one last shot to stick with the team as DH/1B. White actually hit well this time up at the end of the year. Tucker will get a shot this spring to see what he can do. He won't make the club it off spring but he may get called up once we get past the threshold for another year of club control.
This is going to be FUN!
bjork
I've done the research.

Astros have never not won the WS the year following a WS win. History favors us.
W
AG
that's a good point about the pitching staff throwing all the way to November 1st. That's a month longer than most of them were used to
Philip J Fry
AG
If this WS taught us anything, it's that you still need starting pitchers who can go deep if you are going to win it. Can't imagine us giving up Peacock or Morton.
iBrad
AG
We won't be able to keep everyone forever, but we've got more talent in the pipeline. In the next year or two, guys like Forrest Whitley and Kyle Tucker will be making their debut. We should be competitive for a long time. I don't think Luhnow is the complacent type.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.